View full 2014-15 profile

6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be generous and say about 30% of this forum have ever seen him play more than twice.
I've watched him play in every game in the season just gone after our interest last summer, if we could've signed Ander Iturasspe aswel, then our midfield would be in absolutely wonderful shape overnight.

Waiting for everything to play out would be really boring.

Anyway, it's not my opinion. I've never even seen him play properly.

from what I read/have seen of him he can play quite advanced but also is good at dropping back to help out defensively, I think we can use him pretty well because of that as a CM :)

Now Van Gaal needs a number 6 in midfield. Luis Gustavo? Herrera and Mata will light up Old Trafford.

I've watched him play in every game in the season just gone after our interest last summer, if we could've signed Ander Iturasspe aswel, then our midfield would be in absolutely wonderful shape overnight.

Must be mindful though, we don't have that much game without Europa.

Mata / Kagawa / Rooney / RvP still needs to play.

Unless we go nazi and simply bin the rest of our previous midfield, I don't think buying too many players at once is the way to go. Subjective though, unless the said players accepts getting limited game time and started to get slotted slowly into becoming the first eleven.

Must be mindful though, we don't have that much game without Europa.

Mata / Kagawa / Rooney / RvP still needs to play.

Unless we go nazi and simply bin the rest of our previous midfield, I don't think buying too many players at once is the way to go. Subjective though, unless the said players accepts getting limited game time and started to get slotted slowly into becoming the first eleven.
I mentioned Iturasspe because he is a player who plays as the deep lying playmaker for Bilbao and would really add something to our midfield. But having said that, Bilbao would probably hire a hitman to get Woody if we tried to sign another first team player from them.

People have asked, is he good? It appears to me that this is an example of a player being undervalued and under appreciated because he played on a small stage at Bilbao. If he played for either of the Madrid clubs or Barcelona, he would be mainstream based on how observers have described his game. Now that he plays for a massive club in Man United where there are always eyeballs watching, he will get to truly showcase his talents.

People have asked, is he good? It appears to me that this is an example of a player being undervalued and under appreciated because he played on a small stage at Bilbao. If he played for either of the Madrid clubs or Barcelona, he would be mainstream based on how observers have described his game. Now that he plays for a massive club in Man United where there are always eyeballs watching, he will get to truly showcase his talents.
I agree with this post

Herrera is going to surprise alot of people when the season starts. He has all the qualities that a real top cm needs and he will be fantastic for us.

^ Yep. If you look at Herrera's stats, they are very similar to Modric's at Tottenham. Now he's at Real Madrid, he's recognised as one of the best midfielders around. A lot of similarities between him and Herrera.

Hmm I've been reading the other locked thread, and it seems a lot of people are wondering how Bilbao can reject a buyout clause. They didn't reject a buyout clause. The offer that was rejected was United's direct offer of 36m i.e. not the buyout clause. That was the bid reported to be rejected. Then United moved on to getting Herrera to activate his buyout clause, which is why the stories 24 hours before we signed him were about him going to the Spanish tax office to hand the money and documents in.

Funny how Bilbao chose to publicise the rejected bid right before the announcement, when in fact they had most likely rejected the bid earlier this week and not yesterday as they made it out to be. I'm imagining the people running the Twitter account sitting back with a bucket of popcorn watching the chaos unfold after they tweeted about the rejected bid.

I suspect United didn't even expect Bilbao to accept the direct offer, it was more of a 'why not? Might as well' scenario, as evidenced by how quickly we moved on to the buyout clause after the direct bid was rejected.

Either way, we signed a CM! Ed is love. Ed is life :D

Last edited:
Finally, a proper centre midfield signing. Brilliant.

What happens to Fellaini now? Will Van Gaal "Schweinsteiger" him as a centreback? :lol:

what shirt number do we think he will get? our new #7 or something else?

I think Luke Shaw will get 5 for now as it's the only defenders one unassigned

I'm guessing he gets #8 and Mata gets moved to #7.

Everybody is happy that way.

I'm not happy with Mata number 7 though. He's more suit for number 10 or number 20. Unfortunately, Rooney and RVP have them.

i hate to be greedy but i'd like to see us bring in another CM, someone dynamic to fit with Herrera.

Is it just me or I feel that Herrera is not that good in his passing so I though if we want another centre midfield, we should looking at great passer and can control the midfield like Scholes or type of deeplying playmaker like Alonso or Pirlo.

I love the way it starts by saying by the start of the season he will be 25 as if we have bought a player nearing the twilight of his career. I stopped reading there.
Actually the last part was quite true and a good point to make:
Some fecking useless scouser blogger said:
Man Utd seems to lack the ability to make deals via leverage and just splashes the cash to avoid negotiation. If a player wants to leave a club and his valuation is surpassed, it's hard for the retaining club to deny such a transaction. Luke Shaw is not worth £30m, but unfortunately Ricardo Rodriguez is now probably worth £50m because of deals like these.
And that is exactly the positive side of us overspending (from the viewpoint of other club's budget).

Is it just me or I feel that Herrera is not that good in his passing so I though if we want another centre midfield, we should looking at great passer and can control the midfield like Scholes or type of deeplying playmaker like Alonso or Pirlo.
I think he's a great passer. The problem is many people look at his stats and don't see a Barcelonian success ratio of +/-90%. But they fail to see how many through passes he plays. He plays way more risky passes that obviously don't connect as many times as the short, safe back- and side-passes do.

I think he's a great passer. The problem is many people look at his stats and don't see a Barcelonian success ratio of +/-90%. But they fail to see how many through passes he plays. He plays way more risky passes that obviously don't connect as many times as the short, safe back- and side-passes do.

Indeed. If you go by passing stats, Tom Cleverly looks a good midfielder.

Plus it also depends on your teammates / on ppl who are available or make themselves available to receive the ball and also who are capable of receiving the ball in tight positions. I mean look at Alex Song. Despite Arsenal also being a possesion team his passing accuracy with Arsenal was "only" 84-86 %, while at Barcelona it was 90-94 %. Of course your passing stats will improve if you have players like Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets to pass to.

Yep, I'd go along with your viewpoint. But we were pretty certain we'd get a few midfielders last year and we ended up with Fellaini. You can never be sure with United under our new CEO Woodward.

I find it hard to believe how @Eric'sCollar can't even entertain this notion but rather than just simply disagree with it which is fine, try to ridicule me for thinking such a situation might arise. I'm not saying it will happen nor am I saying I want it to but none of us thought Scholes would come back, but he did and it made sense when you realised what a cesspit our midfield was. If our defence is still fecked and we can't get a experienced replacement, I don't see why Rio might not get another opportunity under the new gaffer LVG.

This is the way I see it. Lets say Rio hadn't been a utd player but had played at the same level for a club for the last 10, he would have been the perfect signing for us to bring on the younger players wouldn't he, in the same way as the Larry White cameo.....?

Last edited:

Its just you.

Its just you.

It's not. I've watched Herrera since he was 21 and I don't think he's a great passer at all. He's certainly not someone who's going to control the midfield for us.

He is a good passer. Always looks for a good ball , (loves a through ball). Stats don't mean anything without context. But he is no worldie who is going to light up the PL with gobsmacking passes and control the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.