A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Ashley Young is quality - and if we have him, Nani and Valencia - in addition to Park - we have the best wide-players both in terms of quality and quantity.
I would not go that far in that he would be "best" but he definitely would be value and would provide cover for Giggs and Nani.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Would be a very sound signing.

He'd be very useful and is the right age. Granted, he wouldn't make an impact like a Bale or a Sanchez but he would help strengthen our options, for sure.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
We can do better than Ashley Young can't we? Plus I don't really see the sense in splashing a fair amount of cash on a player that would be third choice winger behind Nani and Valencia. Here's an idea, how about we buy a fecking central midfielder in the summer, you know the one we've been lacking since Hargreaves got injured.

red2deadboy

-----------rooney
bale------young------nani
------ander--new DM

That's the team we need to construct to stamp authority on league and europe.

Untied

He doesn't seem to be the missing piece in our squad, but as has been mentioned, he could be a bit of a bargain.

dev1l

I would not go that far in that he would be "best" but he definitely would be value and would provide cover for Giggs and Nani.
Same here. tbf i cant see someone replacing giggsy. We can only hope that nani continues to improve

kietotheworld

£15m when he has a year left on his contract? They can go and feck themselves.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He has a better end product than any of United's current wingers, bar Giggs. You can see forwards especially thriving with his deliveries in open play and set pieces.
Are you saying Nani's end product isn't good or that Young's is exceptional?

You're aware of Nani's level of productivity over the past year or so?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I just don't get this new speculation about Young. When SAF made those comments, why would anyone assume he's not talking about Oxlade-Chamberlain, when it was more or less confirmed that we made an enquiry?

I think the answer is the usual journo shite trying to get people interested in made-up stuff.

I quite like Young, as it goes, but I don't think we need him really.

M160RA

£15m when he has a year left on his contract? They can go and feck themselves.
I agree it's a little steep. I think something in the region of half that price would be good value. The problem is at that price there would be a number of clubs that would be interested.

Salvation

Damnation
Are you saying Nani's end product isn't good or that Young's is exceptional?

You're aware of Nani's level of productivity over the past year or so?
The latter.

I'm aware of Nani's stats, but it's also partly down to two or three being in very good goalscoring form. In games, I feel his deliveries are still not as consistent as Young's.

RedLars

The latter.

I'm aware of Nani's stats, but it's also partly down to two or three being in very good goalscoring form. In games, I feel his deliveries are still not as consistent as Young's.
My understanding of "end product" has always been that it's about numbers. Nani has more than twice the as many goals and assists than Ashley Young has this season. To suggest that the latter has a better end product is just ridiculous.

That said, if the price is right (for me 15 million or less) I think he'll be a great addition to our squad. He seems to be underrated by many here. Quick, good on the ball and a good set-piece taker.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think the reason many are underwhelmed by the idea of Young, or that he's underrated, is because as a winger he's shown very few signs of development since his move to Villa. He was an excellent set piece taker, a threat carrying the ball at pace, two-footed and had a good delivery in open play from the moment he signed for them.

He added no real subtlety, awareness or consistency to his game since his first full season at Villa, which to this day is still his most productive (in both goals and assists) also. To show so few signs of progression after 3 and a half years at a young, developing team that was progressing itself will cause people to ask questions.

He still plays on instinct, he's shown so little progression in his decision-making it has to be a worry. Wingers will always have that side of their game to them, granted, but it shouldn't be such a major part of their game if they are playing at a top club where you will have much more possession and have many more options than the simple beat your man and whip it in.

That said, I think he's shown signs of progression and a lot more subtlety to his game since being moved centrally. It may just have been because Villa played with such a basic (but effective) style under O'Neill that Young didn't have to expand his game or wasn't given the opportunities to, his game was around being a ball-carrier at pace for quick breakaways and providing a constant source of delivery from wide areas for a very one-dimensional target men. It's hard to play more sophisticated football with Carew, Heskey and the like.

Salvation

Damnation
My understanding of "end product" has always been that it's about numbers. Nani has more than twice the as many goals and assists than Ashley Young has this season. To suggest that the latter has a better end product is just ridiculous.

