A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This signing also makes sense tbh. Giggs, I think will play centrally from now and so we needed a left winger. Nani, Valencia, Park and Young are great options for the wings

Clever signing.

sprockets.jpg

Now I'm as happy as a little girl.

It's not about lack of faith, I get why he's being bought and think he'll be a solid bench option, I just wanted to see Fergie take a special talent and develop them like he did with Ronaldo and Rooney, especially since it's an area of the pitch we don't need a player to make an immediate impact in.

He started that last year! :-) Chicarito will be one of the top strikers in the world. I bet within two years we will be struggling to hold on to him, with crazy Spanish mega offers.

Do De Gea and Varane not count?

Well I was thinking about attacking options hence why I mentioned Rooney and Ronaldo, I don't know that Varane counts as anything at this point, and De Gea is a keeper who was already rated as one of the best, I mean he's meant to be ready to step in next season, not in 2 or 3 seasons time.

I don't thin it's a position we need an immediate impact in though, that is why I'd prefer to see a special young talent brought in to develop in that area.

I also don't see how this signing relates to Sniejder, he'd be a proven replacement for Scholes if he were to come, Young is seperate from any CM addition.

Who is this special young talent then?

And Young can play in the hole by the way, he's been doing it most of the season, very well. He's not strictly a winger and he'd definitely make an instant impact.

Well I was thinking about attacking options hence why I mentioned Rooney and Ronaldo, I don't know that Varane counts as anything at this point, and De Gea is a keeper who was already rated as one of the best, I mean he's meant to be ready to step in next season, not in 2 or 3 seasons time.

"Special young talents", what does that even mean? Anderson was brought in as one of those and clearly as Scholes eventual replacement, and now everybody seems to think he's not enough and we need an instant replacement now.

Can't win.

Who is this special young talent then?

And Young can play in the hole by the way, he's been doing it most of the season, very well. He's not strictly a winger and he'd definitely make an instant impact.

I've made no secret of the fact I think Sanchez is such a talent, others would be Eden Hazrd and Mata, who would actually give us a proper leftie.

I'm aware of that as I mentioned he could cover Rooney, but he's not a CM option, Sneijder is, so I don't see one effecting the other.

"Special young talents", what does that even mean? Anderson was brought in as one of those and clearly as Scholes eventual replacement, and now everybody seems to think he's not enough and we need an instant replacement now.

Can't win.

I answered that in the other reply. Anderson was a lot more raw than the players I am talking about, who have had several seasons in good leagues as pivotal parts of lesser teams.

I've made no secret of the fact I think Sanchez is such a talent, others would be Eden Hazrd and Mata, who would actually give us a proper leftie.

I'm aware of that as I mentioned he could cover Rooney, but he's not a CM option, Sneijder is, so I don't see one effecting the other.

Right, and how much would they cost then? I believe Sanchez is rumored to be around 35m right now. No?

You pay €30m for a mercurial talent like Anderson, and now he's not enough and we need an established player.

You pay around €15m (at a guess) for an established player, and people want a 'special talent' instead.

No fecking middle ground on this board.

Right, and how much would they cost then? I believe Sanchez is rumored to be around 35m right now. No?

You pay €30m for a mercurial talent like Anderson, and now he's not enough and we need an established player.

You pay around €15m (at a guess) for an established player, and people want a 'special talent' instead.

No fecking middle ground on this board.

I don't concern myself over how much we pay, I've never mentioned Anderson's price as a negative, it's irrelevant.

I have simply said I think there are better options, he is cheap, English and prem tested, he'll be a good bench option. I hardly see how that is an unfair assessment.

If it's true then we're almost job done for the summer. Just that midfielder we are all desperate for is all that is left.

I can see us gambling on Rodwell.

So if we do sign Young I assume that means no new central midfielder?

Just to point out Ashley Young has 55 assists in the last 4 seasons.

That's an impressive total even by United standards.

You really need to watch some Villa and England games then. I don't know how anyone can't be impressed with Young after this year.

I don't concern myself over how much we pay, I've never mentioned Anderson's price as a negative, it's irrelevant.

I have simply said I think there are better options, he is cheap, English and prem tested, he'll be a good bench option. I hardly see how that is an unfair assessment.

