A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giggs has enjoyed some what of an 'indian summer' to his career though. These last couple of seasons he's been fantastic, but there was a substantial period prior to that when he really wasn't all that pivotal to what was going on. That began to change really only quite recently as 2008/09. He really wasn't a 'vital player' during our last CL winning sides.

Immense in 06/07.

Immense in 06/07.

True. Yet in someways is the 'reintroduction' of Ryan Giggs as a 'vital' cog in the wheel (aside from the 'all cogs are vital' stuff) an indication of how far we've perhaps regressed in recent times?

I'm not argument that we've gone backwards a huge deal, we're still champions of England and the second best team on the continent, but there was a period where we had seemingly moved 'beyond' Giggs, almost to the stage where we have now, largely moved 'beyond' Scholes. It cannot be entirely satisfactory that we're not no longer in that position with the player. Regardless of how fantastic he is or how great a season he has had, I cannot help but think that if this was an ideal situation (and who can pick them in football), Giggs would have carried on being 'supporting cast' as he was back during our last CL winning run, on par with what Scholes has been this season.

Well thanks. Not too fussed about this signing anyway ;)

I don't get that. People are too quick to dismiss him. It was similar when Valencia game too. He's a good player and will do a job with us. People say that he's being brought in as merely 'back-up', but I'm not so sure.

I don't get that. People are too quick to dismiss him. It was similar when Valencia game too. He's a good player and will do a job with us. People say that he's being brought in as merely 'back-up', but I'm not so sure.

Nah mate I'm not dismissing him. I have seen way too less from him to judge him.
Still can't get myself to get really excited about it though. MOst likely it's not because of him but because I think that we have other areas in our squad where we need reinforcment more urgent

If he is being brought in as first choie then it's either Nani, Valencia, Rooney or Hernandez that he'd replace in our starting XI, depending on where he'd play. I know there is something between first team and backup but we generally have a best XI and the rest are squad players.

If he is being brought in as first choie then it's either Nani, Valencia, Rooney or Hernandez that he'd replace in our starting XI, depending on where he'd play. I know there is something between first team and backup but we generally have a best XI and the rest are squad players.

I think big changes are coming. It's hard for any of us to imagine where he'd fit in, as I'm not sure anyone really knows what 'in' it is that he'll be required to fit...if that makes sense. Only the manager knows what he's got planned for next season but I'd be surprised if he didn't try and do things a little differently than he has for the last couple of seasons in terms of altering the system. Where Young may or may not fit into that? feck knows.

------------Rooney

Nani--------Young-----Valencia

With the three behind Rooney rotating their positions ? Or Even Hernandez up top with Young - Rooney - Nani doing the same. Brings back some of the flexibility we had with the front three in 07/08.

True. Yet in someways is the 'reintroduction' of Ryan Giggs as a 'vital' cog in the wheel (aside from the 'all cogs are vital' stuff) an indication of how far we've perhaps regressed in recent times?

I'm not argument that we've gone backwards a huge deal, we're still champions of England and the second best team on the continent, but there was a period where we had seemingly moved 'beyond' Giggs, almost to the stage where we have now, largely moved 'beyond' Scholes. It cannot be entirely satisfactory that we're not no longer in that position with the player. Regardless of how fantastic he is or how great a season he has had, I cannot help but think that if this was an ideal situation (and who can pick them in football), Giggs would have carried on being 'supporting cast' as he was back during our last CL winning run, on par with what Scholes has been this season.

I don't really think so, if he was playing as well then as he has in the second half of this season he would've been a huge player then. He just wasn't, Giggsy's been inconsistent since the day he made his debut and that was just one of his poorer seasons. He was adjusting to a new central role, mainly in behind Tevez or Rooney who were both also adjusting to playing as the sole striker, and a lot of the time it didn't really click for him. When it did he still picked apart defences. 'tis always been the way. I think it says a bit about the quality of our first team (or more specifically our midfield), Carrick-Giggs as good as it has been isn't Scholes-Carrick of 06/07 never mind Keane-Scholes, but it says a lot more about the brilliance of Giggs.

------------Rooney

Nani--------Young-----Valencia

With the three behind Rooney rotating their positions ? Or Even Hernandez up top with Young - Rooney - Nani doing the same. Brings back some of the flexibility we had with the front three in 07/08.

Maybe, or we could just develop Hernandez's game so he can do that for us.

Saves us 12million or whatever and having to persist with a fairly mediocre player.

He's Scouse bound I'd say, maybe Tottenham if they lose one of their decent players this season (and they probably will).

Maybe, or we could just develop Hernandez's game so he can do that for us.

Saves us 12million or whatever and having to persist with a fairly mediocre player.

He's Scouse bound I'd say, maybe Tottenham if they lose one of their decent players this season (and they probably will).

I guess that all depends on your evaluation of the player, I personally see him making the step up by playing around quality. I do think he is a very good player as it stands and would see no reason to try and detract from Hernandez' natural game.

Football, opinions and stuff.

Hmmh, all a bit strange. I think if we really really want him we'll have him, if he goes off to Liverpool I think something will have changed on our side rather than us getting trumped.

Villa fans are going to be absolutely fecking livid if he goes to Liverpool. They all seem to have made their peace with him leaving for the champions of England, after years of at best pushing sixth, and instead he might join a team which finished....6th. Their forums will be a laugh.

Has he ever really been linked to us by anyone credible? I've always seen him as a player I'd love us to be in for, but not one can I really imagine Fergie signing.

Apparently McGarry just said he thinks young should go to Liverpool to enhance england prospects and playing time. although united still favourites.

edit:

*pumps fist*

YES, no Young here please. Absolutely exhilarated with this news.

Apparently McGarry just said he thinks young should go to Liverpool to enhance england prospects and playing time. although united still favourites.

edit:

The way he words it is that Liverpool and Chelsea both think they have Young and Modric respectively.

The way he words it is that Liverpool and Chelsea both think they have Young and Modric respectively.

Yeah.. But his opinion rather than saying done deals as was being said earlier. Anyway I think he's a journo from The Sun, so i'm more inclined to believe Twitter 'ITK's' than him anyways.

Yeah.. But his opinion rather than saying done deals as was being said earlier. Anyway I think he's a journo from The Sun, so i'm more inclined to believe Twitter 'ITK's' than him anyways.

Well he seems to be stating that he has been led to believe that the clubs think they have the players coming in, who knows what will actually be the final result since these stories change day to day.

Paper talk is bollocks. This is Ozil, Cole, Benzema all over again.

Ryan Giggs lacks stamina. The player who just last year was declared the fittest player at the club in pre-season. The player who covered more ground than anyone else in our team against Barca (and was only 2nd to Xavi). The player who covered more ground than anyone else against Chelsea at OT (and was only 2nd to Lampard). 2nd to only Carrick in the game at SB. 2nd to only Carrick v Schalke away.

You wonder what game people are watching sometimes.

The thing is however he lacks pace and we saw it on the weekend that he couldn't close the Barca midfield down quick enough. It's one thing to be able to fit but another to use it effectively. Giggs uses it well when we're controlling the game, but if we're not, falls away a bit. I still think Giggs can do the job but he needs to be replaced.

Ian Mcgarry is a Sun writer who knows feck all though. Strange than any sane person would use him as a source.

The thing is however he lacks pace and we saw it on the weekend that he couldn't close the Barca midfield down quick enough. It's one thing to be able to fit but another to use it effectively. Giggs uses it well when we're controlling the game, but if we're not, falls away a bit. I still think Giggs can do the job but he needs to be replaced.

People have been saying this for years and they've been wrong every time. I personally think you're still wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.