Antony dos Santos (Out)

Against Brighton he came on and immediately ran to the byline and drilled a ball with his right foot into a good area. I would hope that this is a new way he wants to go about his game, because the frustration is also that he's evidently a talented player with some of the worst decision making I've seen.

I noticed that. It was better than anything he did last season.

He has talent on the ball, I don't think that's ever been an issue or EtH's instructions. Its always been that he struggles physically. He doesn't quite have the pace to get away from someone and doesn't have the strength or low centre of gravity to hold a player off. So as a defender you can basically show him down the wing and then take the ball from him because if he goes down the wing its basically a physical 1 on 1 which he loses, at least when he cuts in its on his left and he can release the ball quicker. So I don't think its that EtH is not telling him to beat a player but more that physically he just struggles to. Similar to Sancho who suffers from the same thing.

We have seen him go down the line though it’s just rare. There was a game last year where he noticeably did it more but I forget which one.

Besides, loads of wingers are physically weaker than a defender. It’s not an uncommon mismatch. They can make up for it with skill, agility and movement off the ball.

I still think if our wingers were encouraged to seek assists rather than shooting from 20 yards they would all improve and ironically get provided better chances from their teammates. We have been a bit more creative at times this season so fingers crossed that can keep being improved upon.

It’s weird with Antony, previously our fans have always been extremely patient with players that put a massive shift in. It’s as though that’s the basic we expect and if you work your arse off we’ll be fair to you.

The likes of Sancho we’ve never forgiven, because if you are gonna be that half arsed, my God you better be good.
The fee doesn't help of course and many will never forget it or put it to one side, but he does have something of an unearned swagger to him. He was laid into early on for doing his silly spinny thing in a Europa game if I remember right, so despite being a hard worker, he still kind of comes across as a bit of a flash git.

We have seen him go down the line though it’s just rare. There was a game last year where he noticeably did it more but I forget which one.

Besides, loads of wingers are physically weaker than a defender. It’s not an uncommon mismatch. They can make up for it with skill, agility and movement off the ball.

I still think if our wingers were encouraged to seek assists rather than shooting from 20 yards they would all improve and ironically get provided better chances from their teammates. We have been a bit more creative at times this season so fingers crossed that can keep being improved upon.
He has a really nice disguised through ball as part of his repertoire when he goes infield too early to be in range for a shot. Unfortunately we've seen it two times in as many years.

Edit: also I've heard that he won't be transferred.

Last edited:
People, this is the transfer thread. Antony has an entire performance thread to discuss non-transfer related things.

The fee doesn't help of course and many will never forget it or put it to one side, but he does have something of an unearned swagger to him. He was laid into early on for doing his silly spinny thing in a Europa game if I remember right, so despite being a hard worker, he still kind of comes across as a bit of a flash git.

He has a really nice disguised through ball as part of his repertoire when he goes infield too early to be in range for a shot. Unfortunately we've seen it two times in as many years.

Yeah, I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve criticism. He absolutely does. But the coach has a player with some talent which it’s his job to improve. Whereas we have ETH encouraging his play and praising him.

Both Rashford and Garnacho exhibit similar greediness and poor decision making. Rashford’s two seasons under Ten Hag have seen him produce two of his worst seasons in terms of assists. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Didn’t realise this wasn’t the same one.
When people see this thread bumped, the assumption is transfer news, not generic talk about the player, which obviously riles some, especially so given the desperation some have for him to leave.

We have seen him go down the t it’s just rare. There was a game last year where he noticeably did it more but I forget which one.

Its not just being physically weaker but also acceleration/speed. There are wingers out there the same size as Antony but they have a better centre of gravity or have that extra bit of pace. Antony seems to lack that, as does Sancho by the way. Yeah they will be able to get down the wing once in a while but they cannot consistently do it. If you compare Antony and Amad to similar wingers for top teams they are physically weaker and slower. Its why there's a question over Amad although he seems to have added a bit of pace to his game and bulked up a little.

Garnacho for example isn't stronger than Antony but his acceleration allows him to beat fullbacks more consistently (and even he struggles with the physicality). The top teams are not just excellent technically but also physical beasts. We need to get our squad to that bench mark.

When people see this thread bumped, the assumption is transfer news, not generic talk about the player, which obviously riles some, especially so given the desperation some have for him to leave.

Worst signing since Fergie went and easily in the top 5 of all time which is damning

Casemiro at least had plenty of moments in his first season with us.

What's Antony ever done?
Yeah he cost 60m 30 years old and spent 10 games of that season relaxing due to red cards. Don't get me wrong don't like Antony one bit

Casemiro at least had plenty of moments in his first season with us.

What's Antony ever done?

Scored against City, scored against Arsenal, scored a brilliant winner against Barcelona, scored the goal that stopped us losing to Liverpool in last seasons FA Cup, etc

Personally I'd be surprised as that leaves us with only 3 players for the 2 wide positions. Think he'll stick around to get a run out against the likes of Bodo/Glimt.
Yeah, I don't get this. We have so many games to play, we're not over stocked on anything but centre backs.

I’m really starting to like Galatasaray.
Cracking bunch of lads, those Galatasarians. I've been to Galatasaria a few times myself, what with me being a man of the world and all that. Great craic!

His time is finally up. Ten Hags head is on the chopping block so he has no time for BS. I'd rather play Mount, Bruno, or even Dalot/Maz there.

Hopefully he bangs in a few screamers and they keep him

Cracking bunch of lads, those Galatasarians. I've been to Galatasaria a few times myself, what with me being a man of the world and all that. Great craic!
Their fans also threw a water bottle at Danny Dyers’s head back in 2006.

Not going to happen…he is a bit part player and mostly a bench warmer for us now. I hate saying it but we need him. It would leave us short out wide

Hearing Fenerbache are on the case too and Jose wants him badly. Can't embed tweets.

Turkish press are having a right old time with our start to the season :lol: