5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of attempt that got the goal today will happen a lot to goalkeepers who go up and play as sweepers, for obvious reasons. He just needs to deal with them and our defense just needs to make sure they don't lose the ball too much around the middle circle area. Unless we start to concede like that often, I don't think it is a concern for him or the team at the moment.
Think it's ideal it happened today in a friendly - at least they will all be aware now it can happen. Small adjustments can be made.

Gonna be a lot of bending over backwards to make things not his fault this season I fear. That goal is absolutely his fault, not a terrible error since its such a good strike but definitely his error.

Not his error at all. Dalot has completely cocked up a single pass and obviously with the side in possession you’d expect the goalkeeper to push up and sweep in case we lose ball higher up the pitch or need the goalkeeper to act as a backboard to pass back to during the build up phase.

Gonna be a lot of bending over backwards to make things not his fault this season I fear. That goal is absolutely his fault, not a terrible error since its such a good strike but definitely his error.
He has some culpability for the goal, but not all. Closer to zero percent than fifty percent though.

If he's deep then he's not helping increase the pace of our defensive transition. He would be the third man from too far away from play and if the ball is played to him would give the initiative to the opponent, who would press and lead to the defensive line dropping deeper or us punting the ball.

His role is to support the defence as a third man to move the ball into midfield or out wide quickly in order to improve our territorial advantage and make passing and counter pressing easier.

Just accept that full backs playing for Manchester United should be able to play 10 metre passes, or play the ball to the third man successfully. It's not an Onana problem.
This.

If he's deep then he's not helping increase the pace of our defensive transition. He would be the third man from too far away from play and if the ball is played to him would give the initiative to the opponent, who would press and lead to the defensive line dropping deeper or us punting the ball.

His role is to support the defence as a third man to move the ball into midfield or out wide quickly in order to improve our territorial advantage and make passing and counter pressing easier.

Just accept that full backs playing for Manchester United should be able to play 10 metre passes, or play the ball to the third man successfully. It's not an Onana problem.
absolutely 100% the correct view. The goal is Dalot's fault, its Dalot's to own but the blame is not on Onana , even in opposite world.

Nonsense. does everything with Man utd have to be crap for some to get a buzz when they wake up

Onana's been bought to be what he is. Dalot default job as a professional football is not to give the ball away in that area. How anyone thinks that is Onana's fault is beyond me. To paraphrase David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap "Its not Onana's job to be as confused as Diego."

How should he take responsibility? Play like De Gea?

A lobbed goal is 1 goal as is a deflected shot or own goal.
Problem will arise when he's lobbed every weekend, same as if Martinez scores an own goal every weekend till January.

Till then, football is a game of goals and mistakes but still halfway lobbs, own goals are not that frequent.

We will concede goals in the coming season and everyone in the club will be responsible in one way or another. Till it becomes a weekend occurance then they is nothing to worry about.

This!!!

How should he take responsibility? Play like De Gea?

A lobbed goal is 1 goal as is a deflected shot or own goal.
Problem will arise when he's lobbed every weekend, same as if Martinez scores an own goal every weekend till January.

Till then, football is a game of goals and mistakes but still halfway lobbs, own goals are not that frequent.

We will concede goals in the coming season and everyone in the club will be responsible in one way or another. Till it becomes a weekend occurance then they is nothing to worry about.

I can’t really work out whether you’re agreeing with me or not!

Obviously it’s not a massive issue as it’s a friendly and the result doenst really matter, so of course it’s nothing to worry about, that’s not my point!

Ignoring the goal i though he was superb, like having a top class ball playing sweeper . Hes brought a whole new dynamic to playing and from the back.

First of all, it's not like the rest of the team have shown themselves to be mentality monsters or anything so far.

Secondly, this sort of needless comment is what translates to needless boos during preseason games by fans who're likely following these discussions. Let's just enjoy our progress without dragging the poor guy into every comment.

First of all the captain is meant to lead by example and countless times he never accepted responsibility for his own shite performances and instead blamed everything around him. My point is Onana here is openly accepting the responsibility despite it not even being his fault for the goal.

Secondly, if fans want to boo a player that’s on them, nothing to do with me making a comment on this forum.

