A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
United - Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park at the club. Wouldn't be an automatic 1st teamer. Giggs close to retirement, question marks around Valencias fitness/ability after a horrific injury.

Arsenal - Nasri, Walcott, Ramsey. Ramseys young and inexperienced, Young could easily overtake Walcott on the right.

City - Don't have room in the squad. Won't go there.

Chelsea - Replacement for SWP? They could do with another winger, although that could mean changing their formation/tactics?

Liverpool - Ideal player for Liverpool, but would Young go there?

Spurs - They have Lennon and Bale, both whom are better than Young. They need to strengthen in defense and upfront. So probably a miss there.

For Young, if he wants first team football goto Arsenal. If he wants less games, but more chance of winning trophies, then its either United or Chelsea. Think we can rule the other 3 out tbh.

[Edit] I suppose if Spurs get a stupid bid for Bale and accept, then Young would be an ideal replacement for Bale. So perhaps that may bring Spurs back in...

RedRover

United - Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park at the club. Wouldn't be an automatic 1st teamer. Giggs close to retirement, question marks around Valencias fitness/ability after a horrific injury.
Arsenal - Nasri, Walcott, Ramsey. Ramseys young and inexperienced, Young could easily overtake Walcott on the right.

City - Don't have room in the squad. Won't go there.

Chelsea - Replacement for SWP? They could do with another winger, although that could mean changing their formation/tactics?

Liverpool - Ideal player for Liverpool, but would Young go there?

Spurs - They have Lennon and Bale, both whom are better than Young. They need to strengthen in defense and upfront. So probably a miss there.

For Young, if he wants first team football goto Arsenal. If he wants less games, but more chance of winning trophies, then its either United or Chelsea. Think we can rule the other 3 out tbh.

[Edit] I suppose if Spurs get a stupid bid for Bale and accept, then Young would be an ideal replacement for Bale. So perhaps that may bring Spurs back in...
Given the doubts about Valencia, Giggs playing central and Park not really being a winger I'd say he'd have more than a good shout of playing regular football.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Very good player who would be an excellent addition to the squad. His delivery is one of the best in the prem.

Redrage

But he has his off days quite regularly and thats where the problem lies.

davisjw

But he has his off days quite regularly and thats where the problem lies.
We've taken inconsistent performers before - Valencia wasn't having great games every time for Wigan. And it goes down to the team - Villa just aren't getting out of second gear this season. You can't be a support player and be effective if the players around you aren't willing to benefit from you.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think he's had a bit of over the top harsh criticism from some on here (myself included). He'd be a very good signing for the club and whilst he might not set the world alight it's another very good option for either wing or even through the middle as he's showing this season at Villa.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him but I would be a little bewildered if we spunked our budget on him and he was the only major signing in the Summer.

finneh

He'd be a great squad player to have around, works pretty hard and has a good cross on him. Can even play behind the striker pretty effectively.

The question is do we need to improve our squad or our first XI, he would definitely do the former, the latter I'm unsure of.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How many times have you watched Sanchez play?

Can Sanchez play on the left?

We already have 2 fantastic right wingers, too many cooks.
This is the difference between Young and Sanchez, if you buy Young then yes you have the argument of too many cooks because IMO he wouldn't get in ahead of Nani and Valencia. Sanchez on the other hand looks to be something very special and if he's better than what we have at the moment then he'll get in the team

Carl

How many times have you watched Sanchez play?

Can Sanchez play on the left?

We already have 2 fantastic right wingers, too many cooks.
Sanchez has genuine World Class talent though. I think we'll end up kicking ourselves if we don't pick him up while we have the chance.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... I suppose if Spurs get a stupid bid for Bale and accept, then Young would be an ideal replacement for Bale. So perhaps that may bring Spurs back in...
Or perhaps if Bale is switched to LB, which Harry keeps saying he will eventually do, thus freeing up the wide LM slot.

But actually I'm not all that impressed with Young - he's quite inconistent, though can also be very good.

I'd say 'yes' to a bargain price considering he's got little time left on his contract - maybe 12m tops - but otherwise not.

Ferguson

I dunno. I've seen Ashley Young disappear in too many matches.

He is good for a midtable club, or Liverpool, but not us.

"Proven in the Premiership"? Proven to be good, but not good enough.

