A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valencia and Smalling are just the most recent examples.

What about Saha? Or Yorke?

Judging players on the basis of the club they came from is retarded.

Depends. Generally speaking, an outfield player who is older than about 25-26 who is still at a relatively small club would fill me with a bit of worry if he was coming to be a first team player.

It's a bit like when Hangeland was linked to us last year - either he's been criminally overlooked, or he isn't all that. The latter tends to be true more often than not.

The same midfield over ran Chelsea 3 times on the trot, we matched up well against them but not against Barca/City, there is no fundemantal flaw within the midfield. One midfielder should be enough to keep us top

I do hate words being put in my mouth!! I have never mentioned the words "fundamental" or "flaw".

In case you have missed my point, we have lost the "quality" we enjoyed (for as long as I can remember) in the midfield. I struggle to remember an United midfield quite so disjointed. There is a definite need for a new Scholes and Keane, a couple of midfield Generals.

Staying with the subject of this thread, I would be indifferent to the arrival of Young and I will simply assume he is part of a plan that SAF has to improve the squad.

That is fine by me, after all the man is probably the greatest ever football manager.

Depends. Generally speaking, an outfield player who is older than about 25-26 who is still at a relatively small club would fill me with a bit of worry if he was coming to be a first team player.

It's a bit like when Hangeland was linked to us last year - either he's been criminally overlooked, or he isn't all that. The latter tends to be true more often than not.

I remember getting a Danish keeper from Bromby. He wasn't that shite wasn't he?

Why? For obvious reasons.

I don't know why. Maybe it wasn't his day, who knows. My point is that using Valencia as an example that players from smaller sides can do well against Barca is a bit lame. That's all. He looked a bit like a headless chicken against them, constantly losing the ball and making fouls.

Henrik Larsson?

Pretty sure it is still speculation, but I'd say its pretty sure it's going to happen now.

It reminds me alot of the Valencia transfer, linked to us for around 6 months, very little competition for his transfer which seems strange given the quality (although there was speculation that Madrid were interested in Valencia).

I'd hazard a guess that we'd agreed things with the player and club a while ago, perhaps even January and there has been no other bids or interest from any other clubs as Young has probably made it clear he wants to come to us.

Just a straightforward transfer with the groundwork done months in advance, as per usual.

What? We are signing Eden Hazard instead? WOOOHOOO

Edit: Ill get my coat..

I don't know why. Maybe it wasn't his day, who knows. My point is that using Valencia as an example that players from smaller sides can do well against Barca is a bit lame. That's all. He looked a bit like a headless chicken against them, constantly losing the ball and making fouls.

I don't think he was a headless chicken so much as he lost the head and his composure.

It happens, the boy is still a very decent player and will improve.

Henrik Larsson?

Champions League winner, ex-Barcelona player Henrik Larsson, at the age of 35 for a short-term move. Not quite the "over 25 and never played for a top club" category.

I never said there weren't exceptions, merely that the rule is that players tend to find their level by 25-6. In general.

And he'd be signing for us, aged 25-26.

Massive fecking non issue this is, obviously very good players can be signed from mid table clubs (and, shock horror, even lower).

I don't think he was a headless chicken so much as he lost the head and his composure.

It happens, the boy is still a very decent player and will improve.

He was terrible. That doesn't mean that he's shite but I wouldn't use him as an example that players from smaller EPL clubs can do well against Barcelona.

And he'd be signing for us, aged 25-26.

Massive fecking non issue this is, obviously very good players can be signed from mid table clubs (and, shock horror, even lower).

Which is why it would be a good signing, in my view. Potential under-the-radar signing of the summer.

He was terrible. That doesn't mean that he's shite but I wouldn't use him as an example that players from smaller EPL clubs can do well against Barcelona.

Think you've added that clause to the argument yourself.

I said it in the last page, is there any solid evidence we're signing him? The same thing happened with Ozil, Cole etc

At the end of the day, we lost that game convincingly in the middle of the park, in an almost identical way to 2009. We started brightly, the same as 2009.

At the end of the day, we lost that game convincingly in the middle of the park, in an almost identical way to 2009. We started brightly, the same as 2009.

That's true. The flanks didn't played brilliantly though.

What the feck does "doing well against Barcelona" have to do with anything?

On that basis, Cristiano Ronaldo was a bit of a flop at United and wouldn't strengthen our side should he return.

I said it in the last page, is there any solid evidence we're signing him? The same thing happened with Ozil, Cole etc

Couple of papers have mentioned it I think.

