A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three is not set in stone.

Absolutely not, it's a number that he gave after having quite a few glasses of wine and it's based on who he believes are/were available at the time - if the status of a player changes during the summer and we want him then we won't hold back because we've already bought 3 others.

I can see the logic if we do end up getting him.

Nani is most comfortable on the right and Valencia is too one footed to play on the left. Young will provide prowess on the left whereas Nani and Valencia will be rotated on the right.

My question is, what happens to Cleverly?

I can see the logic if we do end up getting him.

Nani is most comfortable on the right and Valencia is too one footed to play on the left. Young will provide prowess on the left whereas Nani and Valencia will be rotated on the right.

My question is, what happens to Cleverly?

Young isn't exactly a left-footed player either...

Well you all seem to want to see Young at United. He'd be a reasonable signing, since he's proven in the PL and is English. Can't help but think these are the biggest advantages of such signing though...

Well you all seem to want to see Young at United. He'd be a reasonable signing, since he's proven in the PL and is English. Can't help but think these are the biggest advantages of such signing though...

Err providing quality at setpieces, very good player, will provide competition for all the wingers, can play centrally in that in the hole position. There are many advantages of us signing young

Of course, but with every signing the probability of more signings is diminished, so I would like us to focus on the central midfield, as it should be our priority. Plus you spend 12m on a player in an area you don't really need to strenghten and there's less money to spend on a CM.

I agree that central midfield should be priority. However, if Berbatov does leave, then signing Young makes perfect sense (I know they're not nearly the same type of players).

As much as I appreciate Park and Carrick, they're no Iniesta or Xavi. I'm afraid we won't be able to compete with the likes of Barcelona with players like Young, we need top-class players as we are a top-class club. Let teams like Liverpool have players like Young.

People said similar comments about Smith as well, and they were right.

We cannot afford top class players from top class teams so concentrate on dominating the league now and wait for Barcelona to slip up like they did last year.

He seems to be coming and that indicates Fergie wants him in the squad. Once again he's meant as a squad player to replace Giggs as a winger and cover potential injuries. People seem to forget Valencia missed half this season, next season Nani or Valencia again might miss a few months and then having Young would help a lot. And I won't complain about a new signing before he's not even played for United.

We cannot afford top class players from top class teams so concentrate on dominating the league now and wait for Barcelona to slip up like they did last year.

So you think that is SAF's master plan then?

Lets wait for Barca to slip up...I don't think so, he wants to beat the best at their own game, don't worry about that.

I don't think Fergie sees it like that. His hunger will be even bigger now and defeating Barcelona might turn out to be his last, biggest challenge of his career. He won't achieve that if he doesn't invest in the best players.

He seems to be coming and that indicates Fergie wants him in the squad. Once again he's meant as a squad player to replace Giggs as a winger and cover potential injuries. People seem to forget Valencia missed half this season, next season Nani or Valencia again might miss a few months and then having Young would help a lot. And I won't complain about a new signing before he's not even played for United.

Well, if he does come then I will surely support him and wish him well. He's just not my favorite though.

Well, if he does come then I will surely support him and wish him well. He's just not my favorite though.

Not my favourite either, I would rather have Sanchez and Sneijder instead of Young and maybe Modric but United work within a budget when it comes to fees and wages.

So you think that is SAF's master plan then?

Lets wait for Barca to slip up...I don't think so, he wants to beat the best at their own game, don't worry about that.

I don't think we could catch up with this Barcelona side if we spent £100m on transfers, let alone £20m or £30m that we probably have available. He has to be thinking long term rather than short term so I won't be surprised if we end up picking top young talent from across Europe and America in the next few years, short term there is no solution to match Barca but we can win CL anyway, we would have probably won it last year if it hadn't been for abnormally poor second half against Bayern,

I don't think Fergie sees it like that. His hunger will be even bigger now and defeating Barcelona might turn out to be his last, biggest challenge of his career. He won't achieve that if he doesn't invest in the best players.

Real invested £300m for the best talent, the kind of players we wouldn't even be able to attract, to catch up with Barcelona and they still got embarrased by them.

Real invested £300m for the best talent, the kind of players we wouldn't even be able to attract, to catch up with Barcelona and they still got embarrased by them.

I don't give a feck about Madrid, we're Manchester United and we're perfectly capable of beating any team in the world.

I don't give a feck about Madrid, we're Manchester United and we're perfectly capable of beating any team in the world.

So are they, but neither of us is capable of matching the quality of current Barcelona.

Bale's case is now that he was so over-rated that now he is a bit under-rated.

Bale is still young and very good prospect.

But yes no where near the best in the world.

So are they, but neither of us is capable of matching the quality of current Barcelona.

How could you know that? Just because Madrid and their money failed doesn't mean we don't stand a chance. We certainly don't now (as the match showed) but I don't think we're that far away, we just lack a proper midfield.

