A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy if we just signed Neuer, Young and Rodwell this summer. Or just Young and Rodwell providing we could convince Edwin to stay on another year.

I'd say the Serie A does not look any less competitive than, say, La Liga which has about two teams in it.

He has been very good in the world cup and he has been one of the best players in the league he plays in and doing it both with breathtaking flair. He's JUST turned 22 and he's truly breaking through not unlike Ronaldo did at that age, albeit in a lesser league but that's partially negated because he's also playing in a lesser team at both international and club level.

How could he do any more than that? If he isn't a world class TALENT/POTENTIAL, then wtf is?

I can't see how relevant "how competative" a league is - there are plenty of leagues around the world with only two or three top teams - I'm simply stating that in terms of quality (in my opinion) Serie A is lagging behind Spain, England and Germany - hence why their teams are strugglin in Europe.

People love to throw around this phrase of "world class" without giving it any meaning. He was very good in the world cup, along with at least 20 or 30other players.

He seems to be performing well for his club and country and fair play to him - no guarantee that he'd come to the PL and be a star. Given that he'd probably cost upwards of £30 million (due to interest from moneybags City and Chelsea), and United currently being in need of probably at least 3 players he'd be a huge risk.

Someone like Young, tried and tested in the PL and with the potential to kick on in a better team is an attractive option at probably a third of the price.

Don't know what Kevin and Red Rover are going on about, but Sanchez is clearly a good player and has world class potential... He isn't a world class player yet but Udinese isn't the best of teams and if he made a step up, he could turn into a great player.

With Young, I rate Sanchez more even though Young is 25, Sanchez clearly has more pace and penetration. Young is however proven in the PL but if you're gonna rate the better player.. It has to be Sanchez, no debate on that.

The difference is that Lennon would walk into the Stoke first XI - but no Stoke players would walk into the Spurs first XI..
Totally besides the point of course. But you are very good at missing the point aren't you....

But then again, you probably can't see that because you are fixed in your blinkered view of Lennon.
The only blinkered person in here is you mate. Seriously. You are the one who tried to turn proof that brianless players can be highly effective for their teams into a comparison between Stoke and Spurs players:lol:

Further proof that you see everything through special Spurs tinted glasses.

One goal that was crucial to our reaching the CL QFs.
Or if that's not good enough for you
Good enough for me? Are you serious ?

Read this again slowly:

Most of the time he makes good crosses (and pullbacks), pulls defences this way and that, causes gaps and space to appear, generally terrorises defenders and poses a considerable counter-attackking threat (as AC Milan discovered to their cost).

Does that describe better what Bale did to Inter home and away, or what Lennon did to Milan?|

Maybe you will finally get what I laughed at. But I'll be surprised if you do.

, how about his two assists in the earlier win over Werder Bremen?
2 assists over 2 legs doesn't account for that statement above what O'm replying to either.

The only thing that does is gross hyperbole. Something you are very good at when it comes to Spurs and our golden boy Lennon.

I haven't forgotten yet you claiming we'd need 2 players plus to stop him:wenger:

PS. Try asking Evra if he see Lennon as "poor and brainless".
I don't need to. He finally learned it and dealt with him accordingly. In case you haven't noticed, Lennon hasn't given him trouble in a while.

Since when did you become an expert?
Since supporting for over 20 years a 2 teams that use world class wingers.

How many have Spurs had in that time?

At least the Spurs fans have the advantage of seeing him play a lot more than you have.
They have no such advantage. I've watched Lennon regular enough to know the ins and out of him as a player. I bet you only started to care about his existence when he signed for your club.

If you think Young is so great, then presumably you'll be over the moon if Fergie signs him. If you're happy then I'm happy .... and I wouldn't be bothered at all to see Young sign for your lot.
Yea. The same way you ''weren't bothered' about us bagging Nani before you. Or when we signed Valenicia. I mean, Spurs has all the super stars doesn't ? United couldn't possible find a better British based player outside the Spurs ranks. It's unheard of.

As for Spurs, if he was signed he'd be coming simply as squad competition/cover unless Bale was shifted to LB.
:lol:

It's as plain as day that Harry rates Lennon. You can't see that? OK,whatever.
Wrong as usual. I've already said Harry doesn't start players he doesn't rate.

But being a firm beleiver in squad rotation and strong competition he doesn't mind buying upgrades either.:p

People love to throw around this phrase of "world class" without giving it any meaning. He was very good in the world cup, along with at least 20 or 30other players.

What part of talent or potential do you not understand? There was a quote from Ferguson in which he stated this guy could reach Ronaldo level.

