A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Young, but him and Valencia are really not that comparable.

Personally I don't get this lack of love for Young some people have. I mean, most of you are very happy with Valencia. So why would a two footed, freekick taking version of him seem a disappointing signing?

Very different players actually. Valencia is physically an absolute monster as well among many other differences.

But personally I think if there's one thing we lack it's a bit of quality in ball retention and technical ability. Nani and Berbatov are the two you'd say are technically very gifted in our midfield and attack (excluding Giggs). And Berbatov isn't even first choice ATM. So personally I wanted our signings this summer to be aimed at signing a few players in that mould. Less graft and more craft.

Ashley young as far closer to Nani in terms of style of play than he is to Valencia.

In fact I can't really see how the two are comparable. Ashley young is a forward much like Nani, Valencia is a winger with superior workrate to both but not as much flair or dribbling ability or an eye for goal.

Personally I don't get this lack of love for Young some people have. I mean, most of you are very happy with Valencia. So why would a two footed, freekick taking version of him seem a disappointing signing?

I think he'll do well for us. I said already in one of these threads, I expect we'll see that sort of Valencia improvement in terms of output, as he'll be placed into better positions, passing to better teammates, etc.

My only slight reservation, is that I prefer if he was a natural left-footed winger

Young is said to be set to complete the medical and the transfer during his holiday via webcam, since it's how he likes to do things. He apparently asked for a woman doctor, saying he would not insist on a doctor's robe, or any clothing.

Nani and Valencia will be our first choice wingers (Park in certain games), with Young and Cleverley as back ups. Sounds good to me! Now get a world class midfielder and we're set

I wouldn't be so sure. Ferguson isn't buying Young as simply a back up for Valencia and Nani.

It makes sense with Giggsy moving to a more central role. 3 good attacking wide options to pick from.

Still, CM is the real concern...

So, I've seen 15 million from the Indy, 15m from the Telegraph, 16m from the Guardian, 20m from the Sun and eleventy billion from goal.com. Anyone seen any other figures floating around?

A bit more than the 12m everyone was talking about, but 15 (seems the most plausible) ain't too bad, even if it does make a bit of a joke of the whole "last year of his contract" nonsense that one sees all over the place.

So, I've seen 15 million from the Indy, 15m from the Telegraph, 16m from the Guardian, 20m from the Sun and eleventy billion from goal.com. Anyone seen any other figures floating around?

A bit more than the 12m everyone was talking about, but 15 (seems the most plausible) ain't too bad, even if it does make a bit of a joke of the whole "last year of his contract" nonsense that one sees all over the place.

With City sniffing around and Liverpool supposedly interested too, the price was always going to be inflated, last year of his contract or not.

£15m would be a good bit of business and anyone slagging off the deal now is going to have to eat their words in the same fashion as the Valencia doubters. Probably more so.

With City sniffing around and Liverpool supposedly interested too, the price was always going to be inflated, last year of his contract or not.

£15m would be a good bit of business and anyone slagging off the deal now is going to have to eat their words in the same fashion as the Valencia doubters. Probably more so.

See thing is, i actually saw what fergie saw in valencia and had no issue with the signing.

Youngs older than valencia, and tbh, i feel is as good as valencia. There isnt much to improve on, youngs pretty much a finished article. We'll wait and see.

No you're right 15 million is very good business for Young. He'll be a good player for us IMO. For some reason I just can't seem to warm to him and that's come out through a lot of negativity regarding this possible transfer. But logically looking at it, he should do really well for us and his set pieces will be HUGE bonus.

cant believe only 15 million, they could have easily got 25 for him, given the rest of english transfers

what the feck!!!!
15 mil is good value? Is it? Really?
If 15mil is good value, then 35 mil is excellent value for Benzema! Before anybody says 'Benzama hasn't proved his worth in the last year' the you can feck right off!
If SAF thought that 35 mil isn't 'value' and let Benzema go, the 15 mil for Young should be a fecking joke!
go ahead, prove me wrong!

