A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought it was an interesting stat and shows how productive Young is.

He takes the penalties!

If I took the penalties and all the freekicks over the course of a season, even I would end up with stats that didn't look too bad.

Not sure about this one at all.

Not sure if he'd add anything that Nani, Valencia and Park don't offer us already. When we signed Valencia we obviously had a gap because of Ronaldo's departure. At this moment not sure we have a slot for him in our team.

I disagree with you. If you look at what United have done over the last 1-2 years since Ronaldo left and it's been about team spirit and collective responsibility.

With Ronaldo everything went through Ronaldo - just as with van Nistelrooy and the team tended to rely on 1-2 players. With other players having to shoulder the responsibility we are actually a better team. SAF is looking for players to make us a better team - they don't need to be better players than we already have. They could be just as good or slightly worse - BUT - they either offer great potential (fully realised whilst training at United) or they offer something that will contribute something to the team.

I don't agree about the similarities with the Ruud and Ronaldo era's, especially Ruud when everything wasn't about Ruud, it was mostly our defense that cost us, not to mention the Bellion's, the Forlan's, the Djemba's that didn't work out. We were in the process of evolving and too bad for Ruud that our defense at that time didn't have Vidic and a GK called VDS.

We need a left-sided player. No doubt about that. The beauty about Young is that he can do the left, the right or play through the centre. Waht does this do?
Yes, but this applies to many players.

Let's go back to the evolvement of Manchester United

SAF has been maturing in Europe - no doubt about that. We were often knocked out in Europe in earlier rounds than we should have been knocked out - even with our resources and even with GREAT players. Meanwhile, Mourinho has been able to get to European Finals & Semi-Finals seemingly at will with inferior players.
This is an overstatement about SAF vs Mou... SAF didn't have all the resources, all the GREAT players you claimed. Our defense was in shambles. Silvestre and Rio didn't gel and we never had a GK reliable enough during those days. We were knocked out because our back four wasn't consistent... Incomparable really to nowadays as it seems that we've finished and completed the defense that we really worked on.

Mou got lucky at OT, no surprise that it came from a GK mistake and a referee mistake...

After that, I'd dare say Mou spent way more money than SAF and got in the latter stages of the CL everytime. He's main strength was a sorted our defense which was no surprise really that he got Carvalho from Porto and built a decent back four before thinking about the attack.

There is no doubt in my mind that SAF has learned from Queiroz and Mourinho about playing in Europe. I personally believe that now he has caught up with Mourinho. He can play it cagier now at the back but without losing a huge amount of attacking impetus. We are a better team going forward and much less predictable.
Not sure how you worked this out unless you had access to SAF's talks with both CQ and Mou.

Learnt or not learnt, it was mainly the defense issue that cost us games during that time.

I believe that Pep Guardio is the manager of the moment though. Barcelona are a very difficult team to beat. They let in very few goals (look at their La Liga record this season) although in Europe they've conceded twice as many goals as we have. If you look at their goals scored they've scored more goals than anyone in their domestic league (compare to all the domestic leagues in Europe) and 27 in the Champions League so far compared to our 18.
With the players they have, they should score this amount, credit to Pep though, he's done an excellent job after Rikjaard lost the plot and the way he gives chances to the youth was similar to what SAF did. Good manager and vastly underrated here.

Barcelona play a very mobile attack. Inesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Pedro etc will not necessarily have fixed positions - not in attack at least. In defence they will be structured, but in attack their mobility is sensational.
Yes, Reading back to Cryuff's comments, I think its mostly because they've stablized their formation and their quick pressing and the way that they have players near the ball everytime really works out for them. They are the team to beat but I'm sure its not an impossible feat.

This is Ferguson's next step. It is not necessarily about getting Sanchez, Aguero etc. or the next big thing. It is really about getting players that can bring something to the team. Young does that. He is not a naturally selfish player like Ronaldo or Nani. His final ball is good, he can take players on and he'll give us penetration down the left, or through the middle or even on the right as he can use both feet.
Not sure about the big next step though as Nani and Valencia at the moment are clearly better players but yes, his unselfish play and crosses are pretty decent. Also has a good amount of pace and can dribble. Would definitely strengthen the squad ( but we also need to get rid of one of Ober/Bebe' to fit Young in imo. )

This will give us a less predictable attack. If we're playing Valencia or Nani, Rooney, Park, Giggs or Anderson these players can interchange their positions and as we get more mature we will be less predictable - especially now that with Hernandez in situ Rooney has been released from HAVING to stay up front to being our playmaker - which is his preferred position (although he can score many goals as the lead striker - this is kind of foreign to him).
Our attack really wasn't predictable really... You have Ronaldo playing in any of the front three positions... How is that predictable ?? ( Comparing to the Ronaldo era ) I think that they've focused too much on comparing this team with the one that Ronaldo was in...

Still though, we create a hefty amount of chances and we still play with the same style and flair.

