A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackingFlair

Average winger, would rather Cleverley was given a chance unless we went for someone better.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He'd be an excellent addition to the squad regardless of whether cleverley comes through as he would add great competition for places. I'm not saying he is first team material but he could come in a do a good job on either flank for us on ocasions and could play just off the striker when required to for tactical reasons.

In short he is a much better player than some on here give him credit for.

Devil may care

TBF Nani wouldn't just be shoved over there. Like yesterday and vs Bayern. He has shown he can be utterly devastating on the left wing.
His talent level allows him to shine on both but he is more natural on the right, I just don't see a good reason to mess with his position after he has had such an amazing season in a position Fergie has said he prefers.

Next season Giggs will be too old for that flank and Park is frankly miles better on the right. Cleverly is certainly the most likely candidate to take up Giggs left wing role next season. But I don't think it would be awful to have young there if SA sees Cleverley's future else where in the side.
I wouldn't write off Giggs still putting in shifts on the left for us next season, he has been excellent when called upon this season and shown no real signs of slowing down. Park is versatile but he has played more for us on the left and was excellent there this season before the Asian cup.

I saw you mention Sanchez in your other post Chief and if we were brining in a guy of that talent who has shown big progression this season and is still only 22 I'd say go for it, but for a player as ordinary as Young I'd prefer we stick with our current crop as in truth the only reason it has been an issue this season is Park heading off to the Asian cup and then getting hurt, and the freak injury to Valencia.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Great pace, energy and premiership experience. Would provide very good service for many years. I've heard Scousers will also be in the market for him in the summer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
His talent level allows him to shine on both but he is more natural on the right, I just don't see a good reason to mess with his position after he has had such an amazing season in a position Fergie has said he prefers.
Yes. But one cannot forget we didn't by Valencia to suddenly consigning him to the bench after the brilliant first season he had. Not forgetting that SAF has said for ages Nani was purchased to replace Giggs.

IMO eventually Nani is going to be equally as devastating on both flanks. If that Bayern games was anything to go buy.

I wouldn't write off Giggs still putting in shifts on the left for us next season, he has been excellent when called upon this season and shown no real signs of slowing down.
But Giggs has only done so because we have lacked the depth in quality on the flanks. Which as in turn robbed us of the chance to use Giggs as a central playmaker.

I will really be surprised if SAF keeps passing the opportunity to use Giggs in the middle next season. Because with even just a Cleverly back. We would finally have 4 wingers capable of doing the wing job for us next season, without having to use Giggs there.

Park is versatile but he has played more for us on the left and was excellent there this season before the Asian cup.
Yes he has. But he is much better on the right.

I saw you mention Sanchez in your other post Chief and if we were brining in a guy of that talent who has shown big progression this season and is still only 22 I'd say go for it, but for a player as ordinary as Young I'd prefer we stick with our current crop as in truth the only reason it has been an issue this season is Park heading off to the Asian cup and then getting hurt, and the freak injury to Valencia.
But what happened to our wingers was kinda to be expected. I mean, I don't think it's wise for a team that relies on wingers like we do to have only 3 proven ones and a veteran going against the grain.

With 2 overly raw youngsters in reserve.

Next season we either have to give Cleverley a chance there. Or bring in someone. & for me only Sanchez & Young are worth going for.

AttackingFlair

If we're going to spend £20m or more on a left winger, we should be looking at someone like Mata, in my opinion.

Salvation

Damnation
He has a better end product than any of United's current wingers, bar Giggs. You can see forwards especially thriving with his deliveries in open play and set pieces.
He'd be excellent competition and cover for Valencia, Park and Nani.
Great pace, energy and premiership experience. Would provide very good service for many years. I've heard Scousers will also be in the market for him in the summer.
Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
True. For me I see him as a more versatile verison of Valencia. He'd not be a bad addition to our ranks at all.
You seem confused about him, Rubberman. What is your holistic view on him?

yamo123x

Few things

Young- is improving, He was villa's best player in both games against us this season, he is now a plausible canddidate to start for england, he can deliver setpeices, is quick and direct and given his contract sitaution could be at the right price. I think we should go for for him. He would score more goals and assists for us than villa, just like valencia did when he joined from wigan.

