A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sign Adam CW1984 I will personally see to it that you are cursed for eternity.

I'll hold him down while you pour itching powder in his belly button. :mad:

Adam............feck me sideways no.

i'm fine with de gea and young. not sure about adam though...

Not saying I particularly want Adam. Just saying that's the signing I expect us to make.

I wouldn't be against signing him though.

This may shock you but there's this thing called a substitutes bench, and it can occasionally be filled with many talented players. "D. Berbatov" has often been included.

That's a classic example of a captain obvious post

I'm asking which pair of wingers are going to start in the first league match and who's the sole one who is only going to make the bench. This will probably be an indication of the pecking order of what Fergie thinks of his wingers

Why would we aim higher when we already have two wingers who are more than good enough to be first choice and are both 25 or under?

I think if we do get him, part of it is to allow Giggs (+Park and Cleverly?) to play more centrally, part of it is to ensure that if something happens to one of our current wing options we'll have a player who can slot right in (not just injuries, maybe even transfers) and part of it is because he still has a lot of development left in him. And obviously because he represents value, this being a player who was called an '£80m player' a couple of years ago. I think there's some sense to that.

To create greater competition and have better players?

I am happy if true. But I still say N’Zogbia would have been the better signing and cheaper too. I would have been a lot more excited though if it was 2 seasons ago. I thought he was poorer this season than he was last.

De Gea, Young and to a lesser extent Varane are done deals. Now, I just hope that Sanchez signs for Inter and that we get a very good midfielder. :drool:

You should be. That guy is nowhere near top level and this can go in the bin like your 'James Milner is world class' opinions from 12 months ago.

Can't understand why so many people are surprised by his assist stats.

He's been a shoo in for any Premier fantasy league team over the last 5-6 seasons.

Solid player and like Valencia will only improve with the quality of players around him. A good signing if it happens.

To create greater competition and have better players?

Too much competition can make the current players take a step backwards though. Inevitably, if we'd bought a Sanchez or a Hazard they'd have cost bucketloads and they'd have been starting the majority of games. That would have meant we would have stunted the progression of Nani/Valencia/Hernandez, to whatever degree.

This won't, I don't think. It adds another player who will be happy to rotate.

How well has he linked up with Rooney on England duty? Haven't watched too many England games recently.

Quite well, surprisingly well in my view. Been one of their best players I thought. Was only on the pitch for one half against France and Hungary but got an assist in each, got 2 assists against Wales and was heavily involved in the only goal in the Ghana game with a lovely pass to Downing.

That's a classic example of a captain obvious post

I'm asking which pair of wingers are going to start in the first league match and who's the sole one who is only going to make the bench. This will probably be an indication of the pecking order of what Fergie thinks of his wingers

There are perhaps sixty games in a season, why are you so focused on the starting eleven for only the first one?

SAF heavily rotates our midfield 4/5 every game; the more options we have for those positions the better. I certainly don't think having Nani, Valencia and Young as our three out-and-out wingers would be overkill, it'd make for a fantastic squad which would likely leave all three players fresh and available for February/April/May selection barring injury.

Young would be a great signing; a pacey, tricky, Premier League proven English winger with good end-product and set-piece delivery; why anyone would want instead a 'special young talent' for twice the price is beyond me.

I am happy if true. But I still say N’Zogbia would have been the better signing and cheaper too. I would have been a lot more excited though if it was 2 seasons ago. I thought he was poorer this season than he was last.

would agree although he has been playing in a much worse villa side. In our side he will prosper, in fact any player that comes to utd can look a better player given the quality around them, with the exception of perhaps bebe.

Young would be a great signing; a pacey, tricky, Premier League proven English winger with good end-product and set-piece delivery; why anyone would want instead a 'special young talent' for twice the price is beyond me.

Because they're the next big thing and will be mega awesome and 100% no matter what definitely be a better, more Premiership proven player than Young is when they're 25. And at only twice the price.

