Antony dos Santos (Out)

The weirdest thing about him is he fits into our team poorly as if he was bought by a different manager that the current manager doesn’t fancy.

Quite a decent error of judgment by ETH.

His book value is around £50m, even if it’s true that they want him, it’s hard to imagine we would be able to get that, the Saudis aren’t that stupid.

I want to be optimistic... but it's Antony. Just looking at him makes me pessimistic.

Really want him to go.

15-20m, even a loan with obligation, just leave. Never ever have I felt this way with a United player before, I can usually see past the casual narratives and see the qualities they bring and value they provide, especially for guys like Maguire, AWB, McTominay, etc. but Antony is similar to van de Beek in the sense that they don't really bring much to the table. And the things Antony does bring to the table can be taught to our other wide players or they already possess some of them: efficient pressing, good discipline and positioning out of possession, decent ball retention, decent ball striking.

If he wants any chance of reviving his Brazil career then he needs to push for a move. Garnacho and Amad are miles ahead of him in the pecking order.

We either take the loss or keep him for the next what 2/3 years?
We will probably try to work out a loan deal next season if his situation doesn’t improve. Taking the loss with FSR is pretty painful since we are limited in how much we can spend already, next summer when his amortisation drops to about £35m, I can see some takers at that price, provided we subsidize his wages.

Is there a reliable source that has confirmed that he is on a 200k a week? I can swear that I read a report saying that he will be allowed to leave on a loan if a club covers his 70k a week salary?!

Is there a reliable source that has confirmed that he is on a 200k a week? I can swear that I read a report saying that he will be allowed to leave on a loan if a club covers his 70k a week salary?!

It's obviously impossible to sign a footballer for £85m and only pay them £70k a week. He was probably on about that at Ajax.

Market value would tell you any signing of that fee would get their agent demanding at least £180k+, depending on the club

Generally with signing players for these kind of fees from European clubs, our typical behaviour has been to double their wages. I think we more than doubled Sancho's. Almost doubled Casemiro's. More than doubled Antony's.

It's obviously impossible to sign a footballer for £85m and only pay them £70k a week. He was probably on about that at Ajax.

Market value would tell you any signing of that fee would get their agent demanding at least £180k+, depending on the club
Bingo.

Well that Pete O'Rourke report (cannot understand how he goes by Pete-O, terrible really) has him on 100K a week, which is not too bad when trying to offload him.

I suspect a Saudi club would pay him North of 200K anyway.

Generally with signing players for these kind of fees from European clubs, our typical behaviour has been to double their wages. I think we more than doubled Sancho's. Almost doubled Casemiro's. More than doubled Antony's.
17k from what I can find. His base salary maybe is 70k but is then inflated by merchandising and bonuses. A lot of sources quote wages at their absolute maximum value.

There was something on here a couple of weeks ago that was reporting it as 70k. That Swedish rambler I think.

Problem with taking the loss is the full book value hits the accounts for this year as a loss and that would pretty much put paid to any other incomings in this window.
Not really. It would be a £34m accounting hit, less the impact of getting his £200k/wk (£10m/yr) wages off our books. Hardly catastrophic.

Besides, our constraint this summer seems to be cash flow rather than FFP/PSR.

Why do people keep saying this without a source :lol:

If they offer
17k from what I can find. His base salary maybe is 70k but is then inflated by merchandising and bonuses. A lot of sources quote wages at their absolute maximum value.

There was something on here a couple of weeks ago that was reporting it as 70k. That Swedish rambler I think.

It was ESPN who reported Antony is on 70k per week

I thought he was on €30k at Ajax which made giving him €200k all the more batshit insane

If his book value is £50 million then I think it’s better to just take the loss and move him on for £30 million and also get his wages off the wage bill, Antony is simply a colossal financial mistake we’ve made that we’ll have to live with but at least something back is better than paying £200K a week for the next 3-4 years and his transfer fee instalments with zero return on the pitch.

Mudryk earns less than 100k pw.

Murtough and Arnold masterclass.

It will take us years to undo their mismanagement

Until today I still struggle to see what's Antony good at and what Murtough/ETH saw in him that made them willing to part with 85mil Great Britain pounds.

