View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Rooney did it, doesn't mean Martial will do the same.
Yeah, he can decide to knuckle down and play, if for nothing else but to impress his potential suitors, or decide that even if he mopes around in the reserves and bench, plenty will still be interested, with his contract situation in Jan/next Summer.

The point here is that it’s just plain stupid to play a player angling for a move when the window is still open, and any romantic notion about player respecting the club and put their efforts in 100% irrespective of their circumstances is outdated. We just bent over to an aging, average player who represents the worst aspects of our football since Fergie retired after he openly disrespected the club and couldn’t even get a move to Serie A or Turkey, what stops Martial from doing the same?

The relationship between him and the manager is broken. It’s on us to keep him against his will and his abject performance has to be on the manager who decided to play him, knowing the situation.

Yeah, he can decide to knuckle down and play, if for nothing else but to impress his potential suitors, or decide that even if he mopes around in the reserves and bench, plenty will still be interested, with his contract situation in Jan/next Summer.

The point here is that it’s just plain stupid to play a player angling for a move when the window is still open, and any romantic notion about player respecting the club and put their efforts in 100% irrespective of their circumstances is outdated. We just bent over to an aging, average player who represents the worst aspects of our football since Fergie retired after he openly disrespected the club and couldn’t even get a move to Serie A or Turkey, what stops Martial from doing the same?

The relationship between him and the manager is broken. It’s on us to keep him against his will and his abject performance has to be on the manager who decided to play him, knowing the situation.
Now this I agree with 100% which is why I was surprised he started, never mind coming off the bench

For me that game was another highlight of why Martial isn't a winger.

Martial always wants the ball at his feet to try and create, he isn't going to run in behind constantly. He'd look far better playing with Lukaku through the middle.

For me that game was another highlight of why Martial isn't a winger.

Martial always wants the ball at his feet to try and create, he isn't going to run in behind constantly. He'd look far better playing with Lukaku through the middle.

All the #10s we have bought have played below expectations as well, we have real issues moving the ball from defense to attack in a way that gives our attackers an advantage. If you give Ronaldo or Messi the ball against a set defense they'll have problems creating chances 8/10 times as well.

We need players who can shift the ball faster and let the attackers attack a retreating defense out of position.

Time to sell. This is his 4th year with us? There is no real improvement. He can go win his imaginary balon dor at the same club as Mario Balloteli.

All the #10s we have bought have played below expectations as well, we have real issues moving the ball from defense to attack in a way that gives our attackers an advantage. If you give Ronaldo or Messi the ball against a set defense they'll have problems creating chances 8/10 times as well.

We need players who can shift the ball faster and let the attackers attack a retreating defense out of position.

I agree I think our side lacks movement massively.

Far too often our midfield pick the ball up and it's static in front of them.

I was at the game on Sunday and was sitting quite high up and especially in the first half when United were kicking towards us I just watched his movement, I don't think I've ever been so frustrated watching a player like that in my life. Why can he not make a single off the ball run to try and get in behind? He does the same thing every single time, just hangs out on the left waiting to receive the ball by the time he gets it he is doubled up on straight away because he hasn't decided to try and stretch the play, he will always just receive the ball at a standing start then drive at the defender yes he can beat a man now and then but he has become so one dimensional it's ridiculous.

Has anyone ever seen him bust a gut trying to run in behind?

Spot on. It takes three players to pass it from our right to left and left to right while most other teams can do it with one or two passes at the most. While Lukaku will be on his back foot and Rashford will look for it to played over the top and Martial to his feet. We do not know whether we are standing or sitting on our a.r.s.e

The crazy thing is that even the center midfielders are static, when one has the ball the others just keep their initial position and look at the ball carrier, the attackers are just pathetic. Tactically there is no way to give sense to it and it's extremely unnatural for football players to act like that, just before Brighton first goal I told myself that the players looked scared, they seemed wary to not only take risk but also responsibility, no one wants to raise his hand and take the wheel. Frankly I'm tired of actively supporting these players and the manager, they don't want to be supported, they don't want to give us the opportunity to support them, they have retreated in their shells a long time ago and refuse to come out of it.