That said, if the price is right (for me 15 million or less) I think he'll be a great addition to our squad. He seems to be underrated by many here. Quick, good on the ball and a good set-piece taker.
End product for a winger for me is creating chances when in possession at a wide position. Or set pieces. Nani is still quite hit and miss at those. Of course, other dynamics like how good are the forwards receiving that service also comes into picture. A decent winger may look better when feeding a good striker (Dyer/Shearer). That's why it's often players from top teams who populate those stats. In reality, it reveals little.

It was only a matter of months when Berbatov was pretty much uninterested in any of Nani's deliveries from out wide. But Nani is the more consistent scorer, no doubting that.

Untied

Young - 20 PL apps, 4 goals, 4 assists

Nani - 22 PL apps, 9 goals, 13 assists

Very hit and miss.

Alex

He takes their penalties as well, not saying that there is a problem with that, but imagine what the goal total would be otherwise, I think he has 3 penos this season

Devil may care

I think the reason many are underwhelmed by the idea of Young, or that he's underrated, is because as a winger he's shown very few signs of development since his move to Villa. He was an excellent set piece taker, a threat carrying the ball at pace, two-footed and had a good delivery in open play from the moment he signed for them.

He added no real subtlety, awareness or consistency to his game since his first full season at Villa, which to this day is still his most productive (in both goals and assists) also. To show so few signs of progression after 3 and a half years at a young, developing team that was progressing itself will cause people to ask questions.

He still plays on instinct, he's shown so little progression in his decision-making it has to be a worry. Wingers will always have that side of their game to them, granted, but it shouldn't be such a major part of their game if they are playing at a top club where you will have much more possession and have many more options than the simple beat your man and whip it in.

That said, I think he's shown signs of progression and a lot more subtlety to his game since being moved centrally. It may just have been because Villa played with such a basic (but effective) style under O'Neill that Young didn't have to expand his game or wasn't given the opportunities to, his game was around being a ball-carrier at pace for quick breakaways and providing a constant source of delivery from wide areas for a very one-dimensional target men. It's hard to play more sophisticated football with Carew, Heskey and the like.
This pretty much sums it up, he doesn't look as good now as he did the season where he wont the PFA young player of the year award and he'll be 26 by the time we get him. There just seems several younger, equally if not more so, talented options out there.

GingerPrince11

Young - 20 PL apps, 4 goals, 4 assists

Nani - 22 PL apps, 9 goals, 13 assists

Very hit and miss.
possibly, but when his front line consisted of Carew, Heskey and Agbonlahor, whom all have been shit this season. There isnt much to aim for. His best season has come, when Agbonlahor and the others have done well.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
youngs really good, hes been playing through the middle recently though right?

if milner went for a crazy price id expect young to aswel

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We can do better than Ashley Young can't we? Plus I don't really see the sense in splashing a fair amount of cash on a player that would be third choice winger behind Nani and Valencia. ...
He will be cheaper than most think. He has about a year left on his contract. I'll be surprised if he costs anyone above 12m. I actually expect him to cost less than that.

Robbie Boy

He will be cheaper than most think. He has about a year left on his contract. I'll be surprised if he costs anyone above 12m. I actually expect him to cost less than that.
Are you serious? Given the money that Villa have commanded on recent transfers I would suspect that he would cost closer to the £20million mark.

Barry was in a similar position when he left, he only had a year left on his contract just like Young and still cost £14million. The fact that Young looks closer to the England squad than ever now will also add a few extra million onto the deal no doubt. Look at the likes of Milner, Bent, Carroll etc and all the signs would point to Young costing quite a bit.

Are you serious? Given the money that Villa have commanded on recent transfers I would suspect that he would cost closer to the £20million mark.
Not with about 6 months left on his deal. Right now he has about a year left and he made it clear he is not likely to extend the deal.

Barry was in a similar position when he left, he only had a year left on his contract just like Young and still cost £14million.
Because Man City bought him. Besides do the maths. Right now he has about a year to 10 months left. By July-August it will be like 6-7 months left. Villa won't be in a great position to demand high fees. Naturally
as a result of that he wont cost as much as Barry did.

Robbie Boy

Not with about 6 moths left on his deal. Right now he has about a year left and he made it clear he is not liekly to extend the deal.

