A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are to sign Young, I think we'll see similar sort of jump in performance and contribution from him as we saw when Valencia joined from Wigan.

My only concern is that he does naturally favour the right foot, which although he plays on the left or in behind, and I'd just prefer some natural left-footed width

But I'm confident he'll really kick on if we were to sign him

If we are to sign Young, I think we'll see similar sort of jump in performance and contribution from him as we saw when Valencia joined from Wigan.

My only concern is that he does naturally favour the right foot, which although he plays on the left or in behind, and I'd just prefer some natural left-footed width

But I'm confident he'll really kick on if we were to sign him

This.

We already have 2 natural right wingers, if we were to buy another winger I'd rather have a traditional left-footed winger. A bit like Downing, but not shit.

Its such a shame Nuri Sahin joined that circus, he would have been perfect for us playing in both CM in 4-4-2, and on the left wing :(

Don't mind him Ed, he thinks Valencia "isn't United quality". He also hasn't cared about United for years, good god.

Young is a better attacker than Valencia. In all probability, if United sign Young, Valencia may move to right-back.

Thats plain stupid. Thats like saying if we signed a right back, rafael and fabio may move to Right wing or if we signed a midfielder, anderson move to a striker.

Anyways, i dont believe that young will have the valencia effect. Lightning dont strike twice. I think he'd be a lot better than obertan, of course, but i dont think he'll up his game enough, like valencia did. I reckon id still prefer park or giggs on the left over him most games. But of course i trust fergies judgement.

So is this happening or not? Its gonna turn out just like the fecking Ozil thread, with less jizz. You'll see.

So is this happening or not? Its gonna turn out just like the fecking Ozil thread, with less jizz. You'll see.

it's because the muppets are so hungry for some transfer action.....maybe young is not exotic as ozil or benzema, but its still much better than nothing :)

Young is a good player, possibly a very good player but i'm hoping that we get Sanchez instead and that Young is merely a back up...

I got that Brwned, but what's at stake? E-pride aside, I really do not have anything to sacrifice.

I thought you had but you're a difficult one to figure out sometimes!

Surely you can afford a simple £50 bet? Or if not that, a £20 bet (or however much that converts to in your currency)?

Forget the money. I doubt Man Utd will be signing Young anyway since he's probably got little room to develop. If they do and he displaces Nani or Valancia I think Salvo would be entitled to an 'I told you so thread'.

Forget the money. I doubt Man Utd will be signing Young anyway since he's probably got little room to develop. If they do and he displaces Nani or Valancia I think Salvo would be entitled to an 'I told you so thread'.

He'd only be entitled to an i told you so thread if valencia got moved to right back which will never happen bar the odd 10-20mins like we've seen this season, if that.

Why has he got little room to develop, he can still improve (or at the very least appear to improve) by playing alongside better players, as they'll create more space for him and will get into better positions to convert the things he creates

I doubted this transfer but if these reports are true it must confirm some of our assumptions. Obertan probably won't be here next season (loan and/or sold) and Fergie isn't putting much faith in Bebe's improvement. Although I thought he would want to move to a team that can guarantee him first team selection (eg Liverpool), it's hard to ignore the lure of becoming a valuable squad player with us. Throughout 4 competitions and a long season he would surely get his fair share. Therefore another top class winger should surely mean Giggs won't be utilised out wide anymore. Valencia, Nani, Park and Young would make a very strong quartet for us, and his key stats since joining Aston Villa are very encouraging.

A. Young's Aston Villa Stats (Wikipedia)
06-07 2 goals, 3 assists
07-08 9 goals, 17 assists
08-09 9 goals, 14 assists
09-10 9 goals, 16 assists
10-11 9 goals, 12 assists

As you can see in recent years he's been consistent with his contributions. We would expect him to follow Valencia's lead and elevate his game to a higher level. Just imagine how useful his speed, finishing, versatility and set piece delivery could be to an already formidable attack. After him and De Gea we still need to get a top class midfielder to complete an astute set of transfers though.

If so, what kind of winger You see proper for Premiership... Douglas Costa, Eden Hazard, someone else ?

Who are these other wingers that we have coming through at this moment in time?

He's relatively young, quick, skillfull, talented and English. A good signing in my book.

Cleverley and Welbeck, both would get time on the wings. King is another that, if he is given time, will be played on the left wing. All excellent talents.

We don't need a winger. We're already stocked up well enough there. I don't know why the idea is being entertained.

Cleverley and Welbeck, both would get time on the wings. King is another that, if he is given time, will be played on the left wing. All excellent talents.

