Antony Martial set to leave when his contract expires

Can't say I'll miss him. Good player though before the injuries.

My favourite post Fergie player. Thanks for the memories and best of luck to you.

What a terrible highlight reel. Missed some bangers of his over the years.

Our Anelka, but even more of a wasted talent. He could have been a top player of his generation and instead, he's now washed out at whatever he is - 28 or something? Mad.

Hopefully he goes somewhere low-key enough that he can build up some form and fitness and play regular football for the tail end of his career.

Best of luck Martial - former member of Martial FC.

His career reminds me of Rocky movie. Except on reverse.

Good luck on your new adventure, Prince.

What a terrible highlight reel. Missed some bangers of his over the years.

Our Anelka, but even more of a wasted talent. He could have been a top player of his generation and instead, he's now washed out at whatever he is - 28 or something? Mad.

Hopefully he goes somewhere low-key enough that he can build up some form and fitness and play regular football for the tail end of his career.

Best of luck Martial - former member of Martial FC.

they didn’t post that today it’s an old club tweet

they didn’t post that today it’s an old club tweet
Oh fair enough.

That Watford goal was a blast from the past. I remember at the time wondering how the feck that had just happened. It was very 'Martial' in how he made it look like the laziest thing ever.

Injuries were a complete killer but when he was on form he was wonderful to watch.

If he doesn’t find another club then I hope he joins DDG in the park next season. 3 more teammates and they can enter a 5-aside league.

Should’ve said something about how much support he received despite being constantly injured. No one wants to be injured, and I don’t blame him for it - even if many do - but to reflect on his time at the club without lamenting how much time he spent unavailable, and how he wished it could’ve turned out differently, is a shame. He’s been a ghost this season, while pulling down massive money. At least acknowledge it, because otherwise no one is even going to notice he’s left.

He was one of those signings that excited me. Knew nothing about him when he came, hadn’t even heard of him. And he promised so, so much. A sadly wasted career. Had the potential to be leading the line for United and France for the best part of a decade. But injuries and perhaps application prevented it.

The state of the club, 9 years?? Insanity.

Too cold of a personality to play for United.
Not sure what this means…

Martial alongside his countryman Pogba are the two biggest wastages of talent from both the club’s perspective and their own. Funny how they both end up leaving as injury ridden late 20s players with next to nothing to look forward to.

It will always be a what if moment when I think about summer 2016 and if we dont get Jose. A progressive manager would have changed the fortunes of not only our club but the majority of the players we had too.

Can't say I'll miss him. Good player though before the injuries.

You mean BETWEEN injuries? When he is fit Martial can be very good, best composure in front of goal, but ONLY when he is fit.

He joined us at the wrong time imo. If he was at the club under Fergie, he would've had a much more productive career. Some of his lack of achievement may have been self-inflicted and the injuries were of course out of his control, but all things said, he was fun to watch when he was fit and in form.
Martial's problem was he joined under LvG and ended up with Jose, sme of it is his won fault but maybe not all of it if this is to believed

I’ll always have time for Martial. You appreciate him far more when you watch the reel of all the goals he’s scored for us.

What hurts is after 19/20 when he had an excellent season, you thought he’d kick on but injuries and general apathy for the game seemed to kick in and stop us from seeing how good he could have really been.

His first season will not be forgotten.

I’ll always have time for Martial. You appreciate him far more when you watch the reel of all the goals he’s scored for us.

What hurts is after 19/20 when he had an excellent season, you thought he’d kick on but injuries and general apathy for the game seemed to kick in and stop us from seeing how good he could have really been.

His first season will not be forgotten.

To be fair, every player can be appreciated more if you just see the best bits :nervous:

All went downhill after signing Alexis Sanchez. I was Martial FC for far longer than I’d like to admit, despite an acknowledgment that generally, he just didn’t seem to want to be a United-level footballer. I hope he lands a decent club but honestly, I’m unsure on what level he can even play at now. Maybe a payday in Saudi.

His first season was his best imo. We all expected him to be the main striker/winger for the next 10 years. Playing I mean

To be fair, every player can be appreciated more if you just see the best bits :nervous:
Haha true but it won’t be a 2min reel like it would for Antony or even a 5mins one for Lingard. Martial has actually done a lot for the club but has frustrated in nearly equal measure, though a large part of it is due to injuries.

People tend to forget he was only 24yo when injuries basically ended his career at the top level. He was just entering his prime and had been our best player that season, then it was effectively over. Sure he's been able to play here and there since then (and often he'd still be very effective), but he hasn't been able to put a proper run together.

What could have been, if it hadn't been for those injuries? :(

I'll miss him. Our entire attack always seemed to just gel together so much better when he was there, and he was always able to pull out some magic moments.

Fergie would have benched him at his fittest while in top forms to prove he is not bigger than the club. Gave him occasional hair drier and subs out mid games for not taking things seriously. He would have applied himself better in matches and training. Probably used as a super sub too to minimise injuries. What a waste.

His debut was incredible and that was about it. Glad to see him gone at last.

Sad that the clause will never be activated. :(

If he could just play Everton every week he might have won it .

I think in the last 4 years he scored about 8 goals overall and 6 of them were against Everton :lol:

He's an absolute shell of the player he was at his best, he was never one of my favourites but at his best he was fun to watch. He's contributed almost nothing since the 19/20 season though so his exit is long overdue.

I remember watching his game against Liverpool in his first season and thinking we have our Ronaldo replacement, finally. Little did I realize that meant we'll end up with the Nazario version of Inter Milan. Thanks for the initial couple of years when you actually seemed to care playing for the club.

Imo he was never a United player. A prime example of everything that went wrong post SAF. Over paid. Over hyped. Allways injured. When the going gets tough you know he will fold. Good bye.

Right decision to let him go. Such a shame he never managed to live up to the hype. He was clearly a very gifted football, however appeared to just lack that final desire to push himself that the truly great players have.

Most of the problems that led to his gradual downfall were not his fault - I don't understand the blame attributed here.

If any of you criticizing Martial for being paid a lot of money whilst injured, would you be happy if your company forgoes your salary because you had illness that meant you were unable to work for 6 months at a time?

Imo he was never a United player.

Oh he was. He was employed in the playing squad of Manchester United from 2015 until 2024.

Funny that you'd forget that you silly goose, he was actually the second highest goal scorer for the club in that time.

Incredible debut. That's about it. He couldn't be arsed after his lastest contract. Yes he was injured all the time and that probably ruined him as a player, but that didn't ruin the effort, which has been zero for years.

Finally he is off. Terrible attitude

Incredible debut. That's about it. He couldn't be arsed after his lastest contract. Yes he was injured all the time and that probably ruined him as a player, but that didn't ruin the effort, which has been zero for years.

Finally he is off. Terrible attitude

That's about it?

Some of the conversations here make it sound like we are talking about Bebe.

We should be careful about awarding long-term contract extensions to any player with massive wages. That’s been one of our biggest problems in the last decade. Martial is a classic example of it. Rather be strict in negotiating and lose them by transferring somewhere else than reward them prematurely with massive wages and then make it impossible to get rid. No one is irreplaceable at the club and that needs to be reinforced.