A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the £15m touted is a little too much for Young regardless of his contract situation. I am not against him coming here but I am definitely against his price.
If Young costs £10m or £15m it doesn't really make a difference to me (although I suspect it will be closer to, or maybe even above, the latter). We've identified the player as the one we need, and even the high end of that range is perfectly acceptable for a 25 year old England international.

The fact that he only has one year left on his deal is somewhat negated by the fact that is at least one other big club in the market for him.

Yep, you have to think that if there's any consideration on our part to sign him and his part to sign for us then it'll be on the provision that there's there for a rotation role initially, and if he develops further then he can make a claim for a spot. He'd be an undeniable squad improvement and I don't think there's much first team improvement needed, centre mid aside (which maybe we're expecting to come from within).

I have to be honest I wouldn't have wanted us to sign him last summer, nor would I have wanted to sign him this summer if he hadn't played in the hole this season. He's shown areas to his game that I'd forgotten he had - which he did show at Watford, it just seems so long ago - that will develop with better players and a more sophisticated attack approach. He's shown glimpses of that for England too.

I am surprised he'd turn down the lure of first team football at Liverpool though, if it so happens.

I like the idea of having Nani and Valencia completely fresh for the end of the season, Nani has played a lot of games this season and we can see that in how his season's tailed off while we can see the opposite with Valencia. Defenders having both of them (and Young) running at them after a long, hard season isn't going to be something they look forward to I'd imagine.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a large aspect of his ability to play in the middle of the park included in our interest. Giggs has provided a different dimension to our play in the middle recently, and its highlighted what we have been missing recently.

I definitely think that Young could be moulded into playing this role - probably not as part of a midfield two but in some respect.

We really do seem to be building that most absurdly versatile squad in the history of football, if you were to count each position a player is known to be able to play to a decent level as 1 point (ie Rooney would have 3, De Gea 1, O'shea 14) we'll be looking at over 50 options, so to speak.

A pretty loose bit of logic, but I'm sure you all get the idea. It's a squad game, and ours is starting to completely take the piss.

We really do seem to be building that most absurdly versatile squad in the history of football, if you were to count each position a player is known to be able to play to a decent level as 1 point (ie Rooney would have 3, De Gea 1, O'shea 14) we'll be looking at over 50 options, so to speak.

A pretty loose bit of logic, but I'm sure you all get the idea. It's a squad game, and ours is starting to completely take the piss.

Yeah, we're becoming total football!

I know you're using quotation marks but I don't think I ever actually said that. What I said was that he was "Top 4 Material".

As for Adam, I don't think he's particularly brilliant. I just think he's a good option for little money. I have a feeling we won't spend big in central midfield because Fergie believes in the likes of Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs and perhaps even Gibson and Cleverley.

Okay fair enough it was probably an exaggeration on the Milner point, it's just this season the whole Charlie Adam bandwagon has really annoyed me.

The guy is a highlights reel player he isn't tidy enough or smart enough to play for a team like United. Even if we don't spend big (which personally I don't feel we need to) I'd imagine we would snap up a young creative option as opposed to a player who is very average to play in CM.

If SAF chose Adam I'd be very surprised I just really don't imagine him going there unless he has been blinkered by a Rangers connection or something, and I'm willing to bet 20 quid that it is a transfer that won't happen!

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a large aspect of his ability to play in the middle of the park included in our interest. Giggs has provided a different dimension to our play in the middle recently, and its highlighted what we have been missing recently.

I definitely think that Young could be moulded into playing this role - probably not as part of a midfield two but in some respect.

He'd be no more a midfielder than Rooney. Young has played and impressed in the hole.

I like this. It's certainly true to an extent - we have our favoured style of play but the real strength of United over the last few seasons is the ability to adapt our team around all sorts of situations and conditions.

Okay fair enough it was probably an exaggeration on the Milner point, it's just this season the whole Charlie Adam bandwagon has really annoyed me.

