Antony Martial set to leave when his contract expires

Should have gone few years ago.. never mind there's room for a proper striker now I'm hoping..
He did score against the dippers ..

Why would Martial leave a job where he gets paid more to join a lower paying job just so he can "enjoy his football"? Iirc he did push for the Sevilla loan so I'm sure he would have been willing to play for any club that was willing to match his wages at United.

We as fans often have a romantic view of playing football and not as a job that pays for livelihoods. I've heard people say they'd play for the club for free. But be honest with yourself, if you were good enough to play for the club would you do it for free?. You don't at your current job so why would the job of football be different.
I wasnt paid £250.000 a week, like Martial was, but Id like to think that I earned my wages.
I dont blame footballers trying to get better wages but with that comes responsibility, a responsibility to perform.
Also you would think that pride has a part to play, and ambition and the chance to play for your national team. Most pros are well aware of their responsibilities and most want to play for their countries, but to do this they have to play and play well....unfortunately there are some who are happy to take their wages and forgoe ambition and responsibility.

He really is an enigma, he has all the tools and should have been reaching his peak here with us. It’s a sad one, even now.

Who was VVD actually talking about?

He would have become world class without the injuries. Fecking injuries man they've ruined so many careers.

He would have become world class without the injuries. Fecking injuries man they've ruined so many careers.

Injuries, bad attitude and I think some very small blame on the club as we were very inconsistent as to when and where we played him.

The Zlatan season in particular was a huge disruption to his progress.

Marital having a bad attitude is the myth that refuses to die I see.

The club (mostly Ole) simply mismanaged him and he became injury prone towards the end of his time here, that's all.

I wish he miraculously gets beyond the injuries.

attitude
united
injuries

in that order. he solves the first one, the others take care of themselves.

In reality he didn’t even come close to Louis Saha.

That is a bit harsh. Between 2015-2020 he was developing fine and a good player.

People need to remember those times. Not perfect by any means but he was a classy player and not fortunate at all with injuries.

Solving his attitude would solve... united? What does this even mean.

he would have left when his number was taken and he was marginalised. he only cared about his salary. he had no desire to win 100 caps for france or win trophies.

Marital having a bad attitude is the myth that refuses to die I see.

The club (mostly Ole) simply mismanaged him and he became injury prone towards the end of his time here, that's all.

I wish he miraculously gets beyond the injuries.

You should look up his attitude to that. Tells you a lot about the kind of guy he really is.

90 goals in 9 years, one year from those 9 he broke the 20 goal mark (in all competitons).

He's a nightmare alright.

I think if Martial smiled more and run about more he would have become World Class. Right?

He is just one of many world class talent who joined Man Utd post SAF gone to shit because our club don't have the right environment for them to blossom.

90 goals in 9 years, one year from those 9 he broke the 20 goal mark (in all competitons).

He's a nightmare alright.
Easy to make numbers support whatever agenda.

How many minutes did he play to score those goals? And how else did he impact our overall play besides goals? How many assists? All those are rhetorical questions by the way, don't answer. I watched him play and without a doubt was our most efficient, exciting and sensible forward signed post SAF.

My favourite player in the post Fergie era. So fun to watch. Thanks for everything, Martial, and good luck with the rest of your career!

Jose hiring was a killer for him. Can't think of a worst striker candidate for Jose at the time - young, technical, quick/silky. Pretty much the stark opposite of what Jose opts for.

He had decent bursts under Ole but never got anywhere near his potential.

dave-chappelle-free.gif

They still had his shirt up in the dressing room yesterday on the tour. I asked them about it and the tour guide said it'd be laid on the treatment table at exactly midnight last night when his contract expires. :lol:

Jose hiring was a killer for him. Can't think of a worst striker candidate for Jose at the time - young, technical, quick/silky. Pretty much the stark opposite of what Jose opts for.

He had decent bursts under Ole but never got anywhere near his potential.
He was actually decent under Jose at the start, the killer for him was the signing of Alexis Sanchez, who then took his spot on the left.

He was actually decent under Jose at the start, the killer for him was the signing of Alexis Sanchez, who then took his spot on the left.
Yeah him and Rashford had a good battle going for that left wing spot under Jose in 17/18 before Sanchez signed and tanked the progress of both of them under him. He was awful in 16/17 though. We were actually largely very good under Jose in his second season until Sanchez came, then it started to slowly fall apart.

He struggled in his first season under Jose. He got moved out to the left wing, stripped of his shirt number, broke up with his Mrs (who took it very public), and was quite obviously playing under a manager who didn't like him. All while he was only 20, so it was hardly a surprise that he struggled.

17/18 he got it back together and was our best option out on the left (and our best attacker in general for a month or two), to the extent that even Mourinho eventually had to accept him as first choice. Until, as you say, the signing of Sanchez wrecked it all. Eventually a few months into 18/19 as Mourinho was about to be sacked he turned to Martial again in desperation, at which time Martial scored 7 in 7 if I remember correctly to keep him in a job for another couple of months. Makes you wonder what could have been if Mourinho had just played his best players instead of playing his stupid games.

One of the biggest bonkers in decisions from Jose. Martial had been consistently our best attacker for months and the team was crying for someone capable to go on the right and bring some balance. But no, the special one chugs Sanchez on the left and benches Martial :nervous:

He was a huge talent, there won't be a striker we could sign this Summer close to the potential he had at 19.

Also injury prone, prone to being static and lazy on the pitch and inconsistent.

He struggled in his first season under Jose. He got moved out to the left wing, stripped of his shirt number, broke up with his Mrs (who took it very public), and was quite obviously playing under a manager who didn't like him. All while he was only 20, so it was hardly a surprise that he struggled.

17/18 he got it back together and was our best option out on the left (and our best attacker in general for a month or two), to the extent that even Mourinho eventually had to accept him as first choice. Until, as you say, the signing of Sanchez wrecked it all. Eventually a few months into 18/19 as Mourinho was about to be sacked he turned to Martial again in desperation, at which time Martial scored 7 in 7 if I remember correctly to keep him in a job for another couple of months. Makes you wonder what could have been if Mourinho had just played his best players instead of playing his stupid games.
This is why I never got the "bad attitude' narrative. He was actually fighting and keeping José in a job even though José didn't like him. José's favourites weren't doing anything.

Then, for Ole, he constantly played through injuries for him. So much so that it ruined his body. He has been one of the few bright spots of the past decade.