6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its just you.
yeah I guess it's just me. I watched his compilation in YouTube. He missed some of easy passes which what make me worry. And he's not a typical of Carrick or Scholes passing and vision. His playing style is also more likely a box to box midfielder if I have to say. But he's obviously what we need. An energetic midfield. We lack energy in midfield last season.

He is a good passer. Always looks for a good ball , (loves a through ball). Stats don't mean anything without context. But he is no worldie who is going to light up the PL with gobsmacking passes and control the midfield.

I haven't watch his stats yet though if anyone knows the website. I only watched his compilation matches in YouTube. That's where I'm judging his passing.

Excellent stuff, well done Woody!

Ideal in a midfield 3 he is IMO, hopefully the Chosen Van will herald a shift to a 4-3-3

It's not. I've watched Herrera since he was 21 and I don't think he's a great passer at all. He's certainly not someone who's going to control the midfield for us.

Oops.. I guess it's not just me.

He will no doubt stick with 21. Especially coming to a new country, for a bigger club. As strange as it sounds he will desperately want to keep hold of that number.

It's not. I've watched Herrera since he was 21 and I don't think he's a great passer at all. He's certainly not someone who's going to control the midfield for us.

He's not a player who needs a play maker besides him. I never said Ander Herrera was the next Iniesta. But to say he is "not that good in his passing", as the poster I responded to did, is simply wrong. Herrera's passing is definitely above average. As I've stated before there is more than one way to skin a cat. Not every side has someone who puts their foot on the ball, Bayern didn't when they won the treble they used the power and presence of Schweinsteiger and Martinez. No Herrera isn't a metronome but he doesn't need one next to him to be successful.

yeah I guess it's just me. I watched his compilation in YouTube. He missed some of easy passes which what make me worry. And he's not a typical of Carrick or Scholes passing and vision. His playing style is also more likely a box to box midfielder if I have to say. But he's obviously what we need. An energetic midfield. We lack energy in midfield last season.

Again, no dispute from me here. However, City just won the league with Fernandinho and Toure in centre midfield. Holland blew Spain out of the water without a deep lying playmaker, as did Chile. Having Pirlo didn't really help Italy cope with the energy and pressing of Costa Rica etc. Herrera isn't the next Xabi Alonso, he's not going to hang back and pick out long passes. However, that isn't going to be an issue. Herrera will carry the ball forward with him, and in and around the box he is more than good enough at picking his passes.

Herrera maybe doesn't come across best through compilations but this is my favourite:

Last edited:
Shaw will be 15 I reckon and will take the number 3 when Evra leaves/retires. I would like Herrera to take 18, but I guess he'll stick with his number 21.

fair enough, that makes sense that he will take 3 eventually, Henriquez is 21 right now isn't he? do you think he will go on loan again or?

I'd love Adnan to be our new #7 tbh :D

---------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------

--------------P.Jones----------J.Evans---------?------------------------

---Rafael------------------------------------------------------L.Shaw---

------------------------------Carrick-------------------------------------

---------------Herrera------------------------J.Mata-------------------

--------------------Rooney-------RVP------------------------------------

Again, no dispute from me here. However, City just won the league with Fernandinho and Toure in centre midfield. Holland blew Spain out of the water without a deep lying playmaker, as did Chile. Having Pirlo didn't really help Italy cope with the energy and pressing of Costa Rica etc. Herrera isn't the next Xabi Alonso, he's not going to hang back and pick out long passes. However, that isn't going to be an issue. Herrera will carry the ball forward with him, and in and around the box he is more than good enough at picking his passes.

:nono: You are missing my point man.
What I mean was if we are planning to sign another midfield then we should target a midfield who can pass the ball. I'm okay if we stick with Carrick Herrera and Mata in trio, and also I'm trusting our youth players to shine in the future. But I'm just saying if we are going to sign the 2nd one then we should sign someone who can pick a pass. I don't really care what kind of role he plays even if he's deeplying midfield or Scholes type. As long as he can pick a pass. May be like Ryan Giggs.

---------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------

--------------P.Jones----------J.Evans---------?------------------------

---Rafael------------------------------------------------------L.Shaw---

------------------------------Carrick-------------------------------------

---------------Herrera------------------------J.Mata-------------------

--------------------Rooney-------RVP------------------------------------

I don't get it. Clearly LVG only use 352 just because the absent of Strootman. And try a formation which he thought really good against a team like Spain. It's not like he will stick with 352 forever.

I don't get it. Clearly LVG only use 352 just because the absent of Strootman. And try a formation which he thought really good against a team like Spain. It's not like he will stick with 352 forever.
This. People need to get the 3-5-2 out of their system. Most likely formations for united next season: 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

I'm really struggling to get on board with one - more so than the Luke Shaw move (which I'm struggling plenty with).

It's a feck-ton of money to be spending on someone who isn't anywhere near the top bracket of midfield players in the world. It almost feels like we're signing the Spanish equivalent of Fabian Delph (If you go with the idea that Jesus Navas is the Spanish equivalent of Ashley Young... in that he's very quick, and can decieve you into think he's good, but he's actually quite rubbish... though Navas is of course better than Young, because Spaniards are better than the English at football... so he's a better footballer by the standard incremental amount) ... which isn't really the world beating centre midfielder I had hoped for, or that we deseperatly need.

:nono: You are missing my point man.
What I mean was if we are planning to sign another midfield then we should target a midfield who can pass the ball. I'm okay if we stick with Carrick Herrera and Mata in trio, and also I'm trusting our youth players to shine in the future. But I'm just saying if we are going to sign the 2nd one then we should sign someone who can pick a pass. I don't really care what kind of role he plays even if he's deeplying midfield or Scholes type. As long as he can pick a pass. May be like Ryan Giggs.

Maybe to some extent I missed you're point. However, I don't think we need the player you're saying we do. Look at how football is changing. The most successful sides in the last couple of years have not been the ones using deep lying play makers. The exception is Juventus, but they have Pogba and Vidal to do Pirlo's running for him, and they hit a roadblock in Europe.

You are saying we should buy a type of player that has been going out of fashion since Bayern Munich beat Barcelona by 7 goals on aggregate. Atleti got to the Champions League final, eliminating Barca on the way, with a solid 4-4-2 playing Gabi and Tiago. There is not a single team left in the World Cup who use a proper deep lying player, with the possible exception of Cabaye in the French midfield (again someone who has Pogba and, in this case, Matuidi, to do the heavy lifting). Most sides use aggressive pressing and hard running to dominate games as Holland and Chile did against Spain. Brazil are advancing mostly through the ability of their midfielders to nick the ball high up the pitch and get it fast to Neymar. Pretty much nobody is using the Carrick type metronome who sits back and sprays passes. A new football cycle has begun.

If we are going to sign a second midfielder it should be someone like Javi Martinez or Fernandinho who is strong, powerful and can get up and down the pitch alongside Ander.

He's not a player who needs a play maker besides him. I never said Ander Herrera was the next Iniesta. But to say he is "not that good in his passing", as the poster I responded to did, is simply wrong. Herrera's passing is definitely above average. As I've stated before there is more than one way to skin a cat. Not every side has someone who puts their foot on the ball, Bayern didn't when they won the treble they used the power and presence of Schweinsteiger and Martinez. No Herrera isn't a metronome but he doesn't need one next to him to be successful.

I don't think you're actually disagreeing with what him. He's simply saying that Herrera doesn't look like a Scholes-type passer and that if we were to add another midfielder it'd ideally be a playmaker. He doesn't need one to play alongside him but I personally think we need a playmaker with the way our team is set up. I agree he's an "above average" passer but I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise. He's just not a great passer. I love Vidal but it would be a little frustrating for me to see us spend £60m+ on two midfielders and still lack a passer in the middle.

I'm really struggling to get on board with one - more so than the Luke Shaw move (which I'm struggling plenty with).

It's a feck-ton of money to be spending on someone who isn't anywhere near the top bracket of midfield players in the world. It almost feels like we're signing the Spanish equivalent of Fabian Delph (If you go with the idea that Jesus Navas is the Spanish equivalent of Ashley Young... in that he's very quick, and can decieve you into think h e's good, but he's actually quite rubbish... though Navas is of course better than Young, because Spaniards are better than the English at football...) ... which isn't really the world beating centre midfielder I had hoped for, or that we deseperatly need.

Neither was Fernandinho, neither was Martinez, Modric was only slightly more highly rated at Spurs. You don't need to sign the best midfielders on the planet to get a quality player. Have you ever watched Herrera?

4-3-3

------------------------De Gea-----------------------

----Rafael-------P.Jones---J.Evans--------Shaw--

---------------------Carrick--------------------------

-------------Herrera----------Kag/Strootman-----

------Wellbeck-----RVP--------Rooney-----------

Welbeck when alternatives include Mata and Januzaj? Did you mean to put De Gea in or is that a typo for 'Amos' ?

I don't think you're actually disagreeing with what him. He's simply saying that Herrera doesn't look like a Scholes-type passer and that if we were to add another midfielder it'd ideally be a playmaker. He doesn't need one to play alongside him but I personally think we need a playmaker with the way our team is set up. I agree he's an "above average" passer but I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise. He's just not a great passer. I love Vidal but it would be a little frustrating for me to see us spend £60m+ on two midfielders and still lack a passer in the middle.

We still have Carrick - he is that player. He's had a woefully bad season which really exposed his lack of character, but I think in a good team he'll return to his controlling, incisive style.

I actually think with Mata/Kagawa/Rooney vying for the 10 spot and all preferring to drop into midfield to receive and link the play we do need a more Vidalesque midfielder to round off our summer signings (CB too & a winger, sure why not.)

I've been impressed with Carvalho so far in his limited outings - big, strong and technically decent - best thing about him seems to be his reading of the game and positioning. I'd be slightly wary of buying two less established CMs and throwing them right in, but I think he's a realistic target and could grow into a real Rolls Royce.

Also would be more than happy with Strootman, if not just because he looks like RVPs midfielder brother.

Neither was Fernandinho, neither was Martinez, Modric was only slightly more highly rated at Spurs. You don't need to sign the best midfielders on the planet to get a quality player. Have you ever watched Herrera?

Yep - I watched him in about half a dozen or so games this season - largely due to our interest in him last season. Wanted to find out what all the fuss was about - and I've found him to be good (very good at times actually ) without exactly blowing me away. Still, by all accounts he's had a very good season for Bilbao - but he still has to kick on from that.

And I'd say Modric and Martinez were certainly more highly rated before their big moves - especially Martinez, who got non-stop rave reports.

It's a feck-ton of money to be spending on someone who isn't anywhere near the top bracket of midfield players in the world. It almost feels like we're signing the Spanish equivalent of Fabian Delph (If you go with the idea that Jesus Navas is the Spanish equivalent of Ashley Young... in that he's very quick, and can decieve you into think he's good, but he's actually quite rubbish... though Navas is of course better than Young, because Spaniards are better than the English at football... so he's a better footballer by the standard incremental amount) ... which isn't really the world beating centre midfielder I had hoped for, or that we deseperatly need.
You're really underrating Herrera here.

Maybe to some extent I missed you're point. However, I don't think we need the player you're saying we do. Look at how football is changing. The most successful sides in the last couple of years have not been the ones using deep lying play makers. The exception is Juventus, but they have Pogba and Vidal to do Pirlo's running for him, and they hit a roadblock in Europe.

You are saying we should buy a type of player that has been going out of fashion since Bayern Munich beat Barcelona by 7 goals on aggregate. Atleti got to the Champions League final, eliminating Barca on the way, with a solid 4-4-2 playing Gabi and Tiago. There is not a single team left in the World Cup who use a proper deep lying player, with the possible exception of Cabaye in the French midfield (again someone who has Pogba and, in this case, Matuidi, to do the heavy lifting). Most sides use aggressive pressing and hard running to dominate games as Holland and Chile did against Spain. Brazil are advancing mostly through the ability of their midfielders to nick the ball high up the pitch and get it fast to Neymar. Pretty much nobody is using the Carrick type metronome who sits back and sprays passes. A new football cycle has begun.

If we are going to sign a second midfielder it should be someone like Javi Martinez or Fernandinho who is strong, powerful and can get up and down the pitch alongside Ander.

Koke is actually really good for picking a pass. Gabi has decent pass as well I think. We have Herrera. And he's not a great passer and we need to fill in that weakness, but as what you said before he can carry the ball forward with him. I'm just saying what happen if we face a team who does a bus. Surely Herrera won't be able to carry the ball forward beating 9 defenders. What happen if we face a team who has very solid and tough midfielder. Just carrying the ball forward isn't enough. We need a plan B then. Make someone who can deliver a great ball like Pirlo. Like Scholes. Like Alonso etc. Or even the pass like what Carrick did to Chicharito against Chelsea. And also we need a centre midfield who switch the ball from left to right or right to left. I can see a reassemble Henderson with Herrera. Just imagine what happen if Gerrrard is actually Alonso or someone who can pass the ball like Scholes. Liverpool would probably have won the league not City.

As I said before it doesn't matter what role, as long as he can pick a pass. Scholes and Ryan Giggs are another example of player who can pick a pass and they are not a deeplying midfielder who just sit back like Carrick or Pirlo

Koke is actually really good for picking a pass. Gabi has decent pass as well I think. We have Herrera. And he's not a great passer and we need to fill in that weakness, but as what you said before he can carry the ball forward with him. I'm just saying what happen if we face a team who does a bus. Surely Herrera won't be able to carry the ball forward beating 9 defenders. What happen if we face a team who has very solid and tough midfielder. Just carrying the ball forward isn't enough. We need a plan B then. Make someone who can deliver a great ball like Pirlo. Like Scholes. Like Alonso and etc. Or even the pass like what Carrick did to Chicharito against Chelsea. And also we need a centre midfield who switch the ball from left to right or right to left. I can see a reassemble Henderson with Herrera. Just imagine what happen if Gerrrard is actually Alonso or someone who can pass the ball like Scholes. Liverpool would probably have won the league not City.

