A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what other ITK-stuff has MUJAC come up with other than the failed Quatar-stuff and this Young thing?

Good signing but it should not be at the expense of some central midfield reinforcement.

Unless Berbatov leaves, which looks unlikely, who are we going to sell to bring in any money? Aren't those leaving going on a free or retiring?

I think Berbatov going has become much more likely following his omission from yesterday's squad, although I'd prefer we kept him. There are several players who could leave and bring in some form of transfer fee such as Wes, Gibson, Owen, Diouf, Obertan and Macheda. Not big money but collective sales can build up abit of money.

Fergie might want to return to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 more often next season and as we are rumoured to be after Sneidjer, Berba's role in the squad could be made redundant by United signing Sneijder and having the option of using Rooney as the main frontman more often. Young's signing and the return of Welbeck and Cleverley make the squad more versatile so his sale is one that could happen.

Unless Berbatov leaves, which looks unlikely, who are we going to sell to bring in any money? Aren't those leaving going on a free or retiring?

One thing to consider is that surely Scholes, Neville, VDS, and Hargreaves (and Berbatov if he is sold, though I don't think he will be) are on high wages. Maybe the money for transfer fees has been in the budget before, but not the weekly wages the top targets would require. If those 4 were on say an average of 80k per week, that frees up a lot of money to get a couple players that would have large transfer fees plus get 160k per week. I don't know the numbers per se, but I think the point stands.

I think he'll be a good addition to the squad and give us some important depth in wide areas whilst being able to play elsewhere. I just hope his signing isnt to replace someone.

He is not the type we need at all. SAF should put all his obsession on the central midfield, with a strong midfield, you don't actually need to have real defenders on the pitch, you can just stick anybody there.

He is not the type we need at all. SAF should put all his obsession on the central midfield, with a strong midfield, you don't actually need to have real defenders on the pitch, you can just stick anybody there.

I wish SAF had your wisdom.

I think Berbatov going has become much more likely following his omission from yesterday's squad, although I'd prefer we kept him. There are several players who could leave and bring in some form of transfer fee such as Wes, Gibson, Owen, Diouf, Obertan and Macheda. Not big money but collective sales can build up abit of money.

Fergie might want to return to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 more often next season and as we are rumoured to be after Sneidjer, Berba's role in the squad could be made redundant by United signing Sneijder and having the option of using Rooney as the main frontman more often. Young's signing and the return of Welbeck and Cleverley make the squad more versatile so his sale is one that could happen.
We've never played 433/4231 consistently since Keano left. It's always been 442 in most of the games, and 433/4241 against the harder opponents. Can't see that change any time soon.

We've never played 433/4231 consistently since Keano left. It's always been 442 in most of the games, and 433/4241 against the harder opponents. Can't see that change any time soon.

It was consistently played last season with Rooney as the lone striker and plenty of times in Ronaldo's last season as well.

An attempt to insult, but thank you anyway. The point was just about CM with a little hyperbole and also to state my indifferent to the rumors that he have signed Young.

Why does a point about a central midfielder need to be made at all? Young doesn't affect that whatsoever.

It was consistently played last season with Rooney as the lone striker and plenty of times in Ronaldo's last season as well.
Nope. Majority was mostly with a 442. We don't use 433 in more than 40% of the matches that we play. Feel free to look it up and prove me wrong.

I like Young. He's a player that makes things happen & if this is in any way true he could prove to be a useful way of moving on from Giggs when he finally calls it a day. Perhaps not what some wanted and I understand the reservations especially after this season, but I think he's good enough for us. Also, if we're looking for people to play on the left as we might well be, he represents a decent option.

Find this from an interview with Ashley Young..

I ask whether he still considers himself, deep down, an Arsenal fan? "No, you drop that as soon as you turn pro. They're just another team. Although the away grounds I enjoy playing at most are the Emirates and Old Trafford." It is the latter where he normally faces the bigger challenge. "Wes Brown is the defender who gives me most trouble," he concedes. "I played against him twice in the league and the Carling Cup as well last season, and I didn't get no change out of him. His reading of the game is excellent and he likes to get forward as well, so I have to track back unless I can pass him over to the left back, and as a winger you don't want to be going that way."

Nope. Majority was mostly with a 442. We don't use 433 in more than 40% of the matches that we play. Feel free to look it up and prove me wrong.

Second half of last season usual line up from after January and plenty of times before was. First half of the season we played 4-4-2 a fair bit but still went with the one upfront often as well.

Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick

Valencia/Nani, Park/Giggs

Rooney

Berbatov took on the lone front man role when Rooney got injured in several games and Park sometimes used as the most attacking midfielder of the three. Berbatov had a few injuries and Owen was also the same in the beginning of the new year and we went on a very good run with this formation.

