A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were supposed to be looking at three players, so that's probably it, yes.

Yeah, if SAF ever spoke the truth with these things... he doesn't.

Also, we didn't want to go for Jones now but were forced into it. There will be a midfielder, I'm certain of that.

We were supposed to be looking at three players, so that's probably it, yes.

I doubt it, it sounds as if we rushed through the Jones deal due to interest from other clubs, Fergie wanted him next summer apparently, De gea and Young and one other midfield player is what im expecting, i dont believe for a moment with Scholes retiring Gibson likely being sold Hargreaves being let go and the obvious inadequacies of our midfield in general Sir alex would leave that area untouched for a another year, it wont happen, you think Fergie would be happy going into a season with our only central midfield options being:

Fletcher
Carrick
Anderson
Giggs
??

We WILL make a midfield signing, whether its the one everyone wants is another matter.

I think we won't panic buy a midfielder, and it will be tough for us to get one at a decent price this Summer seeing as Henderson goes for £20m, and everyone knows how much we need one. We might end up with someone but I won't be shocked if we don't because frankly, there isn't much to buy out there. The likes of Modric and Sneijder seem to be out of reach.

Jones was bought a year sooner than intended.

COCKS ARE STAYING OUT!!!

I think we won't panic buy a midfielder, and it will be tough for us to get one at a decent price this Summer seeing as Henderson goes for £20m, and everyone knows how much we need one. We might end up with someone but I won't be shocked if we don't because frankly, there isn't much to buy out there. The likes of Modric and Sneijder seem to be out of reach.

Maybe, maybe not, who expected us to spend 16 million on 19 year old Phil Jones 24 hours ago? whether its a Modric or a Sneijder or a Defour Diarra or a Banega whoever we will make a signing in that area out of plain necessity if nothing else, you cant go into a season with only 4 recognised centre midfield players one of whom being a 37 year old transformed wide player who in all likelihood is in the last year of his career.

If people think SAF will leave our midfield quite devoid of creativity and you know, players then that's madness. Infact, I'd say if we didn't buy a CM then SAF has immense belief in Cleverley which in of itself is very, very exciting.

Stop panicking.

Our midfield's blatantly needed strengthening for about three years though.

Ever since Hargreaves turned out not to be the midfield enforcer that he never actually was.

A replacement for a player that barely played from January onwards?

Still, we had six players for central midfield last season - if Gibson leaves, we're down to four with one of them being a 37-year-old winger.

We've had problems in terms of quality in central midfield but now we're having them in terms of quantity as well. I'm still not sure we'll buy a central midfielder but hell we need at least one and preferably two.

Does anyone seriously think in a window where we're likely letting 3 of last seasons midfielders leave we wont sign anyone in that position?

Yes

EDIT: 3? Gibson, Scholes, ???

VDS, Neville, O'Shea (maybe), Brown. Who's the third?

I can't for the life of me understand how after all this time, people are HOPING that a deal our manager WANTS falls through.

Actually it's very much like us,

Last summer we got the deals for Smalling & Hernandez done before the WC
Summer before that we got the Valencia deal tied up very quickly
Summer before that granted we had the long drawn out Berbatov transfer
Summer before that we got Nani, Anderson & Hargreaves done and dusted very early on as well

The worrying thing is that with De Gea already done, Jones already done & Young seemingly done is that it for the summer???

It's not just the players coming in, but so many players leaving as well - it's a complete overhaul. I didn't expect changes of this magnitude on the back of a season where team spirit and togetherness was one of our greatest assets - I really thought we would stay mostly the same, but I suppose the retirements & other clubs bidding for players we really wanted have forced our hand a bit.

2 retirements (I won't include Gary Nev as he retired months ago), 3 former academy players who have been at the club for years possibly moving on, seemingly 3 new players confirmed as arriving, several youngsters coming back from being on loan (although some may go back out again) .... it will be a very different squad next season. We don't tend to make wholesale changes like that, it's rather strange.

Yes

EDIT: 3? Gibson, Scholes, ???

VDS, Neville, O'Shea (maybe), Brown. Who's the third?

Hargreaves who this time last year we hadnt given up on.

Ill have a wager with you right now if you like, not a chance in hell we'll wave goodbye to Scholes/Hargreaves/Gibson in the same window and go into next season with Fletcher/Carrick/Anderson/Giggs as our 4 only recognised midfield players at the club.

Thank christ your not the manager.

Our midfield's blatantly needed strengthening for about three years though.

Ever since Hargreaves turned out not to be the midfield enforcer that he never actually was.

There was a false sense of optimism prevailing around Hargreaves at the time though and as we know, Sir Alex tried to do his best and put his belief on a Hargreaves return that never happened, well, it did, but wasn't really a return at all.

So, I think looking back over the last 3 seasons, Sir Alex expected Hargreaves return, he expected Anderson to really, really kick on and he didn't expect Carrick and Fletcher to nose-dive in form in '09.

That we will sign a midfielder. You just said that we won't.

Well to be honest I wouldn't have imagined Fergie will sign someone just to make up the numbers (i.e. Adam), so surely he'll only sign players that he feels will improve us

No need for that, I dont believe for one second we can afford to go into next season with Fletcher, Carrick & Anderson as the only recognised centre midfielders even with Giggs and Park around as well

I just dont buy into any of the rumours about Sniejder, Modric or Nasri who seem to be the only 3 we're being linked with

No need for that, I dont believe for one second we can afford to go into next season with Fletcher, Carrick & Anderson as the only recognised centre midfielders even with Giggs and Park around as well

I just dont buy into any of the rumours about Sniejder, Modric or Nasri who seem to be the only 3 we're being linked with

Fair enough, i think we're in for a very big summer myself, and thats not being wise after the events of recent days i said this months ago, shades of summer 07 for me.

Sky Bet has suspended bets apparently on Young coming to United, didn't they do the same with Liverpool and Phil Jones yesterday?......

Hargreaves who this time last year we hadnt given up on.

Ill have a wager with you right now if you like, not a chance in hell we'll wave goodbye to Scholes/Hargreaves/Gibson in the same window and go into next season with Fletcher/Carrick/Anderson/Giggs as our 4 only recognised midfield players at the club.

I would tend to agree with you but the fact that we are getting Cleverley back and the fact that Jones is very capable as a DM might lead to us not signing another CM.. Although the only reason we wouldn't sign was if we missed out on the signing or cant afford the alternate options etc..

Young is going to be a great signing, just like Valencia was. He's better technically, but puts in a good shift too. Think people are going to be really happy with this.

Still need a creative CM though.

Cleverly plays left wing doesn't he? Has he ever played CM for Wigan?

Jones I'm sure if being brought in as a CB not a viable midfield option

This is one of those threads where peoples negative posts are going to be bumped throughout the next 4 years whenever he plays well.

Status
Not open for further replies.