The guy is a highlights reel player he isn't tidy enough or smart enough to play for a team like United. Even if we don't spend big (which personally I don't feel we need to) I'd imagine we would snap up a young creative option as opposed to a player who is very average to play in CM.

If SAF chose Adam I'd be very surprised I just really don't imagine him going there unless he has been blinkered by a Rangers connection or something, and I'm willing to bet 20 quid that it is a transfer that won't happen!

I share a similar opinion on Adam to be honest. I've never been banging the drum for us to sign him or anything like that. I just have a feeling Fergie fancies him.

From what you've said I rate him slightly higher though. I think if he was signed he'd be a handy player to have around and would possibly thrive in the environment.

I watched a lot of Blackpool (not saying you haven't) and he would often play passes that turned over possession, he can't dictate tempo he just tries hollywood passes that for Blackpool may have some use but we have no desire for a player who is basically Scholes if he was completely blind.

I think someone posted chalkboards of his passing which further demonstrated how inconsistent his passing is.

Here is an interesting one Milner or Adam?

(and perhaps we should actually move this to the Adam thread)

I share a similar opinion on Adam to be honest. I've never been banging the drum for us to sign him or anything like that. I just have a feeling Fergie fancies him.

From what you've said I rate him slightly higher though. I think if he was signed he'd be a handy player to have around and would possibly thrive in the environment.

I have to confess to suspecting that SAF has one eye on him. He is not United class in my opinion, but there again neither is Fletcher or O'Shea in my opinion. :nervous:

Wherever he ends up, you can be sure the move was already sorted out in January.

based almost entirely on his performance on Tuesday, I would want us to sign Beckham rather than Adam. Can do everything Adam can do, and I reckon he has better fitness.

You don't think Fletcher is United quality? pfffffft

I won't even begin to debate the O'Shea one because it takes more than a 'pffffffft'.

Had two separate texts from mates that are Villa fans, saying that Villa will sign for £15million when the transfer window opens.

Something about an agreement in principle has been agreed - looking more and more likely that he was the player identified and effectively signed (for all intents and purposes) back in January.

Too much competition can make the current players take a step backwards though. Inevitably, if we'd bought a Sanchez or a Hazard they'd have cost bucketloads and they'd have been starting the majority of games. That would have meant we would have stunted the progression of Nani/Valencia/Hernandez, to whatever degree.

This won't, I don't think. It adds another player who will be happy to rotate.

Competition can also often bring out the best in players, and when you factor in injuries and dips in form it shouldn't be a huge problem whichever player you brought in with the same versatility.

Because they're the next big thing and will be mega awesome and 100% no matter what definitely be a better, more Premiership proven player than Young is when they're 25. And at only twice the price.

Duh.

Only I never said that at all, sorry for having a view that isn't just overjoyed at this signing.

He's the type of player that needs the team to be built around him, but he's not good enough to have a good team built around him.
I agree. People compare him to Scholes cause of the passes that he manages to pull off, but he isn't close to Scholes in anything other passing (which he isn't close on either tbh). Workrate and defensive positioning a mile off, could never be a top class 442 player imo, and that is what we need in a CM. would run a mile from Adam. If we want a 'cheap' domestic signing I would go for Parker, but that wouldn't be anywhere near first choice either.

Competition can also often bring out the best in players, and when you factor in injuries and dips in form it shouldn't be a huge problem whichever player you brought in with the same versatility.

Only I never said that at all, sorry for having a view that isn't just overjoyed at this signing.

The bottom line is we realistically can't have a squad of 25 world class players. The squad must consist of players at different tiers.

Had two separate texts from mates that are Villa fans, saying that Villa will sign for £15million when the transfer window opens.

Something about an agreement in principle has been agreed - looking more and more likely that he was the player identified and effectively signed (for all intents and purposes) back in January.

:drool:

David-Villa11.jpg

...for £15million will be tremendous.

I personally think Young would be an excellent signing and I'm baffled why anyone would be disappointed with the move. His game seems perfectly suited for us. People are probably just worried that signing him means we don't strengthen elsewhere. I'd say De Gea, Young and a good central midfielder would be excellent business this summer.

