A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good move for us. He's at a good age with lots to prove. The only troubling thing for me is the word 'spaculation'....:(

Yes but how is at building Gaudi architecture?......We're still streets behind Barcelona in that regard.

If it does go through, I bet the club merchandising department will be gutted he won't with him not having the #7 shirt.

His delivery from set-pieces is excellent.

I used to think that too but then I looked up at Villa forums, they're saying it's very inconsistent. I don't know if they're saying due to bitterness of him leaving the club though.

Define "good" at taking freekicks? Scoring one in five? Or hitting the target on all of them? IMO, scoring directly from 20% is probably fantastic given what we've seen. TBH, we were spoilt by Becks and then Ronaldo.

But as long as we dont do the same ol' hit the wall, into the stands, or for corners hit the first man, ill be happy. Young has hit some really good corners as well (maybe not as much last year)

Define "good" at taking freekicks? Scoring one in five? Or hitting the target on all of them? IMO, scoring directly from 20% is probably fantastic given what we've seen. TBH, we were spoilt by Becks and then Ronaldo.

But as long as we dont do the same ol' hit the wall, into the stands, or for corners hit the first man, ill be happy. Young has hit some really good corners as well (maybe not as much last year)

To be fair defining good in relation to our set piece play 1 in 20 would be a marked improvement, Young's delivery from set plays is considerably superior to anything currently at the club without question.

Someone once posted stats on how often players score from free-kicks. Beckham or Ronaldo didn't convert anything like as much as 20%. The actual figure was shockingly low.

Someone once posted stats on how often players score from free-kicks. Beckham or Ronaldo didn't convert anything like as much as 20%. The actual figure was shockingly low.

From memory Zola was on 7% at Parma and he was considered the best at the time.

I've been jostling for the past 3 hrs with the router. Admittedly, I'm a bit grumpy.

Lets try it again with a little more politeness, My, look at his wifey, sure does look really horizontally gifted. A woman of real mass and substance.

:lol:

Juninho's been talked about as having a ridiculous goals to free kick ratio but it's never been proven. As for Ashley Young...I'm not really sure why that side of his game's being discussed, more often than not when he takes a free kick it's from a crossing position I thought. Regardless, someone did a graph about free kicks for the first half of this season just passed:

yield+free+kicks+epl+2010.png

All fans complain about their free kicks and their set pieces. I was on a Sunderland forum reading up about Henderson and that's all they talk about, one person even called him the worst set piece taker he's ever seen. Or here's a couple of comments from where that image was taken - 'Can someone please forward this to Arsene Wenger? Great player though he is, watching Van Persie balloon free kick after free kick high and wide over the bar has been one of the most frustrating features of this season' and 'Couldn't agree more. Other Arsenal supporters get angry when I mention how bad Van Persie is at free kicks. I can't remember the last time he scored a free kick, or even hit one on target.'. Then you have the fact that people are complaining about Ashley Young's set pieces on AV forums (apparently)...

I'm not saying there is or isn't any substance to these suggestions, it's just to point out that set pieces are in general inconsistent and for that reason infuriating for every supporter. Possibly more so for United fans because it's not been that long since we've had Beckham.

I think so. It seems unlikely that 10 teams in the league hadn't scored one goal from a cross (or a rebound) off a free kick in half a season.

I think so. It seems unlikely that 10 teams in the league hadn't scored one goal from a rebound off a free kick in half a season.

Gotcha.

Be interesting to know how many goals were scored and who scored them.

The data would be a bit meaningless if Blackburn only scored a couple of goals and Pedersen got both of them!

Meh, dont think we need him, he's not better than Nani or Valencia.
20 million is too much, as are the 130k a week wages, hopefully all us doubters are proved wrong and he has a great season but for the moment, not too happy.
Better options out there IMO. We needed someone with technical abilities, someone who can spot a pass, we've signed someone who spends most of his time repeatedly swinging in hopeful crosses.

Yeah it says 'Freekicks' underneath, Pogue, though the number on the bottom axis should be labelled 'Ratio of Goals to Freekick attempts' really.

Set piece stats are always unreliable....Direct ones not so much, but still a little. The success of an indirect free-kick depends on loads more than just the taker. The defenders, the attackers and how many you're likely to get in a match for example.

If Beckham's stats are unimpressive as Pogue states, it's far more likely the result of one of these (and remember United will get more free kicks than most teams, making the averages less flattering) than Beckham not actually being one of the greatest set-piece deliverers...which he obviously is.