Just because we were well beaten by Barcelona doesn't mean we should halt all plans and direct ourselves completely into what we need to do to overhaul them. Partly because I am not sure it can be done - they are a rare side - but mostly because it's impossible to work that way.

We need to strengthen in midfield. Well, we needed to before Barcelona and that match has changed nothing for me, nothing at all. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't look at other areas of our team and also who is available this summer and will make a good signing. I'm not sure a winger is a top target this year, it's one we could do without for another year, but if Young is available now and is deemed good enough, then you can still go for it.

I don't think we could catch up with this Barcelona side if we spent £100m on transfers, let alone £20m or £30m that we probably have available. He has to be thinking long term rather than short term so I won't be surprised if we end up picking top young talent from across Europe and America in the next few years, short term there is no solution to match Barca but we can win CL anyway, we would have probably won it last year if it hadn't been for abnormally poor second half against Bayern,

You always talk about club's finances with such assurance yet don't seem to have enough information to do so, it's just an educated guess. It's slightly misleading given how far off you were about Chelsea just this past year...

You always talk about club's finances with such assurance yet don't seem to have enough information to do so, it's just an educated guess. It's slightly misleading given how far off you were about Chelsea just this past year...

:confused:

When I was wrong about Chelsea? I said they weren't good enough and needed heavy investment to compete and they would probably be unable to make one if they kept their policy of balacing the books. They didn't invest in the Summer at all, trying to balance the books yet again, but made two panic buys in the Winter when it was clear they weren't good enough. Difference is they had Roman will his wealth who has proven his will to invest heavy money into a football club, Glazers run this club differently.

How could you know that? Just because Madrid and their money failed doesn't mean we don't stand a chance. We certainly don't now (as the match showed) but I don't think we're that far away, we just lack a proper midfield.

There are no players in the world as good as Barcelona's now, so we cannot possibly buy them. Short term it's impossible to catch them, long term it might be.

As long as SAF builds a team to consistently win the league, the Champions League will take care of itself.

Too many references in here to Barca for my liking.

The priority is the EPL title and to build a team around the same. Let's not think about trying to match or play the passing game of Barca, it isn't that simple or do-able in one transfer season.

We need a midfield. I am sure I will get flamed for this....... not with Carrick or Fletcher. They simply aren't good enough to compete at the top.

Park is a headless chicken that comes good now and again, Giggs showed his age the other day and the introduction of Scholes had no effect in the middle of the park.

We needed a Roy Keane in the middle of the park disrupting the game and making it clear they weren't going to be allowed to play their "pinball" football.

Out the current crop of midfield players, I would only keep Nani, Anderson and Valencia. With just these three it becomes clear that he needs to spend money on the midfield.

We don't need any more strikers, no matter if buying them stops City having them. :rolleyes: I have read some shit posts about Sanchez, implying the same. What a load of wank!!

Midfield quality is required, the rest of the team is fine, although Evra still blows hot and cold for me!!

Just because we were well beaten by Barcelona doesn't mean we should halt all plans and direct ourselves completely into what we need to do to overhaul them. Partly because I am not sure it can be done - they are a rare side - but mostly because it's impossible to work that way.

We need to strengthen in midfield. Well, we needed to before Barcelona and that match has changed nothing for me, nothing at all. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't look at other areas of our team and also who is available this summer and will make a good signing. I'm not sure a winger is a top target this year, it's one we could do without for another year, but if Young is available now and is deemed good enough, then you can still go for it.

Good post and I agree with the whole of it. I would add that we need to think long term rather than short term. Send our scouts across Europe and America and poach the best players, hell even go to Barcelona and sign some of their youngsters like we did with Pique.

The priority is the EPL title and to build a team around the same. Let's not think about trying to match or play the passing game of Barca, it isn't that simple or do-able in one transfer season.

We need a midfield. I am sure I will get flamed for this....... not with Carrick or Fletcher. They simply aren't good enough to compete at the top.

How can yu square those two statements? We've won the title so we are competing, the only team we can't beat is Barca and no ones managing that at the moment

When I was wrong about Chelsea? I said they weren't good enough and needed heavy investment to compete and they would probably be unable to make one if they kept their policy of balacing the books. They didn't invest in the Summer at all, trying to balance the books yet again, but made two panic buys in the Winter when it was clear they weren't good enough. Difference is they had Roman will his wealth who has proven his will to invest heavy money into a football club, Glazers run this club differently.

Yes, you mean the £200 odd million we have sitting in the bank and the but load of cash we just got for finishing second in the CL that we now don't have to fork out to players as a bonus? United have money to spend but we had several players coming towards the end of their career and a few youngsters. Fergie imo learnt from his last rebuilding phase that you can't just rip the heart out of a team and put a fresh one in and hope you'll still win things.

Since 09 we've seen Nani and Anderson both start realizing their potential, Rafael, Fabio, Smalling and Evans 'an entire back four under 23 ffs!' start playing regularly and the two da silva's looking like certs to own that right back position and Hernandez already establishing himself as a top striker. Thats a fantastic nucleus of a side to develop. Then we've got Cleverly and Welbeck who look like potential superstars running smaller PL sides ragged.

