A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nasri? Yes. I agree.

Given he can play on the left wing, though, and play very well it does seem strange to add another left winger to the mix if we're confident of signing Nasri.

I'm still sceptical about the whole Nasri deal but you'd have to say if we do sign him as well as Young that surely means someone will be leaving. One of the likes of Berbatov or Nani perhaps? Also, where does that leave Cleverley? I'd certainly expect Welbeck to be loaned out again as well.

Remember last year - 'what are we signing another centeback for' '£12m for a Fulham reserve' 'he's rubbish' 'moan moan whinge winge'.

Smelling worked out alright, I'm sure Young if he signs will too.

Whiffs a bit too.

Whinge whinge, moan moan, fecking whinge moan moan. Some of you lot are fecking pathetic. If I were SAF I'd personally track you down one by one and punch each of you in the face with a skunk.

I don't understand how we can agree personal terms before agreeing the fee.

Villa just need to give Young permission to discuss terms whilst the transfer fee is negotiated.

Oh lord, give us sense.

Alex-Ferguson-as-Bob-the-builder

Well, it's not the kind of signing I was dreaming we would make, but nevertheless I hope it turns out well. At least we may move on now and finally sign a proper central midfielder I hope...

Why did you go straight to the maternal aspect of his work?

Weirdo.

Signing one of the best wingers in the league to get some competition on the flanks is hardly a bad thing. Good signing.

As David McDonnell points out in this article it's not inconceivable that Fergie intends to play Young through the middle, rather than as a winger.

He also points out that Young was originally a striker in his Watford days.

I remember a few eyebrows were raised at the time when Houllier moved him from the wing to a more central role and some thought it was some kind of masterstroke, clearly not when he used to play centrally anyway.

Ferguson is said to have bought Young with the intention of playing him through the middle, rather than as a winger - a role in which he excelled at Villa, but one where United already have an abundance of options, including Nani, Antonio Valencia and Ji-Sung Park.

Young made his name as a prolific striker at Watford, his favoured position until his move to Villa.

He was deployed out wide there under Martin O'Neill, but when Gerard Houllier arrived he played him in a more central role off the main striker.

Transfer analysis: What will the arrival of Ashley Young do to the Manchester United team sheet? by David McDonnell - Mirror Football Blog - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Nani and Valencia included in our 'abundance of options' (Park being the only other listed) who play through the middle. Great journalism.

As David McDonnell points out in this article it's not inconceivable that Fergie intends to play Young through the middle, rather than as a winger.

I remember a few eyebrows were raised at the time when Houllier moved him from the wing to a more central role and some thought it was some kind of masterstroke, clearly not when he used to play centrally anyway.

If that's true this sounds similar to Scholes.

Transfer analysis: What will the arrival of Ashley Young do to the Manchester United team sheet? by David McDonnell - Mirror Football Blog - MirrorFootball.co.uk

That quote doesn't quite make sense.

Edit: Cider beat me to it!

i naturally assumed young will be through the middle.

i think he will be berbas partner.

The point is Young can play in a number of positions, and be very productive.

In fairness, we easily have the best wing options in the league now. Infact, by the end of the summer we'll probably have the best squad too.

It's picking the first 11 SAF will have a headache over.

In fairness, we easily have the best wing options in the league now. Infact, by the end of the summer we'll probably have the best squad too.

It's picking the first 11 SAF will have a headache over.

Let's hope so. What's scary is that we've already spent about 50m and still bought noone to replace Scholes.

Let's hope so. What's scary is that we've already spent about 50m and still bought noone to replace Scholes.

Sales will probably reduce that to around £38,000,000 spent. I hate talking figures, because it's mainly conjecture, but it's evident now that some funds are avaliable (apparently over hundred million in the club account) so if SAF has a target and wants him, I've no doubt we'll move for him.

I mean, if we add Nasri onto who we've bought already, for 8 or 10 million, you just can't overlook bargains like this.

Also, the money for Jones probably doesn't count considering we had to move early for him suggesting the money was put aside for him.

Basically, who the feck knows how much we've spent or are willing to spend.

I'm betting a fair amount.

Not scary at all, proves we're not skint for a start! :D

Well, what I mean is that've already spent a lot of money and it would be highly disapponting to see Ferguson close his checkbook now and state he's fine with his squad as it is.

And really, after spending 50-55m can you now expect us to pay another 20-40m on some genuine Scholes replacement? I think it's much less likely than it seemed a few days ago, before the Jones and Young transfers had been "confirmed" and that's one reason why I was against signing Young.

I can see a mass suicide on the caf if we close our checkbook now and buy noone to play CM, me included.

ffs, if we do get Young does this actually mean we have somebody to take our setpieces?? And somebody who has proven to be good at it in the Prem already? :eek:

Also, the money for Jones probably doesn't count considering we had to move early for him suggesting the money was put aside for him.

I'm not really sure you do that, 'set aside' money for a player you may buy in a years time. So that's probably the one fear - the money we're spending on Jones will now not be available for another midfielder. But it's a little too early to worry. With the sales, we're talking about around a 40m expenditure. I still expect us to sign another player.

ffs, if we do get Young does this actually mean we have somebody to take our setpieces?? And somebody who has proven to be good at it in the Prem already? :eek:

He's not that good at taking freekicks as it may seem watching the videos on youtube. In fact I've heard his pretty shit at it and it takes him a lot of attempts to put one in. It may be an improvement for us anyway, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.