Height: 190cm
Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: Right
Squad Number: #24
Player Agent: Goal Management
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2028
Contract Option: Club Option 1 year
Outfitter: Adidas​

Watching other keepers in the Euros and It really does stand out just how good Onana is on the ball in comparison. Really hope we build a stronger team this season to allow him to actually make use of that more because I think in a dominant side he will be amazing for us.

Hopefully we'll play to his strengths, and for the reasons he was brought here - that hasn't happened so far

At least he can't lead us out of the Champions League this season!
But, jokes aside, feel like there's a great player in there, we just need to not let the low shots to his left or right get through our defence.

Watching other keepers in the Euros and It really does stand out just how good Onana is on the ball in comparison. Really hope we build a stronger team this season to allow him to actually make use of that more because I think in a dominant side he will be amazing for us.
It also stands out that he is not an elite shot stopper and there are players like Donnaruma, Costa and Maignan who are on a different level.

Improved shot stopping isn’t going to happen at his age, but hopefully with a strengthened back line we can ease the pressure on him and allow him to focus on the brilliant aspect of his game, distributing the ball to his defenders.

Joint 6th most saves in the premier league from outside the box per 90 (1.3), same as Chelsea's Petrovic and Newcastle's Dubravka. Hopefully the deep midfielders and defenders restrict that more this coming season

Also joint 6th with Wolves' Sa and Luton's Kaminski with 2.2 penalty area saves per 90 mins

And joint 2nd for saves from inside the 6 yard box alongside Foderingham, Kaminski and Neto with 0.4 per 90 mins (1 every 2.5 matches)

Overall I hope he has better concentration so that fewer individual mistakes happen and that our midfield and defence protect him better.

Onana gets a lot of stick but he’s a super likeable bloke. He’s not going anywhere so I’m hoping he has a big season. We’re surely going to be a tighter defensive unit next season so that should help take any pressure off.

Go to exactly 14:33 in this video and you can get a snippet of Onana in training. Even then, when they are obviously doing some catching drill he doesn't catch a single one cleanly. The other guy is able to hold the one Onana drilled at him.

I really hope he proved me wrong but I'm just not buying this 'he's a great keeper as long as you don't let shots at him' line. I think he's propensity to let tame shots in or palm them back to danger zones is obviously something opposition teams had worked out and were targeting. Before any one goes looking up xg stats to wave them in my face, save yourself the time. I trust my own eyes better than any stat and there were just far too many soft goals and glaring issues in his game for me.

Also yes in before 'hahaha yeah you would say that David!' I've said time and time again I think it was the right time for DDG to go. I just refuse to believe there aren't many, many better goalkeepers out there than Onana. I think any kind of rejuvenation of this team is going to be hamstrung by having this liability in nets.

Onana gets a lot of stick but he’s a super likeable bloke. He’s not going anywhere so I’m hoping he has a big season. We’re surely going to be a tighter defensive unit next season so that should help take any pressure off.
I agree, he’s very likable, I’m sure he’d great fun on night out, or hang out on the beach with or just a nice dinner.
However, he’s playing too much, messing about too much.
I want my goalkeeper to be ruthless, I don’t want them be having fun, I want them to win.

I remember before or after the 0-0 at Anfield last season, he said something along the lines of “I’m not affected by the Anfield atmosphere”, and in an other interview he said he feels no pressure, and you know what? I totally believe him.
Its hard to feel pressure when you don’t really give a damn, which is the impression I’m getting from him.

This is a make or break season for him, because we’re not going to tolerate nonsense again, Taibi was thrown down the Grand Canal for significantly less than what Onana did last season.
Yes, he was put under a lot of pressure with the injuries in defense and that insane 4-1-5 system didn’t help either.
However, we could’ve had prime Baresi and Maldini there, and if they don’t blindly trust their keeper they won’t do as well as they can.

People say that a holding midfielder is the most important position in top level football, I disagree, the goalkeeper is more important.
The change that Van der Sar made in our defensive stability was massive, he made a monumental upgrade after the 2+ years of Howard and Carrol.