The best thing we could do is to sell him for £35-40m and include a 15% sell on clause. That's the only way we're getting the money we paid for him.

I was at the game on Sunday and was sitting quite high up and especially in the first half when United were kicking towards us I just watched his movement, I don't think I've ever been so frustrated watching a player like that in my life. Why can he not make a single off the ball run to try and get in behind? He does the same thing every single time, just hangs out on the left waiting to receive the ball by the time he gets it he is doubled up on straight away because he hasn't decided to try and stretch the play, he will always just receive the ball at a standing start then drive at the defender yes he can beat a man now and then but he has become so one dimensional it's ridiculous.

Has anyone ever seen him bust a gut trying to run in behind?

You can tell the people on here who actually goes to games because they all call out Martial when they see the big picture.

He's a terrible player.

He lacks the intelligence to make the run never mind the effort.

You can tell the people on here who actually goes to games because they all call out Martial when they see the big picture.

He's a terrible player.

He is not a terrible player. I have no time for him at this club but thats purely because of his mentality and the mentality of our manager don't match. He's not the guy to run the hard yards and several of the PL's best ever players haven't or don't. With Wenger 12 years ago I think he'd prosper. With Klopp/Pooch I think he'd be certainly involved more with a good chance of being a regular with a confidence boost. We need more than he is willing to give every week because our manager expects Ronaldo/Ozil etc to work harder never mind Martial.

He is not a terrible player. I have no time for him at this club but thats purely because of his mentality and the mentality of our manager don't match. He's not the guy to run the hard yards and several of the PL's best ever players haven't or don't. With Wenger 12 years ago I think he'd prosper. With Klopp/Pooch I think he'd be certainly involved more with a good chance of being a regular with a confidence boost. We need more than he is willing to give every week because our manager expects Ronaldo/Ozil etc to work harder never mind Martial.
Klopp's players work very hard in terms of pressing and running off the ball which are 2 things Martial doesn't do well. Not sure he'd prosper under the German but then again Klopp could get him to "hurt" himself for the team

He's a terrible player.

Come one let's be honest terrible player he aint....

He is definitely overrated by the Martial FC lot though

He had a good first season with us, the following two he has been meh

Hasn't earnt the hero worshipping he gets.

The lack of effort in games for me and sloppyness on the ball annoys me the most. Doesn't seem to be switched on half the time. Ridiculous really.

He's a terrible player.

Utter rubbish - Martial has a weakness to his game that comes directly due to his most prominent strength to his game - which is to have the ball at his feet & to take on players in a dribbling contest - which he is actually most likely to win if he is in Central areas & directly taking on the CB's.

Martial playing as a LW has weaknesses of not understanding how to take his man on on the outside - he finds taking on RB's much harder than CB's due to fullbacks being very adept in falling deep & pushing wingers towards areas of the pitch that is less dangerous & find hard to bypass.

He currently plays in a position where he takes his defender on from the same angle (from the LM) & continues to struggle to be skillful in his dribbling to be various in which direction he takes the defender. Since he is a striker & habitual- he tends to consistently cut inside so he has a chance to score. He lacks the variety to take his man on in the outside.

Just as he has a weakness to dribble & take his man on the outside - he consistently struggles to read the game & make the right runs around the back of the fullback which fans seem as him being lazy. It's actually because it is his weakness linked to his dribbling technique - something which is needed in his winger role rather than the countless abilities he has as a striker such as his finishing, taking on the CB on the inside & outside, & more.

One of Martial's best capabilities is actually starting of central & drifting out side wide to receive the ball - when he starts off wide he has very minimal space to drift in to space & usually is in one in one situation with the fullback.

He struggles to read the game & make the runs from out wide because usually he won't receive the ball to feet & he also ends up in direct face to face battle with the fullback. Martial isn't Hazard - he isn't can't bamboozle the defense & is only being asked to do so because dear Jose doesn't utilize him as a CF or a SS who tends to drop a bit deeper to receive the ball.

Yes I am Martial FC & I continue to do so until a different manager gives him a better more logical management approach.