Noone is saying he's already a world class player. I'd love to go on about your other points, but you've clearly made your mind up (and prefer an english 'proven' player who could 'do a job' for the 'squad') and this isn't the Sanchez thread so go on.

In 2-3 years we'll see who is the better player.

Don't know what Kevin and Red Rover are going on about, but Sanchez is clearly a good player and has world class potential... He isn't a world class player yet but Udinese isn't the best of teams and if he made a step up, he could turn into a great player.

With Young, I rate Sanchez more even though Young is 25, Sanchez clearly has more pace and penetration. Young is however proven in the PL but if you're gonna rate the better player.. It has to be Sanchez, no debate on that.

Agreed.

What part of talent or potential do you not understand? There was a quote from Ferguson in which he stated this guy could reach Ronaldo level.

Noone is saying he's already a world class player. I'd love to go on about your other points, but you've clearly made your mind up (and prefer an english 'proven' player who could 'do a job' for the 'squad') and this isn't the Sanchez thread so go on.

In 2-3 years we'll see who is the better player.

Agreed.

I don't recall that. I find it unlikely that Fergie would make comments like that about a player playing in another league, potential transfer target or not. Sounds more like media stretching a point, but you may very well be right.

I've not made any mind up - I'm just stating the obvious. Clearly United don't have unlimited transfer funds, and are in need of a few players in time for next season - specifically in the middle.

As I said, I was impressed by Sanchez in the world cup, and if money was no object and United could bring in players for £30 million without the worry of them being a success, then I'd be all for it as he's clearly a big talent with the potential to be a very good player.

I'm simply voicing an opinion that with limited funds and other areas of the squad to strengthen, a player like Young, a PL regular and with potential to move to the next level, with only a year left on his contract is better value, because like it or not, plenty of players might look the part and then don't fulfill their potential, whatever the reason - and you could just as easily end up with a Balotelli rather than a Ronaldo.

If £30 million plus was to be spent on a single player I'd say that we were in need of a truly top class and experienced central midfiled player first and foremost.

I don't recall that. I find it unlikely that Fergie would make comments like that about a player playing in another league, potential transfer target or not. Sounds more like media stretching a point, but you may very well be right.

I've not made any mind up - I'm just stating the obvious. Clearly United don't have unlimited transfer funds, and are in need of a few players in time for next season - specifically in the middle.

As I said, I was impressed by Sanchez in the world cup, and if money was no object and United could bring in players for £30 million without the worry of them being a success, then I'd be all for it as he's clearly a big talent with the potential to be a very good player.

I'm simply voicing an opinion that with limited funds and other areas of the squad to strengthen, a player like Young, a PL regular and with potential to move to the next level, with only a year left on his contract is better value, because like it or not, plenty of players might look the part and then don't fulfill their potential, whatever the reason - and you could just as easily end up with a Balotelli rather than a Ronaldo.

If £30 million plus was to be spent on a single player I'd say that we were in need of a truly top class and experienced central midfiled player first and foremost.

Your point isn't wrong RedRover, the thing is you haven't been watching him consistently enough this season to say that he doesn't have the potential to be something big.

If we're going financial wise, risk wise and all the other aspects you could be well right, but if we're talking football and if we were really United, we will go for the better player imo.

He's even better than Rooney, we got Rooney for 30m how many seasons ago ???

Sanchez could well be that type of transfer with the ability he's got, also I do recall SAF saying something about Sanchez earlier this season but I doubt it was true as usually he doesn't talk about his potential buy.

The thing is, I don't think the 30m would be the price for Sanchez though, he will cost around a Silva, 24-25m at max as Udinese aren't going to be in the CL and he probably acknowledged that it is time for his big move as Udinese is starting to get too small for him.

Young wouldn't be bad but as a fan, you'd rather see the better player at our squad.

Liverpool are also interested in Young and I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea were as well, plus he's English, I think £10M is a pipe dream price based off the notion that no one else will be interested and I have to question how highly rated he is if no one but us is looking.

The Sanchez hype is insane.

Rooney at 18, So Sanchez at 21 - 22 has more potential with his dribbling and strength... Just watch him as often as you watch Rooney. Thats just my opinion though...

Whether he's hyped or not, his consistency this season has proved a lot, not to mention the scoreboard which his name is often there.

Rooney at 18, So Sanchez at 21 - 22 has more potential with his dribbling and strength... Just watch him as often as you watch Rooney. Thats just my opinion though...

Whether he's hyped or not, his consistency this season has proved a lot, not to mention the scoreboard which his name is often there.