Quite a few of you write off young and mention cleverly, young tom is not ready yet, he needs games in the prem league- a la gibson,a few here and there, he is not yet ready to be thrust into first team action. Anyway he is more of an attacking mid and not a winger. Id rather see him get a full of season on loan at a premier league club like welbeck.

Young for me would be a great signing, i really hope we go for him cos the dippers will for sure.

Devil may care

Yes. But one cannot forget we didn't by Valencia to suddenly consigning him to the bench after the brilliant first season he had. Not forgetting that SAF has said for ages Nani was purchased to replace Giggs.

IMO eventually Nani is going to be equally as devastating on both flanks. If that Bayern games was anything to go buy.
By the same token though we wouldn't be buying Young or Sanchez for the bench and neither would come to be squad men, so what we'd be looking at is good old competition and right now Nani has the right locked down, it's up to the rest to stake a claim.

But Giggs has only done so because we have lacked the depth in quality on the flanks. Which as in turn robbed us of the chance to use Giggs as a central playmaker.

I will really be surprised if SAF keeps passing the opportunity to use Giggs in the middle next season. Because with even just a Cleverly back. We would finally have 4 wingers capable of doing the wing job for us next season, without having to use Giggs there.
Possibly, I think there have been some great displays from Giggs on the left in the last two seasons, so while in 4-3-3 I think Fergie may have used Giggs centrally had we had other fit wingers, in 4-4-2 he's still a viable option on the left, it's not an either/or situation.

Yes he has. But he is much better on the right.
Was that where he played at PSV?

But what happened to our wingers was kinda to be expected. I mean, I don't think it's wise for a team that relies on wingers like we do to have only 3 proven ones and a veteran going against the grain.

With 2 overly raw youngsters in reserve.

Next season we either have to give Cleverley a chance there. Or bring in someone. & for me only Sanchez & Young are worth going for.
I agree with you in general, although I think we were very unlucky with the way things have gone. For me if we don't go for Sanchez I'd rather try Cleverley over buying Young.

You seem confused about him, Rubberman. What is your holistic view on him?
I'm certainly not confused about him at all. I just know for a fact he isn't better than Nani like you think he is. That is what my many heads of laughter were for. I rate Young the same way I rate Valencia. He is a very good winger and a good player.

By the same token though we wouldn't be buying Young or Sanchez for the bench and neither would come to be squad men,
Ashley Young we would definitely be buying for the because he isn't superior to our 2 best wingers.

Sanchez in comparison is only inferior to Nani as a winger in our ranks.

so what we'd be looking at is good old competition and right now Nani has the right locked down, it's up to the rest to stake a claim.
We can't honestly say Nani has that place locked down. Because firstly he hasn't had a fit and in form Valencia to contend with since he found his true self, and second, SAF has always viewed him as Giggs' replacement.

Possibly, I think there have been some great displays from Giggs on the left in the last two seasons, so while in 4-3-3 I think Fergie may have used Giggs centrally had we had other fit wingers, in 4-4-2 he's still a viable option on the left, it's not an either/or situation.
If all our wingers had been fit, this season we'd not have all been moaning about lacking a consistent central playmaker apart form Scholes. Because Giggs would have been doing that for us. When you think of his outstanding performances out wide since last season, just think how much more devastating he'd be down the middle. For my money I can't see SAF missing that opportunity again next season. With Giggs still being this good.

Was that where he played at PSV?
Yes.

I agree with you in general, although I think we were very unlucky with the way things have gone. For me if we don't go for Sanchez I'd rather try Cleverley over buying Young.
Fair enough.

Amir

I rate Young, and if Giggs was retiring it would have been an easy choice for me. But we've still got Nani, Giggs, Valencia and Park, which would also be good ground to allow Cleverley to progress without too much pressure, hopefully Obertan or Bebe as well. If we sign a good attacking midfielder, thus limiting Ryan's appearances in the center, do we really need another top winger (in name at least, for those who don't rate him) such as Young?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have mixed feelings about bringing in a new winger. Its true that Nani is more comfortable on the right, that Park/Valencia are valuable players but that do not ooze creativity in the same way Nani/Giggs do (which explain why we keep on insisting on 38 yr old Giggsie) and that Bebe/Obertan are a bit mehh. On the other hand one must not forget about Cleverley whose been doing fairly well away from home. Bringing in another winger may ruin his career with us.

