A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I wouldn't write off Giggs still putting in shifts on the left for us next season, he has been excellent when called upon this season and shown no real signs of slowing down. Park is versatile but he has played more for us on the left and was excellent there this season before the Asian cup.
This is true but Giggs tends to drift in centrally so much now that he's probably better off playing strictly in midfield or off a center forward.

Ole'sbodyguard

I rate Young but he's not quite good enough for United IMO.

If we signed him, it would be because he is bargain basement with his contract running down rather than because he is a player we have targetted as our next wide player. I know sometimes pragmatic compromise have to be taken but I'd prefer us to wait and sign someone with more quality.

If we did sign him though I'd give him all of our set pieces from corners to free kicks straightaway. An area we are sadly lacking any proven quality.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I rate Young but he's not quite good enough for United IMO.

If we signed him, it would be because he is bargain basement with his contract running down rather than because he is a player we have targetted as our next wide player. I know sometimes pragmatic compromise have to be taken but I'd prefer us to wait and sign someone with more quality.

If we did sign him though I'd give him all of our set pieces from corners to free kicks straightaway. An area we are sadly lacking any proven quality.
I've said all along that I think h would e a good signing. In Valencia and Nani we have two wingers we can trust, and whom are up there with the very best in football (in terms of actual wingers, imo). We don't need a superstar winger, we just need a good quality one that will add to the squad and non detract from the quality of the first team when played - Young fits the bill perfectly imo, and could cover both the left and the right flank - providing cover and competition for both Valencia and Nani.

There are better wingers around, but I think Young would be a good fit for what we need.

Another point, related to bargain basement comments I suppose, is that he would be decent quality at what you could hope would be a decent price given his contract situation and Villa's stated need to reduce their turnover/wage-bill ratio so signing him would still allow us to put money (again, hopefully) into the GK and CM positions which are (again, imo) higher priority areas of concern.

Devil may care

This is true but Giggs tends to drift in centrally so much now that he's probably better off playing strictly in midfield or off a center forward.
The thing is that pretty much describes Young as well, he is right footed so he drifts in a lot and has had his best performances this season playing centrally off the striker.

Devil may care

Young seems very much like the Valencia transfer.

He'd do very well at United.
I just think he's an ordinary player personally, I'd prefer we went for a more special talent if we are adding in a position where we already have options and Cleverley still to come back.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I find it strange that people are saying Young's price will be higher because he's English.

But discounting the fact that his value to us would also be greater for the same reason.

We have to have a minimum of English players in the squad, and no one knows when that number will be increased.

Sam

Good singing for as 'little' as £10 mil. I'd be all for it at that price.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I find it strange that people are saying Young's price will be higher because he's English.

But discounting the fact that his value to us would also be greater for the same reason.

We have to have a minimum of English players in the squad, and no one knows when that number will be increased.
This

Young and Rodwell please this summer.

We need english players, espcially after Neville, Scholes, Owen, Hargreaves and maybe Brown are gone this summer or next summer.
Of course quality is more important than the nationality but we`re still a english club.

fatboy

At a cut price he'd be well worth it. We are very reliant on Valencia and Nani at the moment, Giggs won't be playing many more seasons, Park is not a real winger, and Bebe/Obertan are looking likely to fall short. Another established winger in the squad would be very useful indeed.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think for some they don't really appreciate how much a talented player can stagnate over a small period of time if he is perhaps capable of bigger things but faces the problem of playing in a team where those bigger things become further and further out of reach.

Thats how i would sum up Ashley young's career so far, it was only 3 or so seasons ago people on this forum were talking about him as the ideal replacement for Cristiano. Although i never saw him as that I did see him as a highly promising player who needed to step up to playing at a higher level for his own good, sooner rather than later. Looking at Villa now its easy to see that they have gone backward since his time there, and whilst some may argue so has he I would dispute this and say instead that he has simply stagnated and need a new challenge.

Whether that is at OT remains to be seen.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
At 10 to 15 million, he would be a solid addition to the squad and a maked improvement in the final third over Park, Bebe and Obertan. I think Valencia and Nani are better than him, but I think he would be great back up to the pair of them.

Longsden_7

It's not about who is better, its about improving the team which he would certainly do.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
At 10 million, it would also (hopefully) allow us to spend decent sums on a keeper and a central midfielder, while adding to our wing options.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
That is one of the most muppet-wank-fueled articles I've read in a long time:

OUT: VDS
Scholes (next season)
Carrick
Hargreaves
Maybe Gibson, Evans, Obertan, Bebe

IN: Neuer
Bale
Modric
Henderson
Young
Rodwell
:lol::lol::lol::drool:

There's no quotes, they've basically been reading Redcafe
Precisely!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's fecking good. Better than a lot of people give him credit for.

He's one of the few people you can say 'if he WASN'T English he'd get more praise' about.
I would agree with that. It's clear that Young has stagnated at Aston Villa, for 10 Million he would be absolutely brilliant.

alastair

ignorant
To be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone in the top six wasn't looking to sign him. One year left on his deal, it'd be madness not to consider it.

If we wanted him, he is a Gooner, so that would help our cause.

redspoony

I'd prefer Alexis Sanchez (of course, he's effing amazing) but that's never going to happen.

Young would be a very good signing, plays on both flanks, good delivery both from set pieces and open play, runs at players and scores goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.