A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update is that his representatives have spoken with United

You're underestimating our players imo.

My belief is that United creates world class players; that playing for United improves players, often dramatically. You've drastically underestimated Nani in the above post; a player who came on against Barcelona and did very well. Nani has heaps of "fantasy". Valencia on the other hand is consistent, efficient and effective. Ashley Young, in terms of playing style, is somewhere between the two, only he can also play through the middle to great effect as well, something which neither of the above have ever really shown (though I believe Valencia has played there before at national level, SAF has shown no indication of wanting to emulate that position for him at United). Ability wise I don't feel there's all that much between them; they're all three top quality attacking players imo.

I totally agree on the "United creating world class players" point. And to an extent, we've seen Nani and Valencia bought in at a youngish age and we've seen both improve a fair bit under Ferguson's tutelage.

Young's a different kettle of fish - nearly 26 years old - and I'm not sure whether there's genuine scope for improvement in his game. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice, especially since players can mature at later stages, but I just don't really see how his game can be developed to any great degree.

The fee looks like it'll be between £15-20m. I just feel that it'd be money better spent elsewhere. I think we're handsomely enough endowed on the flanks to not have to worry about signing another one. That said, if he does arrive, I'll fully back him and I think he will become a very good performer for us.

if ashley young signs without nani leaving.....good signing (though it seems it'll be closer to 20 million than 15...which is insane for someone in their last year of their contract).

if ashley young signs and this paves the way for nani to leave.....utter shit signing.

I totally agree on the "United creating world class players" point. And to an extent, we've seen Nani and Valencia bought in at a youngish age and we've seen both improve a fair bit under Ferguson's tutelage.

Young's a different kettle of fish - nearly 26 years old - and I'm not sure whether there's genuine scope for improvement in his game. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice, especially since players can mature at later stages, but I just don't really see how his game can be developed to any great degree.

The fee looks like it'll be between £15-20m. I just feel that it'd be money better spent elsewhere. I think we're handsomely enough endowed on the flanks to not have to worry about signing another one. That said, if he does arrive, I'll fully back him and I think he will become a very good performer for us.

Vidic and Evra came in at age 25 and I would say they have improved a bit during their time with United. There is probably still things Young can get better at despite being at the ancient age of 26.

if ashley young signs without nani leaving.....good signing (though it seems it'll be closer to 20 million than 15...which is insane for someone in their last year of their contract).

if ashley young signs and this paves the way for nani to leave.....utter shit signing.

Not necessarily. They're of a similar level.

FFS Nani is going nowhere, stop worrying about such a stupid rumour, why the feck would Nani go to Juventus for heavens sake??? think about it for a moment.

This would be a great addition to the team, Young has really come on in the last 12 months especially at international level, and he offers a genuine high quality solution to our abysmal set piece play which is more than welcome, its a very similar deal to that of Valencia who i think we all agree has been a revelation since signing for us and i think its clear Young has more natural talent and flair to his game than Valencia.

Pretty sure we don't need him.

Also pretty sure that a player of Young's ability that isn't English would probably cost us about £8million less.

Great.

No they aren't. Nani is a much superior player to Young. I think Young would improve under us, massively, but never to Nani's ability.

I don't think Young signing will have that much effect on Nani anyway, he's clearly one of our best players. Before his injury and resting, he was without a doubt our best player, and even Valencia with the insane form he brought to the latter end of our campaign, still couldn't come close to the performances Nani was putting in for most of the season.

Young is a good buy, and will give us solid cover in more than one position, but it won't be at the expense of a player who is much better than him.

Not necessarily. They're of a similar level.

Bollox. Nani can do things with a ball that Young can only dream of.

Young is a very good player mind.

Short memories some fans, do remember that our players voted Nani as our player of the season, that's how good he was for much of it and Young isn't capable of getting to THAT level, not many players are.

Very good free-kicks as well.

Looks like he's also coming then. Not bad - he's a good age and English and will give us something a bit different.

Did not expect such a busy start to the transfer window for us - it's just not like us! Bit of a revolving door just now. It's taking some getting used to.

Bollox. Nani can do things with a ball that Young can only dream of.

Young is a very good player mind.

Short memories some fans, do remember that our players voted Nani as our player of the season, that's how good he was for much of it and Young isn't capable of getting to THAT level, not many players are.

I don't have a short memory. Nani produced great form over the past 18 months. But I've always been very consistent in my view of him. He's not so good that he's indispensable; as shown by him being dropped in the run-in.

The run in after he was injured and rested, and quite clearly never fully recovered from?

What about the majority of the season where he carried us for lengthy spells, and consistently was our best player?

I really don't think money is much of an issue.

Very good free-kicks as well.

Looks like he's also coming then. Not bad - he's a good age and English and will give us something a bit different.

Did not expect such a busy start to the transfer window for us - it's just not like us! Bit of a revolving door just now. It's taking some getting used to.

Actually it's very much like us,

Last summer we got the deals for Smalling & Hernandez done before the WC
Summer before that we got the Valencia deal tied up very quickly
Summer before that granted we had the long drawn out Berbatov transfer
Summer before that we got Nani, Anderson & Hargreaves done and dusted very early on as well

The worrying thing is that with De Gea already done, Jones already done & Young seemingly done is that it for the summer???

I'd be surprised if SAF didn't buy a midfielder. Infact, certain important parties are currently on holiday, so it's no surprise we are tying up the easy stuff early.

I don't have a short memory. Nani produced great form over the past 18 months. But I've always been very consistent in my view of him. He's not so good that he's indispensable; as shown by him being dropped in the run-in.

We won't sell Nani. Any rumors that may crop up will be because of this and other people speculating. He's a great player and is still young enough to improve even more. What I like is him and Bervatov say the right things. Neither complained, neither sulk or demand anything and that attitude helps them. Why would the club want to lose that? I think if Nani was moaning etc, then naturally there'd be a problem but he's matured a lot and credit to him, he's never been anything but straight forward in what he's said unlike certain Portugese players

Yep, this early activity surely means that:

a) We're getting some deals done now, to leave more time for more complex, 'bigger' deals. Or...

b) We're doing our business early because...*sobs*...there won't be any big deals for flashy foreign players, leaving the Muppet Nation in mourning 'til January.

Actually it's very much like us,

Last summer we got the deals for Smalling & Hernandez done before the WC
Summer before that we got the Valencia deal tied up very quickly
Summer before that granted we had the long drawn out Berbatov transfer
Summer before that we got Nani, Anderson & Hargreaves done and dusted very early on as well

The worrying thing is that with De Gea already done, Jones already done & Young seemingly done is that it for the summer???

We were supposed to be looking at three players, so that's probably it, yes.

If people think SAF will leave our midfield quite devoid of creativity and you know, players then that's madness. Infact, I'd say if we didn't buy a CM then SAF has immense belief in Cleverley which in of itself is very, very exciting.

Stop panicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.