You literally just make stuff up to fit your agenda, 70k a week at Ajax as a 20 year old :lol:

I honestly doubt ETH was involved in talks about his wages :confused:
Whether he was involved or not is questionable, but do you think he was completely isolated? And if he wasn't how can that be sustainable. The manager has to work with said paid employees and manage them, how much which of his players earns is absolutely important. I am pretty sure he knew what kind of wage Antony will earn, and he was okey with that. Which is shocking.

Whether he was involved or not is questionable, but do you think he was completely isolated? And if he wasn't how can that be sustainable. The manager has to work with said paid employees and manage them, how much which of his players earns is absolutely important. I am pretty sure he knew what kind of wage Antony will earn, and he was okey with that. Which is shocking.

An organisation of United's magnitude has an army of people to deal with that, his job is coaching the team not dealing with their legal contracts. I'm pretty sure he had zero impact or even knowledge what he would earn. For all he cared Antony could be on 90k/week.

A few reports coming out saying that Al-Nassr are interested in signing Antony.... probably BS, but one can hope, right?

I very much doubt the manager is involved in deciding wages for players, nor does he care. SAF was, but that’s because he basically ran the whole club.

He is useless and will continue to be such

Every club/manager makes bad purchases. The real crime was paying idiotic fee and giving him crazy wages, which now means we are stuck with him

And people want to excuse ETH of any blame? :lol:

How can you not see those numbers and say, wait a fecking minute lads.
I'm sure he was quoted a couple of weeks ago saying he was involved in deciding wages as it can affect the harmony of the squad. I might be wrong though.

Edit
To what extent do you have influence on negotiations?

"None, because I never negotiate. So when people say I spent so much money at United: no. The club has done that. They generally keep me informed of the numbers. But I don't know that in detail. What I do know is what the player will earn, because I deal with the hierarchy in the dressing room. But what the transfer fee is, or what the agent earns: I am not involved in any of that."

So he's kept informed of the numbers but never thought to say " hang on that's far too much ".

You literally just make stuff up to fit your agenda, 70k a week at Ajax as a 20 year old :lol:

I dont care what he was on at Ajax. The less he was on the more humiliating it is for us bumping him to 200k a week.

I'm sure he was quoted a couple of weeks ago saying he was involved in deciding wages as it can affect the harmony of the squad. I might be wrong though.

Edit

"None, because I never negotiate. So when people say I spent so much money at United: no. The club has done that. They generally keep me informed of the numbers. But I don't know that in detail. What I do know is what the player will earn, because I deal with the hierarchy in the dressing room. But what the transfer fee is, or what the agent earns: I am not involved in any of that."

So he's kept informed of the numbers but never thought to say " hang on that's far too much ".
@HookedOnAPhelan @red_de_pologne

So? I’d say you have a too simple way of looking at things. You can’t successfully manage individuals without all factors being correctly in place.

@HookedOnAPhelan @red_de_pologne

So? I’d say you have a too simple way of looking at things. You can’t successfully manage individuals without all factors being correctly in place.
What? He confirms he’s not involved in negotiations, but kept informed on wages for squad management reasons.

We don’t even know what Antony is on (or was on at Ajax) anyway, so it’s a pointless debate.

Based on what we’ve seen so far Antony clearly is not the answer.
BUT - and this goes for a few players on the books - it makes no sense to take a substantial financial hit on a player simply to offload them, when it’s a similar or lesser cost to keep them and at least you have a player you can use.
This is especially true for a player that has 3 years left on a contract and whose value has tanked.

What? He confirms he’s not involved in negotiations, but kept informed on wages for squad management reasons.

We don’t even know what Antony is on (or was on at Ajax) anyway, so it’s a pointless debate.
He pretty much confirms he knows how much players earn and why is it important. He could have intervened at any time if he felt it would ruin his teams working environment. By the looks of it, he felt it was okey for Antony to go from 25k to 200K after the move, not sure how anyone with reasonable thinking can excuse the manager of the team for such lack of judgement.

He pretty much confirms he knows how much players earn and why is it important. He could have intervened at any time if he felt it would ruin his teams working environment. By the looks of it, he felt it was okey for Antony to go from 25k to 200K after the move, not sure how anyone with reasonable thinking can excuse the manager of the team for such lack of judgement.
Nah, you're talking out of your ass, and making assumptions just so you can shit on the manager.

Edit

The hierarchy in the dressing room..

I wonder what his logic was here when he green-flagged Antony coming on higher wages than Bruno?