A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that just some random bloke on Twitter?

He's got a lot of followers for just being some random. You'd think most bullshitters would've been called out long before they got that many. I've only started following recently so I guess we'll see how "in the know" he really is. Seems to talk the talk, but so does your typical Daily Mail journalist, who get about 1 out of 100 rumours right.

Ashley admits to big ambitions - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News, Results and Fixtures

Ashley Young has admitted he watched the Champions League final on Saturday desperately wishing he had been part of the action.

With a year left on his contract and a number of top clubs said to be showing an interest, Young deliberately avoided any in-depth discussion of his future at England's Watford training base on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old confirmed he intends to meet the Aston Villa hierarchy on Monday to talk through his plans, although that situation has been made even more complicated given manager Gerard Houllier is likely to have left the club by then.

However, Young's assessment of Manchester United's defeat to Barcelona gave the game away, with subsequent statements reaffirming a desire to take his career to a level Villa simply cannot reach at the moment.
"I watched Saturday's game as a player that wished I was out there playing," he said.

"As a kid you always want to play in the biggest competitions. I was no different.

"Of course Barcelona are the best team but, for Manchester United to get to the Champions League final as well, it must mean that we have got teams in this country that can match the best in Europe."

Sir Alex Ferguson would have been heartened by those words if he is intent on following up his initial interest by making a firm offer for the former Watford star.

Young insists his focus remains on England. Yet he is clearly not oblivious to the swirl of gossip going on around him.

"I have always said I am going to talk to the chairman and manager after this game," he said.

"I have given 100% in every game I have played for Aston Villa. I am away with England now and my focus is fully on Switzerland.
"We know it is going to be a massive game but it is always nice to have speculation."

Liverpool are also in the hunt for Young's services following his most consistent club season yet.

That form has been transferred onto the international stage too.
Young's last three performances have been his best in an England shirt, which, given the lack of strikers available to coach Fabio Capello, should ensure he starts this weekend.

"The last 12 months have gone really well for me," he said.
"It has been a weird season and a lot has happened but I feel I have progressed.

"I always set myself goals and targets from the start of the season and I have reached quite a few of them.

"I prefer to keep them to myself and tick them off in my head.
"But one aim is to be a regular starter in the national team. Hopefully I will be in the team again on Saturday."

A year ago, Young was coming to terms with the disappointment of being one of the players axed from Capello's provisional World Cup squad.
The heartache was enormous.

Yet at no stage did it affect his confidence, nor did Young concur with the Italian's belief that he lost an edge to his game when he pulled on the Three Lions.

"I didn't feel that," said Young. "I have never doubted my ability.
"There will always be people who do and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

"But my opinion is that I can play in the biggest and best competitions.
"I always want to challenge myself. To challenge myself is to play in them big competitions - hopefully one day I will be able to do that."
More bad news for Villa it seems, with Young confirming he expects to be hitting the highest points of his career during the time his next contract will cover.

"That is right," he said.

"I have grown as a man every season.

"I am getting older and am starting to become wiser.

"You see a bigger picture. I am 26 soon. As long as I keep continuing to take the work I am putting in during training onto the pitch I am sure I can keep growing.

"Fingers crossed I can start peaking at the right time."

He is off to Liverpool if BBC are to be believed...

Manchester United target Ashley Young has made a decision on where his future lies, and has chosen to sign a deal with Liverpool, according to BBC Radio.

Young’s future with Aston Villa has been dicey all season, and after Dalglish took a liking to both Young and teammate Stuart Downing, the Liverpool manager was reportedly hoping he might be able to offer Villa a sum they can’t refuse.

Young recently said he was hopeful of signing with a club that would be able to offer Champions League football, putting Manchester United ahead to secure the 25-year-old.

But while Liverpool aren’t playing European football in any capacity next season, Dalglish is still confident he can secure Young’s signature with a long term plan to take the history-rich club back to their glory days.

The January signings of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, along with the permanent signing of Dalglish as Liverpool manager, appear to have shown Young that the Merseryside club is serious in their ambitions to challenge for trophies.

While reports are circulating that Manchester United have a £50 million summer budget to splash on new talent, The Daily Mail is reporting that Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to pay the £16 million asking price for Young, and would rather bring younger, fresher talent to the Manchester United camp.

This leaves Dalglish in the hot seat to cough up the fee for Young, who looks to be all but exiting his current club.

When they say BBC they mean mcgarry on the Monday night club, as previously discussed. On the basis of his word we are signing sneijder and neymar.

I really hope we don't get the lad. We should be setting our sights far higher. This lad will add nothing to us at the very top level.

The only thing different I think he offers us is set piece delivery.

The only thing different I think he offers us is set piece delivery.

He's a versatile and good squad player for the wings or behind the striker(s), sure he won't suddenly fix all the problems but he'll be a solid addition to the squad I reckon.

I really hope we don't get the lad. We should be setting our sights far higher. This lad will add nothing to us at the very top level.

His signing makes a lot of sense, versatile, young and English, without the typical English price tag.

As for us setting our sights higher, well we're easily the second best team in Europe. There isn't anyone or any number of players we could sign that would take us above Barcelona. Madrid spent £250m in the last two years on the likes of Ronaldo and Kaka and they're not on Barca's level, heck, they're a level below us.