I would love to sign the Sanchezes or the Agueros of this world, but the other thing we need to look at is the need for more English players with the quota system. We're losing MANY English players apart from VDS in goal (Brown possibly), Neville, Scholes possibly, Giggs soon (Welsh but qualifies as homegrown), Hargreaves & Michael Owen. So we do need to watch the non-English guys we're bringing in.
Don't forget that we have Cleverly, Welbeck coming back. We've also got Evans and Smalling coming up really nice and the twins are homegrown.

Fletch/Carrick/Rooney... we've got the most UK players in our squad compared to the likes of the renties, Le'Arse, Liverpool so I'm not worried about this category.

We've made very few mistakes this year (apart from losing away matches). SAF's substitutions have been spot on, team selections have been odd at times but they've worked, and signings by-and-large have been spot on (jury's out on Bebe).

In fact I generally think the decisions we're making are for the good of the team & team blending more so than signing players because they are outstanding. The beauty about this policy is that players don't have to cost the earth - so the signings of Berbatov (even though he's scored 20 goals this season!) become rarer - our decision making would show us now 'what does this guy bring to the team'. Hmmm he'd sow our general play down which is to the detriment of the team and would mean that instead of the team playing at a quicker tempo which makes them more difficult to beat, we play at a slower tempo which makes us easier to beat.
Pretty Harsh on Berba, easier to beat doesn't come down to one player though.

Although this person could score 20 goals a season - would we be better off getting a player who speeds our general play up and maybe stretches their defence. Who is like that - Hernandez. Let's get him - then we can pick up players who cost us a lot cheaper as they are less established or less fancied although give tons to our team. Remember Cantona was very cheap!

Cantona was cheap ? No sir'ee...

Also, theres a huge gamble as there are the Hernandez's that will fit well, the Forlans that don't work and the Bellion's who are never United quality...

So I say bring him in here. I've liked him when I've seen him play for England. And if we're talking about transfer fees of £15m rather than the £30m+ for Sanchez I say bring it on (although I love Sanchez he might be a luxury!)

Yes, bring him in if he's 15m... Should improve the team, Move giggsy to be a full time CM and we'll rotate the Park/Nani/Young/Valencia/Cleverly...

Not sure about this one at all.

Not sure if he'd add anything that Nani, Valencia and Park don't offer us already. When we signed Valencia we obviously had a gap because of Ronaldo's departure. At this moment not sure we have a slot for him in our team.

If we sign him then SAF must see a gap for him; isn't that enough to make us happy about the transfer?

We saw this season that we were vulnerable to being a little short on quality wingers, and only Nani's stunning contribution kept us afloat for long periods. We know SAF likes to rotate our midfield four/five frequently, including the wingers; with that in mind, would you not think the addition of a Prem-proven, pacey and traditional winger with excellent delivery and end-product such as Young might benefit this very squad-based set-up?

I'd be delighted if this happens, Young is a cracking winger, I don't really understand why he hasn't featured more for England. And I wasn't particularly expecting us to buy one this summer, so this will be a belting bonus. With three young, talented, genuine out and out wingers at the club we'll have some attacking threat. I think perhaps Fergie realises just what a difference Valencia coming back has made, we do look a far better side with him, mainly because we don't have fantastic similar replacements when he's injured

I'd be delighted if this happens, Young is a cracking winger, I don't really understand why he hasn't featured more for England. And I wasn't particularly expecting us to buy one this summer, so this will be a belting bonus. With three young, talented, genuine out and out wingers at the club we'll have some attacking threat. I think perhaps Fergie realises just what a difference Valencia coming back has made, we do look a far better side with him, mainly because we don't have fantastic similar replacements when he's injured

Always gives us a chance to rotate between three out and out wingers in Nani, Valencia and Young throughout the season and not lose out on the quality of service from the flanks.

feck me, I might frame that multi-quote saga and put it on my wall.

Then masturbate.

Young is the player most journos seem to think we made an offer for in January.

FinishHim.png

I think its more about Park being away, Valencia injured and Giggsy plays better in a CM role.

Leaving us with only Nani.

So if we move Giggsy to CM full time, theres no doubt that another winger would be essential. ( Not that I don't have hopes for Cleverly to make it, but Young would surely make more of an impact in the first team )

Young is the player most journos seem to think we made an offer for in January.

It'd make sense, he's the only one who fits the bill as definitely leaving. The only other real candidate was Rodwell but Moyes has been pretty adamant about keeping him. With Young it seems there's almost a resignation from Villa and he clapped all four corners of Villa Park when he came off in the last game - as if to say goodbye.

If reports are correct, it

"Winning trophies is one thing and that’s something that Liverpool will be able to offer Young in the future. More important for a professional footballer, however, is securing regular first-team football." - Sounds like Kewell...

This Young nonsense needs to stop. Would be a pointless signing.

