Antony dos Santos (Out)

This is a good summary by Swedish Rumble on why you should take reports in the press and elsewhere about wages with a huge grain of salt

This is a good summary by Swedish Rumble on why you should take reports in the press and elsewhere about wages with a huge grain of salt

The only problem I find with this -- if our mediocre players are actually on sensible wages (which they probably are), how are we still struggling to get rid?

I think wages being disproportionate to player quality has always been a big issue for us getting rid of average but not good enough players here, but if wages are more sensible these days...

Based on what we’ve seen so far Antony clearly is not the answer.
BUT - and this goes for a few players on the books - it makes no sense to take a substantial financial hit on a player simply to offload them, when it’s a similar or lesser cost to keep them and at least you have a player you can use.
This is especially true for a player that has 3 years left on a contract and whose value has tanked.
This is a very shortsighted way of looking at things. We're going to incur the amortization costs either way - whether as a one-time writedown from selling the player or as an ongoing expense. At least with a sale, the wage expense goes away and we get a boost to our cash flow from the transfer fee and from not having to pay wages.

Right now our constraint seems to be cash flow rather than FFP/PSR. Short-term accounting considerations shouldn't be the primary driver of our decision-making on player sales this summer.

Excellent article on the facts of wages. We were always led to believe that we have the highest but it's very far from the truth.

Excellent article on the facts of wages. We were always led to believe that we have the highest but it's very far from the truth.

I think we used to have the highest or second highest in the PL. It's just not the case anymore due to how many players on huge salaries have left in the last 24 months.

Bailly, Lingard, Matic, Pogba, Mata, Cavani, De Gea, Ronaldo, van de Beek, Fred, Greenwood, Varane, Martial.

On top of them, there will almost certainly be many further high earner departures in the next 12-24 months.

Now, we actually have a lot of free space on our wage bill for new players, and new contracts for our current best performing youngsters.

If we sell Sancho, I find it quite risky to go into the season with Rashford, Garnacho, Amad as real wingers. He's been crap yes, but rather keep him and try and play him into some form.

Window instantly becomes a 10/10 if we loan out Antony and I don't have to watch him play for us again

If we sell Sancho, I find it quite risky to go into the season with Rashford, Garnacho, Amad as real wingers. He's been crap yes, but rather keep him and try and play him into some form.
If it turns out are loaning Antony, I'd say Sterling is a lock

It's better he tries to find form away from United, to be honest. The pressure is not good for him here and registering only 1 goal and 1 assist last year is pretty criminal for a winger.

Simon Jones is literally the first name on the caf 'banned sources' list. 90% chance of being bullshit.

Also, getting rid of any more wingers beyond Sancho is a bad idea, even if he only plays in the League Cup and Europa.

Don't believe this for a second. We're not going into the season with 3 wingers when we play on average twice per week.

No way we can loan out Antony and sell/loan Sancho without getting someone in.

Can Sterling be back on the agenda?

Did they not announce Ugarte yet as they are waiting for another deal to go through so that they can announce them together?

What is happening!

he should be kept, Amad and Rashford are certainly inconsistent or low quality options. Antony can be goodin a proper system once we sack ETH.

I know most fans can't wait to see the back of him, but if we manage to shift sancho this window we will actually become quite thin on the wings if we loan out Antony as well. I don't think the club will sanction that

I know most fans can't wait to see the back of him, but if we manage to shift sancho this window we will actually become quite thin on the wings if we loan out Antony as well. I don't think the club will sanction that

I'd rather we take the field with 10 men than see Antony ever play for us again

Last edited:
Assuming Sancho goes, unless we get a loan offer that includes a decent obligation to buy I don’t see any value in loaning Antony out. He’s fine as a 4th option on the wing and has decent defensive work rate which can be useful in some situations.

Eriksen can and should go though. Loved him at Spurs + in his 1st season with us and have total respect for him as a player but physically he’s not up to it these days. If we can get rid of him and his wages we should go straight in for Rabiot.

That was a fun 24 minutes

No point in sending him on loan anyway. If we had the opportunity to sell him then sure, take it. A loan is pointless, he might as well be part of the squad. He shouldn’t be first choice but we have a lot of games coming up and they’re not all against top opposition.

No point in sending him on loan anyway. If we had the opportunity to sell him then sure, take it. A loan is pointless, he might as well be part of the squad. He shouldn’t be first choice but we have a lot of games coming up and they’re not all against top opposition.
If he goes on loan and does well then we can get at least £20m for him next summer.

can't see him wanting to go out on loan but definitely would like to see the back of him as he's been very poor especially for a brazilian attacking player...would expect more from him

I’ll celebrate the day Antony leaves nearly as much as I would a title victory. An embarrassment of a player who should be nowhere near a club like United.

I’ll celebrate the day Antony leaves nearly as much as I would a title victory. An embarrassment of a player who should be nowhere near a club like United.
You should blame ETH then. He’d worked with him extensively at Ajax, and still thought he was worth spunking £85 million or whatever it was on him.