Suprisingly I'm not going to do a stastical analysis of our games last year to prove you wrong but Rooney 30 odd goal season was not that long back and should not be that hard to remember. We still played 4-4-2 at times but last year was the first time it was used not only in Europe but in many of the domestic and league games we played. In part because of some injuries and in part because it became our best formation and got the best out of Rooney.

I would not mind Young at all, he would really add to the squad. Just get that quality CM and we're in for a very exciting season - yet again.

Unless Fergie has had a change of heart, I'm struggling to see it happening (IE: midfielderS). We have given Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson new contracts, Young's addition would mean Giggs would be clear to play in the middle. Park as well. I can't see us not getting a midfielder, but wholesale changes are unlikely.

I am hoping we dont sign Young. He seems to be one of the many average English wingers who has developed over the last few years - to add to the list that includes Walcott, SWP, Downing, Lennon, Milner (sort of), J. Cole etc

I just dont see Young adding much in the way of quality to our squad. Our strength in depth is already brilliant. We have Nani and Valencia as first choice wingers, with Giggs, Park, Welbeck, Obertan, Bebe and Rooney all capable backups when required.

If we were to sign a winger, for me it should be Bale. He has the potential to be one of the best in the world, he is excellent defensively as well as being a goal threat, he is British and still young. He would be bloody expensive yes, but if all the transfer talk going around is true that we are to spend big this summer, and that we are to be going for the best players in the world, Young doesnt really fit the catergory. Just because he would be available on the cheap (due to his contract running out) I am concerned that we are going to compromise on quality in order to get better "value".

He seems to be one of the many average English wingers who has developed over the last few years - to add to the list that includes Walcott, SWP, Downing, Lennon, Milner (sort of), J. Cole etc.

Young has surely shown more consistency than most of the names you've mentioned, if not all. He's been regularly contributing to a good Villa side (not so good this season), regularly getting assists, even though the team lacked in strikers. I would easily take him over Walcott, SWP, Downing, Lennon and whatever name you've mentioned.

I just dont see Young adding much in the way of quality to our squad. Our strength in depth is already brilliant. We have Nani and Valencia as first choice wingers, with Giggs, Park, Welbeck, Obertan, Bebe and Rooney all capable backups when required.

When have Obertan or Bebe shown themselves to be capable backups? Or Welbeck for that matter - He's done well for Sunderland, better when upfront then on the wing - but never for us on that wing. We do NOT want to send Rooney down the wing again, and Giggs is 37, maybe we should finally get over needing him to run up and down on the left

Which doesn't leave that many options. Valencia and Nani, of course. Then there's Park, who is not really a natural winger and doesn't have the attributes we need for many of our matches - the 'less tactical' ones.

If we were to sign a winger, for me it should be Bale. He has the potential to be one of the best in the world, he is excellent defensively as well as being a goal threat, he is British and still young. He would be bloody expensive yes, but if all the transfer talk going around is true that we are to spend big this summer, and that we are to be going for the best players in the world, Young doesnt really fit the catergory.

Young may not fit the 'best in the world' category, but he fits the categories we need. It's not the wing we need to spend big money on. We already have two excellent wingers. What we can use is another quality option. Young is available, wouldn't cost too much, give us another option on the wing and definitely better quality in set pieces. We need that more than we need a 30m-40m Bale.

I am hoping we dont sign Young. He seems to be one of the many average English wingers who has developed over the last few years - to add to the list that includes Walcott, SWP, Downing, Lennon, Milner (sort of), J. Cole etc

If we were to sign a winger, for me it should be Bale. He has the potential to be one of the best in the world, he is excellent defensively as well as being a goal threat, he is British and still young. He would be bloody expensive yes, but if all the transfer talk going around is true that we are to spend big this summer, and that we are to be going for the best players in the world, Young doesnt really fit the catergory. Just because he would be available on the cheap (due to his contract running out) I am concerned that we are going to compromise on quality in order to get better "value".

The same Walcott who got 13 goals and 10 assists this year.

I am far from being an Arsenal fan but he is proving to be a step above that lot.

Young has also developed into a fairly handy central attacking player. He has the ability to beat a man with pace and has good vision and a strong shot on him.

Not sure he'd be any sort of missing link but would be a decent addition for £10-12m.

Why are we set to buy yet another wide player when there is a gaping chasm in the middle of the pitch?

Does our need in midfield mean we shouldn't sign players in other positions, or not do that before we sign a midfielder? Hopefully we are working on different deals simultaniously. It can be done...

Status
Not open for further replies.