Koke doesn't play in centre midfield for Atleti, he plays off the flank. I'm not certain Gabi's passing is better than Herrera's. In fact, having watched them both a lot, I'd dispute the idea that Gabi's passing is better than Herrera's. They're both above average passers yes but neither is the kind of player you're referring to e.g. a Scholes or a Pirlo.

We still have Carrick - he is that player. He's had a woefully bad season which really exposed his lack of character, but I think in a good team he'll return to his controlling, incisive style.

I actually think with Mata/Kagawa/Rooney vying for the 10 spot and all preferring to drop into midfield to receive and link the play we do need a more Vidalesque midfielder to round off our summer signings (CB too & a winger, sure why not.)

I've been impressed with Carvalho so far in his limited outings - big, strong and technically decent - best thing about him seems to be his reading of the game and positioning. I'd be slightly wary of buying two less established CMs and throwing them right in, but I think he's a realistic target and could grow into a real Rolls Royce.

I think to be fair to @Brwned its that his response to my posts shows he and I have a slightly different perspective on the game, same with @JSMHE.

Carrick, good as he is, is coming to the end of his career and there's a question of where we go next. For me, the answer is more energy, more running, more power. @JSMHE and @Brwned seem to be making the case for style and guile and a bit of the unexpected from the base of our midfield.

Looking at Van Gaal's teams of recent years he hasn't tended to use a deep lying play maker. It has mostly been destroyer, box-to-box, creative force. Carrick is a bit different to that, he's not a De Jong or a Van Bommel. I expect that if Van Gaal adds a midfielder it will be one that fits that template, and to me that will be fine because its that template that's been dominating football for the past couple of years.

You're really underrating Herrera here.

As I said, Spanish equivalent of Fabian Delph (but a lot better due to the Spanish/English incremental increase in quality). Known for being box to box, working hard, generally playing quite well all the time - but not breaking into the national side or played at the top level yet.

Nah, I fully realise I'm doing him a disservice - I've seen him play a full game of football about 7 or 8 times, which isn't enough to build an opinion of a player on - so all I really have to go on is reports/opinions on others. Still, if my personal feeling is to be cocnerned, I can hardly change that until the lad puts a United shirt on and proves me wrong - which I have no doubt he's capable of doing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either of their passing abilities (obviously not scholes esque) but it's just we won't have a player who dictates the tempo of the game more then anything, like scholes used to do, or Carrick used to do. It's not necessarily a bad thing really, it could go either way, it's just a change in style and goes a little against Van Gaal's usual style I think.

He will no doubt stick with 21. Especially coming to a new country, for a bigger club. As strange as it sounds he will desperately want to keep hold of that number.

He might not be a massive twat though

Koke doesn't play in centre midfield for Atleti, he plays off the flank. I'm not certain Gabi's passing is better than Herrera's. In fact, having watched them both a lot, I'd dispute the idea that Gabi's passing is better than Herrera's. They're both above average passers yes but neither is the kind of player you're referring to e.g. a Scholes or a Pirlo.

He plays!! Not all games but he plays as a centre midfield for Atletico. Not so sure if I'm asking a player like Scholes or Pirlo. I'm just talking about their pass. And I don't think I said Gabi's passing is better than them. But at least we know that Koke's passing is better than any our last season centre midfield passes including Herrera. Which we can say Atletico has a great passer in their team.

I think to be fair to @Brwned its that his response to my posts shows he and I have a slightly different perspective on the game, same with @JSMHE.

Carrick, good as he is, is coming to the end of his career and there's a question of where we go next. For me, the answer is more energy, more running, more power. @JSMHE and @Brwned seem to be making the case for style and guile and a bit of the unexpected from the base of our midfield.

Looking at Van Gaal's teams of recent years he hasn't tended to use a deep lying play maker. It has mostly been destroyer, box-to-box, creative force. Carrick is a bit different to that, he's not a De Jong or a Van Bommel. I expect that if Van Gaal adds a midfielder it will be one that fits that template, and to me that will be fine because its that template that's been dominating football for the past couple of years.

Herrera is energetic judging from the compilation matches I watched. He can do both defense and attack. And obviously he does running as well. So I guess there we go we have your answer now Herrera. A midfielder who can do both attack and defense, energetic and more running. But just imagine if LVG have Pirlo or Alonso or Scholes or Giggs or even Koke in his Netherlands team a centre midfield who can switch the ball flank to flank and a long beautiful ball. Man, he's probably will be more pleased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.