A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our set pieces are unacceptably poor, Young would sort that out straight away.

This is the only good reason I can see for bringing in Ashley Young.

As a winger he is nowhere near Giggs, Nani or Valencia, and he does not possess the other attributes which Park has. Okay, if Giggs is moving centrally or preparing for retirement, then maybe Young is a useful squad player in the younger age bracket. I just don't think he turns up against the better teams. To me he belongs at a mid-table club.

A player like Sanchez or Hazard has that bit of magic which Young lacks. Young can't even force his way into the England team past the likes of Walcott and Aaron Lennon. How is he going to force his way past Nani or Valencia?

But his set pieces do weigh in his favor.

Why do people keep wanting us to buy players who will force their way past Nani and Valencia?

I don't look at it as forcing out, I look at it more as giving them a challenge for a regular starting spot, that is good for the squad, in the way that Hernandez has challenged Berbatov for the starting striker spot.

Why do people keep wanting us to buy players who will force their way past Nani and Valencia?

The only two wingers who would certainly put Nani/Valencia on the bench are Messi/Ronaldo. Sanchez will add some decent competition altough he impressed mostly as a striker and not as a winger.

I don't look at it as forcing out, I look at it more as giving them a challenge for a regular starting spot, that is good for the squad, in the way that Hernandez has challenged Berbatov for the starting striker spot.
For the wing we really don't need that. We are better of just having 4 totally different wingers. Right now we have 3. Valencia, Park and Nani are nothing alike. Id' like us to add a 4th to that. Young and Sanchez are 2 players who are totally different from the ones we have. Either of them would suit us perfectly.

For the wing we really don't need that. We are better of just having 4 totally different wingers. Right now we have 3. Valencia, Park and Nani are nothing alike. Id' like us to add a 4th to that. Young and Sanchez are 2 players who are totally different from the ones we have. Either of them would suit us perfectly.

Sanchez won't be coming here though. Young is more realistic

We are on the same point, Hernandez offers something completely different to Berbatov, form then dictates who plays, it should be the same right throughought the team.

Sanchez won't be coming here though. Young is more realistic

I don't understand why our own supporters feel we can't pull off a big transfer and have to settle for second best, Sanchez has been spoken highly of by Fergie and for 3 years now reports have repeatedly said he wants to play for us, on the other hand Young's only known preference is a CL side.
The game may breed a cynical attitude but not every player is a whore and the lure of United is still very strong.

Why some of you would not want Young for 15 million (ish) baffles me.

It's not about not wanting him, it's simply some of us think there are superior options with more to offer.

15m for Ashley Young who is in the last year of his contract after this summer is a little too steep. I'm sure many will agree he will be a decent buy if it was 10m

You saying he can play in a midfield 2? Seen him play a fair amount of time, don't think he has the intelligence and discipline to do that. At the spear of a 3, probably yes...

I think he's good enough to compete with Park, Nani and Valencia, moreso since the team won't rely solely on him to make things happen. He'd do better than Valencia and Nani on the left and offer another option as a second striker. I think Fergie is attracted to his attacking adaptability, playing anywhere across the attacking side of things...

Yeah been lots of talk about Liverpool edging ahead of us for Young, be a shame because i rate him but hes obviously going to play more at a lower level there than he is at the top end of football with us.

I was a big advocate for us signing him but since Rooney's started dropping much deeper again, playing more as attacking mid in a 4-4-1-1 with Hernandez up top, Young isn't really the type of player we need as he play in a similar position to Rooney and would take up Rooney's space.

He's not really used on the Left anymore and there are better Left Wingers out there than him and he doesn't play in the midfield area we need reinforcing.

I say let Liverpool have him.

I was a big advocate for us signing him but since Rooney's started dropping much deeper again, playing more as attacking mid in a 4-4-1-1 with Hernandez up top, Young isn't really the type of player we need as he play in a similar position to Rooney and would take up Rooney's space.

He's not really used on the Left anymore and there are better Left Wingers out there than him and he doesn't play in the midfield area we need reinforcing.

I say let Liverpool have him.

I just liked the idea of him joining our wide player ranks, with Giggs probably a year away from retirement it would be nice to have the options of Nani/Valencia/Young/Park, 4 quality wide options at any given time, especially given injury's and such like affect you over a season its dangerous to rely on just the same 2 or 3 players week after week, as we saw how much we missed Valencia this year having Young would have eased the burden.

I can't see how he'd fit in especially of Cleverley comes back.

Park will play the big games on the left, both Valencia and Nani are better than he is. Would be quite steep for someone who'll be warming the bench more often than not.

Interesting that every single paper has this Young to Liverpool story. Someone has been doing a paper route, an agent I'm guessing.

Am I the only one who wants Young here for next season?

I think he could have the same impact as Valencia here.

I'm neither here nor there.
If we get him, that's fine. If we don't, i'm still fine with that.

Well, if we are in for him, I can't imagine he would opt for Liverpool. No one in their right mind would do that. Harry "Liverpool are about to embark on a long period of dominance" Kewell being exhibit A.

I'd like him here, he's a realistic target and a good player. Right now we have three wingers, we've been forced to play someone not suited to that position a couple of times this season like Obertan or Fletcher, we will do well to bring in a 4th winger. We play 50+ games a season, he won't have any trouble playing 30-40 of them as he can also be used in the middle in 4-2-3-1.

I'd like him here if it's him or nothing but he's nothing like as good as someone like Sanchez.

His set piece delivery would really add value and I guess the prospect of Carroll being fed his corners etc is mildly worrying.

I think he'll end up at Liverpool tbh.

Will be a good signing for them no doubt.

I'm neither here nor there.
If we get him, that's fine. If we don't, i'm still fine with that.

Yea, I agree with this.

I don't want him here, but if we did sign him he'd be a useful squad option. I just don't see the point, nor do I see the benefit for him of spending more time on the bench.

He's a good player, he can play as a winger obviously but can play second striker too. Would rather us go after Sanchez if we had to choose one or the other.

Its about the squad people!!!! He'd give another great set of options given his own skillset. He can play on either wing, delivers consistantly in terms of assists and thats with fecking Heskey up there! His promise through the middle has been evident as well. I think he'd surprise alot of people. Plus his ego wouldnt be an issue if he's dropped etc. Could the same be said for some of the other names being banded about?

I really think Mata would suit us more though, Question marks all over for A.Youngs final ball, he is a good player but Mata would provide that finishing touch and that intelligence similar to what Giggsy is doing now.

Three years younger than A.Young too... But would cost more.

Wouldn't mind A.Young similar to Valencia.

Why all the comparisons with Valencia? He's nowhere near as strong and I haven't seem him show the same willingness to track back.

I wouldn't mind having him here but there are other better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.