Like most things in football, it's better to just watch them and make a judgement. We know Nani has a phenomenal assist record this season, but also know he can often be incredibly frustrating when getting a cross in.

Meh, dont think we need him, he's not better than Nani or Valencia.
20 million is too much, as are the 130k a week wages, hopefully all us doubters are proved wrong and he has a great season but for the moment, not too happy.
Better options out there IMO. We needed someone with technical abilities, someone who can spot a pass, we've signed someone who spends most of his time repeatedly swinging in hopeful crosses.

By all accounts hes not being signed to compete with Nani or Valencia, it appears Sir alex wants to use him as a central player much like Villa did last season, the fact hes comfortable at playing on either flank is just another bonus.

Looks like we're going to have a very pacey forward line next season with Nani/Valencia/Young/Rooney and Hernandez vying for spots, back to the counter-attacking style of 06/07 perhaps.

Set piece stats are always unreliable....Direct ones not so much, but still a little. The success of an indirect free-kick depends on loads more than just the taker. The defenders, the attackers and how many you're likely to get in a match for example.

If Beckham's stats are unimpressive as Pogue states, it's far more likely the result of one of these (and remember United will get more free kicks than most teams, making the averages less flattering) than Beckham not actually being one of the greatest set-piece deliverers.

Like most things in football, it's better to just watch them and make a judgement.

I meant unimpressive in comparison to the hypothetical 20% mentioned above.

His stats were better than almost all his peers iirc and considerably better than Ronaldo's.

Gotcha.

Be interesting to know how many goals were scored and who scored them.

The data would be a bit meaningless if Blackburn only scored a couple of goals and Pedersen got both of them!

I agree. Someone create a graph showing the goal to freekick ratio of individual Prem players from 2006 to present day and I'll start taking an interest.

Where the feck are these 20m/130m a week figures coming from?

And are people assuming this will be the last signing of the summer?

The Mirror I think.

Yes, fear is setting as we have already spent close to £50M and there is still no CM purchases.

I meant unimpressive in comparison to the hypothetical 20% mentioned above.

His stats were better than almost all his peers iirc and considerably better than Ronaldo's.

Oh OK...I wouldn't be surprised RE:Ronaldo..His set pieces were always (and still are) incredibly erratic. They were just excellent when they worked. They often didn't..Whereas Beckham's consistency in getting the ball to where he wanted it, or into a decent place is surely unsurpassed (for us at least)

By all accounts hes not being signed to compete with Nani or Valencia, it appears Sir alex wants to use him as a central player much like Villa did last season, the fact hes comfortable at playing on either flank is just another bonus.

Looks like we're going to have a very pacey forward line next season with Nani/Valencia/Young/Rooney and Hernandez vying for spots, back to the counter-attacking style of 06/07 perhaps.

If he plays central, it means Hernandez or Rooney wont play, cos he cant play in a two man midfield.
It has to be to compete with Valencia and Nani, which is all very well, except there are better players out there who would cost less.

Where the feck are these 20m/130m a week figures coming from?

And are people assuming this will be the last signing of the summer?

I've seen it a few places, mostly twitter, which is very reliable :)

It wont be our last signing, I think we'll sign 2/3 more.

Oh OK...I wouldn't be surprised RE:Ronaldo..His set pieces were always (and still are) incredibly erratic. They were just excellent when they worked. They often didn't..Whereas Beckham's consistency in getting the ball to where he wanted it, or into a decent place is surely unsurpassed (for us at least)

Dennis Irwin would run him close but yeah, the consistency with which he delivered the ball into the right area was amazing.

It's something we've never come close to replacing since he left. Probably a big factor in Fergie's interest in Young.

If he plays central, it means Hernandez or Rooney wont play, cos he cant play in a two man midfield.
It has to be to compete with Valencia and Nani, which is all very well, except there are better players out there who would cost less.

I've seen it a few places, mostly twitter, which is very reliable :)

It wont be our last signing, I think we'll sign 2/3 more.

Well Youngs had a great season playing behind the striker at Villa and thats where all the talk is of Fergie wanting to use him, its a squad game remember, its not as if one of Hernandez or Rooney wont ever play again if Youngs fit, horses for courses and all that plus inevitable injuries etc.

Tbh im excited at the thought of Young/Nani/Valencia/Rooney or Hernandez in the same side, the speed of that front line would scare the shit out of defences, plus we wouldnt be fecked if one of our wide players had a 6 month injury again which clearly did hamper us last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.