A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we take away flair and step overs Young will provide us with the same end product as Sanchez. And as a bonus he's probably better in the defense.

OK. Bring it on.

Same, really. Can see his attributes, but I just think it has the potential to unbalance the squad.

On the plus side, this means it looks like we've a shedload of cash to spend this summer, given that by no means do we need a player like Young.

It's just good cover isn't it really - he can comfortably cover either flank, play in the hole and perhaps even play infield in a central three. He creates goals, scores a few and is very good on set pieces. There isn't really a downside.

For me, if we sign him and it doesn't take funds away from central midfield signings then I'm all for it. Wouldn't be devastated if he didn't sign either. Weird one.

For me, the only reason for signing Young is because next season Giggsy will be a full time CM.

Which then leaves us with four wingers, which makes perfect sense.

Young's a great signing. He also takes a mean set-piece, something we've lacked since Hargreaves broke and Ronaldo left.

It's just good cover isn't it really - he can comfortably cover either flank, play in the hole and perhaps even play infield in a central three. He creates goals, scores a few and is very good on set pieces. There isn't really a downside.

For me, if we sign him and it doesn't take funds away from central midfield signings then I'm all for it. Wouldn't be devastated if he didn't sign either. Weird one.

I keep having horrible thoughts regarding him displacing Nani, causing him to leave, only for him to then go elsewhere and completely feck shit up in all competitions whilst Young reverts back to being a average/good footballer.

We must not let that happen. That would be fecked.

It does concern me just how much we will have to juggle the first XI to keep all of Park, Valencia, Nani and Young happy. There is always the possibility that Young will step it up a few gears playing amongst class footballers, mind.

I keep having horrible thoughts regarding him displacing Nani, causing him to leave, only for him to then go elsewhere and completely feck shit up in all competitions whilst Young reverts back to being a average/good footballer.

We must not let that happen. That would be fecked.

It does concern me just how much we will have to juggle the first XI to keep all of Park, Valencia, Nani and Young happy. There is always the possibility that Young will step it up a few gears playing amongst class footballers, mind.

I don't think Nani will be here long term anyway to be honest. In any case, if Nani produces the form that he did for 18 months prior to the Carragher horror tackle, he won't be losing his place.

I also don't see how Young will regress as a player. He's entering his peak years and you'd think that coming into a club with better coaches and players would only improve. He's got some excellent assets - pace, good crosser and a mean shot - and I think he'll do well here.

Hopefully his signing doesnt mean those rumours of Park leaving could be true.
(Or even Nani :eek:)

Don't tell me you believe Goal.com... Park did say that it was 2-3 years, not next season when he can still play at the top...

Nani would be worse off...

Young is a sensible signing only if he's less than 15m and we need a replacement for Giggsy on LW for me...

His contract is nearly up FFS

Hopefully his signing doesnt mean those rumours of Park leaving could be true.
(Or even Nani :eek:)
The Park interview is being blown out of proportion. Basically he just said that he sees him leaving United after a few years because he doesn't think he'd be able to keep up to the level needed to play at the club so he'd be better off spending some time in S. Korea than retiring. I think at least.

The main reason I see for us signing us to have the possibility of resting Nani, something we did'nt really have last season, if Nani did'nt play we lost a lot of our attacking threat, and he tired before the end of the season, also Young is very direct and fast, something I've felt we lacked sometimes last season.

That's true, but Valencia offers exactly those qualities and was out for most of the season. His return coincided with a great upturn in form for us and I don't think it's a coincidence. IMO Young is a mix between Nani and Valencia. He's direct, but not as direct as Valencia, skilful, but not as skilful as Nani, while all three have excellent pace.

Young is experienced in this league but at 25/26 has years ahead of him, so if a player like that becomes available then signing him makes perfect sense. He offers an alternative to Nani and Valencia without sacrificing width, gives us some quality delivery from set pieces and his ability to play centrally will help mitigate Giggs' reduced playing time and eventual retirement.

For me, the only reason for signing Young is because next season Giggsy will be a full time CM.
WE NEED A ANOTHER WINGER FFS!!!!!!!!!!

- Valencia will play the Copa America therefore he`ll miss the first weeks of the new season.
- Giggs isn`t good enough anymore for the wing position, maybe for Carlisle in the FA-Cup.
- Bebe & Obertan aren`t good enough for the 1st team and they`re gone anyway by September 1st 2011.
- Welbeck isn`t a winger.
- Competition for the positions will only improve our team and a injury like Valencia`s can happen in every game of the season.