Anyway top priority should be given to CM and GK departments. Those are the positions that needs most strengthening.

Alex

He'd be a good signing, along the lines he is a good player, but he isnt exactly what United need to any degree. United must look to strengthen central midfield with dynamic players however if they do that, signing a player like Young for more strength on the wings would always be a good idea, also I like players like he Nani, and Valencia that can play as a forward in a 4-3-3 which United tend to bust out a lot against better opposition.

devilish

He'd be a good signing, along the lines he is a good player, but he isnt exactly what United need to any degree. United must look to strengthen central midfield with dynamic players however if they do that, signing a player like Young for more strength on the wings would always be a good idea, also I like players like he Nani, and Valencia that can play as a forward in a 4-3-3 which United tend to bust out a lot against better opposition.
If we sign Young then I wouldnt be surprised if we don't sign any CM next year. SAF may believe that Giggs, Cleverley, Scholes (if he signs), Gibson, Anderson, Carrick and Fletch would provide enough quality for next season's campaign.

Alex

I agree with the Chief, and sure as feck hope he is correct

devilish

Signing a Young would have no bearing on us signing a CM what so ever.
Im not saying Young = no CM. Im saying that if SAF gets Young then I won't be surprised if we don't get any other reinforcements in midfield. Think about it chief. We would have

Anderson : signed new contract
Carrick : signed new contract
Fletcher: signed new contract
Scholes: (I think' he'll sign)
Gibson

+ Cleverley and Giggs can also play there. Not to forget that SAF can start relying on Pogba next year.

Im saying that if SAF gets Young then I won't be surprised if we don't get any other reinforcements in midfield.
My point still stands

Think about it chief. We would have

Anderson : signed new contract
Carrick : signed new contract
Fletcher: signed new contract
Scholes: (I think' he'll sign)
Gibson

+ Cleverley and Giggs can also play there. Not to forget that SAF can start relying on Pogba next year.
1. There is no guarantee Scholes will sign. Even if he does, that wont stop us getting in his replacement. Anderson the only other player who can operate as a creative playmaker keeps getting injured plus lacks the required experience to do the job full time right now. There is simply no way after a season like this one has been that SAF won't strengthen his midfield.

2. If we sign a Young, I cannot see us keeping both Gibson and Cleverly on our books. One will definitely leave.

3. It's too early for anyone to start thinking the likes of Pogba and Tunnicliffe will be getting first team duty.

Mainoldo

My point still stands

1. There is no guarantee Scholes will sign. Even if he does, that wont stop us getting in his replacement. Anderson the only other player who can operate as a creative playmaker keeps getting injured plus lacks the required experience to do the job full time right now. There is simply no way after a season like this one has been that SAF won't strengthen his midfield.

2. If we sign a Young, I cannot see us keeping both Gibson and Cleverly on our books. One will definitely leave.

3. It's too early for anyone to start thinking the likes of Pogba and Tunnicliffe will be getting first team duty.
Well agreed, especially the last bit... People like to bring up players that have limited 1st team experience as an excuse not to sign players in the that position and i never no why.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
Id be delighted if he comes here. Can play left or right, has really come on lately and is pretty much carrying Villa this year. He's also given United a few rapings and Fergie loves a player who's done it against us.

wr8_utd

:'(
He would be a very good signing indeed. However if Valencia gets back to his best and with Nani and Park here how much will he play?

davisjw

He would be a very good signing indeed. However if Valencia gets back to his best and with Nani and Park here how much will he play?
He'll play as much as he deserves to. When he's on top form, I think he's on par with Valencia and who knows how he'll come back.

Plus, he can also be the attacking player in a 5 man midfield. He's versatile and fast with a good deadball ability.

Devils Advocate

Id be delighted if he comes here. Can play left or right, has really come on lately and is pretty much carrying Villa this year. He's also given United a few rapings and Fergie loves a player who's done it against us.
twice in one day?! what the hell is going on!

lysglimt

Scout
And it would be nice to have a player who can hit a corner or a freekick

Status
Not open for further replies.