A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize this was a the consensus of some people here when Valencia was bought?

He's a good purchase if true, and not very expensive considering he's English.

Most on here were wanting us to sign Cole. Look how that turned out. Young will prove to be a great acquisition is rumours are proved correct.

Christ, there's nothing wrong with signing Ashley Young. We're a squad based team, not an individual based team. People can't be expecting us to just go grabbing the best of the best with every transfer we need.

We need good, versatile and reliable, and Premiership proven players too, and guess what, Young has all those attributes.

Nah man, I was always in favour of Valencia. Young is one player who I've never been convinced by. Added to that, the wings are one of our strongest area in the pitch along with centre forward and central defense, a midfielder would be welcome.

We only have two orthodox wingers. Park and Cleverley play more central.

Christ, there's nothing wrong with signing Ashley Young. We're a squad based team, not an individual based team. People can't be expecting us to just go grabbing the best of the best with every transfer we need.

We need good, versatile and reliable, and Premiership proven players too, and guess what, Young has all those attributes.

Quoted for truth. The way our "fans" get their hackles up about almost all of our transfer targets that aren't $60m valued FM superstars is disgusting sometimes.

I have a very reputable source at Aston Villa who never usually gets stuff wrong there, although its never really that exciting.

But he has just text me to say the deal is done and will be announced on Monday by Villa, so presumably by United as well.

The more I think about this signing the more I worry Nani is off, but, Young is a quality player, skillful, the ability to do the unexepected, English.

Perfect for United really.

But we need a CM much much more. So let's not spend too much on him.

Most on here were wanting us to sign Cole. Look how that turned out. Young will prove to be a great acquisition is rumours are proved correct.

I agree.

You can't always look for the Sanchez or the Sneijder, sure it's a muppets dream but it's not a reality. We're not Real Madrid or Shitty or Chelsea. We build great squads and don't rely on individuals to see us through.

The best player we have in our team was injured and out of form up until Febuary, and also a wonderful winger too, and we were still top of the league.

Arsenal and Chelsea on the other hand, got fecked with Fabregas injured and Drogba playing shit.

Young = good signing.

We only have two orthodox wingers. Park and Cleverley play more central.

Meh...I guess, I'll welcome this signing fully as long as we add some steel to the midfield.

not surprised if fergei signs him, he got all the criteria that fergei usually sees in a player.

i just hope he can prove some of us (including me) wrong just like valencia did 2 years ago, and become a great signing rather than just a good one.

reminds me a bit of the Dwight Yorke arguments (or Valencia arguments for that matter) - can't say I'm overly excited about this but if Fergie reckons he;ll be good for us like they were.........wonder if Houllier will threaten to shoot him?

I have a very reputable source at Aston Villa who never usually gets stuff wrong there, although its never really that exciting.

But he has just text me to say the deal is done and will be announced on Monday by Villa, so presumably by United as well.

That'd be hilarious if true, seeing as that's supposed to be when De Gea is announced.

We'll probably have all our transfers wrapped up by Monday and can relax the entire Summer :D

That's true cina, he is versatile, I can imagine him playing behind Hernandez sometime, now that is a very pacy and skillful forward line.

Young adds a level of depth and quality SAF loves.

He's very good. Vastly underrated in my opinion. Suits our counter attacking game perfectly.

I watch Young quite frequently (family are all villa season ticket holders and there's often a spare ticket) and I think he'd do very well for us, he's quick and intelligent and has a belting cross. Sometimes he appears to go up a blind alley but often that's due to his team mates not reading the space they should be moving into correctly. With better players around him I'd expect him to be a very solid player for United.

That'd be hilarious if true, seeing as that's supposed to be when De Gea is announced.

We'll probably have all our transfers wrapped up by Monday and can relax the entire Summer :D

I guess this is how Ferguson does business now, behind closed doors during the season when the rumour-mills are on low revs and the time is available for scouting.

No need to go through protracted summers of speculation.

And we'd finally have a player capable of taking our fecking set pieces.

I guess this is how Ferguson does business now, behind closed doors during the season when the rumour-mills are on low revs and the time is available for scouting.

He has to, City would just try outbid us otherwise.

Talksport last season said that Joe Cole is 99% nailed on to join us, I wouldn't take it as a confirmed signing so far tbh.

I heard exactly the same thing this morning. Announced on Monday supposedly.

Not sure if there is actually any truth in this. I can't see us spending over 10 million on him, considering he'd be behind Nani and Valencia when both are fit, with Park playing most of the big games too.

Apparently Villa will chase Charles N'Zogbia as replacement, can't see them landing that one though.

I know the wave now is going to be anyone who doesn't think this is a wonderful signing is going to get dogs, but there is a middle ground where some of us feel we could have aimed higher.