De Gea was shaky in his first season and even lost his spot for a wee bit, De Gea’s first season at United was miles better than Onana’s first season at United.
The amount of howlers and poor goals we conceded was unrivaled at that level.

If you’re a goalkeeper you are not allowed to make mistakes, you can make 1 or 2 big mistakes per season, at this level, and that’s it, he’s made dozens of them.

I genuinely hope he does well this season, because we need him to do better, and there’s no way it can get any worse.

Last edited:
Came back with a bit of timber around the waist it looks like

Go to exactly 14:33 in this video and you can get a snippet of Onana in training. Even then, when they are obviously doing some catching drill he doesn't catch a single one cleanly. The other guy is able to hold the one Onana drilled at him.

I really hope he proved me wrong but I'm just not buying this 'he's a great keeper as long as you don't let shots at him' line. I think he's propensity to let tame shots in or palm them back to danger zones is obviously something opposition teams had worked out and were targeting. Before any one goes looking up xg stats to wave them in my face, save yourself the time. I trust my own eyes better than any stat and there were just far too many soft goals and glaring issues in his game for me.

Also yes in before 'hahaha yeah you would say that David!' I've said time and time again I think it was the right time for DDG to go. I just refuse to believe there aren't many, many better goalkeepers out there than Onana. I think any kind of rejuvenation of this team is going to be hamstrung by having this liability in nets.

You're maybe right but from 14:33 there were 2 shots. I though there were much more than to make that assumption.

You're maybe right but from 14:33 there were 2 shots. I though there were much more than to make that assumption.
I did say a snippet but for me, as a former goalkeeper that spent untold hours doing similar drills, it's interesting to see even in that circumstance he still doesn't hold the ball. It's the third one when he does his trademark stick out an arm and save it with his wrist thing that's particularly concerning for me.

I'd love to get a proper view of one of his training sessions or warm ups before a match. There's something about the way he parries and the ball comes off at such random angles I've actually never seen from a top level goalkeeper.

Whilst I've only seen Vitek once alongside loan spell videos, I am worried that Ten Hag may show favouritism to Onana because Ten Hag does have a liking for 'his' players & it would not surprise me if he wants to keep Antony for example whilst Ineos are actually trying to let him go.

Bayindir had no games last season in the PL and not a lot of the cup games.

I hope Vitek can play majority of the cup games for us this season if Ten Hag is sure that Onana is the best choice we have so he can concentrate on getting a top 4 in the league and give some gametime to players like Vitek & Cobbyler in cup games.

Ten hag has shown we can win cups quite well & we don't need him to prove that anymore so should focus on guaranteed top 4 finishes.

I didn't watch the Rangers game but, going off this video, it looks like he's being instructed to play out from the back wherever possible, which is good to see. It baffled me last season why we bought a ball playing keeper only to instruct him to go long most of the time.

I didn't watch the Rangers game but, going off this video, it looks like he's being instructed to play out from the back wherever possible, which is good to see. It baffled me last season why we bought a ball playing keeper only to instruct him to go long most of the time.

That’s an excellent performance. Everything he does with the ball at his feet shows exactly why we signed him.

That’s an excellent performance. Everything he does with the ball at his feet shows exactly why we signed him.
It'll be great if everyone in the defence stays fit. Onana, Martinez, Yoro, Shaw, Dalot is worlds away on the ball from the Dave, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, AWB lineup of a few years ago.

I have a feeling he's going to have a great season ahead. Wishing him the best and a steady back four in front of him.

Whatever about his performance, that goalkeeper jersey is truly horrendous.

Because half the team who were decent at building from the back were out injured

From that game what I saw was he was very good with short range passing. Where he needs to improve, IMHO, is his mid range passing. E.g. a relatively simple pass to a full back near the half way line often went out of play or too near an opponent.
Agree though that a back four who are comfortable on the ball will bring out the best in Onana.

Because half the team who were decent at building from the back were out injured
Marrinez and Shaw are by far our best defenders at receiving the ball under pressure, however I can't help but feel like other managers could've gotten us playing out from the back with Evans and Wan-Bissaka in their stead.

Anyway, new season and no injuries. I've got my fingers crossed that booting it long was a thing of the past.