He can't even get into the England team on a regular basis, why would he be good enough for United?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He'd be a great squad player to have around, works pretty hard and has a good cross on him. Can even play behind the striker pretty effectively.

The question is do we need to improve our squad or our first XI, he would definitely do the former, the latter I'm unsure of.
Very good summary, this is how i feel about this player as well. lets see what happens

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I dunno. I've seen Ashley Young disappear in too many matches.

He is good for a midtable club, or Liverpool, but not us.

"Proven in the Premiership"? Proven to be good, but not good enough.

He can't even get into the England team on a regular basis, why would he be good enough for United?
All these thing were said about Carrick before he joined us.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Has no relevance. Some players are over-hyped others are not. Carrick isn't exactly a world class player. In fact, he's been rather crap since Ronaldo departed exposing how average he actually is.
Yes but that it clearly due to loss of form and not a lack of class when on form and even then we got 3 seasons top class seasons out of a player we bought at 26 during which time he won almost every honour possible for a domestic footballer.

To say he is average is clearly silly or at the very least bending the meaning of the term average. He was an intergral part of a side that won 3 Premierships, hardly what you would expect an average footballer to be doing. His decline in form is something only he can answer but it certainly is not due to a lack of ability.

Also to start then start saying he isn't world class is actually irrelevant as nobody said either him or Ashley Young are, they are simply very good players when on top form and Young just like Carrick would be a very inportant part of the squad. I would hope that he could maintain top form for longer than Carrick but he deserves the chance to show whether that is possible.

AttackingFlair

Or perhaps if Bale is switched to LB, which Harry keeps saying he will eventually do, thus freeing up the wide LM slot.

But actually I'm not all that impressed with Young - he's quite inconistent, though can also be very good.

I'd say 'yes' to a bargain price considering he's got little time left on his contract - maybe 12m tops - but otherwise not.
I hope you get Young and put Bale at left back, would weaken your team. I hope we don't sign Young either. Average player.

mswiss

Yes but that it clearly due to loss of form and not a lack of class when on form and even then we got 3 seasons top class seasons out of a player we bought at 26 during which time he won almost every honour possible for a domestic footballer.

To say he is average is clearly silly or at the very least bending the meaning of the term average. He was an intergral part of a side that won 3 Premierships, hardly what you would expect an average footballer to be doing. His decline in form is something only he can answer but it certainly is not due to a lack of ability.

Also to start then start saying he isn't world class is actually irrelevant as nobody said either him or Ashley Young are, they are simply very good players when on top form and Young just like Carrick would be a very inportant part of the squad. I would hope that he could maintain top form for longer than Carrick but he deserves the chance to show whether that is possible.

When we had Ronaldo and Tevez we had much more fluidity about our attack, They could change their positions very well, much more then our current strikers do. We also played a different system then we do now.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
When we had Ronaldo and Tevez we had much more fluidity about our attack, They could change their positions very well, much more then our current strikers do. We also played a different system then we do now.
Yes but its not just through balls and crossfield passes that Carrick currently has problems with, its also simple basic passes to other players less than a couple of yards away from him so clearly its a loss of form more than a change of personel that is currently effecting him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
They are more liekly to bench the brainless Lennon and have Young and Bale patrolling both flanks.
It was in part thanks to the "brainless" Lennon that we are now in the CL QFs courtesy of our 1 - 0 win away to AC Milan. He was the main creator for Crouch's goal.

There is zero chance of Young displacing Lennon. Just as there is zero chance of Harry not picking Lennon to play for every game when fit. But perhaps Harry is thus also "brainless" in your view?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It was in part thanks to the "brainless" Lennon that we are now in the CL QFs courtesy of our 1 - 0 win away to AC Milan. He was the main creator for Crouch's goal.
So? He is still a brainless player. Creating 1 goal means feck all. He could create a lot more if he had football brain.

There is zero chance of Young displacing Lennon. Just as there is zero chance of Harry not picking Lennon to play for every game when fit. But perhaps Harry is thus also "brainless" in your view?
:lol: Typical:lol: Redknapp doesn't have Young in his team does he? You seem to be making an argument as if he does.

