View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

spiriticon

In my league table of lowest IQ, stupidest United players, Onana's at a fairly respectable 3rd place.

Possibly overtaking Wan Bissaka for 2nd soon if he keeps this up.

Oranges038

Some people seem to love stats to back up their argument of how good he is.
So
We are 9th in the table for shots on target conceded, Liverpool (243), Man City (235), Arsenal (205), Brighton (190), Villa (182), Tottenham (180), Newcastle (180) and Chelsea (179) have conceded more shots on target, the difference is goals conceded, only Tottenham (49), Liverpool (36), Man City (32), Arsenal (26) and Everton! (48) have conceded less.
We are not even top for shots conceded as some would have you believe, Liverpool (715), Man City (611) and Arsenal (586) are all above us, so that blows the argument that he's behind a crap defence out of the water.
The simple fact is the top four are conceding more shots on target and in general, but they have a much better keeper between the posts capable of stopping them!
Not sure where those figures are from, Utd are 5th for shots on target conceded with 179 and third for overall shots against 593. Only Sheffield Utd, Luton, West Ham and Burnley concede more shots on target. With only Luton and Sheffield Utd conceding more shots against overall. Unsurprisingly only Kaminski and Foderingham have faced more shots than Onana this season.

David De Gea

[Link removed because I can't post media apparently]

Just watching a compilation which is 6 months old (so you could make a whole other video since then) and all the same stuff is apparent from his Ajax and Inter days. The slapping of shots right in to the danger area, the total inability to get down for low shots. Even his supposed strengths of ball playing and commanding his box - I see gifting goals and making stupid charges out for crosses and getting nowhere near (sounds familiar). If you are naive enough to think teams aren't going to specifically target this then I've got a bridge to sell you...

Litch

Yeah also a goalkeeper here but for some reason I've always favoured the goal-keeping type goalkeepers. Even way back to enjoying getting to see the likes of Nigel Martyn, Tim Flowers, Shay Given, Seaman etc their peak making great saves week in week out on match of the day. As I've said elsewhere in this thread I've always loved seeing an amazing save over an amazing goal.

The reason I've mentioned de gea because so many (you included obviously) seem to want to downplay what he was like to somehow defend Onana. Yeah DDG was shite the last couple of seasons, there is no argument there. DDG is the past now, if your main defence of Onana is to attack the worst of DDG then I think it says a lot about Onana's supposed qualities.

The start of his career here is incomparable really saying as he came here as a child in goalkeeping terms and even then you could see glimpses of his superhuman reflexes and shot stopping. Onana in comparison has shown lots of evidence of his shortcomings and given opposition plenty to laugh about too. You don't suddenly realise how to catch a ball in your late 20's or how to dive low and quick to get at low shots.

The fact is DDG was many times player of the season, golden glove winner, countless amazing saves. I really can't understand why you'd be so viscous in your criticism of a player who isn't even here anymore. I'll eat my phone if Onana achieves half of what DDG did here before he's inevitably shipped out in favour of a goalkeeper who isn't a calamity.
Im not defending him, just saying DDG was far from perfect too. DDG was an elite shot stopper but he barely improved on his shortcomings other than grow into a mans body. For someone who likes fundamentals, DDG had very few. Like said, never came for crosses, never left his box, kicking was awful, never saved pens and was cowardly at times when he had to put his bloody on the line.

The issue is its easier to look at the body of someones work over 10 years than 10 months. If we were talking about DDG back then, we'd be having the same conversation.

Whilst you are questioning why Im so vicious about a player who is no longer here, first thats who you make reference to and second, I dont understand why you are about a player who has just arrived. Glass houses maybe?

I think you dont go to Barca, play for Ajax, Inter and now at Utd if you cant "catch or dive' but I understand thats a poor attempt to suggest somehow he's bluffed his way to a CL final. fecking amazing card trick....

GK player of the season is a reflection on how shit the players were in front of him. You'll never see a top team GK's winning it, cause the best teams, the GK should be doing feck all.

Yep, Onana probably wont, but equally DDG was never VdS either. Its all relative I guess.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Im not defending him, just saying DDG was far from perfect too. DDG was an elite shot stopper but he barely improved on his shortcomings other than grow into a mans body. For someone who likes fundamentals, DDG had very few. Like said, never came for crosses, never left his box, kicking was awful, never saved pens and was cowardly at times when he had to put his bloody on the line.

The issue is its easier to look at the body of someones work over 10 years than 10 months. If we were talking about DDG back then, we'd be having the same conversation.

Whilst you are questioning why Im so vicious about a player who is no longer here, first thats who you make reference to and second, I dont understand why you are about a player who has just arrived. Glass houses maybe?

I think you dont go to Barca, play for Ajax, Inter and now at Utd if you cant "catch or dive' but I understand thats a poor attempt to suggest somehow he's bluffed his way to a CL final. fecking amazing card trick....

GK player of the season is a reflection on how shit the players were in front of him. You'll never see a top team GK's winning it, cause the best teams, the GK should be doing feck all.

Yep, Onana probably wont, but equally DDG was never VdS either. Its all relative I guess.
only issue I have is that you mention comparing DDG over 10 years to 10 months for Onana, Onana is 28 now so there is a comparison to be made between the two over 10 years. He’s a major liability and has shown it multiple times this season, id even go as far as saying he’s had more howlers in 10 months than DDG had in ten years. We are out of Europe because of him, he’s gave away goals and penalties because he’s wreckless at coming for crosses. The amount of times he’s pushed the ball into danger after making a save as well is another issue.

DDG won player of the season because of how shit the players in front of him, Onana has the same problem and can’t cope with the pressure, same at Inter as well, gave away stupid goals and his shot stopping is poor.

I'm not saying DDG is the answer but do think we would be better placed this season if he stayed.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
In my league table of lowest IQ, stupidest United players, Onana's at a fairly respectable 3rd place.

Possibly overtaking Wan Bissaka for 2nd soon if he keeps this up.
Antony, Rashford and Sancho should be easily top three
only issue I have is that you mention comparing DDG over 10 years to 10 months for Onana, Onana is 28 now so there is a comparison to be made between the two over 10 years. He’s a major liability and has shown it multiple times this season, id even go as far as saying he’s had more howlers in 10 months than DDG had in ten years. We are out of Europe because of him, he’s gave away goals and penalties because he’s wreckless at coming for crosses. The amount of times he’s pushed the ball into danger after making a save as well is another issue.

DDG won player of the season because of how shit the players in front of him, Onana has the same problem and can’t cope with the pressure, same at Inter as well, gave away stupid goals and his shot stopping is poor.

I'm not saying DDG is the answer but do think we would be better placed this season if he stayed.
That is just ridiculous. Spanish Jesus Ninja was amazing but Dave is his last few seasons was awful and cost us plenty.

Litch

[Link removed because I can't post media apparently]

Just watching a compilation which is 6 months old (so you could make a whole other video since then) and all the same stuff is apparent from his Ajax and Inter days. The slapping of shots right in to the danger area, the total inability to get down for low shots. Even his supposed strengths of ball playing and commanding his box - I see gifting goals and making stupid charges out for crosses and getting nowhere near (sounds familiar). If you are naive enough to think teams aren't going to specifically target this then I've got a bridge to sell you...
I can make a compilation of Messi missing goals or Ronaldo's free kicks going into row Z. Honestly I get it but at least make some attempt to be balanced as it makes you look like you are marking your own homework.

If he was so shit everywhere, why can only you see it? Forget the amount of scouting, the GK coaches and the hundreds of other keepers utd, ajax or inter, all huge clubs could pick from.

I know you have an agenda but you are equally starting to sound like you believe your talent ID is superior to others.

Im not saying hes the best, he def had his shortcomings but I can equally see improvement over the season and that save yesterday was world class.

David De Gea

I can make a compilation of Messi missing goals or Ronaldo's free kicks going into row Z. Honestly I get it but at least make some attempt to be balanced as it makes you look like you are marking your own homework.

If he was so shit everywhere, why can only you see it? Forget the amount of scouting, the GK coaches and the hundreds of other keepers utd, ajax or inter, all huge clubs could pick from.

I know you have an agenda but you are equally starting to sound like you believe your talent ID is superior to others.

Im not saying hes the best, he def had his shortcomings but I can equally see improvement over the season and that save yesterday was world class.
Err you've said elsewhere he 'played for barca' but he didn't, he came through their youth system and was shipped out without playing a game. This is the same Barca who obviously prefer ball playing keepers too. He then spent the largest majority of his career playing in the Dutch league where I imagine he was very attainable if any big club actually wanted him. I suspect plenty would have been put off by the same shortcomings he's shown time and time again here already.

Yeah he moved to inter eventually when he was available as a free and they had a successful season. There's still plenty of evidence of his deficiencies from his short time there. I wouldnt put too much stock in the fact United signed him as clearly we can see the influence ten hag has had on signings and the almost pre-requisite they've played for him before.

Again I don't think the comparison with Messi misses really stands up considering the overwhelming evidence of him is to be a great player who misses sometimes. It's exactly the same weaknesses I see here. Another one, have you ever seen a keeper who parries the ball straight down in to the ground so often? Shockingly poor technique.

I think what it comes down to is I know De Gea was passed it and time to move him on. I just cannot agree that Onana is the best we can hope for. I think I would like to have seen a clear improvement for the money spent not a basket case.

Litch

My point wasnt age, its the body of work over that time. Forget Onana, my agenda is more about how fans pile onto some new players. Often there is a rational for this, more than often who they replace or if some fans had a preference.
He was shit through the CL campaign but since then, every goal that goes in, people say he should save it. Its all gone a bit strange. When he does save them, he's making saves all keepers make?
Hes now giving me Fred vibes. Yep questionable whether he is the answer but equally when he plays well, rarely acknowledged. Shit game, pile on.
Conversely, and ironically a bit like Fred, strong mentality. Some players crumble under the pressure, Onana has proven the ability to drown out the noise from elsewhere.
I miss Fred as the bigger the moment, he never went missing. I suspect Onana will be the same.

El Zoido

This is revisionist, DDG made tons a lot of big mistakes. Was it Ole’s last full season where he made four huge errors in four consecutive games that cost us top four? I think people forget how many mistakes he actually made since history filters out the bad.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We are not even top for shots conceded as some would have you believe, Liverpool (715), Man City (611) and Arsenal (586) are all above us, so that blows the argument that he's behind a crap defence out of the water.
I think I know where you got those numbers from, and I don't think those are what you think they are.

It's also kind of funny that when you were bringing up these stats, you completely ignored xGA, now why might that be...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So
We are 9th in the table for shots on target conceded, Liverpool (243), Man City (235), Arsenal (205), Brighton (190), Villa (182), Tottenham (180), Newcastle (180) and Chelsea (179) have conceded more shots on target, the difference is goals conceded, only Tottenham (49), Liverpool (36), Man City (32), Arsenal (26) and Everton! (48) have conceded less.
The simple fact is the top four are conceding more shots on target and in general, but they have a much better keeper between the posts capable of stopping them!
I'm very sure these are wrong stats or you forgot to change to defensive stats, so posted attacking stats.

Litch

Err you've said elsewhere he 'played for barca' but he didn't, he came through their youth system and was shipped out without playing a game. This is the same Barca who obviously prefer ball playing keepers too. He then spent the largest majority of his career playing in the Dutch league where I imagine he was very attainable if any big club actually wanted him. I suspect plenty would have been put off by the same shortcomings he's shown time and time again here already.

Yeah he moved to inter eventually when he was available as a free and they had a successful season. There's still plenty of evidence of his deficiencies from his short time there. I wouldnt put too much stock in the fact United signed him as clearly we can see the influence ten hag has had on signings and the almost pre-requisite they've played for him before.

Again I don't think the comparison with Messi misses really stands up considering the overwhelming evidence of him is to be a great player who misses sometimes. It's exactly the same weaknesses I see here. Another one, have you ever seen a keeper who parries the ball straight down in to the ground so often? Shockingly poor technique.

I think what it comes down to is I know De Gea was passed it and time to move him on. I just cannot agree that Onana is the best we can hope for. I think I would like to have seen a clear improvement for the money spent not a basket case.
Never said he played for Barca, I know he was there as a young player. Not gonna get into it but the arrogance of some fans is bloody laughable. They undermine players achievements like its an everyday thing that you are even considered at Barca, dutch or any other team, all of which are very high profile teams.
Im not saying hes the best we can hope for, just its what we have. Conversely I feel the same about the manager. The sample size is small for both with significant factors that has contributed to it.
Time will tell.....

Litch

This is revisionist, DDG made tons a lot of big mistakes. Was it Ole’s last full season where he made four huge errors in four consecutive games that cost us top four? I think people forget how many mistakes he actually made since history filters out the bad.
Anyone remember the Europa quarters?

AdNani

Not sure where those figures are from, Utd are 5th for shots on target conceded with 179 and third for overall shots against 593. Only Sheffield Utd, Luton, West Ham and Burnley concede more shots on target. With only Luton and Sheffield Utd conceding more shots against overall. Unsurprisingly only Kaminski and Foderingham have faced more shots than Onana this season.
Those figures came from his imagination, he does it often.