Because you're underrating the lad. He'd be much more than a bench option here.

There's ALWAYS better options, unless you sign Ronaldo or Messi of course.

For all the talent of the other 3 youngsters you mentioned, Sanchez would likely be the only one guaranteed to succeed here. You just never know.

from wikipedia

Young's father supports Tottenham Hotspur, while Young himself, like his older brother, favoured Arsenal. His hero and "role model on and off the pitch" was Ian Wright.[19] His brother, Lewis plays for Burton Albion.

You really need to watch some Villa and England games then. I don't know how anyone can't be impressed with Young after this year.

How well has he linked up with Rooney on England duty? Haven't watched too many England games recently.

When we sign young that will be 2 of the 3 I expected.

De Gea
Young
Adam.

Because you're underrating the lad. He'd be much more than a bench option here.

There's ALWAYS better options, unless you sign Ronaldo or Messi of course.

For all the talent of the other 3 youngsters you mentioned, Sanchez would likely be the only one guaranteed to succeed here. You just never know.

I don't see how feeling he's not as good as Nani, Valencia, Park or Rooney is underestimating him.

Of course you never know, I would have just liked to have seen us take a chance, given we are already stocked on wingers so it's not a do or die situation.

So which of Nani and Valencia is going to make way for him come the start of the first league match? Can't see him playing in the middle with Rooney and Hernandez in there

If we sign Adam CW1984 I will personally see to it that you are cursed for eternity.

So which of Nani and Valencia is going to make way for him come the start of the first league match? Can't see him playing in the middle with Rooney and Hernandez in there

This may shock you but there's this thing called a substitutes bench, and it can occasionally be filled with many talented players. "D. Berbatov" has often been included.

You've counted 3 players for 2 positions, and neither Park nor Giggs ever really play on the wings anymore.

Young can also play through the center whenever strikers are rested/injured.

Plenty of space for him. Like I said, we're a squad based team. He'll play more than enough games.

I never said he wouldn't be a good squad player. He's a talented lad who can play on either wing and has good crossing ability and takes a good set piece.

I didn't even mention Giggs, I agree he's basically a central player now who plays the odd game out wide, but the same can't be said for Park, who still plays the majority of his games on the wing, and is probably at his best when doing so. I didn't mention Obertan and Bebe but despite their criticism they are still wide players that take up a squad place and would hope to challenge for a first team spot in the near future.

My point wasn't that Young wouldn't be a good squad player, it was that I couldn't see us signing a 25 year old winger for over 10m that is unlikely to merit a starting spot on either wing. I reckon, if it's a winger we're after, they'll be 19-22 years old, happy to bide their time and adapt for a season or two before breaking into the first team.

I know the wave now is going to be anyone who doesn't think this is a wonderful signing is going to get dogs, but there is a middle ground where some of us feel we could have aimed higher.

I think Young will be a solid bench option for us and decent cover for injuries to either winger or Rooney.

Why would we aim higher when we already have two wingers who are more than good enough to be first choice and are both 25 or under?

I think if we do get him, part of it is to allow Giggs (+Park and Cleverly?) to play more centrally, part of it is to ensure that if something happens to one of our current wing options we'll have a player who can slot right in (not just injuries, maybe even transfers) and part of it is because he still has a lot of development left in him. And obviously because he represents value, this being a player who was called an '£80m player' a couple of years ago. I think there's some sense to that.

I never said he wouldn't be a good squad player. He's a talented lad who can play on either wing and has good crossing ability and takes a good set piece.

I didn't even mention Giggs, I agree he's basically a central player now who plays the odd game out wide, but the same can't be said for Park, who still plays the majority of his games on the wing, and is probably at his best when doing so. I didn't mention Obertan and Bebe but despite their criticism they are still wide players that take up a squad place and would hope to challenge for a first team spot in the near future.

My point wasn't that Young wouldn't be a good squad player, it was that I couldn't see us signing a 25 year old winger for over 10m that is unlikely to merit a starting spot on either wing. I reckon, if it's a winger we're after, they'll be 19-22 years old, happy to bide their time and adapt for a season or two before breaking into the first team.

They are only a very select few in our team who are not squad players now.

Status
Not open for further replies.