The bottom line is we realistically can't have a squad of 25 world class players. The squad must consist of players at different tiers.

None of the players I was suggesting are really world class Sultan, in fact I've never even crapped on Young or failed to acknowledge he's a solid signing, I'm just sick of the attitude that because I'm not overly excited by Young and would have preferred another option it somehow makes me a muppet or whatever. I don't think I've posted anything harsh or way out there.

That's true, but do you think that Nani seems like the type of personality/player to relish competition of that level? I'm not sure I see that as something that will bring the best out of him, I think he's just after having an excellent season when he was the player our team looked to, when he was the player so much of our attacking play went through and when he could see that the team had a great deal of trust in his ability to do so.

I don't know, I just see it as possibly setting him back a bit - he's always came across as somewhat of a timid character in comparison to others in our team - and I think he's still got to push on further and establish himself for another season before he feels fully comfortable with his role and stature in the team before being ready to fight off top class competition.

I wouldn't want to bring in someone who is potentially top class if it was going to hinder Nani's ability to reach that level, I don't think Young would do that.

That's true, but do you think that Nani seems like the type of personality/player to relish competition of that level? I'm not sure I see that as something that will bring the best out of him, I think he's just after having an excellent season when he was the player our team looked to, when he was the player so much of our attacking play went through and when he could see that the team had a great deal of trust in his ability to do so.

I don't know, I just see it as possibly setting him back a bit - he's always came across as somewhat of a timid character in comparison to others in our team - and I think he's still got to push on further and establish himself for another season before he feels fully comfortable with his role and stature in the team before being ready to fight off top class competition.

I wouldn't want to bring in someone who is potentially top class if it was going to hinder Nani's ability to reach that level, I don't think Young would do that.

I've always felt that if a player pulls on a United shirt his mentality should be that he can win a starting place no matter who is in the squad, obviously there are a few exceptions but top players don't start out thinking of being utility guys.

Nani has had his first battle with this when he was made to switch flanks, I've heard all the stuff about it being a myth that he can't play as well on the left, but both Nani and Sir Alex have stated he prefers the right and enjoys his football more there, so already he is adjusting to being usurped.

If Young comes in I fully expect him to be of the view that he can force Nani out, no less or more so than a Hazard or Sanchez, so either way I think Nani's mental toughness will be tested and I don't see Fergie looking at the signing of Young as being a good option because he wont force Nani out or hamper his growth, he'll be expecting a 26 year old England international to put pressure on both Nani and Valencia.

I'm not anti-Young, all the players being discussed bar Hazard are within roughly 3 years of each other, I just personally feel there are some with more upside than Young.

I agree. People compare him to Scholes cause of the passes that he manages to pull off, but he isn't close to Scholes in anything other passing (which he isn't close on either tbh). Workrate and defensive positioning a mile off, could never be a top class 442 player imo, and that is what we need in a CM. would run a mile from Adam. If we want a 'cheap' domestic signing I would go for Parker, but that wouldn't be anywhere near first choice either.

They are quite similiar when it comes to tackling - both of them suck at it :)

The fact that he only has one year left on his deal is somewhat negated by the fact that is at least one other big club in the market for him.

The thing he does not want to move to Liverpool. He wants his 'dream' move to Old Trafford. So I am sure he can wait for another six months. We can at least wait till January.

The thing he does not want to move to Liverpool. He wants his 'dream' move to Old Trafford. So I am sure he can wait for another six months. We can at least wait till January.

Why? To knock off a few millions off the price? Come on, if the manager wants him and the price is deemed reasonable to the club, what do we care?

He told you that personally did he?

Christ.

Seriously? Why would we want to sign Villa now that we have Hernandez?

Don't get me wrong top, top player, but i am struggling to see how he would fit into our system?

I'm fine with Young as long as:
1) we don't sign Adam (though signing Adam has little to do with Young so it's a bit pointless remark. Oh well.)
2) we DO sign a quality central midfielder. I hope Fergie isn't planning on getting away again with not signing one.

