Antony Martial set to leave when his contract expires

Absolutely loved him for large periods. Always wondered why he’s so polorising in amongst the fanbase. I really hope that when he’s gone and after some time, he gets more appreciation for the wonderful ability he displayed at times for the club. Injuries hurt him badly, as did playing in some poor teams and poor managers. I do think he’s always had issues with application though, and deserves some criticism for that. But at his best, I don’t think we have had a better attacker post Fergie.

Not sure what this means…

Martial alongside his countryman Pogba are the two biggest wastages of talent from both the club’s perspective and their own. Funny how they both end up leaving as injury ridden late 20s players with next to nothing to look forward to.

It will always be a what if moment when I think about summer 2016 and if we dont get Jose. A progressive manager would have changed the fortunes of not only our club but the majority of the players we had too.

Means he couldn't be bothered to go the extra mile, had little to no fire in his belly. Did not have the required fortitude to lead the line and Man United, he is too passive and unbothered. I had high hopes for him, but it didn't take me 9 seasons to realize he was a waste of time.

Last edited:
Great potential when he came, terrible injuries and injury record ruined him. Don't think his mentality was the best too.
Should've been moved on a long time ago

You mean BETWEEN injuries? When he is fit Martial can be very good, best composure in front of goal, but ONLY when he is fit.

No I don't mean that but thanks. I mean he is now a shambling mound of an ex-footballer thanks to all his injuries (and possibly his lifestyle/attitude) but once upon a time he was an excellent forward and very clinical.

Delayed by a few years but here it is finally.

Talented, stunning debut, few memorable performances, questionable attitude, terrible injury record, rarely available. Had high hopes but an underwhelming career overall.

All the best.

Handing in my Martial FC pass for the final time. I must have handed that thing in and retrieved it over 5 times! :lol:

Such a talented player and the hope of what he could be kept pulling me back until last season when it became clear he was well and truly done.

showed his potential for 2-3 games every year - huge disappointment and waste of wages for me. we should have been much more ruthless in getting rid of him few years back.

any way: good luck with future endeavors! time to use the money wisely on a striker.

Injuries and attitude cost him, but we stuck with him far longer than he deserved. Very surprised there was a way back after the Sevilla loan, either way, all the best to him.

showed his potential for 2-3 games every year - huge disappointment and waste of wages for me. we should have been much more ruthless in getting rid of him few years back.

any way: good luck with future endeavors! time to use the money wisely on a striker.
We tried to I believe, we just couldn't

Wonder where he will end up next? I don't see his body being up to the demands of football in Europe. Probably Saudi or MLS?

I sometimes see fans on here insisiting someone should retire rather than dropping levels and don't get that in most cases. As long you're enjoying it who cares?

Martial might actually struggle to find a team. Would think his profile would lend itself to him being one of the highest earners on an MLS team if he went there, but from a business point of view you can't really justify it due to his injury record. You're not going to blow a big part of your budget on him when you can't rely on his fitness unless you're stupid.

Saudi Arabia are increasing foreign player limit from 8 to 10 which helps, and people say they don't care about money but there's plenty of more reliable players who could tear that league up too.

If he's understanding of all that and sets realistic pay expectations or s structured deal based on appearances then I'm sure he'll be fine. If not, or if he simply doesn't want to play unless he's being guaranteed that he's paid very well then I could see him retiring.

Last edited:
About 3 years too late, but we finally get to see the back if this waste of space.

I find it so sad seeing how disliked he is amongst the fan base. I know it's nothing new as a large section of the fan base never warmed to him, but still.

What a waste of a wonderful natural talent. All self inflicted. When He had the ball at his feet it was like it was glued on. Amazing close control. Constantly injured. Available only a fraction of the time. Terrible attitude. He certainly didn't have the mental strength of an elite athlete therefore not good enough for MUFC. He should have been sold on 4/5 years ago. Thanks again glazers!

What could have been. Good luck to him but it shows promise we are letting all these players go. Under Woodward we'd have extended him as an asset.

An extreme talent but with the commitment of Terry being left alone with his teammates spouse.

I do wonder had he gone to another club would he have developed as he should have, because Man Utd has not been a good place for the past decade or so.

A shame how it ended up, felt like he was on the verge of something special in that Covid affected season. Good luck to him wherever he goes next, hopefully he can finally have a spell without injury.

Could have been a great player for us and France, injuries seemed to take their toll and questions about his attitude played a big part of that. Should have sold him earlier but still I wish him good luck in his future.

We messed his career up at this club by literally doing the opposite thing Henry got to do post Juventus at Arsenal which actually makes me quite sad. :(

I cant upload videos yet - but watch all his goals for us.

He was a bomb playing as a young Striker but we slowly started turning him in to a left winger - the opposite way Wenger turned Henry from a Winger to a Striker and his style of play started changing and deteriorating, becoming more readable whilst he got used more and more as a LW.

By the time he got to play ST again he had played his growing years as a winger instead of a growing striker.

Martial FC full and proud. :drool:

Sorry we messed your potentially great career up & i will personally miss him. Great player to watch for us during tough times.

Last edited:
Buying him was not a mistake. He was a promising and talented player. The mistake was extending his contract when he had so little to show for it.

That can’t be true, can it? :eek:

90 goals for the club puts him 17th on the all-time scoring list. He was only two goals from tying Robson.

Rashford is currently 12th on that list, and could move into the top 10 if he manages double-digits next season.

He should never have got a new contract. Woodward and his protecting a players value :wenger: