Angel Gomes Watch

Good to see he is doing well. He is one of (admittedly many) youth players who I was confident would be a United regular.

As mentioned, Gilmour is just as small, and is doing fine in a strong Brighton team. And i don’t think Erik or anyone else with a say in transfers are obsessed with size tbh.

It's not about being 'obssessed with size' it's that it's a very important factor for players who play at the base of midfield, even ones who have good ability on the ball. It's simply not a position where it's good to be outright short and Gilmour's lack of physicality is why he's 'doing fine at Brighton', not playing at a big club.

There's definitely something to be said for physicality being previously overvalued by dinosaur coaches, but you just have to look at the players that Pep has played at the bases of his midfield to see that he's not picking his techno midgets there.

If we think Gomes can come in and be an 8 or a 10 at United then that equation changes again, but for the position Carsley used him for for England is one where you do need physicality at the top end of the game. Veratti is about the only player I can remember who possessed a similar level of physicality to Gomes and played that deep position at the top of the game, and frankly as Veratti wasted his career hiding at PSG and getting sent off in big games I'm not really sure where he actually ranks.

Reactions: sizzling sausages
Turns out he made the right choice, however...

Thought it was more so he didn't see a pathway to the first team/not being given a chance. First half of the season for example (pre Bruno), we persisted with Lingard or Pereira as the no.10, so no wonder.

Just a shame we seemed to prioritise physically > technically.
Pereira and Lingard physical players? In a kindergarten, maybe

Glad to see him get that chance, technical player, and would be a smart decision to bring him back for free with his contract running out.

Nice to see him in the England squad. Must be doing really well at Lille.

Do we have a buy back clause?

Edit: He already changed clubs, so I guess it doesn't matter.

This is very much Lee Carsley auditioning for the job, making a statement that he’s in a unique position to be the continuity manager.

Nice to see him in the England squad. Must be doing really well at Lille.

Do we have a buy back clause?

Edit: He already changed clubs, so I guess it doesn't matter.

He left on a free so we wouldn't have any clauses anyway

Nice to see a couple of players like Angel Gomes actually get a potential chance instead of the same faces. Seems like Carsley wants to use these games as an opportunity to see what some other players can do at that level, which sounds encouraging.

We should look to bring him back. With Mount injured again and Eriksen possibly leaving, there is space for him on the bench as a backup to Kobbie.
He’s not going to kill his career by signing for us to be a backup. He wants to be a starter, and he’ll play in smaller clubs if that’s what it takes to prove himself.

My dead grandma is, doesn’t mean she’s physical. Just as replacing Maguire with De Ligt doesn’t make De Ligt fast or athletic.
He didnt call them physical, you made mention of that. They are just more physical than Gomes, a lot more physical at that.

I'm absolutely delighted for the lad, I wasn't happy to see him go and he seems to have done very well since leaving. It would be great to see him back here, himself, Mainoo and Ugarte I think would be a very interesting midfield.

Could have the best England career out of him, Foden and Sancho yet :lol:

He’s not going to kill his career by signing for us to be a backup. He wants to be a starter, and he’ll play in smaller clubs if that’s what it takes to prove himself.
Well most signings wouldn't be signing to be a backup. They will think they can be a starter with their quality. Plenty of quality players sign up with City or any big club to fight for their spot.

Now sure, the club could be thinking of an initial plan that suggests someone will be a backup. But a player won't be told that, nor would that kind of plan be adhered to for long if the player's performances are quality. The plan is basically a "if we have both these players, we have our bases covered in case of injury or loss of form." As I said though, that doesn't mean roles can't be reversed. It will depend on performances.

Well most signings wouldn't be signing to be a backup. They will think they can be a starter with their quality. Plenty of quality players sign up with City or any big club to fight for their spot.

Now sure, the club could be thinking of an initial plan that suggests someone will be a backup. But a player won't be told that, nor would that kind of plan be adhered to for long if the player's performances are quality. The plan is basically a "if we have both these players, we have our bases covered in case of injury or loss of form." As I said though, that doesn't mean roles can't be reversed. It will depend on performances.
performance means feck all to this club. Rashford has been stinking up in the pitch for 18 months and he’s still starting.

He'll probably play more than Mount and Eriksen, meaning 20-30 games. Now with McTominay and Hannibal gone, I think Angel would really make sense.

He'll probably play more than Mount and Eriksen, meaning 20-30 games. Now with McTominay and Hannibal gone, I think Angel would really make sense.
He played in 45 games last season, so that would effectively cut his playing time in half. It might make sense for us, but I don't think it would be much sense for him.

He played in 45 games last season, so that would effectively cut his playing time in half. It might make sense for us, but I don't think it would be much sense for him.
It's up to him whether he wants to become a starter in a smaller league or return to EPL to play for his home club as a rotational player. I don't think he would become a starter for any other top club either so he still might be tempted to join.

Be happier to see him on ours.
Looks like he's out of contract again next summer. I think that would make him available on a pre-contract from January. If he does well for England I can see a few teams being interested.

Looks like he's out of contract again next summer. I think that would make him available on a pre-contract from January. If he does well for England I can see a few teams being interested.
With us likely needing another 2 CMs next summer I hope we've got Kobbie in his ear

With us likely needing another 2 CMs next summer I hope we've got Kobbie in his ear
He would be a nice squad option to have. I don't know if we could guarantee him anymore than that but as he's presumably a United fan, that might be enough if we show any interest.

He would be a nice squad option to have. I don't know if we could guarantee him anymore than that but as he's presumably a United fan, that might be enough if we show any interest.
Potentially Mainoo, Ugarte, Wharton and Gomes for the 2 deeper midfield roles next season would look alright, just no destroyer sitter

He’s close to Yoro too
Yeah I think he still follows United. I imagine if we make him an offer he’d like to come back.