Our main focus should and will be the league and if you want to win the premier league you need players like Young. There's no way we could beat Barcelona outright, what they have there has been the product of decades of hard work, there's no quick fix for that.

His signing makes a lot of sense, versatile, young and English, without the typical English price tag.

As for us setting our sights higher, well we're easily the second best team in Europe. There isn't anyone or any number of players we could sign that would take us above Barcelona. Madrid spent £250m in the last two years on the likes of Ronaldo and Kaka and they're not on Barca's level, heck, they're a level below us.

Our main focus should and will be the league and if you want to win the premier league you need players like Young. There's no way we could beat Barcelona outright, what they have there has been the product of decades of hard work, there's no quick fix for that.

Well he's not really that young is he? 26 now, and I think turns 27 pretty soon...

I'm quite sure nothing will be done before England-Switzerland. Next week there should be a decision.

Madrid are hardly a level below us, I'd say we're both on par with eachother.

In the last four years, we've reached 3 CL finals and a quarter final, they've only made it past the first knock out round once in that time.

They may have the individual talent to be on par with us but as a team, we're a level above them.

Aston Villa forward Ashley Young is keeping his club future on hold while he concentrates on his international duties.

The winger is reportedly the subject of a £16 million approach from Manchester United.

However, the Villa star has insisted he has still to decide and will not do so until after England’s clash with Switzerland on Saturday.

He said: "To be honest, I've said I'll speak to the manager (Gerard Houllier) and chairman (Randy Lerner) at the end of the season.

“I've got to concentrate on this game and then we'll see what happens regarding talking to them after this game."

Young has only 12 months remaining of his current contract and is expected to complete a move to Old Trafford sooner rather than later.

Ashley Young to decide on Manchester United move after England qualifier > Manchester United > Sport | Click Manchester

If, when he plays, he gives you the options of actually being dangerous through set pieces, that's an improvement right there. And it's not as if he's a clueless winger who can only deliever a dead ball. As a package, he has quite a lot to offer.

I stand corrected - tricky age, not sure how much more developing he can/will do, but equally, we could get four seasons from him and still sell him for a decent price.

I know that we are not the richest club around, but why is it that our fans are so preoccupied with how much we can get for players?

It´s a done deal according to a lot of Aston Villa fans.

First contact was in January, Fergie wanted Young but Aston Villa wanted 25m for him.

Young will sign for Man Utd after the England game.

We shall see, but even if the transfer will take place, I don't think it's a done deal already.

There isn't actually any concrete movement on this.

There is a possibility that after the CL final SAF has realized the bar has been set a notch higher than he probably expected.

First contact was in January, Fergie wanted Young but Aston Villa wanted 25m for him.

Villa fans only have access to the same info as other fans, they're not privy to the dealings of the club, they know nothing more than us.

I know that we are not the richest club around, but why is it that our fans are so preoccupied with how much we can get for players?

They're not, but according to the club, re-sale value is a factor considered in transfers. So age and re-sale value makes a signing more, or less, likely.

They're not, but according to the club, re-sale value is a factor considered in transfers. So age and re-sale value makes a signing more, or less, likely.

Did the club really mention re-sale value?

I remember it more along the lines of signing young players and developing them, rather than paying a fortune for established stars. I don't remember re-sale value ever being mentioned.

Did the club really mention re-sale value?

I remember it more along the lines of signing young players and developing them, rather than paying a fortune for established stars. I don't remember re-sale value ever being mentioned.

Alluded to here, and probably elsewhere I'd imagine:

The policy decision follows the Glazers' introduction of a new rule that stipulates the club will not buy players aged 26 or above for significantly large transfer fees, the reason being that they will have little or no re-sale value at the end of a contract taking them into their 30s. Dimitar Berbatov was signed from Tottenham Hotspur for £30.75m at the age of 27 two years ago but that was as an exception to the rule and, in the words of Gill, the "last of his kind".

Manchester United gamble on future of stars with new contract policy | Football | guardian.co.uk

. Madrid spent £250m in the last two years on the likes of Ronaldo and Kaka and they're not on Barca's level, heck, they're a level below us.

I wouldn't be so sure, I think Madrid would have had a good chance to reach the final if they'd been on our side of the schedule while we take on barca in the semis, which would have been the end for us.

I remember similar rumours about Milner.

I stand corrected - tricky age, not sure how much more developing he can/will do, but equally, we could get four seasons from him and still sell him for a decent price.

Guys like Carvalho, Deco and Drogba came from nowhere and turned into world class players around 25-26. I'm not saying Young will turn into a superstar just that players can still improve despite being over 25. I think Liverpool might still try and snatch him though.

I believe one of them (He`s a insider of the club) because he was right about MON`s sacking, Houllier will leave Aston Villa because of his health and some other transfers like espcially Bent.

So what you are saying is that he is gonna get sacked for making one of the signings of the season ? Without Bent - Villa would have been relegated - and he will guarantee them 15-20 goals each season

In the last four years, we've reached 3 CL finals and a quarter final, they've only made it past the first knock out round once in that time.

They may have the individual talent to be on par with us but as a team, we're a level above them.

Yes we've been a level above them the last few seasons but this season we've been pretty much equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.