A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't even post the entire bit... The last part is quite revealing incase Bent mentioning Man Utd wasn't enough..

Players never seem to really know what's happening with other players alleged transfer deals. They just read the papers same as everyone else.

Players never seem to really know what's happening with other players alleged transfer deals. They just read the papers same as everyone else.

Eh? I'm going out on a limb here but I think there's a fair chance that international team-mates spending a few days in a hotel together might not have to rely on the back page of the Sun to find out about each other's possible career moves.

Eh? I'm going out on a limb here but I think there's a fair chance that international team-mates spending a few days in a hotel together might not have to rely on the back page of the Sun to find out about each other's possible career moves.

Players come out with shite so often. Remember Benzemas team mate saying he had signed for United and everyone going mental?

It's pretty damn obvious that Young has told Bent we're interested in him.

I don't like the way players feel the need to blab these days though, unprofessional in my view.

You really don't want Young, do you, charley?

I'm a bit indifferent. I rate him, but not sure he's what we need right now.

What I don't like is when people do not apply any critical thinking to transfer speculation in the papers. People seem to take it for granted that United want him. But where's the proof? It's just as likely that Liverpool are the only big club showing real interest.

What I don't like is when people do not apply any critical thinking to transfer speculation in the papers. People seem to take it for granted that United want him. But where's the proof? It's just as likely that Liverpool are the only big club showing real interest.

Not really. Those quotes from Bent leave no doubt we're in for him. He's a team-mate for club and country and he gave those quotes in an open session attended by lots of different journos.

I'm not sure why you're so determined to pretend there's nothing in this but it's clear as day United are interested in signing him.

There's no proof, obviously, but everything seems to indicate we are interested.

You've brought up the Benzema example when a teammate (Pjanic, wasn't it?) talked shite to the press. That's a poor example imho, as our interest in Benzema was genuine, we just lost out to Real Madrid.

Here are some Ashley Young stats from today's Daily Mail to colour the debate a little:

Ashley Young is increasingly demonstrating his worth to England and showing why Manchester United and Liverpool are in hot pursuit of him. Refreshingly he seems to thrive, rather than buckle, under the pressure of playing for his country.
Young has two goals in three internationals and three assists in eight games for England this season.
Against Switzerland he had the most shots (four) and most touches in the opposition box (four) of any player on the pitch, despite only playing a half.
This season he averaged nearly two shots, and created at least one chance in each international.
He has scored seven goals and made 10 assists in 34 League games for Aston Villa this season and created more than two chances per game.
He sent over 247 crosses for Villa this season, more than seven a match.
Young is doubly likely to complete a dribble in an England shirt, finishing 42 per cent of his 26 attempts compared to 21 per cent of 86 for his club side.
He has an 82 per cent pass completion rate for England, up from 71 per cent for Villa this season.
He scores every 319 minutes for England, compared to every 436 minutes for Villa in 2010-11.

Read more: England's end of season report on all 36 of Fabio Capello's players | Mail Online

I think the fear of us signing Young and no central midfield player is the reason for some posters' negative reactions.

Personally I don't feel that he's particularly great, but his flexibility will be a big thing for Ferguson. And chances are, playing on a bigger stage with better players will bring improvements from him.

I think, like Valencia before him, he'll flourish at United. Our delivery into the box has been very mixed at best in the last couple of seasons and I think he'd improve this aspect as well as chipping in with between 6 and 10 goals a season too.

I'd be very happy with Young, Modric/Sneijder, De Gea and maybe a young cheap defensive player like Verane this summer.

Not really. Those quotes from Bent leave no doubt we're in for him. He's a team-mate for club and country and he gave those quotes in an open session attended by lots of different journos.

I'm not sure why you're so determined to pretend there's nothing in this but it's clear as day United are interested in signing him.

As a matter of interest, what was the question that Bent was responding to?

I think, like Valencia before him, he'll flourish at United. Our delivery into the box has been very mixed at best in the last couple of seasons and I think he'd improve this aspect as well as chipping in with between 6 and 10 goals a season too.

I'd be very happy with Young, Modric/Sneijder, De Gea and maybe a young cheap defensive player like Verane this summer.