We don't need a winger. We're already stocked up well enough there. I don't know why the idea is being entertained.

Not that I'm dismissing these names out of hand, but when the muppets were crying out for signings pre-season last year, the anti-muppets were citing players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Obertan etc as reasons why we didn't need any players brought in. And it didn't exactly work out then ... (not that we needed them!)

Similarly, a lot of the complaints about Young is that he shines for a mediocre team but might not make the step up. Exactly the same could be said of Cleverley and Welbeck ...

Welbeck is a striker. Cleverley on the other hand can do the trick but he's no where near to Young and Giggs cant keep playing on the left flank anymore.

Not that I'm dismissing these names out of hand, but when the muppets were crying out for signings pre-season last year, the anti-muppets were citing players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Obertan etc as reasons why we didn't need any players brought in. And it didn't exactly work out then ... (not that we needed them!)

Similarly, a lot of the complaints about Young is that he shines for a mediocre team but might not make the step up. Exactly the same could be said of Cleverley and Welbeck ...

The thing is, these would be 5th or 6th choice wingers. They are easily good enough for that. I remember putting forward the same argument about wingers last year - that we had enough of them, and that opinion is vindicated by Nani being one of the best performers over the course of the season, and Valencia and Park being outstanding since returning from injury. Nothing has changed.

We don't actually need Welbeck or Cleverley to make the step up, or to adapt to the wing, such is the strength in depth on the wings already. I often get the impression people get over-excited about winger signings and forget what we have already - 3 or 4 of the very best wingers out there.

Neither are proper wingers though. Welbeck looks aimless out wide and it would be a waste of his talents to play him there and Cleverly doesn't have the pace to play on the wing for us, imo.

Welbeck is a striker. Cleverley on the other hand can do the trick but he's no where near to Young and Giggs cant keep playing on the left flank anymore.

Both still missing the point.

Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Obertan, Cleverley, Welbeck, even Bebe and King.

What is any winger going to provide here that we don't already have? We simply don't need a winger. If we're going to sign a winger, it should be one of Nani or Valencia's standard, though it would still be money wasted in my opinion.

We run the risk of convoluting a squad that is perhaps one signing away from being perfect. That one signing is not a winger.

Who've we got 'coming through'? Larnell Cole and Jesse Lingard? Young would make our squad far, far better and give us an option who is at least somewhat at home on the left playing as a real winger. Nani cuts inside when he's there, Park's a midfielder playing there and Giggsy is more of a central midfielder now.

Again, see the above posts. We use a lot of young attacking players on the wing - if we do sign a winger, I'd go as far as to say that Welbeck and Cleverley have very little chance of making it here.

Which would be a shame, really. I'm less convinced about Cleverley, but he's definitely got the potential to be a squad player. Welbeck is an excellent talent, and we'd all be waxing lyrical about him if he wasn't already ours. Shame about his injury record, mind.

A.Young is kinda Valencia standard imo... He just hasn't made that move up yet which you maybe surprised next season if he does.

How many matches have you caught Villa KingEric ? Surely you don't rate the lad or he must have done something bad to you...

As much as I love homegrown players, if A.Young wanted a move at 12m and SAF thought he was a good deal so be it, he does have the attributes to make it, not that I don't want Cleverly or Welbeck to succeed.

Again, see the above posts. We use a lot of young attacking players on the wing - if we do sign a winger, I'd go as far as to say that Welbeck and Cleverley have very little chance of making it here.

Which would be a shame, really. I'm less convinced about Cleverley, but he's definitely got the potential to be a squad player. Welbeck is an excellent talent, and we'd all be waxing lyrical about him if he wasn't already ours. Shame about his injury record, mind.

Cleverly and Welbeck still have a lot of time, they dont' need to be rushed nor if we were in the position to push them in...

If you see that Park/Giggsy are aging while Bebe'/Obertan will either be converted to strikers/ No.10, then we only have 2 wingers available, Nani and Valencia.

Giggsy will be used more as a CM which his best performances have usually come there and Park will be used tactically. If we were to go for the win and we have either Nani/Valencia injured then seeing A.Young play for us wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like Young alot but if we are to sign a winger I would much prefer a naturally left footed option. Bale would be the ideal choice but the fee his transfer would command would put me off.

With Owen and Berbatov hardly being spring chicken, Welbeck has got a very good chance to make it as a striker for us. The opening is there.

A.Young is kinda Valencia standard imo... He just hasn't made that move up yet which you maybe surprised next season if he does.

How many matches have you caught Villa KingEric ? Surely you don't rate the lad or he must have done something bad to you...