Duh.

You should be. That guy is nowhere near top level and this can go in the bin like your 'James Milner is world class' opinions from 12 months ago.

I know you're using quotation marks but I don't think I ever actually said that. What I said was that he was "Top 4 Material".

As for Adam, I don't think he's particularly brilliant. I just think he's a good option for little money. I have a feeling we won't spend big in central midfield because Fergie believes in the likes of Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs and perhaps even Gibson and Cleverley.

I thought he looked very good in the game against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago.

Someone who claims to be itk on twitter reckons 10m if true that's not bad at all

His contract expires next year but £10 million seems a bit low especially considering what Milner cost. Around £15 mill is more likely.

It wasn't coded, I thought it was a pretty straight question. Villa over the last season haven't been on tv that much, and they're not exactly a huge draw this season when they are on tv, thus the primary source of information is highlights from match of the day. I'd imagine it's hard to judge his performance levels - in a position that's less highlights-friendly than before - from this. I'm not sure what exactly I said was wrong I was just making a minor point. If it bothers you so much then there you go, it's no more.

It wasn't coded, I thought it was a pretty straight question. Villa over the last season haven't been on tv that much, and they're not exactly a huge draw this season when they are on tv, thus the primary source of information is highlights from match of the day. I'd imagine it's hard to judge his performance levels - in a position that's less highlights-friendly than before - from this. I'm not sure what exactly I said was wrong I was just making a minor point. If it bothers you so much then there you go, it's no more.

England... as you did.

Why would we aim higher when we already have two wingers who are more than good enough to be first choice and are both 25 or under?

I think if we do get him, part of it is to allow Giggs (+Park and Cleverly?) to play more centrally, part of it is to ensure that if something happens to one of our current wing options we'll have a player who can slot right in (not just injuries, maybe even transfers) and part of it is because he still has a lot of development left in him. And obviously because he represents value, this being a player who was called an '£80m player' a couple of years ago. I think there's some sense to that.

I think so too. As long as he is happy with playing a role that isn't based on total first team football, then I am more then happy with Young. I don't expect him to start over Nani or Valencia, but he is fantastic cover for either of them, with room enough for development.

His contract expires next year but £10 million seems a bit low especially considering what Milner cost. Around £15 mill is more likely.

was milner in his last year though?

Don't underestimate the power of having only 12 months left to run. If young really wants united only, he could tell villa to piss off and he'll not sign with anyone except united and sign a pre-contract to walk on a free come january.

15 would be pretty high in that case.

I still think the £15m touted is a little too much for Young regardless of his contract situation. I am not against him coming here but I am definitely against his price.

I think so too. As long as he is happy with playing a role that isn't based on total first team football, then I am more then happy with Young. I don't expect him to start over Nani or Valencia, but he is fantastic cover for either of them, with room enough for development.

I agree. Signing him just makes sense. I think we all thought Obertan and Bebe would provide the pace and trickery down the flanks. Has panned rather than pan out that way.

De Gea, Young and to a lesser extent Varane are done deals. Now, I just hope that Sanchez signs for Inter and that we get a very good midfielder. :drool:

I hope Sanchez stays at Udinese now that they have made the Champions League.

Not saying I particularly want Adam. Just saying that's the signing I expect us to make.

We have anywhere between 200 and 260m this summer. We can do better! :mad:

was milner in his last year though?

Don't underestimate the power of having only 12 months left to run. If young really wants united only, he could tell villa to piss off and he'll not sign with anyone except united and sign a pre-contract to walk on a free come january.

15 would be pretty high in that case.

I still think the £15m touted is a little too much for Young regardless of his contract situation. I am not against him coming here but I am definitely against his price.

Villa ended up paying Watford £10 million for him. Surely they would want to get a profit on a player that obviously has improved while playing for them. If his contract didn't expire next summer they might have fetched around £20-£25 million maybe even more. I mean Andy Carroll cost £35 million! Oh and Milner had 2 years left on his contract when they sold him.

