A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Lennon's a better and far more explosive player than Young. Only thing the former is lacking is the inability in set-pieces and perhaps the delivery of a good cross when needed.

Sylar

I dont think Young is world class like some are making. And I dont think hes shit like some are saying either.

I think hes good but his ability and talent are being stopped and his growth is being stunted kinda like Downing. A player like him needs to be at a better club who will allow him to grow as a footballer imo.

Man-United

Many here seem to think both Young and Lennon are shite, I think both of them are decent players and well proven for good Premier League teams.

wr8_utd

:'(
Lennon's a better and far more explosive player than Young. Only thing the former is lacking is the inability in set-pieces and perhaps the delivery of a good cross when needed.
What more do you need from a winger? He does not score much either. He's pretty much useless as a winger.
Many here seem to think both Young and Lennon are shite, I think both of them are decent players and well proven for good Premier League teams.
I think Lennon is shite. Young is a very good player imo.

Cold_Boy

Good player but I am not sure he is first team United quality in the long term.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs would be that kind of club who definitly will be in the market for Ashley Young (and Agbonlahor, and Albrighton, and Bannan, and Clark, and Warnock)
Spurs wouldn't be remotely interested in any Villa player with the possible exception of A. Young.

And even then it wouldn't be because Young would readily displace any of our current best XI (he wouldn't), but rather because his versatility (wide left, wide right, playing "in the hole" etc) might provide useful squad options (e.g. Bale at LB - if Ekotto is injured - and Young at LW) and injury cover/improved competition for starting slots

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Spurs wouldn't be remotely interested in any Villa player with the possible exception of A. Young.

And even then it wouldn't be because Young would readily displace any of our current best XI (he wouldn't), but rather because his versatility (wide left, wide right, playing "in the hole" etc) might provide useful squad options (e.g. Bale at LB - if Ekotto is injured - and Young at LW) and injury cover/improved competition for starting slots
Yeah you would just love for him to come to your club and just sit on the bench because he is not going to displace Bale on the left wing even in the wildest of anyone's dreams and I think Lennon is better on the right than Young. He can't play in the hole either as first choice because you have VDV. So basically you want him to come to your club and be a second choice in every position he CAN play when he gets first team football every week at Villa?

RDCR07

Lennon has definitely improved his decision making and his crossing ability over the last 12 months. He passes way better than he did couple of seasons ago.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah you would just love for him to come to your club and just sit on the bench because he is not going to displace Bale on the left wing even in the wildest of anyone's dreams and I think Lennon is better on the right than Young. He can't play in the hole either as first choice because you have VDV. So basically you want him to come to your club and be a second choice in every position he CAN play when he gets first team football every week at Villa?
Yep, that's about the size if it .... just as is case with many players at Man. Utd and other of the Prem's better teams ... players who could be regular first XI starters elsewhere.

Signing Young would relate to improving our squad depth in terms of injury cover, with the added chance that he might displace Lennon if his desire and performance levels outshone the latter.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I don't see any reason why Dunne wouldn't be on Harry's radar and Bannan is a player that should be on everyone's.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I don't see any reason why Dunne wouldn't be on Harry's radar and Bannan is a player that should be on everyone's.
Dunne will be 32 near the start of next season, plus his performance levels have dropped right off. That's solid enough reason.

Besides, even excluding Woodgate and King we still have Gallas, Dawson, Kaboul and Bassong, all of whom are better than Dunne.

Bannan? I can't say I've seen enough of him to form a reasonable judgement. But Spurs already Modric, Huddlestone, Palacios, Jenas, Sandro and VdV and others.

What we need most is a good striker to replace Keane - I'd settle for Suarez.

RDCR07

Dunne will be 32 near the start of next season, plus his performance levels have dropped right off. That's solid enough reason.

Besides, even excluding Woodgate and King we still have Gallas, Dawson, Kaboul and Bassong, all of whom are better than Dunne.
There is no way Bassong is better than Dunne and even Kaboul is not a better centre half than Dunne. Doesn't Kaboul primarily play as a right back?

Carl

There is no way Bassong is better than Dunne and even Kaboul is not a better centre half than Dunne. Doesn't Kaboul primarily play as a right back?
Kaboul has had a few solid games at centre half this season but I still wouldn't have said he was better than Dunne.

Having said that though, I hadn't realised Dunne was 32 :eek:

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He didn't drop right off though, Dunne was just out of sort and Houllier has just tinkered with his backfour causing them to be near the relegation zone...

A.Villa had one of the best defenses last season with Dunne right at the heart.

Not saying that Dunne would make the Spurs back 4 right away, but he'd certainly give the names GS mentioned a run.

Carl

As I mentioned in today's match thread I wouldn't see the point in signing him as he'd be 4th choice IMO. Granted Giggs may call it a day at the end of the season but where does that leave Obertan and more importantly where would it leave Cleverley?

No thanks.

alastair

ignorant
I know it's unfashionable to say so on the Caf, but I really like him. He's quick, good at set pieces, can cross it, and is an all round good player. Big Gooner as well apparently. He gets a lot of unfair criticism.

RDCR07

As I mentioned in today's match thread I wouldn't see the point in signing him as he'd be 4th choice IMO. Granted Giggs may call it a day at the end of the season but where does that leave Obertan and more importantly where would it leave Cleverley?