I think he is a top GK. He obviously took a while to settle into the team and some of them CL performances were shocking. But after Christmas he was quality.

Now that he is settled and hopefully have a consistent back 4 in front of him, he will have a great season in my opinion.

Don't want to be the party p**per, he had a moment where he went flying in and got nowhere near the ball, which is not on the video above. Interestingly enough, it was also edited out in the official highlights. It's at 6:55 here. He has to cut off these mistakes, there is simply no room for mistakes like that in the PL where every point counts, you can not get caught in no man's land. Very reminiscent of the penalty against Wolves that was not awarded at the start of last season, and the penalty that Burnley got when he got a hot potato backpass from Casemiro. I hope he has a no-nonsense season, the settling period has ended.

What is interesting to see in the video is that he made very similar passes behind the DM, as he did in the CL Final vs City, where he was brilliant. I know it's just pre-season, but there are positive signs.

The first pass sets the tone. It's only Rangers, in the PL undoubtedly some passes will be cut out and lead to chances but having 11 footballers on the pitch is going to make such a difference. Now we need to focus on finding a midfielder who will give him options.

I think he is a top GK. He obviously took a while to settle into the team and some of them CL performances were shocking. But after Christmas he was quality.

Now that he is settled and hopefully have a consistent back 4 in front of him, he will have a great season in my opinion.
I disagree so much that I lack the words to properly express just how much I disagree with this comment. I think he is a joke to the opposition. I can guarantee they would all say to each other when preparing to play us that the keeper is wank so be more willing to take shots from distance. Just put it on target, doesn't have to be in the corner or hit with power, just get something on target and see if he can save it.

At least he can't lead us out of the Champions League this season!
But, jokes aside, feel like there's a great player in there, we just need to not let the low shots to his left or right get through our defence.
Haha yes exactly, we will be fine if all shots are directly at him. But he still might decide to be a wrecking ball on corners and go barging into someone like a middle linebacker....

But he sure is good at passing it. So, thats something I guess.

Dread going into the season with him. Hopefully better defensive game and lesser injuries would mean he doesn't face a lot of shots.

I disagree so much that I lack the words to properly express just how much I disagree with this comment. I think he is a joke to the opposition. I can guarantee they would all say to each other when preparing to play us that the keeper is wank so be more willing to take shots from distance. Just put it on target, doesn't have to be in the corner or hit with power, just get something on target and see if he can save it.

That's okay you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

Onana saved 74.9% of the shots against him in the PL last season. The highest of any GK in the league, that's including the dreadful first half of the season he had.

He was a very good GK after the New Year, and is only going to get better with actually having a consistent back 4 in front of him.

I did say a snippet but for me, as a former goalkeeper that spent untold hours doing similar drills, it's interesting to see even in that circumstance he still doesn't hold the ball. It's the third one when he does his trademark stick out an arm and save it with his wrist thing that's particularly concerning for me.

I'd love to get a proper view of one of his training sessions or warm ups before a match. There's something about the way he parries and the ball comes off at such random angles I've actually never seen from a top level goalkeeper.
That habit of parrying shots instead of catching them drove me nuts last season.

I think Onana's weaknesses are evident for everyone to see, and I'm sure opposition coaches are going to drill on what types of shots he just can't seem to save. He does seem like a really fun person, probably a joy to be around like Fred was, but they both go hot and cold at random times.

Having a settled defense will help his game tremendously. Having Licha and Yoro to pass to will certainly upgrade how well we play from the back. But again, it's his basic goalkeeping skillset that is lacking. He isn't a shot-stopper. He gets down to low shots in stages. He tries to save in a dive with the wrong hand.

I'll hope for the best and hope he shows some amazing new form, but I am not confident this will happen.

That's okay you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

Onana saved 74.9% of the shots against him in the PL last season. The highest of any GK in the league, that's including the dreadful first half of the season he had.

He was a very good GK after the New Year, and is only going to get better with actually having a consistent back 4 in front of him.
This is almost meaningless in context, because he also faced the most shots of anyone in the league. Relegation fodder were having 30 shots on us. It doesn't factor in the quality of those shots, if they were looking to go in, or if they were tame efforts right at him.