Ignoring the goal i though he was superb, like having a top class ball playing sweeper . Hes brought a whole new dynamic to playing and from the back.
Yeah. The team will take a while to get used to him. The goal is a warning. We can’t ask Onana to push right out and then turn around and blame him if he gets lobbed. However, the players need to get it into their heads that there is an open goal behind them.

Onana very nearly got back to save that lob, by the way. When the team is up to speed, it probably wouldn’t have been a goal. Having said that, there are teams in the prem who will press us into a mistake several times a match and we’ll need to adapt our play to reflect the risk on a game by game basis. I think there will be quite a few bumps in the road.

Yeah. The team will take a while to get used to him. The goal is a warning. We can’t ask Onana to push right out and then turn around and blame him if he gets lobbed. However, the players need to get it into their heads that there is an open goal behind them.

Onana very nearly got back to save that lob, by the way. When the team is up to speed, it probably wouldn’t have been a goal. Having said that, there are teams in the prem who will press us into a mistake several times a match and we’ll need to adapt our play to reflect the risk on a game by game basis. I think there will be quite a few bumps in the road.

Or, you know, our defenders can concentrate and not give the ball away in dangerous areas under no pressure

Or, you know, our defenders can concentrate and not give the ball away in dangerous areas under no pressure
That will help. Or, you know, just don’t concede any goals ever. That would probably be best.

He was positioned exactly where he needs to be when we're trying to play out from the back. The days of the United keeper being stuck on his line are over.

Conceding that goal is not a big deal at all obviously - it’s a friendly, and not his error really either. But I can see more players than usual taking a look up and hitting it from distance against him early on in the season after this. I’m sure it’ll be fine, but if he did let another in, it has the potential to get in his head.

I’m picturing Brentford away last year. It’s just the kind of thing that happens to us.

Conceding that goal is not a big deal at all obviously - it’s a friendly, and not his error really either. But I can see more players than usual taking a look up and hitting it from distance against him early on in the season after this. I’m sure it’ll be fine, but if he did let another in, it has the potential to get in his head.

I’m picturing Brentford away last year. It’s just the kind of thing that happens to us.
The whole team has to adapt to him. Yes, as a minimum they have to not give it away cheaply in dangerous areas but there are some very good pressing teams in the prem and we will, inevitably, lose the ball within shooting distance of our goal. I assume there’s a plan to deal with that but executing it will be the tricky part.

Onana's been bought to be what he is. Dalot default job as a professional football is not to give the ball away in that area. How anyone thinks that is Onana's fault is beyond me. To paraphrase David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap "Its not Onana's job to be as confused as Diego."
United fans love to shit on players. Nothing new, and neither is their love for highlighting mistakes that should not happen

On the Athletic podcast they said that Onana isn't someone who fecks around when taking responsibility for his mistakes. He'll come out every time and admit when he's done something wrong.

Goal was 100% on Dalot. Onana’s position was fine. You just can’t give the ball away like that and not risk being punished. Execution of a very difficult chance was flawless, which is the main reason they scored. Every few games you’ll see someone try a shot like that. Only very rarely do they go in. Because it’s extremely hard to aim the ball so precisely from that far out.

Just seen the goal and I think that's just a great strike rather than it being his fault.

Don't think he's in a terrible position and it all came from us losing possession cheaply when it should have been safe.

Just to be absolutely clear, Onana was where he was because the team was in the middle of what should have been a fairly comfortable phase of the build-up, in more contested phases/circumstances of play he won't be where he was here. Dalot's mistake was colossal and completely unacceptable for a professional RB, that's all there is to it.
One would think this was obvious but reading some posts, seems like people haven't gotten that.

Onana isn't going to be in that position when the opposing player have the ball in that sort of area. The only reason he was that high is because we were in our build up phase where moving the ball between defenders and Onana high up the pitch should be comfortable. No one accounted for Dalot having a lapse in concentration and messing up a simple pass to put the Lens player in a position to catch Onana way out of his line.

