A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morley makes a fair point, but I guess it's like the Navy adverts: "who wants to be just a cog in the machine? Depends on the machine."

Against Barca, we showed the same frailties as we did against Shitty in the Semi Final. We were totally overrun in the midfield.

It is a weakness and if it wasn't for our shit hot defensive ability we would be getting punished regularly.

The same midfield over ran Chelsea 3 times on the trot, we matched up well against them but not against Barca/City, there is no fundemantal flaw within the midfield. One midfielder should be enough to keep us top

The same midfield over ran Chelsea 3 times on the trot, we matched up well against them but not against Barca/City, there is no fundemantal flaw within the midfield. One midfielder should be enough to keep us top

No your right our midfield is fine.:rolleyes:

They again I definitely agree because we managed to boss Chelsea's tired midfield!!

They again I definitely agree because we managed to boss Chelsea's tired midfield!!

So we managed to boss Chelsea's midfield thrice in a month or so just because they were tired despite us playing more matches than them. Stunning logic there.

It's pretty fecking good if it can win the title and make it 3 champions league finals in 4 years. Add a little and we'll likely win the title again.

You think our midfield wasn't just as tired?

Ya, what's going on....speculation or is this happening?

Pretty sure it is still speculation, but I'd say its pretty sure it's going to happen now.

It reminds me alot of the Valencia transfer, linked to us for around 6 months, very little competition for his transfer which seems strange given the quality (although there was speculation that Madrid were interested in Valencia).

I'd hazard a guess that we'd agreed things with the player and club a while ago, perhaps even January and there has been no other bids or interest from any other clubs as Young has probably made it clear he wants to come to us.

Just a straightforward transfer with the groundwork done months in advance, as per usual.

So we managed to boss Chelsea's midfield thrice in a month or so just because they were tired despite us playing more matches than them. Stunning logic there.

Yes they were tired because they played too many games? Even though we played the same amount as them. Maybe if you used your common sense you would have realised I ment tired as in not as strong as before.

Pretty sure it is still speculation, but I'd say its pretty sure it's going to happen now.

It reminds me alot of the Valencia transfer, linked to us for around 6 months, very little competition for his transfer which seems strange given the quality (although there was speculation that Madrid were interested in Valencia).

I'd hazard a guess that we'd agreed things with the player and club a while ago, perhaps even January and there has been no other bids or interest from any other clubs as Young has probably made it clear he wants to come to us.

Just a straightforward transfer with the groundwork done months in advance, as per usual.

Wasn't speculation, they had a bid accepted.

Yes they were tired because they played too many games? Even though we planed the same amount as them. Maybe if you used your common sense you would have realised I ment tired as in not as strong as before.

Ohhhh that definition of tired.

Can't believe nobody spotted that.

It's pretty fecking good if it can win the title and make it 3 champions league finals in 4 years. Add a little and we'll likely win the title again.

You think our midfield wasn't just as tired?

It is tired which is why it needs refreshing. It's not really a debate really, the midfield isn't good enough. If we are planning on getting better two solid signings are needed.

Wasn't speculation, they had a bid accepted.

Aye, either way it was a straightforward transfer because Valencia was set on us. I'm sure the same is the case with Young.

Yes they were tired because they played too many games? Even though we played the same amount as them. Maybe if you used your common sense you would have realised I ment tired as in not as strong as before.

They won the double last season with largley the same midfielders and spunked 20 million on Ramieres to strengthen, Frank Lampard played 20 fewer games this season then last and that is probably what cost them

It is tired which is why it needs refreshing. It's not really a debate really, the midfield isn't good enough. If we are planning on getting better two solid signings are needed.

Good enough to win the title and make the champions league final, it can do with strengthening, but it is no uncompetative

I'm not really massively excited about him. However, I can see why his signing makes sense. He's only 25, he's English (helps with the squad rule), and he's shown that he's good at set pieces (which we could do with). He also likes to play on the left, which allows Nani or Valencia to go over to their favoured right hand side.

So...a good signing if it happens.

They won the double last season with largley the same midfielders and spunked 20 million on Ramieres to strengthen, Frank Lampard played 20 fewer games this season then last and that is probably what cost them

That was last season... Essien has been below par since coming back from injuries whether he'll be a force again remains to be seen(I personally hope so). Ramieres, has he offered anything worth his transfer fee? I would disagree. Lampard yes he's been an important loss but I believe like us Chelsea need fresh faces in the middle and maybe a winger if they are to challenge next season.

That was last season... Essien has been below par since coming back from injuries whether he'll be a force again remains to be seen(I personally hope so). Ramieres, has he offered anything worth his transfer fee? I would disagree. Lampard yes he's been an important loss but I believe like us Chelsea need fresh faces in the middle and maybe a winger if they are to challenge next season.

Exactly, it was only last season, if that same midfield can rediscover it's form it's not far off the title.

