A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we set to buy yet another wide player when there is a gaping chasm in the middle of the pitch?

The wider the pitch the more space there is for our midfield to play and when one of our wingers are out (Valencia especially) we aren't able to keep that width as much as we'd like to. If we can stretch the pitch and open the game up - something that's been a feature of our play and something Sir Alex obviously excels at doing - then there's less need for our players to be exceptional in close spaces in the way Xavi and Iniesta are.

Obviously there's always immense use for players like that, don't get me wrong, and we should have no doubt that Sir Alex has been on the lookout for another midfielder regardless of the possible Young signing.

Just because we might be getting Young doesn't mean we won't sign a midfielder as well.

I'm still a little confused as to what Young will offer that is different to what we already have in the wide areas.

I still can't see how this will be of benefit, ultimately. We shouldn't be putting ourselves in a situation potentially whereby we may hinder the development of Nani - potentially one of the best players on the planet (he's already getting there).

I hope he's coming to be satisfied for a place on the bench because, unless he improves significantly, he shouldn't be a first XI player, and I'm not convinced he's better than Park either.

Find this from an interview with Ashley Young..

I ask whether he still considers himself, deep down, an Arsenal fan? "No, you drop that as soon as you turn pro. They're just another team. Although the away grounds I enjoy playing at most are the Emirates and Old Trafford." It is the latter where he normally faces the bigger challenge. "Wes Brown is the defender who gives me most trouble," he concedes. "I played against him twice in the league and the Carling Cup as well last season, and I didn't get no change out of him. His reading of the game is excellent and he likes to get forward as well, so I have to track back unless I can pass him over to the left back, and as a winger you don't want to be going that way."

Funnily enough, was speaking to Jerome Thomas a few weeks back and he said the same thing, Wes Brown was cited as his hardest opponent.

Rubbish he isn't overrated no one is calling world class for the millionth time proven PL English player stats for the last 4 season

07-08 9 goals, 17 assists
08-09 9 goals, 14 assists
09-10 9 goals, 16 assists
10-11 9 goals, 12 assists

Rubbish he isn't overrated no one is calling world class for the millionth time proven PL English player stats for the last 4 season

No one is denying hes a talent player. That would be dumb. But since we just won 19, and then got humbled by barca, are next challenge is displacing them at the best team in the world.

Simply put, would you have ashley young, despite his obvious and undoubted talent, in the best team in the world?

Thats why before, we woulnt have mind him, but now, we need better.

It's not about stats only, is it - particularly given how misleading assists can be. I have nothing against Ashley Young, he's very fine for most Premier League clubs but not for us and he would be simply too expensive to be a squad player. And given we are in transition and many players will leave us, what we need most are first team starters, not spending millions on people who may or may not make the bench. This discussion reminds me a bit of when Newcastle went down and people were discussing which players of them we should buy. It's irritating, because we need a different level of quality.

No one is denying hes a talent player. That would be dumb. But since we just won 19, and then got humbled by barca, are next challenge is displacing them at the best team in the world.

Simply put, would you have ashley young, despite his obvious and undoubted talent, in the best team in the world?

Thats why before, we woulnt have mind him, but now, we need better.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't sign players unless they are better than their Barcelona counterpart?

It's not about stats only, is it - particularly given how misleading assists can be. I have nothing against Ashley Young, he's very fine for most Premier League clubs but not for us and he would be simply too expensive to be a squad player. And given we are in transition and many players will leave us, what we need most are first team starters, not spending millions on people who may or may not make the bench. This discussion reminds me a bit of when Newcastle went down and people were discussing which players of them we should buy. It's irritating, because we need a different level of quality.

If Ashley Young is bought by us do you think it might be fair to say you might have misjudged him?

If we'd had Young in our squad this season we'd have wrapped the title up months ago. We would not have felt the injuries to park and Valencia nearly as much as we did.

Young will be an outstanding addition to the team if he joins.

At his current rate, he'll do brilliantly for us in the league just for the fact that he's better than almost everyone in our team at corners and he's not a liability from open play either.

We get around 5-10 corners each game and nearly everyone has failed to pass the first defender which leads to us doing a short pass and trying to dribble our way into a crowded box.

If Ashley Young only costs 10 mil pounds and if we will still sign couple of big name players, then why not?

He will be a good addition to the squad considering Giggs will play his last nest season.

No, im suggesting we sign players who can take us to the next level and beyond. Not squad players who arent even better than what we have already. Clearly thats what i meant.

in 8 positions out of 11 we can match Barcelona - and in some we are even better than them. The problem is that their attacking midfield 3 of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi are possibly the 3 best in the world - our 3 are in a different league. They tore us to shreds there.

Its not like Young is much worse than what they have on their flanks....but its impossible to find a new Messi

We don't need a Messi. What we need is a midfield almost as good as Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. We have our Busquets in Carrick. What we now need is new Xavi and Iniesta.

There's 3 players in London who could do a good job at improving our midfield by a lot, we'll most likely never get the chance to sign them though.

Young's ability to play as the second striker could turn out to be very important if Berbatov, as suggested, does leave. Don't slaughter me, it's a possibility.

I'm not too sure whether Young would improve our squad, don't think he's what we need at the moment. I hope the news aren't true, as with Joe Cole a year ago.

I'm not too sure whether Young would improve our squad, don't think he's what we need at the moment. I hope the news aren't true, as with Joe Cole a year ago.

He's nothing like Joe Cole.He's a young player with talentand can play in a number of roles,why wouldn't he improve our squad?

I recall similar comments about Park,Valencia and Carrick

He's nothing like Joe Cole.He's a young player with talentand can play in a number of roles,why wouldn't he improve our squad?