It's like saying a keeper messed up because he didn't save a deflected goal because he wasn't in the right place to save that ball. If he was initially positioned right for the shot and it suddenly get deflected, no one should be crying about him not being in the right place to make the save. He positioned himself in the right spot in the first place but a deflection happened. Same with Onana in this game, he was where he was supposed to be(be available as a passing option during our build up phase with us comfortably having the ball) then a bad mistake suddenly put him on the back foot when it wasn't supposed to be.

Goal was 100% on Dalot. Onana’s position was fine. You just can’t give the ball away like that and not risk being punished. Execution of a very difficult chance was flawless, which is the main reason they scored. Every few games you’ll see someone try a shot like that. Only very rarely do they go in. Because it’s extremely hard to aim the ball so precisely from that far out.
Sure but we’ll need to get used to these shots happening because we are guaranteed to lose the ball against a lot of prem teams and it won’t be anybody’s fault, we’ll just, sometimes, get pressed into being dispossessed. With the goal open, shots will happen, just as shit happens.

We need to learn how to minimise these events and in the meantime hold our nerve and let Onana do what he does.

Sure but we’ll need to get used to these shots happening because we are guaranteed to lose the ball against a lot of prem teams and it won’t be anybody’s fault, we’ll just, sometimes, get pressed into being dispossessed. With the goal open, shots will happen, just as shit happens.

We need to learn how to minimise these events and in the meantime hold our nerve and let Onana do what he does.

I'd welcome these shots happening, because the vast, vast majority of the time they're going to go sailing over the bar, and way off target. This specific position isn't really an issue. It was just a really, really poor ball from Dalot, and a fantastic strike from the Lens player.

Definitely RBs fault. 3-4 passing options - including the GK - under no pressure, and he basically passes it into space between our defenders onto a runner for an easy chance.

It was a really unusual dispossession. Rolled in front of an opposition player at the perfect pace for him to take it on the run, under no pressure. You’d like that to think that bad an error is very very rare.

And if opposition teams fancy themselves to score with snap shots from 40 yards out in every match then more fool them.

Last edited:
I'd welcome these shots happening, because the vast, vast majority of the time they're going to go sailing over the bar, and way off target. This specific position isn't really an issue. It was just a really, really poor ball from Dalot, and a fantastic strike from the Lens player.
It’s a trade off. There is more risk but more reward. It’s just not what we’re used to.

It was a really unusual dispossession. Rolled in front of an opposition player at the perfect pace from him to take it on the run, under no pressure. You’d like that to think that bad an error is very very rare.
I agree.

Better teams will get it off us in those areas without anyone making an error. It’s bound to happen. It’s the price of doing business.

Onana doing modern goalkeeper things, he has the Ederson look about him, on edge, stuck in goal when he really wants to play attacking mid. Utd just don't have City's dominance to cover for any errors.

People are going to appreciate why De Gea has an argument to be the greatest PL keeper of them all, up there with Cech and Allison.

:lol: stop it

Mistake from Dalot but keeper should never let a goal in from half line. Hopefully we will not see many goals like that next season.

He was fine, we need to improve our passing and possession game. It is that simple. No point in having a GK this good on the ball if you dont improve the whole team on it as well. We are lacking behind in that aspect

Mistake from Dalot but keeper should never let a goal in from half line. Hopefully we will not see many goals like that next season.

I reckon teams will try to exploit him and test him in different ways. If he's off his line, try to lob him and it maybe causes indecision at the least. But I don't think he looks convincing at the actual goalkeeping part and teams will be encouraged to get shots off and look for loose saves and mistakes on the follow up. Not to mention how he flaps at aerial balls quite a bit and parries into dangerous areas. I've only seen the highlights today but he also made some poor passes from the back when under pressure. He was great in possession in the CL final but I'm not sure if that's his standard performance or just a good day.

He's going to have to be made of tough stuff because I think teams are going to be looking at some of this and seeing potential for a mistake or two, and the better teams will be trying to put him under pressure in different ways.

Whilst De Gea was a bit more vanilla, I don't think teams expected mistakes even if they did happen. Only in possession really, but we didn't involve him too much in the build up and negated that issue for the most part.

He was fine, we need to improve our passing and possession game. It is that simple. No point in having a GK this good on the ball if you dont improve the whole team on it as well. We are lacking behind in that aspect
Exactly right. But also we have to accept a few hairy moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.