RuudTom83

One to work on with the GK coaches...could of cost United 3-4 games this season doing that same stupid, punch someone in the face whilst attempting to clear the ball.

Rush of blood

Mullet_Man

So
You have read the stats wrong those are shots for those teams not shots against. No way City, Arsenal etc take more shots on their goals than us.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

You have read the stats wrong those are shots for those teams not shots against. No way City, Arsenal etc take more shots on their goals than us.
They don't, obviously. Just for clarification: Onana currently has the highest percentage (75.4%) in the PL for saves made. The stats are there for everyone to check them out, it's 129 saves against 179 shots on target. The PSxG-GA (post shot xG minus goals allowed) stands at +4.2, which is better than anything De Gea produced in his last 5 seasons with United. Apparently, the golden rule for some should be De Gea's 2017/18 season, when he saved 81.1% of the shots on target he faced and had a PSxG-GA of +13.4. For the record, these are numbers that haven't been bested since then by anyone. De Gea included.

spiriticon

Antony, Rashford and Sancho should be easily top three
Rashford is my undisputed No.1 for thickest United player. He is well in the lead.

Antony is top 5 I would say. Sancho no way. He's quite a clever player. He just can't be arsed with physicality.

AbusementPark

I agree he did make a lot of mistakes but how many has Onana made this season alone while in his prime, at least DDG had his prime and lasted a few seasons more. I’m not saying DDG didn’t have his faults, he cost us Europa league trophy a few seasons ago with his pass to Maguire in the semis against Sevilla. Onana in the champions league games conceded from 7 errors leading to goals, more than anyone in the last 6 years.

In the league it hasn’t been much better, Wolves in the first game was a warning.

I’m not just judging the guy on his time at United but his time as a keeper in all leagues, I just don’t see him turning it around. Since January he’s been good and then two howlers two games in a row.

There was a reason why Cameroon dropped him as well as he had a shocker for them in the first game he played, I just don’t think he’s good enough for United.

Last edited:

AbusementPark

My point wasnt age, its the body of work over that time. Forget Onana, my agenda is more about how fans pile onto some new players. Often there is a rational for this, more than often who they replace or if some fans had a preference.
He was shit through the CL campaign but since then, every goal that goes in, people say he should save it. Its all gone a bit strange. When he does save them, he's making saves all keepers make?
Hes now giving me Fred vibes. Yep questionable whether he is the answer but equally when he plays well, rarely acknowledged. Shit game, pile on.
Conversely, and ironically a bit like Fred, strong mentality. Some players crumble under the pressure, Onana has proven the ability to drown out the noise from elsewhere.
I miss Fred as the bigger the moment, he never went missing. I suspect Onana will be the same.
Can’t argue with the fact Onana has been good since returning from AFCON but he seems to lack the discipline and decision making needed for the Premier league. Fred was a good comparison as he is sorely missed now and would’ve provided something in midfield we do miss. He was hot and cold as well but a better option than
Amrabat and Casemiro have been for central midfield this season. I don’t think I’ll look back and miss Onana if he leaves, I do hope he turns it around and becomes a success for United, he’s in his prime now and I can’t see him improving to the player we need. All we can hope for is an upgraded defence and midfield to reduce the shots on goal he faces.

Cantonalegod

He is a goalkeeper. When they make mistakes, generally ends up in the net. Like every other keeper, he makes them and CL aside, think hes been general good.

Is he the best in the world, no. Will he be better in front of a steady back four, yes.

He has literally played behind players that most wanted sold, players that rarely have played and a kid.

He has faced more shots than probably any utd GK in their first season.

Whether he is good enough or not, there probably isnt a keeper in world thats gonna look good under those circumstances.

I think he deserves a degree of patience and not use him as a scapegoat for our emotions
He has cost us 2 of the last 3 goals conceeded. Fortunately they were against the bottom 2 clubs, and we somehow still managed to get 4 points from those games, (instead of 6).

If he does the same against Arsenal, or City in the final there's probably no points, and no cup!

It's a pity yesterday, as he was having a decent game, great reaction save, and a good 1 on 1.

Andersons Dietician

Can see what Casemiro was doing but seems like Onana was really slow to react then when he eventually did it was too late. Seems the old adage when you come out to claim take everything, man, ball, teammate whatever just go through them needs revised for this new VAR era.