I think Young will be a solid bench option for us and decent cover for injuries to either winger or Rooney.

Not sure if there is actually any truth in this. I can't see us spending over 10 million on him, considering he'd be behind Nani and Valencia when both are fit, with Park playing most of the big games too.

You've counted 3 players for 2 positions, and neither Park nor Giggs ever really play on the wings anymore.

Young can also play through the center whenever strikers are rested/injured.

Plenty of space for him. Like I said, we're a squad based team. He'll play more than enough games.

How people can call this a disappointing signing is beyond me. He is one of the most versatile attackers in the league IMO.

I know the wave now is going to be anyone who doesn't think this is a wonderful signing is going to get dogs, but there is a middle ground where some of us feel we could have aimed higher.

I think Young will be a solid bench option for us and decent cover for injuries to either winger or Rooney.

To a certain extant that's true, but look at the Valencia signing as an example as to why we should have faith in SAF when it comes to premiership players.

He'd really improve the squad. Not convinced he'd make the team any better but he offers versatility and more importantly, someone with pace to play behind Hernandez if Rooney isn't available.

Lets just wait and see. History should have taught us that we need to trust Fergie with some of his transfers and give the benefit of the doubt first

I watch Young quite frequently (family are all villa season ticket holders and there's often a spare ticket) and I think he'd do very well for us, he's quick and intelligent and has a belting cross. Sometimes he appears to go up a blind alley but often that's due to his team mates not reading the space they should be moving into correctly. With better players around him I'd expect him to be a very solid player for United.

I agree totally. I believe he will thrive at OT.

I am one of the few in here that believe we are in need of another winger. I would also love to see a new Paul Scholes and I hope SAF again goes for a young, proven talent with many years ahead..... but, in SAF I trust!

I don't want anybody overpriced, overhyped or somebody with a tendency to sulk like el-Tevez.

I am really surprised we haven't seen Rodwell's name mentioned for a while. I think he is SAF's type of player for the middle.

I don't have any issues with people who don't think it's a "wonderful" signing. There's nothing wrong with that. He's not the best of the best.

But I do think people are being too pessimistic. When SAF needs players for an instant impact (which I do think Young will provide) he will generally go for PL proven players (Berbatov, VDS, Tevez, Carrick, Rooney, Rio...). There are exceptions of course, like Vidic and Evra.

But when he buys foreign it's usually on young talent, like Nani, Anderson, Chicarito, and now it looks like De Gea too. Hence why Sneijder was never going to happen.

I think it's a top signing personally. Don't see anything wrong with it at all. Decent price, versatile, good Premiership proven player who can actually take set pieces.

I mean really, what can go wrong? :smirk:

Captain, wants to win, can finish, can spot a pass, takes a pen, good at corners, very versatile.

We need this sort of competitiveness in the side to spark the team.

To a certain extant that's true, but look at the Valencia signing as an example as to why we should have faith in SAF when it comes to premiership players.

It's not about lack of faith, I get why he's being bought and think he'll be a solid bench option, I just wanted to see Fergie take a special talent and develop them like he did with Ronaldo and Rooney, especially since it's an area of the pitch we don't need a player to make an immediate impact in.

It's not about lack of faith, I get why he's being bought and think he'll be a solid bench option, I just wanted to see Fergie take a special talent and develop them like he did with Ronaldo and Rooney, especially since it's an area of the pitch we don't need a player to make an immediate impact in.

Do De Gea and Varane not count?

I actually believe this will go down as a Fergie masterstroke. It's certainly better than Fortune and Blomqvist which is essentially the role he is taking.

I don't have any issues with people who don't think it's a "wonderful" signing. There's nothing wrong with that. He's not the best of the best.

But I do think people are being too pessimistic. When SAF needs players for an instant impact (which I do think Young will provide) he will generally go for PL proven players (Berbatov, VDS, Tevez, Carrick, Rooney, Rio...). There are exceptions of course, like Vidic and Evra.

But when he buys foreign it's usually on young talent, like Nani, Anderson, Chicarito, and now it looks like De Gea too. Hence why Sneijder was never going to happen.

I think it's a top signing personally. Don't see anything wrong with it at all. Decent price, versatile, good Premiership proven player who can actually take set pieces.

I mean really, what can go wrong? :smirk:

I don't thin it's a position we need an immediate impact in though, that is why I'd prefer to see a special young talent brought in to develop in that area.

I also don't see how this signing relates to Sniejder, he'd be a proven replacement for Scholes if he were to come, Young is seperate from any CM addition.

Good signing for us if he comes. I like Villa so hope they can find a good replacement and still be a team in the top half next season.

Nice comments from Villa fans on their forum about Young too.

Status
Not open for further replies.