I've always felt that if a player pulls on a United shirt his mentality should be that he can win a starting place no matter who is in the squad, obviously there are a few exceptions but top players don't start out thinking of being utility guys.

Nani has had his first battle with this when he was made to switch flanks, I've heard all the stuff about it being a myth that he can't play as well on the left, but both Nani and Sir Alex have stated he prefers the right and enjoys his football more there, so already he is adjusting to being usurped.

If Young comes in I fully expect him to be of the view that he can force Nani out, no less or more so than a Hazard or Sanchez, so either way I think Nani's mental toughness will be tested and I don't see Fergie looking at the signing of Young as being a good option because he wont force Nani out or hamper his growth, he'll be expecting a 26 year old England international to put pressure on both Nani and Valencia.

I'm not anti-Young, all the players being discussed bar Hazard are within roughly 3 years of each other, I just personally feel there are some with more upside than Young.

You're defending your point so strongly and I don't understand why, I'm not trying to attack it! You well know I respect your opinion, I don't want it to be taken the wrong way. I understand what you're saying, but these players that have more upside than Young...they include our players too. The same can't be said of Hazard or Sanchez, they have more upside than our players. They will, without doubt, be forcing one of our players to be pushed out of the squad. That's my point. It might improve squad quality to more of a degree but that's not the only factor, it could make our squad balance worse.

I've no doubt that he'd be brought in to bring competition as well as to offer options, and he won't come if he doesn't believe that at some point he will be in contention for a first team place, but he'll not come here expecting to be given one and he won't expect it immediately. Sanchez will. Hazard will. I don't think the primary reason for us going in for Young would be because he's happy to be a squad player, absolutely not, but the fact that he wouldn't demand a spot is surely a factor. I'd imagine the primary reason is value.

You're defending your point so strongly and I don't understand why, I'm not trying to attack it! You well know I respect your opinion, I don't want it to be taken the wrong way. I understand what you're saying, but these players that have more upside than Young...they include our players too. The same can't be said of Hazard or Sanchez, they have more upside than our players. They will, without doubt, be forcing one of our players to be pushed out of the squad. That's my point. It might improve squad quality to more of a degree but that's not the only factor, it could make our squad balance worse.

I've no doubt that he'd be brought in to bring competition as well as to offer options, and he won't come if he doesn't believe that at some point he will be in contention for a first team place, but he'll not come here expecting to be given one and he won't expect it immediately. Sanchez will. Hazard will. I don't think the primary reason for us going in for Young would be because he's happy to be a squad player, absolutely not, but the fact that he wouldn't demand a spot is surely a factor. I'd imagine the primary reason is value.

If you felt my post was an attack towards you that was not my intention as I respect your views as well. I just was trying to make it as clear as possible, given some comments in here, that I was not on some muppet crusade simply becasue I felt as I do. We clearly agree on the two players I favour but we are taking two different slants on how healthy it could be for the squad, which is fair enough.

I'm not so sure Young doesn't see it the same way Hazard and Sanchez would, I mean all three are main men in their respective second tier teams, and I think all three would come here with the same goals and intentions, of course it's mere speculation as we don't know how any of them think, I do think you are right about value, espeically in the case of Young vs Sanchez, and I understand that if we are working to tighter margins than Gill and co suggest.

It's all abit of a premature talk where there isn't even a hint of United signing the player except paper talk. He might not even be on our radar for all we know

astute signing, especially if the £10m price is true. If he arrived, he'd basically be the only direct LW in the squad and would allow us to rest Nani more.

If anyone thinks this will hamper our ambition to buy a CM, they are wrong. In fact, i think the way this transfer window is shaping up it means we are after a stellar player to fill that role. We will get the bulk of our buying out the way (De Gea,Young,Varne) even before the window is officially open, then sit back and have a long drawn out negotiation with our main CM target, letting the other team sweat it out, getting the best price possible and hold the other team to ransom as such (knowing they will have less time to replace the departing player)

Sneijder or Modric, im guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.