Next time you go to a game watch how his movement off the ball is consistent towards central areas & makes runs rather than when he has the opurtunity to drift in behind the fullback.

He's a terrible player.

The amount of times Lukaku pull to the right to contest for long balls and Martial didn't really bother to close the space was so ridiculous.
He just stayed static on the left wing the whole game.
Our attack was so poor and Pogba and Fred starting so deep didn't help matters at all. Terrible all round.

Klopp's players work very hard in terms of pressing and running off the ball which are 2 things Martial doesn't do well. Not sure he'd prosper under the German but then again Klopp could get him to "hurt" himself for the team

And Klopp would kill him if he didn't. Jose just let's him watch football from a nice seat and he still gets paid exactly the same. Not too bad.

I really needed that Brighton showing from him mind because I was calling for a chance for him this season. I also said when he gets the chance judging him on form is unfair as it's so early but instead I'd want to see effort and determination to prove people wrong. I won't be demanding his inclusion again anytime soon as I think good player as he is and will be for someone else its a case of wrong player wrong time for us.

He probably shouldn’t be at the club right now. Been regressing the last 2 seasons under Mourinho...

It's weird because although he's been generally disappointing, when I think back to the few games last season where we played really well (away v Everton, away v Watford, home v Chelsea) Martial started those games (and scored in a couple).

I saw a video on here a couple of months ago that showed all goals for us - and the majority of them were from a central position.

I think if we're gonna keep him we might as well try and get the best out of him. Which I think is upfront, either on his own or in a front two with Lukaku or Sanchez in a 5-3-2.

But in any case he's going to be second fiddle to Lukaku and Sanchez. But it's down to him to force his way into being first choice. \

Has he got the desire to do so?

The team don't get the ball quickly enough to him. Martial is the main one suffering because he needs to be running at defenders in dangerous areas.

He probably shouldn’t be at the club right now. Been regressing the last 2 seasons under Mourinho...

Maybe Martial isn't as great as the Martial FC fanboys have been hyping him up to be.

I think he is talented (not top tier...) but just doesnt have the desire and hunger to max out his potential

Seen it all before tbf

Lets not forget how much Chelsea/Spurs would have LOVED to have signed him from us this summer and not take it for granted. He is a top talent but we need to get him involved in the game more.

Flair wingers like him need to receive the ball high up the pitch time and again. He has his doubters but I'm always excited to see him start for us.

Maybe Martial isn't as great as the Martial FC fanboys have been hyping him up to be.

I think he is talented (not top tier...) but just doesnt have the desire and hunger to max out his potential

Seen it all before tbf

Maybe it's because of the tactical setup, maybe it's because of wrong man management, maybe it's just himself. Right now he is not showing his full potential though, so if we really backed Mourinho, we would have moved him on and bought a RW.

Maybe it's because of the tactical setup, maybe it's because of wrong man management, maybe it's just himself. Right now he is not showing his full potential though, so if we really backed Mourinho, we would have moved him on and bought a RW.

Which is what most clubs do if their manager on a contract until 2020 tells you to let them leave. Instead he'll be an issue within the camp!

No manager is gonna love such a static player with atrocious movement even with all the talent and dribbling skills. He'll always have this doubts on his head for any upcoming manager.

Lets not forget how much Chelsea/Spurs would have LOVED to have signed him from us this summer and not take it for granted. He is a top talent but we need to get him involved in the game more.

Flair wingers like him need to receive the ball high up the pitch time and again. He has his doubters but I'm always excited to see him start for us.

Let's not forget how much Chelsea wanted Rooney. Shame Moyes spoiled the move for him, as it'd have worked out very well in hindsight. Money for United and a player in decline for our main rival.
Martial has to show more as a player. Yes there are issues, but he's an adult, needs to get over shit and get on with what he's paid exceptionally well to do. No idea why some fans are so sympathetic to these spoiled adult millionaires.

The team don't get the ball quickly enough to him. Martial is the main one suffering because he needs to be running at defenders in dangerous areas.
He doesn't help himself in that sense as he goes wondering, he drops back into the LB area to get the ball.