Because Man City bought him. Besides do the math. Right now he has about a year to 10 months left. By July-August it will be like 6-7 months left. Villa won't be in a great position to demand high fees. Naturally
as a result of that he wont cost as much as Barry did.
He will have a year left come the summer, his contract expires next June or July I believe, so therefore it is the same as Barry and they still held out for the fee they wanted in that particular transfer.

It is not only us linked with him though, City, Chelsea and Liverpool are also linked which could spark a bidding war, if this happens I can definitely see him leaving for a fee in excess of £20million.

Anyway it is all guess work and predictions at this stage. On a different note, I personally hope we don't enter the predicted 'bidding war' for him and loom at other targets, I don't think our wings are priority.

He will have a year left come the summer, his contract expires next June or July I believe, so therefore it is the same as Barry and they still held out for the fee they wanted in that particular transfer.
It depends what news about his contract is correct. As far as I know from Jan 1st he had 1 year left. Meaning in July he will have just 6 months left on his deal, able to enter discussions with other clubs to move on a free if he so wishes. If I'm right about that, he wont match Barry's price tag at all.

Anyway it is all guess work and predictions at this stage. On a different note, I personally hope we don't enter the predicted 'bidding war' for him and loom at other targets, I don't think our wings are priority.
Firstly, I doubt he is good enough for us to enter a major bidding war for him.

Secondly, we will need to properly replace Giggs, as a winger next summer. Hopefully we can do that by simply promoting Cleverley.

Devil may care

Transfer news: Manchester United not giving up on £19m January target Ashley Young - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Manchester United made a £19million January raid for Ashley Young – and will go back for the Aston Villa star this summer.

Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson has admitted United were in the market for one player in the last transfer window and People Sport can today reveal that it was England winger Young.

Read the full version of this story at People.co.uk
I love the way they state it as a fact we bid £19M for him in January.:rolleyes: I really can't imagine us paying that much for a guy with so little time left on his deal, plus I am still hoping we are not interested at all.

Devils Advocate

Highly doubt we'd have bid 19mil for him but anything around 15mil considering his contract situation, and I'd take him - think he'd do a good job for us.

He's no better than the 4 options we have and that is before Cleverly comes back.
He is no worse either tbf. He'd be excellent competition and cover for Valencia, Park and Nani. TBH We don't always have to sign a player above the level of what we have, after all, do we really want to break up the Valencia-Nani partnership?

Devil may care

He is no worse either tbf. He'd be excellent competition and cover for Valencia, Park and Nani. TBH We don't always have to sign a player above the level of what we have, after all, do we really want to break up the Valencia-Nani partnership?
If we were to add another winger I'd prefer one that is natural on the left rather than Nani getting shoved over there, and I think I'd rather see Cleverly, Giggs and Park share the left next season, with Morrison getting cup games, than bring in a pricey squad player.

lysglimt

Scout
The advantage of Young is that he is perfect in a 4-3-3 - he is probably better in a free role than as a straight winger.

Young, Nani, Valencia, Park, Cleverley, Berbatov, Rooney, Welbeck and Chicharito

Then I would say we are well covered even when Giggs retires

If we were to add another winger I'd prefer one that is natural on the left rather than Nani getting shoved over there
TBF Nani wouldn't just be shoved over there. Like yesterday and vs Bayern. He has shown he can be utterly devastating on the left wing.

, and I think I'd rather see Cleverly, Giggs and Park share the left next season, with Morrison getting cup games, than bring in a pricey squad player.
Next season Giggs will be too old for that flank and Park is frankly miles better on the right. Cleverly is certainly the most likely candidate to take up Giggs left wing role next season. But I don't think it would be awful to have young there if SA sees Cleverley's future else where in the side.

The advantage of Young is that he is perfect in a 4-3-3 - he is probably better in a free role than as a straight winger.

Young, Nani, Valencia, Park, Cleverley, Berbatov, Rooney, Welbeck and Chicharito

Then I would say we are well covered even when Giggs retires
I agree. I wouldn't mind signing him at all.

The only other winger around that I'd like to see us sign instead of him is Sanchez of Udinese. Who offers the same things while being a dribbling wizard and even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.