He still made a total mess of that incident but he had a few good saves.

MrBest

Can only think of where 45m could have been spent if we just kept de gea on for a year. Hag is deluded and should be responsible, onana is a good GK, not a great one.

Litch

Can only think of where 45m could have been spent if we just kept de gea on for a year. Hag is deluded and should be responsible, onana is a good GK, not a great one.
Not sure but didnt we have to give DDG a new contract or end it? Also wouldnt he have to take a pay cut too? Strange how nobody took the option of him on a free?

MrBest

Not sure but didnt we have to give DDG a new contract or end it? Also wouldnt he have to take a pay cut too? Strange how nobody took the option of him on a free?
I thought we could have done one year extension but we opted to spend 45m on Onana ...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
if it’s any comforting, it would have been wasted elsewhere as well. We may have tried to sign Amrabat on a permanent transfer.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
So
We are 9th in the table for shots on target conceded, Liverpool (243), Man City (235), Arsenal (205), Brighton (190), Villa (182), Tottenham (180), Newcastle (180) and Chelsea
(179) have conceded more shots on target, the difference is goals conceded, only Tottenham (49), Liverpool (36), Man City (32), Arsenal (26) and Everton! (48) have conceded less.
Would you mind explaining the save percentages as well please, I like a good laugh?

Last edited:

Cantonalegod

So
Don't think those stats are correct, for example, before today's game, Arsenal had only conceeded 73 shots on target in the league this season.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can we stop pulling up Mr Varnish for not realising those stats would've required Liverpool to concede over 20 shots against them each game?

Kostov

Genuine question, don’t we constantly top the shots conceded stat, season after season? Or am i mistaking it with another stat?

Litch

I thought we could have done one year extension but we opted to spend 45m on Onana ...
Not sure but wouldnt that mean paying DDG another 1.4 mil a month for a keeper on the decline?

Adamsk7

Ultimately he’s an average goalie who’s good with his feet and has a good mindset. Let’s stop acting like anything else is true.

he’d probably be ok if we were good but we’re not so all his flaws are being exposed x10

Andersonson

Imagine if Bailly was still here. Those two together would create some epic youtube comps.

A new manager would want a new GK, at least if champions league is the goal. With him we wont get anywhere close to a top 4 position

OldTrevil

Onana is a great goalie, he has saved a undisputed majority of the shots he's faced that it's amazing that people even need stats to get convinced. It looks like an agenda has already been set, I would guess mainly from the people who had shut their eyes off on the highly error prone and fundamentally compromised DDG, who had a good highlight real though.

Litch

I agree he did make a lot of mistakes but how many has Onana made this season alone while in his prime, at least DDG had his prime and lasted a few seasons more. I’m not saying DDG didn’t have his faults, he cost us Europa league trophy a few seasons ago with his pass to Maguire in the semis against Sevilla. Onana in the champions league games conceded from 7 errors leading to goals, more than anyone in the last 6 years.

In the league it hasn’t been much better, Wolves in the first game was a warning.

I’m not just judging the guy on his time at United but his time as a keeper in all leagues, I just don’t see him turning it around. Since January he’s been good and then two howlers two games in a row.

There was a reason why Cameroon dropped him as well as he had a shocker for them in the first game he played, I just don’t think he’s good enough for United.
I think it doesnt surprise me that the mistakes have come again after putting a midfielder as a CB. It just creates more chaos.

He shouldnt have made them mistakes but cant be easy with over 50 different reiterations of a CB pairing in front of you. He's had a kid, players most wanted sold, a player who only came here to get fit and players who have been in and out with injuries.....add the fact that hes faced more shoots that most keepers in europe... not that much then for your first season eh.

Arsenal keeper has made some clangers in his first season there, they binned off the other too. Good winning football, can hide a multitude of keepers sins even if its in your derby.

Litch

Onana is a great goalie, he has saved a undisputed majority of the shots he's faced that it's amazing that people even need stats to get convinced. It looks like an agenda has already been set, I would guess mainly from the people who had shut their eyes off on the highly error prone and fundamentally compromised DDG, who had a good highlight real though.
Yep. Fans are so transparent, its either the player was not the first choice for the hipsters or they replace a fan fave. Fans listen to the BS in the media, ex players who love a good pile on till it becomes a truism. As long as he is here, this will be how he is seen irrespective of how well he does.
As said previously, reminds me of Freds start here who never recovered even when he wasnt really as shit as people made out. Sadly it sticks...

Last edited: