All-Time Fantasy Draft - EDogen v Brwned

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought that's what you were getting at, the partner thing, not as much the stamina to lead alone, but that's a fair point.

Unfortunately you're the one tasked with doing it Fort, the higher-ups have all agreed on it! You've got the deciding vote.

Of course we all acknowledged Romario was extremely lazy but in fairness I'd not even considered the fact he needed a Stoichkov or Bebeto there to do the rest of the strikers' work for him, and indeed Cruyff would not appreciate his total disinterest in the build-up.

This draft game is great, amazing stuff, really. I learned so much about the history of the game and read lots of amazing stories. Thanks to everyone who's contributing.

The reason I voted for Brwned was his smart setup. Every position chosen carefully and well explained, a few of my all time favorites in the team as well, played to their strength. Great stuff. I hope you guys find a equally entertaining way to decide what team is going to the next round, no doubt that both deserve to go through.

Good question! Up first would have to be the king, Don Alfredo; next up is ultra-reliable Andreas Brehme; then Giggsy who very rarely let you down from the spot; goalscorer extroardinaire Alberto Spencer with the 4th; and Roy Keane - scorer of the 5th to keep us in the shootout v Arsenal in 2005 - taking the final one.

First Cruyff, second Romario, then Figo with the third, then we have Guardiola with the 4th and in this sub-trial world the 5th would have gone to Dzajic (and if that was not okay, Redondo would have taken it otherwise).

Lovely stuff, gents. I've got Brwned down for at least four of those being bagged (I have never seen Spencer, so can't say what he's like at pens).

Whilst I'd expect at least four of EDogen's to score as well.

Tough call, though I'm a fan of Southall in nets so may be swayed that direction.

Whoops, been busy since I posted.

What I thought would be pointed out is that Romario (and I love the guy) was one of the most lazy, utterly reliant on natural brilliance type of top tier strikers there has been.

His game was based around very short, elusive bursts of acceleration across diagonals and he always played with a support striker in close vicinity to him to not only act as a decoy but to be the perfect buffer in tabela type (one-two's etc) build-ups.

He was also a notoriously awful trainer - because for his type of game he never had to make much effort as he's a naturally brilliant player, ergo, his general stamina as a man leading the line in a 4-3-3 should be questioned.

As with the two paragraphs above, Romario was also not a player who would arse himself to run or even jog if a play wasn't on. In a 4-3-3, or any system where he has to 'run the line' for himself or others, there should be serious question marks about not only his stamina and ability to do so, but his willingness, as well.

If we're going to pick up on Garrincha being a forward; someone absolutely renowned for not tracking back or doing any work outside of the final third, we should probably be picking up on Romario's numerous idiosyncracies as well.

In terms of effort and work-rate, Berbatov is about the closest to Romario you're going to find out there, the big difference being Romario was devastating with the few bits of effort he would put into a game and never marveled at his own brilliance. As far as Romario was concerned, as long he got a couple of goals or won his side the match, he was golden, and he got a free pass for being so idle a player because of his propensity for delivering.

As soon as I saw Edogen's formation and attacking personal, I thought the Romario question marks would be raised quite vigorously - he is not a guy who is going to lead a line or appreciate being tasked with doing so as his game was about subtlety, guile and outright deception. He won't compensate for his height by running more either..

I've got to wonder how long he would be interested in ploughing a lone furrow. Personally, I don't think he would last a half if he was doing all the things a lead the line striker is supposed to do rather than playing as he did.. and if he played as he did, I don't see how he is going to give those supporting him enough.

An issue with some of the sides in the draft is in marrying systems and logistics of undeniably brilliant players and in Cruyff - who comes from an ideology of complete effort and graft, you've a massive clash with the staccato motions of the Brazilian up front who came to life in minute bursts of intensity with that natural languid style he had. I could see it working if Romario would 'try harder' but his entire career and his adamance as an individual suggest that if things weren't going smoothly, he'd just shut up shop.

Once again, this isn't a knock on Romario or Edogen; Romario is one of my favourite players of all-time, but outside of a South American or Latin system, I do not see him being optimized.

As for voting, I'd rather not. Just here for the show!

Even though I agree Romario was a lazy player and probably never lived up to his potential, but I felt that was a bit too harsh on him, since he has played in a system like this (in Barcelona 1994-1995), scoring 30 goals in 33 league games..

Every player has his pros and cons, and I feel if we highlight every con for every player we'll never find the perfect player really, but overall I still thought that was a bit too harsh on a player who has scored ~1000 goals in his career, something very few players were able to do.

I'm not convinced on Cruyff as #1, if he had that much bottle he'd be slotting away the peno in '74 himself! If it helps I'd be more than comfortable with slotting Falcao in there instead of Spencer, I actually had a quick check myself to see if he took part in any penalty shootouts in the Copa Libertadores but alas no. I just assume a goalscorer of that pedigree could slot it away from the spot. Are there many top-class poachers that were a bit rubbish from the spot? I'm sure there were a few.