What we saw with Valencia in the Champions League final is that it's no good having wingers that can deliver the ball well if they don't get the ball in good positions. To an extent, the ability of the wingers to thrive is going to be dependent on the ability of the central midfield to supply them with the ball.

I wouldn't be averse to us signing Young, though it wouldn't get my pulse racing, but I would hate to see us not strengthen in the middle of the park.

I do think it would give us great options to really pack the team with attacking intent for certain home games - there's no need to go overly defensive in such matches. For instance, we could field Nani, Valencia and possibly Young infield.

Players come out with shite so often. Remember Benzemas team mate saying he had signed for United and everyone going mental?

You've brought up the Benzema example when a teammate (Pjanic, wasn't it?) talked shite to the press. That's a poor example imho, as our interest in Benzema was genuine, we just lost out to Real Madrid.

No it wasn't Pjanic.. It was some other lesser player from the Lyon squad. Also those quotes were fabricated.. The player came out a few days after the news broke claiming that he had made no such claims and that it was completely untrue..

Also unless these Bent quotes are made up I am quite certain we are definitely interested.. Either that or he is interested in joining us.. Also it doesn't mean its certain that we will sign all players we are interested in.. We can maintain an interest and still have no immediate intention on buying him.. We may or may not be looking at other players too..

But in this case I have a feeling both parties are interested and the Transfer should go through unless we decide to buy someone else instead.

No it wasn't Pjanic.. It was some other lesser player from the Lyon squad. Also those quotes were fabricated.. The player came out a few days after the news broke claiming that he had made no such claims and that it was completely untrue..

Also unless these Bent quotes are made up I am quite certain we are definitely interested.. Either that or he is interested in joining us.. Also it doesn't mean its certain that we will sign all players we are interested in.. We can maintain an interest and still have no immediate intention on buying him.. We may or may not be looking at other players too..

But in this case I have a feeling both parties are interested and the Transfer should go through unless we decide to buy someone else instead.

It was Pjanic but yeah, it turned out the quotes were fabricated.

Pjanic: I never said Benzema would sign for United - ESPN Soccernet

Still, they did sign Lisandro Lopez (as he had indicated they would) and our interest in Benzema was genuine.

Well according to one of these Twitter ITK's :rolleyes: this is the latest...

To briefly answer your questions... #mufc Modric being discussed, no offer made yet. Young expected by the end of the week

I'd be estatic with this as well.

All the odds mean is that loads of people are betting on it, and that's caused by all the speculation which we already know about. The odds don't mean anything.

"He has played the last four internationals and got three man of the matches so he is on fire at the moment.

"I have always said the best player I have played with club-wise was Luka Modric at Tottenham but Ash can't be too far behind now, if not on a par with him."

Would be lying if I said I didnt get a raging Tom Joner from reading the words of Bent today

Ashley Young's £15m move from Aston Villa to Manchester United is expected to go through in 48 hours.

US tycoon Lerner’s other priority is cashing in on Young.

The England winger, 25, is expected to complete a £16million transfer to Manchester United later this month.

Villa are being forced to sell as Young has just 12 months left on the contract he signed on his arrival from Watford in January 2007.

Shit, his price is skyrocketing. BUY, FERGIE! BUY NOW!

£15m is about right, £20m would be too high!!

Quality player tho.

How much would he be worth if he had a 3 year contract?

I've always rated him but even if we needed a winger and he was tied down for that long I wouldn't pay £20 million for him.

Living in Brum, I've asked a few Villa fans I know what the news is at their end. As far as they're concerned he's off, but most think to Liverpool.

How much would he be worth if he had a 3 year contract?

I've always rated him but even if we needed a winger and he was tied down for that long I wouldn't pay £20 million for him.

I'd say 3 years left on his contract and the fact he's English yeah 20m sounds about right for him really couldn't envision him ever being sold for more than that

Living in Brum, I've asked a few Villa fans I know what the news is at their end. As far as they're concerned he's off, but most think to Liverpool.

A testament to what a transfer story will do to you I'm now at a point where I'll be disappointed if he goes there even if he comes here and is only a squad player

Status
Not open for further replies.