Antony Martial set to leave when his contract expires

Means he couldn't be bothered to go the extra mile, had little to no fire in his belly. Did not have the required fortitude to lead the line and Man United, he is too passive and unbothered. I had high hopes for him, but it didn't take me 9 seasons to realize he was a waste of time.
I think most sensible supporters realised Martial was not right for United after his second or third season, he never seemed interested or showed any real desire; Im not sorry to see him go, just as I wasnt Pogba, Lingard, Di Maria, Alexi Sanchez and Sancho who all believed they were bigger than the Club.

Buying him was not a mistake. He was a promising and talented player. The mistake was extending his contract when he had so little to show for it.
Extending his contract was fine. He went on to be our best player the following season and looked likely to be our starting striker for most of the next decade. Unfortunately injuries put a stop to that but nobody could have predicted that.

The wage he was given is a different matter. Definitely shouldn't have got as much as he did at that time.

I wish him all the best and harbour no ill will towards him, but I find it baffling that he has stayed as long as he has given the amount of time he's spent injured.

I wish him all the best and harbour no ill will towards him, but I find it baffling that he has stayed as long as he has given the amount of time he's spent injured.
I agree; the fact he was offered silly wages wasnt down to him and the fact he was retained long after he should have been sold, was, again, not down to him. But I would have thought any half decent pro would rather be playing than sitting on the bench or not selected, which was often the case with Martial even when he was fit. Martial could have asked for a transfer, demanded one even, but didnt, it seems; why not? Apathetic is probably the most generous way to describe Martial and his attitude towards playing for Manchester United.

I wish him every success for the future.

However, it's hard to miss somebody who never plays and never looks interested when he does.

Overall, a huge disappointment for me. Started off as very promising, but ultimately he has been here for too long with too little to show for it. When I think about what has gone wrong with us over the last decade, his name is ultimately one of the first that I think about.

He should have left 2/3 seasons ago, but I’d still say he was a successful signing overall.

He should have left 2/3 seasons ago, but I’d still say he was a successful signing overall.
Successful? He has one and a half good seasons. Christ, if you were our manager, we'd be relegated by now. Half our problem is we have kept absolute shite on, and rewarded then for being shite. Martial being a prime example.

Successful? He has one and a half good seasons. Christ, if you were our manager, we'd be relegated by now. Half our problem is we have kept absolute shite on, and rewarded then for being shite. Martial being a prime example.
Revisionism imo, he was good for a number of years when he first joined, and would have been seen in a better light if he’d been sold the season Ole was sacked. If you were our manager we’d have won the league, the job might be open soon have you thought of applying?

There is a lot of discrepancy between all of these sources, what's up with that?
It’s quite remarkable how much tat is on the Internet. Wasn’t able to find an official source - thought there might be a list on the United site, or failing that Wikipedia, but no such luck.

Revisionism imo, he was good for a number of years when he first joined, and would have been seen in a better light if he’d been sold the season Ole was sacked. If you were our manager we’d have won the league, the job might be open soon have you thought of applying?

I would apply, but I wouldn't want to humiliate the other potential managers with my "mad skills".

Have to disagree with "a number of years". Do you have an actual number of those "yearS" specifically. One and half years of goodness, followed by increasingly sporadic games where he would put a shift in. Maybe it's his frenchness too?

I would apply, but I wouldn't want to humiliate the other potential managers with my "mad skills".

Have to disagree with "a number of years". Do you have an actual number of those "yearS" specifically. One and half years of goodness, followed by increasingly sporadic games where he would put a shift in. Maybe it's his frenchness too?
I think he was good to very good, for his first few years here. He then did well for a period under Ole, and for a time in ETH’s first season until he was injured. Are you saying you don’t rate Martial because he’s French?

Martials last goal for United was in the same game as Garnacho scoring the overhead kick vs Everton which is mind blowing in itself.

Good riddance to this lad.

Hope he goes to have a good career but I doubt I’ll bat an eyelid at anything he does in the future.

He, along with some others, is the epitome of what has been wrong with our football club.

Close the door on your way out, Anthony

Injuries did him in but his mentality didn’t seem to bode well for the club. It felt like he always had to be the undisputed main man and any threat to his comfy niche, his head would drop.

Plus as the injuries accumulated, it felt like he became more risk averse to playing which also doesn’t fit well for an elite club where the very best players would happily play through the pain.

It’s been said that post-Ferguson our ability to vet players on their personality has been completely lost, and I think he’s an example of that. Ferguson would want guys with fight in them and a level of determination similar to his. I never really saw that with Martial in hindsight.

Martial's problem was he joined under LvG and ended up with Jose, sme of it is his won fault but maybe not all of it if this is to believed

He needs to be loved..... Just like your wife/partner and mother of your children need to be loved.

Martial would know all about that.

He was good in his first season. Mostly good in his third and fourth seasons when Mourinho actually gave him a run of games, but Mourinho clearly didn't like him so did his best to choose every other option ahead of him despite Martial clearly outperforming them. Then very good in his fifth season.

