A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
No arguments here but they aren't bad reserves.

As long as they stay in the reserves...

If Nani/Valencia are out, we have no pacey, tricky winger to replace them. With that sort of contribution so vital to us, it's makes signing Young very sensible. He may not be called Sanchez but he could be a very good fit.

The appetite for this seems very similar to the reaction the Valencia rumours got.

I wanted Young ages ago, long before we went for Valencia. I have no doubt he would improve under us, and I think right now he's a great player, but as time has gone on we've needed him less and less. Right now I find it hard to see where he could play, and if he would be truly happy with a squad-based role for the immediate future.

If he is, then I suppose it's just strengthening our wings, which is no bad thing.

Because they really need a winger who can cross and really need a bit of English in them and don't have a lot of competition to buy him. Seriously.

Varane is very strongly linked here. De Gea is signed. Ferguson said he was looking to buy 2-3 players this summer. In Fergie language that means 0-4. Young isn't going to be one of those buys.

City have nothing to do with him. They don't use his kind. They like the diamond formation the most. Or Silva on the left but mostly spending time in the middle. Arsenal are the same way. They won't get him unless Wenger changes tactic.

Chelsea are a big questionmark. Really depends on the manager how they will play.

I for one don't see him anywhere near the top teams. He's exactly what Liverpool needs and that's why they'll get him. Liverpool buying Ashley Young makes more sense than Arsenal buying a keeper.

I suspect it's going to be around 8-10million with either Gibson or Cleverly going along. It would be absolutely fantastic with Young's addition as he would guarantee at least 10 goals and countless assist every season. Setpieces, pace, long range shots, finishing, all you want in a top class winger. A lot of us are underestimating his qualities, cos he would be England's first choice had he been in a bigger club.

Young started 34 premier league games this season, scoring 7 goals (4 of which were penalties). The previous season he scored 5 premier league goals in 37 starts. I'm struggling to see how he would get a similar amount of playing time at United. His record for assists, while impressive, is no match for that of Nani, and the defensive side of his game is hardly in Valencia's class. So unless he makes an astonishing improvement, he would be the back up for Valencia and Nani and then you've got Park featuring in all the big games; in which case there's little chance of him getting near 10 goals or countless assists.

Young started 34 premier league games this season, scoring 7 goals (4 of which were penalties). The previous season he scored 5 premier league goals in 37 starts. I'm struggling to see how he would get a similar amount of playing time at United. His record for assists, while impressive, is no match for that of Nani, and the defensive side of his game is hardly in Valencia's class.

Can we just qualify that with the team mates he's been providing assists for, in the main it's been Heskey, Carew and Abonglahor (with Bent since January)?

I don't think it's unfeasible to expect a bit of a jump with him playing in the United team. Besides, he'd add depth and at last a decent set piece.

The appetite for this seems very similar to the reaction the Valencia rumours got.

I really wanted us to sign Valencia, I thought he was a perfect fit, I just don't see the benefit to Young as he's not as good as what we've already got.

We also brought Valencia with a view to address the gap we had after Ronaldo left, I'm not so sure we have the same requirements now, as not only are both wings covered, but by better players.

Actually N'Zogbia is a good player. Always liked him. Not easily compared with Young though.

He is a decent player, no doubt about it. But I don't see how he's "better" than Ashley Young.

Could see him at Liverpool or back in the North East.

We also brought Valencia with a view to address the gap we had after Ronaldo left, I'm not so sure we have the same requirements now, as not only are both wings covered, but by better players.

yea, that too.

But it's not just about who starts. We had a young Giggs then, a younger Park, maybe expectation about other young players. Now we surely can't keep using Giggs on the wing, while Park is 30 and was never the most natural winger around. It means the wings, so vital for our play, don't have that much quality cover.

Dunno where this "he's great at set pieces" business comes from. He's not anywhere near top class them, a player like Rooney would have a much better success rate if he puts his mind to it.

But it's not just about who starts. We had a young Giggs then, a younger Park, maybe expectation about other young players. Now we surely can't keep using Giggs on the wing, while Park is 30 and was never the most natural winger around. It means the wings, so vital for our play, don't have that much quality cover.

It's not even been two whole years yet, not sure things have really changed all that much, apart from us developing our wings to fantastic players. Giggs was 35, and Park was 28 back then.

We have cover through Giggs and Park, if we had to we can put Fletcher/Anderson on the wings, although that's not ideal. Obertan/Bebe both in support, or at least I hope they might be able to offer support after summer, but let's not count them for argument sake.

I'm not saying we can't do with Young, but I'd be surprised if he's willing to trade starts for a squad position. If he is, so be it, quality extra cover.

A.Valencia's 89 games for Wigan: 7 goals & 8 assists. A.Young's last 89 games for A.Villa: 18 goals & 26 assists

That makes Young look a far better player but stats dont always give a true reflection.

Young has played a lot of games centrally now, and takes most of the free kicks and set pieces for Villa.

Both are good players mind, but offer me a right winger id take Valencia!

Young started 34 premier league games this season, scoring 7 goals (4 of which were penalties). The previous season he scored 5 premier league goals in 37 starts. I'm struggling to see how he would get a similar amount of playing time at United. His record for assists, while impressive, is no match for that of Nani, and the defensive side of his game is hardly in Valencia's class. So unless he makes an astonishing improvement, he would be the back up for Valencia and Nani and then you've got Park featuring in all the big games; in which case there's little chance of him getting near 10 goals or countless assists.