As much as I love homegrown players, if A.Young wanted a move at 12m and SAF thought he was a good deal so be it, he does have the attributes to make it, not that I don't want Cleverly or Welbeck to succeed.

He's a good player Young, I've caught him a few times, but this is an argument I've had in another thread prior to this, and my opinion hasn't changed. I don't actually think he's been significantly better than Downing this year, though he's clearly a better player. Downing's season has been an anomaly, though I think I'm right in saying that he's their player of the season.

Cleverly and Welbeck still have a lot of time, they dont' need to be rushed nor if we were in the position to push them in...

If you see that Park/Giggsy are aging while Bebe'/Obertan will either be converted to strikers/ No.10, then we only have 2 wingers available, Nani and Valencia.

Giggsy will be used more as a CM which his best performances have usually come there and Park will be used tactically. If we were to go for the win and we have either Nani/Valencia injured then seeing A.Young play for us wouldn't be a bad idea.

The point is that, on any given day, we are likely to have, already, 4 players or so that can be used there, and that's even before taking into account that there are returning players.

If we consider that Nani and Valencia are our first choice wingers, and that Park, even in games that are not of the utmost significance, takes up a slot on the wing even if the nature of his game dictates that he moves centrally, then there are automatically three absolutely top class players vying for 2 wing slots. If there is an injury here, Giggs can move to the wing, which is what will probably happen a fair bit more next year given the likely signing of a central midfielder.

Even if we don't sign a central midfielder then, in the next few years, we are going to have to start thinking about fitting at least a couple of Welbeck, Morrison, King and Cleverley into the team. In the case of Morrison and Welbeck, taking into account their dribbling ability, I don't think it's a far-off suggestion to put forward the idea that he may spend a bit of time on the wing throughout the earlier stages of his career. These two, for me, have the ability to be a fair bit better than Welbeck. Signing Young will be a complete hinderence to these players.

There's a lot more to it than just looking at the out and out wingers we have, and seeing if we need more. The reason Fergie has managed to keep this squad so happy is because he's been able to shift players out of their natural positions, to positions such as the wing, in order to accomodate players that would otherwise be incredibly unhappy at their position and status in the squad. There are so many reasons as to why I'm against the signing of a midfielder of Young's status, but this is the main one, even if he, himself, is reasonably versatile.

With Owen and Berbatov hardly being spring chicken, Welbeck has got a very good chance to make it as a striker for us. The opening is there.

The nature of Berbatov's game suggests that he will be around a few years yet, which means that Welbeck will be approaching a fairly critical time in his development, whilst still being only a fourth choice striker (Keane and Josh King don't continue their development) in a team that demands immediate success.

Vacancies on the wing are critical to his development as much as they are also essential to his contentment with his place in the squad. Let's face it, there are times at the moment and throughout next season whereby Hernandez won't even start.

This is what we're faced with, and it makes you appreciate the very real science behind Fergie's squad policy.

Even if we don't sign a central midfielder then, in the next few years, we are going to have to start thinking about fitting at least a couple of Welbeck, Morrison, King and Cleverley into the team. In the case of Morrison and Welbeck, taking into account their dribbling ability, I don't think it's a far-off suggestion to put forward the idea that he may spend a bit of time on the wing throughout the earlier stages of his career. These two, for me, have the ability to be a fair bit better than Welbeck. Signing Young will be a complete hinderence to these players.

That is, of course, assming Fergie rates them highly enough to even see them as future United players, or seems them benefitting from a wing role. That is not taking into account Giggs's wing days surely have to end sometime and 37 is a pretty good time for it. That Park is 30 and was never the most natural winger anyway.

If someome is good enough, he will get his chance. They normally do as United. And if someone who is ahead of him should be removed for that, he will be.

I just find it funny that a lot of United fans have become little Wengers, worrying about blocking the route of young players who may or may not make it, thus being against senior signings. Might have understood that if we had a different manager, but we have Sir Alex. :wenger:

The nature of Berbatov's game suggests that he will be around a few years yet.

Berbatov is in the final year of the contract. Something will have to give pretty soon. He'll have to sign a new deal, get sold or see out his contract and be free to sign a pre contract with any club in January. Meaning United could lose anywhere between 10-15 million in transfer fees.

Berbatov is in the final year of the contract. Something will have to give pretty soon. He'll have to sign a new deal, get sold or see out his contract and be free to sign a pre contract with any club in January. Meaning United could lose anywhere between 10-15 million in transfer fees.
I thought we have an option to extend by a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.