You do realise we're in a market where Liverpool have paid 35 million for Andy Carroll and 20 for Jordan Henderson neither of whom have the quality of Young or have featured at international level nearly as often, 15 million for Young in today's market is a great deal.

I think a lot of people will be surprised at how good he is when they see him next season, reminds me so much of the Valencia signing and everyone whinging that he wasnt good enough, Youngs better now than Valencia was then without question.

You do realise we're in a market where Liverpool have paid 35 million for Andy Carroll and 20 for Jordan Henderson neither of whom have the quality of Young or have featured at international level nearly as often, 15 million for Young in today's market is a great deal.

I think a lot of people will be surprised at how good he is when they see him next season, reminds me so much of the Valencia signing and everyone whinging that he wasnt good enough, Youngs better now than Valencia was then without question.
He's also older now than Valencia was, not that I'm saying he isn't a good signing.

By a year.

Honestly surprised so many people think this isnt anything other than a good deal, especially in todays market, i mentioned Carroll and Henderson, what about Lescott and Milner? Phil Jones even look what hes costing, English players come at a premium im afraid, had Youngs contract not been a year from expiring you can bet your bottom dollar wed not get him for below 20 million, not when crap like Milner and Henderson go for those figures.

15 million for a player whos shone for years in an average side approaching the peak of his career whos now looking the part on the international stage is excellent in my opinion, im delighted hes signing.

what the feck!!!!
If 15mil is good value, then 35 mil is excellent value for Benzema! Before anybody says 'Benzama hasn't proved his worth in the last year' the you can feck right off!
If SAF thought that 35 mil isn't 'value' and let Benzema go, the 15 mil for Young should be a fecking joke!

Calm down numb nuts. Not quite sure what your point is here.

what the feck!!!!

Well done. That's one of the worst posts I've ever read.

You do realize if SAF wanted quality he should of went outside the realms of the "english".
Shit, we could have gotten a guy from another league with more technique, skill and who isn't inhibited by the common english flaw...."creativity".
The hell with his free kicks, there is so much more value out there!.
coulodn't care less though, as long as there is some quality in the centre of midfield at the end of the transfer window!

what the feck!!!!

what has this got to do with Benzema in the first place, do you need an injection to calm down?....:wenger:

what the feck!!!!

Yes, thats why Madrid played all their big games with Adebayor up front.

You do realize if SAF wanted quality he should of went outside the realms of the "english".
Shit, we could have gotten a guy from another league with more technique, skill and who isn't inhibited by the common english flaw...."creativity".
coulodn't care less though, as long as there is some quality in the centre of midfield at the end of the transfer window!
Perhaps you should try and contact Fergie to pass on your obvious expertise in the identification of players.

Shit, we could have gotten a guy from another league with more technique, skill and who isn't inhibited by the common english flaw...."creativity".The hell with his free kicks, there is so much more value out there!.

Wow!

Well done. That's one of the worst posts I've ever read.

Have you?
i guess after 20,000 posts you wouldn't know a quality post if it hit you in the ass at 160km/hr.

jokes aside mate, you think this is good value? really? shit, you must have someone porking you in the ass if that is true!

Have you?
i guess after 20,000 posts you wouldn't know a quality post if it hit you in the ass at 160km/hr.

jokes aside mate, you think this is good value? really? shit, you must have someone porking you in the ass if that is true!

:lol: Three in a row.

Nurse!

Perhaps you should try and contact Fergie to pass on your obvious expertise in the identification of players.

It's an opinion, if i could, i probably wouldn't conatct the greatest manager in the world!
It's just stupid to do so, but this is just my opinion, what's yours? Blowing smoke up someones ass i bet!

I'm guessing Jinn isn't English. :D

feck English, i'm part of the what they call the "common wealth", so english is part of me weather i like it or not! But the quality of the English is not what i'm concerned about, it's the sanity of the scotish is what worries me!

Have you?

It's an opinion, if i could, i probably wouldn't conatct the greatest manager in the world!
It's just stupid to do so, but this is just my opinion, what's yours? Blowing smoke up someones ass i bet!

Why are you so obsessed with things going up asses?

Status
Not open for further replies.