I recall similar comments about Park,Valencia and Carrick

As much as I appreciate Park and Carrick, they're no Iniesta or Xavi. I'm afraid we won't be able to compete with the likes of Barcelona with players like Young, we need top-class players as we are a top-class club. Let teams like Liverpool have players like Young.

People said similar comments about Smith as well, and they were right.

As much as I appreciate Park and Carrick, they're no Iniesta or Xavi. I'm afraid we won't be able to compete with the likes of Barcelona with players like Young, we need top-class players as we are a top-class club. Let teams like Liverpool have players like Young.

Why are you comparing him to Xavi or Iniesta? Surely you'd compare him to Pedro?

Young would be an excellent addition but we still need our Xavi & Iniesta... the worrying thing is, to compete with Barca I think we'd need to buy both Sneijder AND Modric.

People said similar comments about Smith as well, and they were right.

Poor example. Smith played one injury plagued season up front then was switched to mid-field, then suffered a horrible injury.

I don't think we can say what Smith could have become if he'd stayed up front and didn't have his leg shattered.

Though, I'm not keen on Young, myself. Hoping it's a smoke screen.

young would be a fine addition to our team, we can longer expect giggs to play as a winger. young is a premiership proven player, and he can still improves playing alongside better players.

we still need to sign central midfielders even if we get young. hargreaves is no longer playing for us now, and scholes is likely to retiree as well.

sneijder and modric would be dream signings....:drool:..but i don't know who sir alex has in his mind...

Why are you comparing him to Xavi or Iniesta? Surely you'd compare him to Pedro?

Young would be an excellent addition but we still need our Xavi & Iniesta... the worrying thing is, to compete with Barca I think we'd need to buy both Sneijder AND Modric.

Think we'll get one of the latter not both.SAF said 3 signings; De Gea most likely and two others.If we assume Young as the next then I can only see one of Modric/Sneijder.

On the Xavi/Iniesta front, the reaction seems to be that we can go out just buy them when it's a fallacy.Players like those 2 plus a Messi have taken years to develop and a lot of time to develop the understanding.As great as they are 90% perspiration has produced the results

They are good stats but this is him playing all season as a first choice, in our team he won't get anywhere near as much opportunity to play. Valencia, Nani, Giggs & Park are all ahead of him.

If you consider him as a 2nd striker in place of Berba, then we have Rooney, Chico, Owen, Welbeck.

He's going to be a bit part player at best.

They are good stats but this is him playing all season as a first choice, in our team he won't get anywhere near as much opportunity to play. Valencia, Nani, Giggs & Park are all ahead of him.

If you consider him as a 2nd striker in place of Berba, then we have Rooney, Chico, Owen, Welbeck.

He's going to be a bit part player at best.

WTF ? Welbeck ahead of Young already after 1 full season in the PL ?

Owen as a 2nd Striker ?

With Giggsy retiring and Park aging, Young wouldn't be a worthy candidate ?

Good stats ? Are you sure you watch enough of Villa to put these statements mate ?

He is not as bad as you claim... He could easily fit in and surprise you... imagine those stats with a Striker like Heskey leading the line... Or Agbonlahor who hasn't done a f*ck this season... Or Carew who's passed it... He's only had a few months playing with Bent too and Bent has actually had some great chances up front with Young creating...

So you are saying he will be a 1st team regular then?

Ahead of Rooney and Chico?

Ahead of Nani, Valencia, Giggs, Park.

He'll get his chance no doubt, but not on a regular basis...

And that's why I think he's not the type of player we need. The money could, and should spent better (in central midfield).

I wonder how signing Young at the reported price 12m is going to stall any negotiations for a CM when theres a possibility that Scholes will retire and we have let go of OH...

Just saying that he has the potential to fight it out for the first team, not that I don't want to see him hinder the progress of Nani and Valencia or anything, we can't play all season with the same players and Giggsy will be converted to CM... and will not play week in week out anymore...

Set pieces ?

He does bring a lot of qualities in whether you guys rate him or not...

But if he were to cost a bit more, and if he will be the soul reason of us not getting a CM... Then I'm also against the signing as in the wing department, we are still pretty much the best in the PL.

Would hate it if he moved to the scum though.

You know signing a squad winger and a new CM are not mutually exclusive?

Knowing Fergie, they are. He won't just go and buy dozens of players. He already said "three players" so with De Gea almost signed, I'd rather we signed central midfielders as the other two, as that is the area we suffer the most.

Knowing Fergie, they are. He won't just go and buy dozens of players. He already said "three players" so with De Gea almost signed, I'd rather we signed central midfielders as the other two, as that is the area we suffer the most.

Buying four players in one summer isn't something out of this world. Fergie had done that before.

Buying four players in one summer isn't something out of this world. Fergie had done that before.

Of course, but with every signing the probability of more signings is diminished, so I would like us to focus on the central midfield, as it should be our priority. Plus you spend 12m on a player in an area you don't really need to strenghten and there's less money to spend on a CM.

"I am looking at maybe three signings which would boost our overall quality in our team."

Three is not set in stone.

Knowing Fergie he won't tell the media what he is gonna do. 2007 he bought 2 central midfielders, 1 winger and a striker. Buying a winger won't prevent him from strengthening other positions.

Of course, but with every signing the probability of more signings is diminished, so I would like us to focus on the central midfield, as it should be our priority. Plus you spend 12m on a player in an area you don't really need to strenghten and there's less money to spend on a CM.

Knowing Fergie? Since when did SAF tell the media the truth about his plans?

Buying a winger doesn't prevent additions elsewhere in the squad, and I disagree that it's an area that didn't need strengthening. When Valencia and Park were both out we were paper thin in that area, Giggs can't run the wing any more week in week out, we do need more depth there.

There's no reason SAF won't buy more players if he feels he needs it, but don't expect him to give the press a heads up first. This could be a summer with quite a few moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.