It would be madness if we would go with only Nani and Park into the first weeks of the season.

I don't understand why we're signing him - in the sense that I don't think we need a player of his ilk. But he is a great option to have. We're going to have very good coverage across the attacking positions.

With Valencia out for most of last season we lacked any decent back ups to take his place. He is a far better option on both wings than Obertan, Gibson, Fletcher, and Bebe. Giggs just don't have the legs any more to play wide, and Park has a tendency to drift infield. Rooney on occasions had to moved left to give us balance. Young will give hopefully fill those voids. Premiership proven, and just coming into his prime years.

PS: Can also play behind a striker.

Imagine if we'd had Young last season. There you go, signing justified.

When the hell is this deal going to go through? Papers have been saying the deal is going to happen every week for the past three weeks.

The signing makes sense. We only have two genuine wide men in Valencia and Nani.

Giggs will presumably play centrally almost without exception (at the start of last season he was still primarily used on the left), and I think we could see Park play more centrally in the coming couple seasons. Additionally Young can play behind a striker which is a position that we haven't seen Valencia or Nani in very much.

The signing makes sense. We only have two genuine wide men in Valencia and Nani.

Giggs will presumably play centrally almost without exception (at the start of last season he was still primarily used on the left), and I think we could see Park play more centrally in the coming couple seasons. Additionally Young can play behind a striker which is a position that we haven't seen Valencia or Nani in very much.

I doubt Giggs will really get a look in this season if/when we sign a CM too, to be realistic here.

But Young is a good signing, and like you've said, it doesn't mean Valencia or Nani will get dropped or much less game time. They're superior players and will continue to be, but Young is very versatile, and can play in numerous positions, and (god forbid) if we get injuries to attackers he can jump into almost any of those positions no problem.

It's a good signing, and I'm sure people would agree if they weren't so mad on getting Sanchez instead.

So in the past page we've had

'Giggs can't cut it on left anymore' and now
'Giggs won't get a look in (anywhere)'

Good stuff guys

He does prove us wrong most seasons, fair enough, but if we've got the depth in attackers we're likely to possess this year, it's less likely than ever.

I doubt Giggs will really get a look in this season if/when we sign a CM too, to be realistic here.

How many assists did he get playing in CM last season? His chances will be restricted if we sign a top draw creative/attacking midfielder, sure. But even if we signed a Sneijder then Giggs would still get games. Our midfield options aren't exactly overflowing. Or we could play 433. Or he could play alongside a deep-lying playmaker if we were to sign such a player. Or maybe we'll sign a defensive midfielder. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign one of the players we're being linked with, but instead someone who is more...well...surprising!

I don't think Nani will be here long term anyway to be honest. In any case, if Nani produces the form that he did for 18 months prior to the Carragher horror tackle, he won't be losing his place.

I also don't see how Young will regress as a player. He's entering his peak years and you'd think that coming into a club with better coaches and players would only improve. He's got some excellent assets - pace, good crosser and a mean shot - and I think he'll do well here.

I just mean the hypothetical scenario of him ousting Nani on certain occasions, Nani getting pissed off at squad rotation, then Young turning out to be good at best.

Not sure it's worth the risk, though I also question whether Nani will be here long term.

Young can play on both flanks and upfront. He'll bring quality competition in every of the previously mentioned positions while keeping everyone on his toes. Many keep on mentioning the quality strength in depth in our flanks while forgetting that Bebe/Obertan are crap, Giggs is old and Park's major strength is workrate (which is one of the first thing you lose when you grow older). Not to forget that neither Cleverley nor Welbeck are wingers.

I don't think that Nani should be more worried about losing his place then any other player. If there is someone who should be more worried about what is going on is Berba. The Bulgarian is blessed with a fantastic touch and is certainly a fantastic asset to the team. On the other hand he does slow the game of a team which is traditionally build around speed. Considering his age and the fact that he's just have a year left in his contract......

This is the reason i am against the signing.We need a ready-made first team player rather than someone providing cover..

We dont though. Nani and Valencia are good enough. We just need decent cover now Giggs and Park are getting on a bit and Young provides that.

This is pretty much the same reaction as we had to Valencias signing.

How about we give the lad a chance and see what he can do with better players around him?

He'll play a lot of games as the deep-lying striker if Berbatov does leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.