Is that what you do?

You've watched most of Sanchez's games this season, rather than watched a few youtube videos, watched a couple of games and read the comments on here? You'd be one of the few then, because it's pretty easy to see most commenting on Sanchez have barely seen him this season.

By Christmas he'd scored just 2 goals, and was sporadically impressive. His consistency's come in the last couple of months and unsurprisingly everyone's exaggerating various parts of that.

Your point isn't wrong RedRover, the thing is you haven't been watching him consistently enough this season to say that he doesn't have the potential to be something big.

If we're going financial wise, risk wise and all the other aspects you could be well right, but if we're talking football and if we were really United, we will go for the better player imo.

He's even better than Rooney, we got Rooney for 30m how many seasons ago ???

Sanchez could well be that type of transfer with the ability he's got, also I do recall SAF saying something about Sanchez earlier this season but I doubt it was true as usually he doesn't talk about his potential buy.

The thing is, I don't think the 30m would be the price for Sanchez though, he will cost around a Silva, 24-25m at max as Udinese aren't going to be in the CL and he probably acknowledged that it is time for his big move as Udinese is starting to get too small for him.

Young wouldn't be bad but as a fan, you'd rather see the better player at our squad.

Thats a big call.

Even if you ignore the fact that Wayne Rooney was younger, English and considered the best young player of his generation - United at that time had a great squad and were not in need of two or three players in key positions.

If he's as good as you seem to think then we won't be the only club in for him - so he's likely to fetch a top price. Its already been suggested that City had a £28 million bid rejected in January so how high will it go? Are United going to pay £40 million for a player with "great potential" rather than invest in a top keeper or central midfield player?

As I said I'd rather see big money spent on a central midfielder with real class. For me it doesn't matter how good your wingers are if you can't compete in midfiled, they'll never see the ball and wont have an effect on the game.

As I've said - if money was no object then you want to go for the top young players in all positions, but you need to address areas of weakness and prioritise when you've not got unlimited funds.

Is that what you do?

You've watched most of Sanchez's games this season, rather than watched a few youtube videos, watched a couple of games and read the comments on here? You'd be one of the few then, because it's pretty easy to see most commenting on Sanchez have barely seen him this season.

By Christmas he'd scored just 2 goals, and was sporadically impressive. His consistency's come in the last couple of months and unsurprisingly everyone's exaggerating various parts of that.

Yep, watched him since last season when the hype was just started.

Not every match as usually I don't have enough time, but I do catch all the Serie A highlights and key matches and usually watch Udinese against the big teams.

I've been keeping tabs on two players, Pastore and Sanchez as they've been often linked to us... Something most people who dare post on the transfer forums actually do which you underrate Brwned.

Indeed, comparing him with a talent like Rooney at 18 is quite high, but the thing is, Sanchez has been improving and improving... The only thing that lead to his in consistency at the start of the season is his new role, he has become more of a free role player, and now he's been played mostly behind the striker.

But after he got used to it, there was heaps of improvement, watch the Inter Vs Udinese games, he was the star player and shined.

He's hyped for a reason, a reason which if you watch him enough you will understand...

...Peace... and god bless Japan...

Yep, watched him since last season when the hype was just started.

Not every match as usually I don't have enough time, but I do catch all the Serie A highlights and key matches and usually watch Udinese against the big teams.

I've been keeping tabs on two players, Pastore and Sanchez as they've been often linked to us... Something most people who dare post on the transfer forums actually do which you underrate Brwned.

Indeed, comparing him with a talent like Rooney at 18 is quite high, but the thing is, Sanchez has been improving and improving... The only thing that lead to his in consistency at the start of the season is his new role, he has become more of a free role player, and now he's been played mostly behind the striker.

But after he got used to it, there was heaps of improvement, watch the Inter Vs Udinese games, he was the star player and shined.

He's hyped for a reason, a reason which if you watch him enough you will understand...

...Peace... and god bless Japan...

You think that's the only reason? It's a position he played in before at his club and for his country, and he started off the season playing either position (he was on the wing v Inter first time round, for example, and played there multiple times throughout the first 3 months). He was also dropped for 3 games in a row, because Udinese lost their first four in a row. I'd imagine it was probably quite difficult for him in terms of fitness too with the WC and his explosive style, takes a while to get that sharpness going again. I'd say the position change was a minor reason for his inconsistency, personally. Helpful nonetheless to have him in more attacking positions and strengthen their midfield, mind.

I've no doubt people watch a lot of transfer muppet targets but I'm also very sure a lot of people don't and yet continue to talk about them. Usually a bit of both.