Villa ended up paying Watford £10 million for him. Surely they would want to get a profit on a player that obviously has improved while playing for them. If his contract didn't expire next summer they might have fetched around £20-£25 million maybe even more. I mean Andy Carroll cost £35 million! Oh and Milner had 2 years left on his contract when they sold him.

:D

the transfer that has forever fecked english valuations.

Yep, you have to think that if there's any consideration on our part to sign him and his part to sign for us then it'll be on the provision that there's there for a rotation role initially, and if he develops further then he can make a claim for a spot. He'd be an undeniable squad improvement and I don't think there's much first team improvement needed, centre mid aside (which maybe we're expecting to come from within).

I have to be honest I wouldn't have wanted us to sign him last summer, nor would I have wanted to sign him this summer if he hadn't played in the hole this season. He's shown areas to his game that I'd forgotten he had - which he did show at Watford, it just seems so long ago - that will develop with better players and a more sophisticated attack approach. He's shown glimpses of that for England too.

I am surprised he'd turn down the lure of first team football at Liverpool though, if it so happens.

I like the idea of having Nani and Valencia completely fresh for the end of the season, Nani has played a lot of games this season and we can see that in how his season's tailed off while we can see the opposite with Valencia. Defenders having both of them (and Young) running at them after a long, hard season isn't going to be something they look forward to I'd imagine.

Yep, you have to think that if there's any consideration on our part to sign him and his part to sign for us then it'll be on the provision that there's there for a rotation role initially, and if he develops further then he can make a claim for a spot. He'd be an undeniable squad improvement and I don't think there's much first team improvement needed, centre mid aside (which maybe we're expecting to come from within).

I have to be honest I wouldn't have wanted us to sign him last summer, nor would I have wanted to sign him this summer if he hadn't played in the hole this season. He's shown areas to his game that I'd forgotten he had - which he did show at Watford, it just seems so long ago - that will develop with better players and a more sophisticated attack approach. He's shown glimpses of that for England too.

I am surprised he'd turn down the lure of first team football at Liverpool though, if it so happens.

That's it. I maintained that if we did express interest in him, and he in us, then it would mean he's content with a squad-based role, with rotation being key. I can't see him brought in to challenge the first teamers out there now, but he possesses enough quality, and perhaps with enough development, to maybe challenge their positions in the future. He showed as much promise as Valencia has for Wigan, and I'm a strong believer that we can take excellent players from weaker teams, and turn them into stars, through our trainings, experience and even work on the physical side of things, but most importantly a winners mentality. Young has a lot of things already checked off, perhaps after a couple seasons here he may be a real challenge for our first team, it's a possibility for sure, I just can't see that right now.

I mirror that view exactly. I always liked him, and two seasons ago I did want him, last season I still would have taken him, but with the emergence of two unbelievable wingers, I felt less appeal to Young. But, this season as you say he's reverted back to some of the positions in his Watford days, which has suited him, and shows a versatility that would certainly interest us.

That was my main concern, would he really be content playing a rotationary role for us, when he could be playing first team football elsewhere, something I had the idea that he was keen on, given his career choices and the potential to move onto better clubs in the past. But, if he can accept the role we offer, with the idea that he is working for his future position, then I'd readily take him.

Good point, we can afford to keep our main threats on the wing fresh, ready and able, without taking much away from ourselves, in the form of another quality winger, as well as perhaps having some of the ultimate variation of wing-play, which would serve us well.

If we sign him, I wonder if he'll become number 7, or whether it'll be given to Valencia. Can't see Owen being here next year myself.

He is a versatile player, capable of playing in a couple of different positions and roles which is something Fergie loves in a player. Surely he would get around 30-35 matches as a United player part of the rotation which might be ten less matches than he would get at maybe Liverpool or Tottenham but his chances of winning things would be much bigger at United and United might offer better wages. It's up to him really, extra minutes or medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.