No thanks.
Erm, I would have Young over Obertan any day of the week.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Never been a big fan of Young. I think he will join the ranks of mediocre english wingers with the likes of Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Downing, Bentley etc and never really arise to much more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't like him. Thought he had potentially early on, but just too inconsistent from the looks of it. There is a general trend of English wingers who are quick but technically lacking and lacking in a football brain. Young seems to be another of those. Just doesn't seem to have enough of the latter two to be a consistently quality player. In patches he's very good.

VoetbalWizard

Never been a big fan of Young. I think he will join the ranks of mediocre english wingers with the likes of Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Downing, Bentley etc and never really arise to much more.
looking at all those names just makes it even more sad what a deal johnson was for 8 million. I thought we should've been in for him from boro. I can't believe city of all clubs landed such a steal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I know it's unfashionable to say so on the Caf, but I really like him. He's quick, good at set pieces, can cross it, and is an all round good player. Big Gooner as well apparently. He gets a lot of unfair criticism.
I would agree with that. He strikes me as a player who will become a very good player if he joins us, I think he would be a good signing for around 15 million. Remember Caf being against the signing of Valencia when we signed him.

Salvation

Damnation
I rate Young very highly and feel he is good enough to play for the top 5. But Spurs (Liverpool even, outside that bunch) aside I don't see any bigger club needing Young. If United sign him, it would virtually be the end of Cleverly, Welbeck, Obertan, Bebe. etc.

RDCR07

I rate Young very highly and feel he is good enough to play for the top 5. But Spurs (Liverpool even, outside that bunch) aside I don't see any bigger club needing Young. If United sign him, it would virtually be the end of Cleverly, Welbeck, Obertan, Bebe. etc.
You can use Welbeck as a striker if Owen leaves this summer and Cleverly can be used in the hole behind the striker. So it is not the end of the pair technically.

redspoony

I don't understand why people seem so opposed to Young signing for United.

He's a player that will only improve. I think any dip in his performance is probably due to his team underperforming.

I think there's more to come from him.

Carl

I don't understand why people seem so opposed to Young signing for United.

He's a player that will only improve. I think any dip in his performance is probably due to his team underperforming.

I think there's more to come from him.
He's 25, he's not gunna get much better than he already is.

It obviously wouldn't be the worst thing ever if he signed for us and I'm actually sure he'd do alright but he's worse than we've already got and he could stunt the growth of someone like Cleverley.

I just don't see the point unless it's for someone of real quality.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I'm not a big fan of Ashley Young, he's far too hit and miss in my opinion.

If we were to sign a Villa winger i'd hope it was Albrighton, looks a real talent. The first game i saw him was the reserve final last season where he tore De Laet apart, and this season he's kicked on really well.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
The reports are saying that A.Young is around 13m, if he goes beyond 16m I reckon we wouldn't sniff at him.

Good player, decent pace, decent cross, good work rate and would be useful to our squad.

Bebe' is now considered a striker,
Obertan looks alot better in the center

Giggs,Park are aging but both will have important roles

and we have Nani/Valencia as our first choice wingers.

Young ? If Giggzy retires this season then maybe, if not I'd rather wait for a new star in the making in the U18 Tournaments, A new Ronaldo/Messi maybe :devil:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quote:
Manchester United plan summer move for Aston Villa forward Ashley Young

Sir Alex Ferguson is plotting a £15m summer move for Ashley Young after failing to lure the Aston Villa winger to Manchester United during the January transfer window.

Wanted man: Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign Aston Villa forward Ashley Young for Manchester United in January

By Mark Ogden 12 Feb 2011
Manchester United plan summer move for Aston Villa forward Ashley Young - Telegraph

Young, who scored in England’s 2-1 victory against Denmark in Copenhagen last week, is understood to be Ferguson’s leading outfield target at the end of the season after being monitored by United since the start of the season.
The 25-year-old is out of contract at Villa Park in June 2012 and has so far rejected Villa’s attempts to extend his deal at the club.

United’s efforts to sign Young in January were rebuffed by Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier but, while refusing to disclose the name of his transfer window target, Ferguson admitted in his programme notes ahead of Saturday’s 2-1 win against Manchester City that renewed efforts will be made to sign the player this summer.

Ferguson said: “We had an interest in one player and I thought we had a chance of bringing him in, but the other parties involved weren’t ready, so we have put it away until the summer.”

Houllier admitted this week that clubs are ‘sniffing around’ Young, but the Frenchman is hopeful that the former Watford player can still be persuaded to stay at Villa Park.

Houllier said: “He (Young) said he would meet the chairman at the end of season and we respect that.

“We know that some clubs could be interested in him but he could also be interested by Aston Villa.”

M160RA

I think Young is a decent player. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he would fit into our system well. In many ways, he'd be a similar acquisition to Valencia - i.e. a reliable player who's well settled in the Premiership but could potentially step up a level at a bigger club. He's not likely to excite fans in the same way that signing Hazard or Sanchez would, but I wouldn't be disappointed unless we payed well over the odds for him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There's absolutely nothing he's better than Valencia at.

lysglimt

Scout
Ashley Young is quality - and if we have him, Nani and Valencia - in addition to Park - we have the best wide-players both in terms of quality and quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.