Young would be a decent signing for us and so would Bale. Regarding Bale, his overhype towards the end of the season has bored me to death as well but I try to remember my views on him prior to the Inter Milan game, that he was an exciting talent. Worth £60m or should Sky sports news be highlighting him in a game battle v Ronaldo? No way but we'd be lucky to get him all the same.

Ashley Young has done well for ages now. I've not watched every Villa game but I've seen enough plus all match of the days to know he always has the ability or potential to do something in a game. I think he is at a higher level than Valencia was and he proved to be a top signing so why can't Young? Especially with more chances, better players with him at United.

Would like him to join us, that's not the issue. The only issue I have is that wingers isn't the area I'd pick to strengthen first and foremost. De Gea + Young is around £30m and regardless of what's in the bank or what sales we make it depends on how much we're willing to spend.

People saying Carrick and Fletcher aren't good enough for us all of sudden after the loss need to calm down. Its players like them who have helped United win these trophies and make these finals. Still, would like to see us get a top midfielder though as that's where we do lack.

Its not just about spending our way out of it, its about making a team with those players. Barca don't just have the players, they have the team, the coaching and training sessions. I doubt we'd spend more than City or Madrid anyway and they don't quite have the team like that. Young would do nicely that aside. I'd settle for a keeper which we need and a midfielder but if we did end up getting Young as well then that would be an awesome summer of transfer activity in my mind. We're not going to be getting 4 or 5 of these newspaper gossip names, at top, top prices, that's not what we do.

Now I don't mind Young, I think he's a good player who would become a nice option on the left and give us plenty of assists and goals in the same way Valencia has.

But I don't think he'll really improve us that much. At least not our starting 11, which is really what you're hoping for in new signings.

That being said, I don't know who else we could get as a genuine left winger. Sanchez mainly operates on the right and in the free role, Hazard has mainly been playing centrally and we're not getting any of Bayern's crooks nor Real Madrid's wingers.

That leaves the likes of Bale, Mata, Menez, Perotti and Capel. Bale is not leaving and the rest are very inconsistent.

My inner muppet has had a hard on for Marko Marin this season based on about 5 Bremen matches. But he's also not really a genuine left winger and shines much brighter in the free role, based on my extensive knowledge from said 5 matches.

In conclusion, I would love it if we signed Hazard. Even as a left winger, he'd undoubtedly be class.

We're very strong on the wings in terms of a first 11 anyway, Young would be good for backup, competition and rotation without costing much (relatively). Experienced in the league, English, versatile, good delivery... don't see any reason to be against it really. Our obvious deficiency is centrally and that's where we'll be likely investing our resources, if anywhere. I'd be confused if we signed a £30m winger and a squaddie central mid - the other way round makes more sense.

Our current squad in addition to De Gea and Young will be enough to retain the league title next season imo

Now for that midfielder that will take us to being Champions of Europe. Fergie have to find that one

Very wise signing (if true) given his versatility. He's a fine set-piece taker too, so I'd be happy if he came to us.

Is there any credible evidence that he is joining us? This feels like that Joe Cole thread last year

Our current squad in addition to De Gea and Young will be enough to retain the league title next season imo

We have to take into account that De Gea is unlikely to be VDS, not from the start, anyway. We also have to remember our midfield had quite a few problems against the lowlier sides. It's not just Barcelona that our midfield struggled against, it's also Wolves and Blackpool. Improving the midfield is not just about the European cup.

Let's buy all half-way decent players from midtable clubs.

What an incredibly stupid comment.

Perish the thought of ever signing a player from a club any further down the table. Like Wigan, for example. And what were we thinking when we signed a centre-half who wasn't even starting every game for Fulham?

Can someone point me to where it says we have actually signed him please?

Perish the thought of ever signing a player from a club any further down the table. Like Wigan, for example. And what were we thinking when we signed a centre-half who wasn't even starting every game for Fulham?

You're right altough I wouldn't use Valencia as an example in this case. Decent player mind but against Barca he reminded me a bit of Bebe.

Remember that Dutch keeper who wasn't even guaranteed a starting place at Fulham we bought a few years back ?

What the feck became of him ?

I think the point was perhaps that Young is close to his peak, whilst Smalling and Valencia clearly weren't when you signed them.

Let's buy all half-way decent players from midtable clubs.

Do you really think he's a much worse player than Valencia was at Wigan?

I think the point was perhaps that Young is close to his peak, whilst Smalling and Valencia clearly weren't when you signed them.

You don't think Young's developed this year or shown he still has a lot of progression left in him?

You don't think Young's developed this year or shown he still has a lot of progression left in him?

Oh he does - I'm not of the opinion that he has reached his peak, it was merely how I construed Lallaini's post.

I like Young a lot, he's the kind of player who United lack - he'd improve you at set pieces at the very least. Couldn't praise him more highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.