Good question! Up first would have to be the king, Don Alfredo; next up is ultra-reliable Andreas Brehme; then Giggsy who very rarely let you down from the spot; goalscorer extroardinaire Alberto Spencer with the 4th; and Roy Keane - scorer of the 5th to keep us in the shootout v Arsenal in 2005 - taking the final one.

Recently, maybe. But he was terrible with penalty kicks early on and I remember him missing a crucial penalty back in the 90s after which Fergie totally stopped giving him penalties. He confessed the same in his documentary, that he hated taking penalties and was always thankful that he didn't get to take them.

Recently, maybe. But he was terrible with penalty kicks early on and I remember him missing a crucial penalty back in the 90s after which Fergie totally stopped giving him penalties. He confessed the same in his documentary, that he hated taking penalties and was always thankful that he didn't get to take them.

Southampton mid 90s in FA Cup. That's the only 1 i remember him missing. Didn't take one again til 2008 CL final

Southampton mid 90s in FA Cup. That's the only 1 i remember him missing. Didn't take one again til 2008 CL final

That's the one I think. He has been good in the last few years, and obviously he scored the winner in Moscow and has taken a few since then and done well. But given a choice I don't think he should be put in the 5 first names, like wasn't in the 5 at Moscow!

Which season was it he scored against Wigan in the last game of the season? Wasn't that 07/08 as well? He missed one and scored two in the 90s from what I can remember of just watching those season reviews.

That said the one thing I'd not considered is his left-footedness. Southall knows exactly where he's going before he's even stepped up. Damn, threw that one away.

I'm not convinced on Cruyff as #1, if he had that much bottle he'd be slotting away the peno in '74 himself! If it helps I'd be more than comfortable with slotting Falcao in there instead of Spencer, I actually had a quick check myself to see if he took part in any penalty shootouts in the Copa Libertadores but alas no. I just assume a goalscorer of that pedigree could slot it away from the spot. Are there many top-class poachers that were a bit rubbish from the spot? I'm sure there were a few.

Rooney? Not sure if he fits what you meant by 'top class poacher' though.

One miss doesn't make you 'terrible' IMO.

Which season was it he scored against Wigan in the last game of the season? Wasn't that 07/08 as well? He missed one and scored two in the 90s from what I can remember of just watching those season reviews.

That said the one thing I'd not considered is his left-footedness. Southall knows exactly where he's going before he's even stepped up. Damn, threw that one away.

That wasn't a penalty. Ronaldo scored the first with the penalty and Giggsy scored the second from open play.

In any case I don't think he is an ideal penalty taker and I am sure you can find someone better in your team and promote him to the first 5.

Yes. :drool: What a year that was!

EDIT: wasn't a penalty though if that's what you're saying..

I was sure he took a crucial title-winning penalty!

Sir Alex on Giggsy this season, back in November:

"I think Giggs is probably the best penalty-taker. I can't ever remember him missing since he had one saved against Southampton in the FA Cup in 1992"

"I think Giggs is probably the best penalty-taker. I can't ever remember him missing since he had one saved against Southampton in the FA Cup in 1992"

:lol: Well Sir Alex, that's because you never assigned him to take one for a decade or so.

I'm confused as to how Brwned suddenly has 26 votes. Is there not an explanation?!

Giggs has a terrific penalty shoot-out record. He missed one as a youngster in the cup when he was juggling the ball up to the spot, but he wasn't a regular taker and didn't need to be (Cantona, Irwin, RvN, Ronaldo). In recent years he's taken some really high pressure kicks and scored them all.

Balu's vote must hav sneaked in after it ended

No, I voted hours before I wrote that post, back when Brwned was 4 votes behind. No idea, what happened.

Dr Dwayne is an admin. Admin's can edit polls. Dwayne edited his expert opinion into the poll. Simple!

I'm confused as to how Brwned suddenly has 26 votes. Is there not an explanation?!

Giggs has a terrific penalty shoot-out record. He missed one as a youngster in the cup when he was juggling the ball up to the spot, but he wasn't a regular taker and didn't need to be (Cantona, Irwin, RvN, Ronaldo). In recent years he's taken some really high pressure kicks and scored them all.

I'll see if I can dig out the documentary from my hard drive and upload the clip where he says he never had confidence in taking penalties and Sir Alex didn't have any confidence in him. Of course that was shot a few years back before he started taking penalties again.

The explanation is that as an admin I can vote at anytime, even after a poll has closed.

Sorry for the confusion.

He took two at home to Spurs, late in the 09/10 season. We were drawing or losing and he needed to net both to get 3 points and keep the race on. He did but we lost the title.

The one in Moscow and he took one too in the League cup final against Tottenham in 2009 (and scored).

I could only dream of having that kind of power

How Brwned squeezed through this I'll never know. Looked dead and buried at one point.