Clearly we have to think about Barcelona and look at ourselves. People call it glory hunting, it's nonsense. Sir Alex has set a standard and will be thinking about this all summer because there is no way we want to repeat the last two finals should we both be fortunate to get their in the future.

I've not watched a lot of young, however some players step up and if we sign young i'll try the clubs judgement and be confident that he won't be the only one we'll bring in to close the gap as best we can.

Yes, you mean the £200 odd million we have sitting in the bank and the but load of cash we just got for finishing second in the CL that we now don't have to fork out to players as a bonus? United have money to spend but we had several players coming towards the end of their career and a few youngsters. Fergie imo learnt from his last rebuilding phase that you can't just rip the heart out of a team and put a fresh one in and hope you'll still win things.

Since 09 we've seen Nani and Anderson both start realizing their potential, Rafael, Fabio, Smalling and Evans 'an entire back four under 23 ffs!' start playing regularly and the two da silva's looking like certs to own that right back position and Hernandez already establishing himself as a top striker. Thats a fantastic nucleus of a side to develop. Then we've got Cleverly and Welbeck who look like potential superstars running smaller PL sides ragged.

The fact that we have money in the bank doesn't mean we can spend it on transfers. Don't we have some debts to pay off, bonda etc.? I stand by what I said, I cannot see us having much net spending City like. It's not like we need that anyway, we've already pretty much signed De Gea, Young seems like a certainty, add one more player and we are fine, though even without adding anyone else we should do okay.

You regularly underestimated how much money Chelsea would spend, just like you could well be doing with us.

I never said they weren't going to spend any more money, just said that I don't expect them to go into transfer frenzy like they used to, or spend heavily on a single player - so heavily that United couldn't match it.

Signing Neymar could mean that they're going to get neither Luiz nor Ramires which would be fine by me because they need both of them more than they need Neymar.

How can yu square those two statements? We've won the title so we are competing, the only team we can't beat is Barca and no ones managing that at the moment

Against Barca, we showed the same frailties as we did against Shitty in the Semi Final. We were totally overrun in the midfield.

It is a weakness and if it wasn't for our shit hot defensive ability we would be getting punished regularly.

If you wish to bury your head in the sand so be it. What I saw the other night changed my feelings towards our older players, this is time for change and I would like to think that those that are getting paid much more than me, have already got some good idea about how to progress.

The fact that we have money in the bank doesn't mean we can spend it on transfers. Don't we have some debts to pay off, bonda etc.? I stand by what I said, I cannot see us having much net spending City like. It's not like we need that anyway, we've already pretty much signed De Gea, Young seems like a certainty, add one more player and we are fine, though even without adding anyone else we should do okay.

Ahh yes we should piss 10's of millions down the drain on rubbish players or pay 10 million more then what players are worth?

Wonder what Sarni will say when we spend big on De Gea. He should dig a deeper hole.

Wonder what Sarni will say when we spend big on De Gea. He should dig a deeper hole.

We've already signed him, £17m, I said we MIGHT go for a cheaper goalkeeper in Stekelenburg, turned out we went for a better but more expensive alternative.

I never said we wouldn't spend a penny, so I don't know what you're getting at. I said I could see us spending money, just not very much of it, perhaps £20m or £30m net. Some players will leave, so we will probably be able to add £15m or £20m to a budget (around £4m for Kuszczak, £2m for Brown, perhaps £4m for Gibson, £12m for Berbatov or something but these are all estimations).

I won't at all be surprised if we spend £17m on De Gea, £12m on Young and some £20m on a midfielder, especially if we sell some players for respectable fees.

Former Aston Villa star Tony Morley believes Ashley Young is making a mistake leaving Aston Villa for Manchester United this summer.

Morley has spoken out about the 25-year-old England international's imminent £15million switch to the Premier League champions, as Villa have opted to sell him now as opposed to losing him on a Bosman free transfer next summer.

While the ex-Villa Park hero can understand Young's desire to play in the Champions League, he feels that the former Watford star could spend more time on the substitutes' bench at Old Trafford than on the pitch.

"Would he rather go there and be a squad player in a big squad or be at Villa and be one of the top men?" asked Morley.

"You've only got to look at James Milner haven't you? It's exactly the same situation."

"Milner might say: 'Oh yes, but we won the FA Cup'."

"But he was on the bench for Manchester City and he didn't get on."

"Young's got all the ability in the world but there's no way he's going to be a regular player at Man United."

"Don't forget you've got Valencia and Nani there so he's competing against those two and it's not as if he's a young kid on the block anymore."

Link: Morley: Young making wrong choice | Setanta

Does this mean that its a done deal? I am sorry but I haven't had the time to read the past 15-20 pages..

Status
Not open for further replies.