A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that they are more likely to work out, but good players can make it everywhere. For months, SAF has been complaining about no value in the market, strongly suggesting that we are not exactly in the financial position to splash out huge sums on mediocre players. But now we are spending 18 millions pounds on Young, when someone of Sneijder's quality has cost Inter Milan only about 15 million euros? We can discuss it all day long, but at the end of the day we are overpaying.

Nani was brillant and promising player and even in those days you could see that he would become world-class one day. There are players that ooze talent and skill and when you see them, you have to buy them because otherwise you'd regret it. Sure, it took Nani time to find his consistency but when he did, he turned to be one of our best players, whereas Young is a big fish in a small pond.

According to the information thread they bought him for 9m and are planning to sell him to us for 18m. Either way, it doesn't really matter, it's simply too much.

In your mind maybe.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he's English would it?

Lailani do you really think Valencia was a much better player before he signed for us than Ashley Young is now?

At the end of the day if Fergie thinks he's a good fit for the squad then the price is irrelevant. Transfer fees are based on nothing more than hype and speculation.

We should be discussing if he's a fit for our squad rather than "He's not worth 18 million" or whatever price Lailani wants to randomly select.

Still not sure he'd be a fit for us. But Fergie knows best obviously.

Valencia's arguably not as good as Nani but took his place in our biggest games this season. There's no doubt signing Young increases the chance of Nani spending time on the bench. Competition for places is always a good thing though.

Mainly because Nani got injured and never really recovered.

He's more of a threat to Valencia than Nani because Valencia offers nothing on the left and is purely a right winger (well, right back too the odd time)

And Nani is better than both of them.

I think if Young comes this summer Nani is gone next summer if not sooner.

He's more of a threat to Valencia than Nani because Valencia offers nothing on the left and is purely a right winger (well, right back too the odd time)

I don't really get your logic. I think there is room for all 3 of them and Park in the squad, but the addition of Young will reduce the chances for all of them.

If he wants games he'll need to be, that's for sure.

He wasn't better than either of them in the closing weeks of the season, as I said.

feck off.

You have a complaint about any signing we do make - 'We pay more for a ropey looking Smalling than City do for an international class Boateng' or 'We sell Pique for £5m yet buy Jones for £16m...strange business, value' or 'Barca go out and spend £30m on Villa to add to their world class attack and yet we go in for some unknown Mexican' - and countless that we don't, every summer. How about a bit of positivity once in a while?

Have we had any recent updates regarding this transfer or are same articles being reprinted again and again?.

I don't think we'd be after Young, though he does have his positives. While he has been good playing in the "rooney" role in the past season, with rooney/berbatov/hernandez along with Welbeck and Macheda to rotate around, Young would have much of a chance playing the Rooney role. And we are quite well stocked out wide too, Nani, Valencia and Park providing us a varied attack and Young wouldn't displace our two best wingers in Nani and Valencia.

Of course i'd be shown as a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime if the deal does go through, but IMO i don't think its going to happen.

Blair in being a gimp in a transfer thread, shocker!

I think if Young comes this summer Nani is gone next summer if not sooner.

That's what worries me. Nani is surely such a talent that we should be looking into playing in him in every game possible from now on. Park is already displacing him in the big matches, which worries me enough as it is.

Nani is potentially our best player. I don't think the difference in talent beteen him and Rooney is enough to even discuss, and I just feel we should be building a squad with this in mind.

At the end of next season I'm going to bump this thread so we can laugh at all the idiots who think this won't be a good signing.

I reckon he'll prove to be the no.1 winger on the team sheet.

He has quality.

Latest I have seen regarding Young. His agent is said to have been at Carrington yesterday to discuss personal terms. All tomorrows papers claim it's happening soon, within 48 hours or after his wedding this weekend. Fee £15-£16 million.

If he wants games he'll need to be, that's for sure.

He wasn't better than either of them in the closing weeks of the season, as I said.
Seriously? The lad has been top class since the beginning of 2010, but has one or two tired months, and suddenly he's on par with Young?

Ashley Young is very good, but let's not pretend that he's reached Nani's heights!
You have a complaint about any signing we do make - 'We pay more for a ropey looking Smalling than City do for an international class Boateng' or 'We sell Pique for £5m yet buy Jones for £16m...strange business, value' or 'Barca go out and spend £30m on Villa to add to their world class attack and yet we go in for some unknown Mexican' - and countless that we don't, every summer. How about a bit of positivity once in a while?
Are those actual quotes? There's something fascinating about people who never ever learn.

Whether some people like it or not, neither Valencia nor Young are anywhere near as good as Nani nor will they ever have his talent or reach his heights. He's unpredictable, he's skilful, he has an amazing quality about him and he oozes class and flair as opposed to mediocrity.

I've got nothing against Young, he's a solid player but for a squad player too pricey and there's not much hope that he's going to get better, because more likely than not he has already reached his peak.

If we really want to buy someone for the wings, it should be someone who a) is as good as Nani and b) compliments him. If you have someone as good as him in your squad, every step you take (transfers, team selection) should do him favours and not hinder his abilities or his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.