Pre-injuries, it was really only his second season where he was poor. The season that he was moved out to the left wing, had his shirt number stripped off him, had a manager who clearly didn't like him, and had issues in his personal life, all at the age of 20.

So overall I'd say his first five years were borderline successful, and it was likely only 'borderline' because of Mourinho's pettiness and terrible man-management. Obviously it all went to shit in his sixth season though when the injuries started.

He was good in his first season. Mostly good in his third and fourth seasons when Mourinho actually gave him a run of games, but Mourinho clearly didn't like him so did his best to choose every other option ahead of him despite Martial clearly outperforming them. Then very good in his fifth season.

Pre-injuries, it was really only his second season where he was poor. The season that he was moved out to the left wing, had his shirt number stripped off him, had a manager who clearly didn't like him, and had issues in his personal life, all at the age of 20.

So overall I'd say his first five years were borderline successful, and it was likely only 'borderline' because of Mourinho's pettiness and terrible man-management. Obviously it all went to shit in his sixth season though when the injuries started.
It's annoying as well in that, in José's second season, when it looked like he was finally trusting Martial, Martial repaid that trust with 3 goals in 3 consecutive starts, and then we bought Alexis, moved Martial out of position to the right to accommodate him where he had a poor game against Spurs, and was dropped again.

Not gonna lie, I wanted Alexis, too! However, I didn't want him displacing Martial on the left. I was hoping he'd be our 10 or RW.

It's annoying as well in that, in José's second season, when it looked like he was finally trusting Martial, Martial repaid that trust with 3 goals in 3 consecutive starts, and then we bought Alexis, moved Martial out of position to the right to accommodate him where he had a poor game against Spurs, and was dropped again.

Not gonna lie, I wanted Alexis, too! However, I didn't want him displacing Martial on the left. I was hoping he'd be our 10 or RW.
That's what everyone wanted at the time. Alexis had been one of the best in the league at striker the previous season, he'd played well on the right earlier in his career, and at the time Martial was clearly our most in-form attacking player. So it was absolutely ridiculous that it was Martial that was the one who quickly got dropped. But Mourinho was always looking for any excuse to drop him so it shouldn't have been surprising.

For me he's proved to be a waste of talent with a lack of application. Saha suffered with inuries even more but I never doubted his effort. When an aging Cavani shows you up for chasing down the goalie, pressing the last defender - (the sort of bread and butter things any forward does because it will bring you 3-4 goals a season) then that just shows he didn't have the application to be a top level forward.

Like all of our left sided forwards recently - he no doubt suffered because of a lack of genuine threat coming from the right side of the pitch. But going head down and running into the opposition wasn't the best way to deal with it.

Another one to add to the list of Joel Glazer's follies.

I agree; the fact he was offered silly wages wasnt down to him and the fact he was retained long after he should have been sold, was, again, not down to him. But I would have thought any half decent pro would rather be playing than sitting on the bench or not selected, which was often the case with Martial even when he was fit. Martial could have asked for a transfer, demanded one even, but didnt, it seems; why not? Apathetic is probably the most generous way to describe Martial and his attitude towards playing for Manchester United.
Why would Martial leave a job where he gets paid more to join a lower paying job just so he can "enjoy his football"? Iirc he did push for the Sevilla loan so I'm sure he would have been willing to play for any club that was willing to match his wages at United.

We as fans often have a romantic view of playing football and not as a job that pays for livelihoods. I've heard people say they'd play for the club for free. But be honest with yourself, if you were good enough to play for the club would you do it for free?. You don't at your current job so why would the job of football be different.

Never gave his all for United, simple as that.

So glad to see the back of him. He's finished as a pro footballer now. Even the Saudis wouldn't waste their dough on him.

There's no way you can justify that statement.
Christ almighty. We’ve paid the bloke around £80 million since he arrived just in wages. He’s nowhere near a success.

His United-time is reminiscent of the artist Jens Haaning from Denmark who received £60.000 from a museum to create an artwork and then went on to showcase an empty canvas and name it “Take the money and run”.

His leaving is feeling like Kloops goodbye.

When does this contract expire?

Never took to Martial. Always seemed like he didn't want to be on the pitch.

No doubt a very talented player but just never had the application. A lot of injuries can be prevented by prehab and rehab, he just isn't the type to put in the work. Martial with Ronaldo's attitude would have been world class but he never had it.

Glad he's leaving and won't miss him in the slightest........... I was there for his first goal V Liverpool and will never forget that.

he was here for so long because he was one of the parasites favourite players. Mourinho wanted to get shut and they refused. Imagine if it was last season when his contract was up, he would have probably have been given a £320k a week 5 year contract.

Agreed. We should be more willing to let players go on a free when they're not even playing. Better to get them off the wage bill than keep paying them to hang around for 2 years to only sell them to someone for 12 million