I'd not be surprised if I've seen more of him than you this season but I don't feel I've seen enough of him to talk about his game in any real depth. He's hyped on here because he's linked with us more than most and he's an interesting talent - the talent alone's not enough to fuel this much hype as he's one of many very talented young players.

Well yes, Sanchez was a hit and miss at the start of the season, and certainly played RW vs the Inter game, and I do agree with the overburn after the world cup...

The thing is, you're trying to be a bit to cruel with good talent, I mean, you might not have seen enough... but wasn't that similar to Ronaldo ? We watched a few games and voila, we got him.

I'd say Sanchez had the same type of Aura, he has the ability to change games, has the pace and ability to dribble, not to mention his balance and body strength is amazing for a 21 year old, I doubt CR7 was anywhere near this good when he was 21 as Sanchez has actually been pulling end product since last season.

Again, it comes down to A.Young Vs Sanchez and I'd rather see the latter as I've watched both of them enough to say that I like Sanchez more. Young is also a good player and if SAF were to go for a bargain than Young with a few months left in his contract would probably be the wise and safer option...

But, for everytime, I'd go for that risk in opting a potentially worldclass player...

Is that what you do?

So we must presume you've watched every Sanchez game. :smirk:

Totally besides the point of course. But you are very good at missing the point aren't you....
Err ... it was you who introduced Stoke into this thread by comparing Lennon to some of their players.

.... You are the one who tried to turn proof that brianless players can be highly effective for their teams into a comparison between Stoke and Spurs players
Do you suffer from short-term memory loss? Once again, it was you who dragged Stoke into this discussion in relation to Lennon.

.... The same way you ''weren't bothered' about us bagging Nani before you. Or when we signed Valenicia.
So when I say I don't hugely rate Young, and don't see him replacing Lennon or Bale, I'm telling lies am I?

You so far up your own arse with your opinions that it seems you can't deal with someone rating players differently from you.

PS. If you seriously imagine that I'm unhappy with Bale and Lennon in comparison with Nani and Valencia, then your red-tinted specs need a bit of lens cleaning.

Err ... it was you who introduced Stoke into this thread by comparing Lennon to some of their players..
Wrong again. I introduced Stoke into the thread as proof that players can lack intelligence and be highly effective. You came up with the comparison all on our own.
Do you suffer from short-term memory loss? Once again, it was you who dragged Stoke into this discussion in relation to Lennon.
:lol: You need some serious memory medicine Glaston.
I gave Stoke players as an example of players who aren't intelligent being highly effective. Because you claimed I was 'confused' for calling Lennon brainless and highly effective. I gave Stoke players as an example of such players. Someone else gave Walcott

It is you alone who decided to match them up to Lennon. No one else Glaston.

So when I say I don't hugely rate Young, and don't see him replacing Lennon or Bale, I'm telling lies am I?
Not lies. No. More like you are talking bullshit. The same crap you talk about Nani and Valencia and almost every player who doesn't play for Spurs.

You so far up your own arse with your opinions that it seems you can't deal with someone rating players differently from you.
You wish. I can deal with people rating them differently. You most certainly can't. Every time I voice my view on Lennon you seem so desperate to convince me to change it and desperate to prove me wrong. Eventually regressing to abuse hen you don't get your way.

Here is proof :

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
They are more likely to bench the brainless Lennon and have Young and Bale patrolling both flanks.

It was in part thanks to the "brainless" Lennon that we are now in the CL QFs courtesy of our 1 - 0 win away to AC Milan. He was the main creator for Crouch's goal.

There is zero chance of Young displacing Lennon. Just as there is zero chance of Harry not picking Lennon to play for every game when fit. But perhaps Harry is thus also "brainless" in your view?

Looking at this above. Who is the person who can't handle another person's opinion? Me or you Glaston?

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
PS. If you seriously imagine that I'm unhappy with Bale and Lennon in comparison with Nani and Valencia, then your red-tinted specs need a bit of lens cleaning.
This is remarkable. Why the heck would I think you ''unhappy'' when I am certain of how blinkered you are when it comes to Spurs?

For crying out loud it's you who assured me not long ago you'd rather have Bale over any other left sided player on the planet. You didn't care that it also included Cristiano Ronaldo and others.

Even as we speak now you are insinuating Bale and Lennon are better than Nani and Valencia. Not to metion how you told us Bale would ''rip apart' Rafael or whoever else we could use at right back this season.

You have to be crazy to entertain the notion that I '''imagine that you are unhappy with Bale and Lennon in comparison with Nani and Valencia'':wenger:

I can't imagine a person as blinkered as you ever being unhappy with things at Spurs.