He offers very little that our other wingers don't, and would hinder other players coming through.

He offers very little that our other wingers don't, and would hinder other players coming through.
Well, if it happens, write a strongly worded letter to SAF, pointing out his foolishness.

If so, what kind of winger You see proper for Premiership... Douglas Costa, Eden Hazard, someone else ?

Who are these other wingers that we have coming through at this moment in time?

He's relatively young, quick, skillfull, talented and English. A good signing in my book.

Why does everyone assume Liverpool are going to win trophies in the near future? There are at least 4 teams in England who are better than them, most of which have greater financial capabilities, and that shows no signs of changing.

Why does everyone assume Liverpool are going to win trophies in the near future? There are at least 4 teams in England who are better than them, most of which have greater financial capabilities, and that shows no signs of changing.

Aye. Can't see how Eden Hazard after winning Ligue 1 and qualifying for Champions League would suddenly say... "I'm going to Liverpool. It's On !"

Young propably have bigger ambitions than playing in one team with N'Gog.

Who've we got 'coming through'? Larnell Cole and Jesse Lingard? Young would make our squad far, far better and give us an option who is at least somewhat at home on the left playing as a real winger. Nani cuts inside when he's there, Park's a midfielder playing there and Giggsy is more of a central midfielder now.

I don't doubt that Young could be decent for us, but for £15m I'd rather get a winger that offers something different. Nani plays virtually the same role and is the better player. I'd rather we get a left footed winger.

Wouldn't be a jizz in my pants type muppet signing, but a very handy signing nonetheless. Wouldn't break the bank as he is heading toward the end of his contract, relatively young, English and a productive player.

As people have already pointed out in terms of his stats, those are his stats for Villa. If you look at Valencia's stats for Wigan they were worse, he would only improve with United. Imagine SAF being able to chose from Nani, Valencia and Young and presuming they were all fit to have whichever player was left out to bring of the bench would be phenomenal.

Young would be a fantastic signing but if it means we don't get a central midfielder then I hope we don't get him. That's what we need more imo.

His set pieces have been gash.

Well putting that nonsensical statement to one side for a moment, what did you mean by if Rooney put his mind to it? Do yu think he's just been message around all this time, not really trying with his set pieces? If Young's have 'gash' then I'd struggle to find a term to describe how bad Rooney's have been.

don't be so ignorant!!

If he comes he he's coming to be a first teamer otherwise what would be the point?!

Do you mean ignorant in the Lancashire manner, that is ill-mannered, or ignorant meaning short on knowedge?

Either way if you're suggesting Young would be an immediate first choice then you're wrong. He would compete for games, and importantly share game-time, with our existing wide players. Which would make him a squad player. Pillock.

Young would be a fantastic signing but if it means we don't get a central midfielder then I hope we don't get him. That's what we need more imo.

True that. I can't see us buying Young with our current complement of wingers anyway. The 4 main widemen are all reliable while Obertan and Bebe still have much to prove. He would obviously want to progress his career with some guarantees of first team football. We clearly won't be able to offer him enough games.

I would prefer if additional wing options came from within. Give youngsters like Cleverley and Morrison their chance to prove they are better options than Obertan and Bebe.

I hope we don't pay silly money for Young.

Yes, he's a good player and his versatility will be an asset, but he's also never really been consistent and proved he can step up and perform all season. It's easy to shine at a club like Villa where expectations are just breaking into the top 8. But at United he'll be scrutinized every game.

If we get him for 15 million that's fair enough but if it comes at the cost of a world class midfielder then I really don't see the point of it. I like Young, but if we keep Nani and Valencia and have Park and Giggs and even Fabio and Raphael for the wings if needed then where exactly does Young slot in?

I hope we don't pay silly money for Young.

Yes, he's a good player and his versatility will be an asset, but he's also never really been consistent and proved he can step up and perform all season. It's easy to shine at a club like Villa where expectations are just breaking into the top 8. But at United he'll be scrutinized every game.

If we get him for 15 million that's fair enough but if it comes at the cost of a world class midfielder then I really don't see the point of it. I like Young, but if we keep Nani and Valencia and have Park and Giggs and even Fabio and Raphael for the wings if needed then where exactly does Young slot in?

he's only got 12months left. He won't be sold for any more than £15mil but that would be an absolute maximum.

Twitter: According to talkSPORT, Ashley Young's move to #MUFC expected to be completed "in days".

Christ on a bike. No thanks.

It is looking increasingly like next week we'll have announcements over Varane, Young and DeGea... Still not wowed by Young personally, but he's English and would be good to have another option at LW

You realize this was a the consensus of some people here when Valencia was bought?

He's a good purchase if true, and not very expensive considering he's English.

Nah man, I was always in favour of Valencia. Young is one player who I've never been convinced by. Added to that, the wings are one of our strongest area in the pitch along with centre forward and central defense, a midfielder would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.