And how many goals did Valencia score for Wigan - and how many assists did he have ? It's slightly easier to score and create things with good teammates.

He's a bloody Englishman that knows Premiership quite well.

I'm the muppet for that transfer, all the way.

I disagree with you. If you look at what United have done over the last 1-2 years since Ronaldo left and it's been about team spirit and collective responsibility.

With Ronaldo everything went through Ronaldo - just as with van Nistelrooy and the team tended to rely on 1-2 players. With other players having to shoulder the responsibility we are actually a better team. SAF is looking for players to make us a better team - they don't need to be better players than we already have. They could be just as good or slightly worse - BUT - they either offer great potential (fully realised whilst training at United) or they offer something that will contribute something to the team.

We need a left-sided player. No doubt about that. The beauty about Young is that he can do the left, the right or play through the centre. Waht does this do?

Let's go back to the evolvement of Manchester United

SAF has been maturing in Europe - no doubt about that. We were often knocked out in Europe in earlier rounds than we should have been knocked out - even with our resources and even with GREAT players. Meanwhile, Mourinho has been able to get to European Finals & Semi-Finals seemingly at will with inferior players.

There is no doubt in my mind that SAF has learned from Queiroz and Mourinho about playing in Europe. I personally believe that now he has caught up with Mourinho. He can play it cagier now at the back but without losing a huge amount of attacking impetus. We are a better team going forward and much less predictable.

I believe that Pep Guardio is the manager of the moment though. Barcelona are a very difficult team to beat. They let in very few goals (look at their La Liga record this season) although in Europe they've conceded twice as many goals as we have. If you look at their goals scored they've scored more goals than anyone in their domestic league (compare to all the domestic leagues in Europe) and 27 in the Champions League so far compared to our 18.

Barcelona play a very mobile attack. Inesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Pedro etc will not necessarily have fixed positions - not in attack at least. In defence they will be structured, but in attack their mobility is sensational.

This is Ferguson's next step. It is not necessarily about getting Sanchez, Aguero etc. or the next big thing. It is really about getting players that can bring something to the team. Young does that. He is not a naturally selfish player like Ronaldo or Nani. His final ball is good, he can take players on and he'll give us penetration down the left, or through the middle or even on the right as he can use both feet.

This will give us a less predictable attack. If we're playing Valencia or Nani, Rooney, Park, Giggs or Anderson these players can interchange their positions and as we get more mature we will be less predictable - especially now that with Hernandez in situ Rooney has been released from HAVING to stay up front to being our playmaker - which is his preferred position (although he can score many goals as the lead striker - this is kind of foreign to him).

I would love to sign the Sanchezes or the Agueros of this world, but the other thing we need to look at is the need for more English players with the quota system. We're losing MANY English players apart from VDS in goal (Brown possibly), Neville, Scholes possibly, Giggs soon (Welsh but qualifies as homegrown), Hargreaves & Michael Owen. So we do need to watch the non-English guys we're bringing in.

We've made very few mistakes this year (apart from losing away matches). SAF's substitutions have been spot on, team selections have been odd at times but they've worked, and signings by-and-large have been spot on (jury's out on Bebe).

In fact I generally think the decisions we're making are for the good of the team & team blending more so than signing players because they are outstanding. The beauty about this policy is that players don't have to cost the earth - so the signings of Berbatov (even though he's scored 20 goals this season!) become rarer - our decision making would show us now 'what does this guy bring to the team'. Hmmm he'd sow our general play down which is to the detriment of the team and would mean that instead of the team playing at a quicker tempo which makes them more difficult to beat, we play at a slower tempo which makes us easier to beat.

Although this person could score 20 goals a season - would we be better off getting a player who speeds our general play up and maybe stretches their defence. Who is like that - Hernandez. Let's get him - then we can pick up players who cost us a lot cheaper as they are less established or less fancied although give tons to our team. Remember Cantona was very cheap!

So I say bring him in here. I've liked him when I've seen him play for England. And if we're talking about transfer fees of £15m rather than the £30m+ for Sanchez I say bring it on (although I love Sanchez he might be a luxury!)

Let's cut the stat debate out of this, different teams, different environments now actually they were playing different positions now too so let it be...

True, as far as comparisons go.

But his stats on their own say that Young is a highly effective player, they don't mean everything but it would be stupid to ignore them.

I keep saying it but the idea that Nani is worse on the left is a myth, he's put some fantastic performances in on that side, and even when he plays on the right he drifts and swaps wings.
Nani has had fantastic performances on each side, but for his entire career at Utd he's always been more consistent on the right.

It is a shame he got that injury just as Tony V was returning, as I would have liked to see him move onto the left while he was still playing bloody well to see if he could carry that consistency over. I really hope he can learn to do that, but we're still waiting to see it.

Dunno where this "he's great at set pieces" business comes from. He's not anywhere near top class them, a player like Rooney would have a much better success rate if he puts his mind to it.

How have you come to this masterful deduction?

Um...considering Young is a better left winger than Nani, and Nani on the right is more potent than Valencia, wouldn't Young replace Valencia?

Of course, you have other semantics, like if the players sustain injuries.

Because I don't think he's a better left winger than Nani, I thought that went without saying.

So, fancy the bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.