I'm sure if he did Lennon wouldn't start ahead of him. I have no doubt about that whatsoever. There is little doubt who the superior player is.
But as usual in your mind there are no players out there capable of benching those in your current first 11:wenger:

AttackingFlair

To be honest, I'm not sure if Young has a brain either. Whenever he's on the left all he does is cut in and deliver an aimless cross. At a top team you need more invention, look at the difference between Nani and Ashley Young, it's staggering. If we were looking for a left winger, I'd rather we had a look at someone like Mata.

Carl

I'm with Glaston. Harry has made it clear that he sees Bale as a full back in the long term so should they sign Young (which I don't think they will btw) then I'd expect Bale to be shifted back and Young to play from the left with Lennon on the right.

Harry clearly rates Lennon highly and he's very effective for them.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So? He is still a brainless player. Creating 1 goal means feck all. He could create a lot more if he had football brain.

:lol: Typical:lol: Redknapp doesn't have Young in his team does he? You seem to be making an argument as if he does.

I'm sure if he did Lennon wouldn't start ahead of him. I have no doubt about that whatsoever. There is little doubt who the superior player is.
But as usual in your mind there are no players out there capable of benching those in your current first 11:wenger:
I really do have to wonder how often you see Lennon play - he one of the main attacking threats for Spurs as well as putting a fair amount of tracking back to give defensive cover. His general play is far from brainless.

There are many players who could improve the Spurs first XI (especially in the striker department), but Young is not one of them, although he would provide improved squad options/cover.

A midfield 5 of Sandro (or Huddlestone), Lennon, Bale, Modric and VdV is very strong: it's hardly outrageous to suggest that Young would struggle to find a place there unless Bale was shifted to LB.

I'm with Glaston. Harry has made it clear that he sees Bale as a full back in the long term so should they sign Young (which I don't think they will btw) then I'd expect Bale to be shifted back and Young to play from the left with Lennon on the right.
Bale has already proven too good as a winger to be sent back to left back. Especially to a left back role in which Akoutou has turned into one of the best in the league.

Harry clearly rates Lennon highly and he's very effective for them.
Harry doesn't start often players he doesn't rate. He rates Young highly too. He just has ever had to choose between the two.

That is likely to happen if he ever signs Young.

Carl

Bale has already proven too good as a winger to be sent back to left back. Especially to a left back role in which Akoutou has turned into one of the best in the league.
I'm not sure that Harry is really convinced by Assou-Ekotto. He's prone to the odd brain fart and Harry has used Bale there alreasy this season.

Oh and "Akoutou"? :lol:

I really do have to wonder how often you see Lennon play - he one of the main attacking threats for Spurs as well as putting a fair amount of tracking back to give defensive cover. His general play is far from brainless..
I've seen him play reguarly enough since his Leeds days. Lennon is no where near as good as you often claim. Even though he is highly effective for you. The day Redknapp signs a better right winger than him, which will most certainly happen as your team progresses. You will get to see it very clearly.

There are many players who could improve the Spurs first XI (especially in the striker department), but Young is not one of them, although he would provide improved squad options/cover.
You are really only saying that now because he doesn't play for you. If he did we wouldn't here the end of how he is one of the best wingers around.

Young is a far better player than many on here and you care to admit.

A midfield 5 of Sandro (or Huddlestone), Lennon, Bale, Modric and VdV is very strong: it's hardly outrageous to suggest that Young would struggle to find a place there unless Bale was shifted to LB.
It's outrageous simply because Young is better than Lennon and is also a winger.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He definitely has one. Have a look at his assists statistics as compared to Lennon. It's really no contest who the more inventive player is.
At Spurs the attacking threats - and assists - are spread across a wider range of players than at Villa - e.g. Crouch, VdV, Bale and Lennon etc. And that's partly because Lennon's threat creates spaces and gaps for others.

I don't want to get caught up in a more narrow argument as to which player is the more inventive, because there are many aspects to the game of attacking football beyond this.

I'm simply saying that taking all factors into account - pace, dribbling skills, acceleration, character, work ethic, inventiveness etc etc - there is no way that Harry would consider signing Young as a replacement for Lennon.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Well, in that case nor he is anywhere near as poor and brainless as you often claim.
:rolleyes:

So he's brainless and (as you've said in the past) a poor player, yet highly effective?

Confused.com
Yeah right. They are so many effective players who are not very brainy when it comes to football. Go watch Stoke play for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.