A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's a bit annoying but the sentiment that we need top top (Jamie Redknapp alert) players to compete as we have previously. Whichever way you 'spin' it, Ashley Young just isn't in that band...yet. But it's a squad game, we'll surely invest further and (like Valencia) SAF sees something that many of us do not.

Can't say I'd be 'over-awed' by the signing but it's far from a 'bad' one. I thought a similar thing about Valencia and was probed wrong, so hoping this will be similar - SAF is the master.

That's the thing though, Barca have clearly demonstrated that that isn't the case, at least not as much as we thought.

I wouldn't call it a bad one either, far from it, it strengthens our squad, it just doesn't bring us any closer to Barca in my opinion.

You need a great squad to win the league, you need a talented first team to win the champions league.

You know what my favorite thing about Barcelona is?....The Cathedrals. Lovely they are.

How much do you reckon we'd need to spend to get as good a Cathedral?

That's the thing though, Barca have clearly demonstrated that that isn't the case, at least not as much as we thought.

I wouldn't call it a bad one either, far from it, it strengthens our squad, it just doesn't bring us any closer to Barca in my opinion.

Barca are a class apart - players who have grown up with each other, know each others games etc. I think 'we' as a forum / club just have to accept that even with unlimited funds, they are almost uncatchable at the minute. They can be beaten and both times they've beaten us, it's been with their attacking force mostly in-tact but their squad defensively was tested to the limit, which shows even Barca need their squad players.

But Barca aren't what we were aiming at all of last season bar one game- this season we almost lost it with having no cover for Valencia and this signing helps in that regard. As I said, obviously I'd prefer a 'world class' talent that would walk into the team but it's unrealistic.

Also just noticed I'd said "probed wrong"....damn iPhone and alcohol!! I can confirm I've never been probed, anally or otherwise.

I think there's an important pattern developing that many people aren't aware of. SAF is creating a very fast team - pretty much all his recent signings have bags of pace. Valencia, Hernandez, Young, Jones, Smalling, Rafael and Fabio, Nani, etc.. I know some of those guys aren't recent signings, but they'll be important parts of the future.

Fast, counter-attack football is the most likely way to beat Barca, although obviously we weren't able to do that. And anyway, the Barca issue is largely irrelevant in the context of the signings. You do not buy players to specifically beat a particular team. I know that's not precisely what some of you are suggesting, but SAF is strengthening the squad, and he's probably not finished, so that's good enough for me.

Besides, I think Young will be an excellent signing. He's technically good, can cross the ball, take set pieces, and his pace down the wing (or through the middle) will be a real asset, which, unlike at Villa, will be exploited to it's full potential at United.

We don't need Young.

But, but...we only have about 5 players who can not only do a job on the wing, but put in class performances!

That's just not fecking good enough!

many see him only as a winger. He can play in CM as a attacking player for sure.

he will be a quality addition to the squad.

the Jones signing is also seen by some as only a defensive CB back up. think we will see a lot of him in a defensive midfield role. Fergie is bringing in players who can play in a couple of positions at least.

many see him only as a winger. He can play in CM as a attacking player for sure.

he will be a quality addition to the squad.

the Jones signing is also seen by some as only a defensive CB back up. think we will see a lot of him in a defensive midfield role. Fergie is bringing in players who can play in a couple of positions at least.

Looks like Capello sees him as a replacement for Lampard, so maybe Ferguson is thinking of playing Young as a CM.

You know what my favorite thing about Barcelona is?....The Cathedrals. Lovely they are.

How much do you reckon we'd need to spend to get as good a Cathedral?

Good thing you don't like Basilicas. Barcelona has one that's been under construction for almost 130 years! We can't wait for that.

We have 7 players left in midfield: Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Nani, Valencia. We probably need 9. We can't spend 30 million on each of those two players. Thus, bargain options like Ashley Young become important. He's a good player, too -- and versatile, and can take set pieces.

Frankly, if we wound up spending 25 million combined on Young and a hot young prospect like Chamberlain, that very well might be a better deal than spending 35 million on Pastore or Hazard.

One of the main reasons I like this transfer is Young can deliver a ball much better then any of our wingers and on a consistent basis. He'll improve our corner to goals ratio considerably because unlike Nani, Giggs and Valencia he can swing in a viciously dipping cross. Nani can do it as well, but he's not as consistent with his delivery as Young is.

How Young does overall is the question though. He tends to blow very hot and cold for me, and I've never got the impression he can remain on his top game for the whole season. Still, with SAF to guide him and better players around him I am feeling a lot more positive about this transfer.

16 million isn't THAT much for a proven player in todays market, so I cosign this transfer and look forward to Young playing on the left side.

THAT SAID. We need a creative midfielder...and hopefully we get that worldclass missing piece to the puzzle real soon.

We have 7 players left in midfield: Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Nani, Valencia. We probably need 9. We can't spend 30 million on each of those two players. Thus, bargain options like Ashley Young become important. He's a good player, too -- and versatile, and can take set pieces.

Frankly, if we wound up spending 25 million combined on Young and a hot young prospect like Chamberlain, that very well might be a better deal than spending 35 million on Pastore or Hazard.

The problem is that the two players you're mentioning are both wingers.

One of the main reasons I like this transfer is Young can deliver a ball much better then any of our wingers and on a consistent basis. He'll improve our corner to goals ratio considerably because unlike Nani, Giggs and Valencia he can swing in a viciously dipping cross. Nani can do it as well, but he's not as consistent with his delivery as Young is.

This is good enough reason to sign him then

He can certainly improve our corner taking. Plus, his crossing from the wing + Chico darting in front of defenders = :drool:

Hopefully we'll announce the Jones deal together with it as well, or at least some update from the club or Fergie himself. Which lefts De Gea and a marquee midfield signing

Can anyone tell me why the price quoted for his purported transfer fee is so high? Isn't he in the last year of his current deal?

I don't think 16m or so is high. The timing does make a difference - drag this deal out until late August and you could get him for less.

I've been reading about announcing this transfer in "48 hours" for a week now, so I'd take the recent report of completing it "before the weekend" with a pinch of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.