I often wonder to myself why the hell doesn't the coaching staff tell him to stay high and wide? stretch the pitch and you'll get the ball eventually.

It seems he just wants to dribble passed 2/3 players instead of killing 1.

This means nothing.....he does nothing....for another team he might... we should have let him leave for the right offer. I imagine no such offer came for obvious reasons.

This means nothing.....he does nothing....for another team he might... we should have let him leave for the right offer. I imagine no such offer came for obvious reasons.
Again, our fans wanting to shove talented players out of the door without adequate replacements. I choose to back the players when they're here. We have to get these players performing, as you can guarantee they would be able to at another club. Theres no coincidence that all of our players are underperforming, selling them all isn't an option.

He doesn't help himself in that sense as he goes wondering, he drops back into the LB area to get the ball.

I often wonder to myself why the hell doesn't the coaching staff tell him to stay high and wide? stretch the pitch and you'll get the ball eventually.

I get more frustrated with him when we have the chance to counter. He always checks to the ball and then still has to turn and face before moving with it if he gets it. Never does he realize the most optimal way for him to create space for himself and the team to utilize on the counter is to try to run in behind the defense and/or stay high and wide.

He just generally does a poor job of making runs off the ball from wide areas. I think the lack of improvement in that area of his game is an issue him and Jose share responsibility for.

I thought we lacked the final killer pass to carve open Leicester on the counter multiple times in the opening match, but overall we looked more threatening when we did have opportunities to break and get at them.

Against Brighton we were just awful at all times. I'd think some of that is due to Martial coming in for Sanchez. Mind you, I'm not claiming that was even close to the only or even primary issue, just one of the many.

He drops back to LB because the rest of the team aren't pushing up. We should be playing a higher line against teams like Brighton but we aren't . Again that's something down to tactics and style of play. Everyone knows the the best way to score goals is to hit teams when they are disorganised but we just don't move the ball quick enough to get into those situations. Martial isn't choosing to dribble past 2/3 players and lose the ball. He is being forced to because we wait too long though get the ball and the chance is gone.

Against Brighton we were just awful at all times. I'd think some of that is due to Martial coming in for Sanchez. Mind you, I'm not claiming that was even close to the only or even primary issue, just one of the many.

:lol: Yes, and he's also the cause of world hunger and poverty

I see it a little differently,for me and especially at the weekend he was very wide and wasn’t coming in enough, he was miles away from Lukaku and when play was building on the right instead of getting himself in and around the back post he’d just hang out on that wing. Last year I seem to recall him coming in but he would hang around the D and be open for passes and I’m sure he had a few good attempts at goal from there and that possibly 2 of his goals came from that position, needs to get back to doing one or the other but I think his stay wide thing is maybe more by design than just him staying out there.He does make some really weird desicisons at times tho and I’ve said this for a while he seems more intrested in defending his space than taking a risk and getting in the box.

He is very frustrating and right now and for most of last year he just looks like a guy who is lost, he to me just doesn’t seem to have the intensity to do it. He gets back and in to defensive positions but it’s not like he is trying to win the ball back, he’s just there making up the numbers, seems that way in attack as well at times although I have seen him make countless runs and stuff that aren’t picked out, he’s just a bit of an enigma.

It’s even more frustrating when here we have a guy who arguably on a technical skill level is better than Dembele or Mbappe yet Mbappe is light years ahead of him. Mbappe’s Decision making in games and how he uses his abilities are what takes him to that level or 3 above Martial.

An absolutely useless comment as in the very next sentence I made it clear I didn't think it was the singular problem which led to our issues.

Bargain-basement trolling best ignored.

An absolutely useless comment as in the very next sentence I made it clear I didn't think it was the singular problem which led to our issues.

Oh come on, it's a classic...

"Against Brighton we were just awful at all times. I'd think some of that is due to Martial coming in for Sanchez. Mind you, I'm not claiming that was even close to the only or even primary issue, just one of the many."

If you don't think it's even close to the only, or even a primary issue, why initially mention that we were awful at all times and that you think some of it is due to Martial playing instead of Sanchez.

The issues we have is all over the pitch, isolating it to single players is beyond stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.