At Spurs the attacking threats - and assists - are spread across a wider range of players than at Villa - e.g. Crouch, VdV, Bale and Lennon etc. And that's partly because Lennon's threat creates spaces and gaps for others.

I don't want to get caught up in a more narrow argument as to which player is the more inventive, because there are many aspects to the game of attacking football beyond this.

I'm simply saying that taking all factors into account - pace, dribbling skills, acceleration, character, work ethic, inventiveness etc etc - there is no way that Harry would consider signing Young as a replacement for Lennon.
:lol:

I'm very curious whether Ferguson will move for players that can challenge Nani, Valencia, Rooney, Berbatov/Hernandez for a spot in the team, but if he is, he is certainly not short of options this summer. We have been connected to Taarabt, Young, Sanchez and even Hazard and Douglas Costa. I doubt that he will make a move for any of them.

young or sanchez for me, either would be good. Young would be cheaper for sure as Madrid,Shitty and Chelsea linked heavily with Sanchez.

If we can get one of these, a replacement for VDS andthe yonug frenchman M'vila for midfield and id be happy.

young or sanchez for me, either would be good. Young would be cheaper for sure as Madrid,Shitty and Chelsea linked heavily with Sanchez.

If we can get one of these, a replacement for VDS andthe yonug frenchman M'vila for midfield and id be happy.

I personally think we need two central midfielders. We lack bite and a playmaker. So given the above signings I still think we'd lack someone to dictate our play apart from Scholes.

They were talking on TalkSport (yeh yeh) this morning that he had refused a new contract and said he wanted to leave in the Summer.

Can't find a credible source though.

As ive posted before one of my best mates plays at Villa, talk there is that Utd are interested in taking both Young and Ciaran Clark in the summer. Obviously thats talk between the players so not always correct, but he has been right more often than not in the past!

Liverpool have also shown an interest in Young.

I can see Liverpool signing him.. they need proper wingers.
He would be a good signing too

As ive posted before one of my best mates plays at Villa, talk there is that Utd are interested in taking both Young and Ciaran Clark in the summer. Obviously thats talk between the players so not always correct, but he has been right more often than not in the past!

Liverpool have also shown an interest in Young.

That's all stuff that has been widely reported in the press too.

I'd be very surprised if we went for Clarke.

I hadnt heard about Clark before he mentioned it.

Yeh it has been talked about in the press but he's fairly reliable in what he says, whereas the press are not.

Yeh I wasn't trying to discredit your source, just pointing out it had been in the papers also.

Obviously if he's just tuned into the chat of other players i'd expect a fair bit of paper talk would do the rounds with the players too.

Yeh I wasn't trying to discredit your source, just pointing out it had been in the papers also.

Obviously if he's just tuned into the chat of other players i'd expect a fair bit of paper talk would do the rounds with the players too.

Oh trust me im not saying he's the most reliable! He doesnt have enough brains to be a source. Plus he said Bebe is one of the best crossers of the ball he has played against :lol:

But with transfers hes been alrite, seems certain Young will move on.

I cant see why we would go for clark myself personally, hes a young centre half. If he came in you'd have to think Evans/Brown are moving on.

Id certainly take Young any day of the week.

Villa are sniffing around Owen again. Owen plugs another in makeweight in deal for Young would do nicely.

If the Sanchez to Chelsea rumors hold true then Young is probably the next target. Settling for less again. Granted I think Young would do well with United but no world beater for sure.

If the Sanchez to Chelsea rumors hold true then Young is probably the next target. Settling for less again. Granted I think Young would do well with United but no world beater for sure.

Granted Young is no world beater but he will definitely make our squad a lot stronger.

We wouldn't struggle as much if either one of Nani or Valencia gets injured and Young's pace would make us just as deadly on the counter attack.

He can also play down the middle if push comes to shove and I would rather we sign someone who is yearning for a move here than to sign someone who is looking for the best possible deal in terms of wages, which I suspect might be the case with Sanchez if we are indeed interested.

Sanchez had done very well this year, mainly as a link man. He never truly impressed in Italy as a winger. Now consider that he would cost around the 30m mark which would take a serious chunk of our transfer budget, that he's mainly a right sided player and that we already have Valencia and Nani in that position do we really need him?

Ashley Young is EPL tested and he should cost us around the 15m mark and can do pretty well on the left flank. Like Sanchez he can play in various roles and being a 15m signing its easier to send him on the bench then a 30m rated one. In my opinion he's a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.