I'm beginning to think this won't happen.

No, just the fact every single paper seems to be running with the idea we have already signed him, they could be wrong of course but this has gone much further and gone on much longer than the Ozil and Cole stories.

What the feck does "doing well against Barcelona" have to do with anything?

On that basis, Cristiano Ronaldo was a bit of a flop at United and wouldn't strengthen our side should he return.

Well actually Ronaldo didn't done half as shite as Valencia did against Barca. He really did little apart from fouling their players. Not to forget that Ronaldo was one of the main reasons why we won the CL the year before AND ended up in the finals the year afterwards. Can't say the same about Valencia.

Ever since his return, Valencia has been one of the main reasons why we won the league. It would have been difficult to challenge for the title if he hadn't played that well especially since Nani was so out of form afterwards.

Ever since his return, Valencia has been one of the main reasons why we won the league. It would have been difficult to challenge for the title if he hadn't played that well especially since Nani was so out of form afterwards.

I know you're not exactly saying this, but if Ronaldo had stayed, we'd still have won the league, probably four times in a row too.

Imagine this in the league

Valencia-Carrick-Anderson-Nani
----------Rooney--------------
---------------Ronaldo--------

He's a good player to have around but I can't see him as one of the main reasons why we won anything at all. Vidic, Berba, VDS and Hernandez were the ones to impress this year.

Well actually Ronaldo didn't done half as shite as Valencia did against Barca. He really did little apart from fouling their players. Not to forget that Ronaldo was one of the main reasons why we won the CL the year before AND ended up in the finals the year afterwards. Can't say the same about Valencia.

So it's ok to judge Valencia purely on the basis of how he performed against Barca but not Ronaldo?

Which brings me back to my point about that previous comment saying more about you than it did about him...

I know you're not exactly saying this, but if Ronaldo had stayed, we'd still have won the league, probably four times in a row too.

Imagine this in the league

Valencia-Carrick-Anderson-Nani
----------Rooney--------------
---------------Ronaldo--------

That's fairly random mate, but I still agree. I was just pointing out that Tony had a good hand in winning the title in the latter stages of the season.

So it's ok to judge Valencia purely on the basis of how he performed against Barca but not Ronaldo?

Which brings me back to my point about that previous comment saying more about you than it did about him...

Look if you want to compare Ronaldo with Valencia be my guest. I think that Valencia is a good player but I wouldn't use him as an example of him being able to take us to the highest level. He's a good crosser of the ball with pace and power but he's no world beater. If I had to choose examples of players who came from smaller EPL sides and impressed at the highest levels I would use Rio, Robson, Keane even Yorke as examples but not Valencia. Its like using Butt as the perfect example of the Fergie Babes incredible talent. I would prefer mentioning Scholes or Giggs.

Look if you want to compare Ronaldo with Valencia be my guest. I think that Valencia is a good player but I wouldn't use him as an example of him being able to take us to the highest level. He's a good crosser of the ball with pace and power but he's no world beater. If I had to choose examples of players who came from smaller EPL sides and impressed at the highest levels I would use Rio, Robson, Keane even Yorke as examples. Not Valencia.

:wenger:

What the feck?
Just because he doesn't perform against Barcelona(where all of our team barring some underperformed), he's not capable of taking us to the next level?

I don't know if he's a world beater or not, but tell you what no other winger than Tony has managed to outplayed Ashley Cole atleast in the last three-four years in the way that he did at the Community Shield and at OT. That surely counts for something. Also his performance last season against Bayern at OT, Milan away are more than enough examples that you're talking crap.

:wenger:

What the feck?
Just because he doesn't perform against Barcelona(where all of our team barring some underperformed), he's not capable of taking us to the next level?

I don't know if he's a world beater or not, but tell you what no other winger than Tony has managed to outplayed Ashley Cole atleast in the last three-four years in the way that he did at the Community Shield and at OT. That surely counts for something. Also his performance last season against Bayern at OT, Milan away are more than enough examples that you're talking crap.

He's not the best example of a player capable of taking us to the highest level. That's what I meant. He's a good player, with a decent cross, pace and power but if I want to name someone who did so well with us despite coming from a smaller side then I'll mention Keane or Robson not him.

Its like using Phil Neville or Butt as the perfect example of the Fergie babes brilliance. They are/were good players but Id rather use Scholes and Giggs as examples to that then them.

Status
Not open for further replies.