A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleverley has an amazing football brain and I think alot of our fans will get to see that next year. If he develops as I hope he does... don't quote me on this but you could be looking at England's own version of Xavi and Ineista with him and Wilshire... I rate him that highly.

Steady on mate!

Cleverley has an amazing football brain and I think alot of our fans will get to see that next year. If he develops as I hope he does... don't quote me on this but you could be looking at England's own version of Xavi and Ineista with him and Wilshire... I rate him that highly.

As long as we're not putting to much pressure on him then...

I would agree that a central midfield player is a priority, and I very much doubt that the pursit of a top player for that position would be sacrificed for a winger - but it seems that various areas of the squad ane under consideration.

people forget that Fergie has bought english based talent before - the likes of Henning Berg and Dwight Yorke weren't the most highly rated players but became integral parts of very succesful squads. It is, after all, about building a squad capable of challenging on all fronts with sufficient strength in depth that you have quality to replace quality.

If there is enough money to cover both then that would be great, I was just speculating that we could save money and put it all into the one position we are weakest in.

I agree that the squad depth is very important these days and we already have the strongest in the league IMO.

I'm not suggesting you advocate the approach of buying unproven foreign players - it was a general point which remains valid. You only have to go into other threads on the forum to see people wetting themselves over form players in other leagues and advocating spending mega millions to get them.

True but it's not unusual that fans growing up watching football to like the idea of having the next great Brazilian in our team, plus given our success in developing exciting talents like Ronaldo and Nani who bring flair and skill to our team, the hope will always be there that we could strike gold again with one of these young players.

For what its worth I've seen plenty of Ashley Young playing in the PL and have been fairly consistently impressed. He's no Ronaldo - but very few are. Valencia for example is a strong, quick and direct player capable of getting in a great cross - no more, no less. He plays in a certain way and that fine - doesn't stop him being good at what he does.

Fair enough, he is a decent player and my initial post calling him mediocre was perhaps born from frustration, I just don't see him as anything more than Park's successor.

You may think that Welbeck and Cleverly deserve a chance and thats fair enough - perhaps they do, but it doesn't mean other players wouldn't be a good investment. My view is that if a player is good enough he'll make it, regardless of who's infront of him - and if not, and the player can't make an impression the club has clearly benefitted from the form of the lad keeping him out. Its a win win situation for United and why all managers like to have selection headaches when everyone's in form.

That is usually the case but when we already have two to drawer wingers, adding in another seasoned PL winger to go along with Park will make it very hard.

Welbeck is a striker not a winger. Do you think that we shouldn't have signed Hernandez just because we already had Welbeck and Macheda to contend the 3rd-4th place role? Same thing can be said about Young.

The difference was the scouts seemed to see something special with Hernandez and he was coming in with Welbeck obviously planned to be loaned out, and Owen incredibly injury prone, so he had a good shot at 3rd spot.

I suspect Cleverly will not be used as a winger but as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation

Young would give us more options, is consistent, and importantly is English

He's played most of his football for Wigan and I believe Watford as a wide forward though.

Why is it important he is English? I thought we were well covered on the home grown front.

The difference was the scouts seemed to see something special with Hernandez and he was coming in with Welbeck obviously planned to be loaned out, and Owen incredibly injury prone, so he had a good shot at 3rd spot.

What makes you think that Young would not do the same? Valencia and Yorke were surprise buys from smaller EPL sides. They both proved useful to have around.

I wouldn't claim Villa to be a small side. And Yorke had been very consistent, even exceptional at times, for Villa for close to a decade before his transfer. It was a very good signing when it occurred, though only because the likes of Batistuta, Shearer, Salas et al had turned down moves prior to. It's also been said that SAF's brother tried to get the club to sign a guy named Van Nistelrooy that summer but PSV beat them to it.

What makes you think that Young would not do the same? Valencia and Yorke were surprise buys from smaller EPL sides. They both proved useful to have around.

I'm not saying he can't, I am saying with Park and Cleverley we don't necessarily need him to, where as Hernandez was looking to take the spot from a player who is often injured.

Transfer news: Aston Villa slap £25million valuation on Ashley Young as Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham prepare bids - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk
Aston Villa have slapped a £25million price tag on England star Ashley Young.

The 25-year-old is almost certain to quit Villa Park this summer after breaking off contract talks.

He’s been with the club more than four years following a £9.65m move from Watford, but will have just 12 months left on his deal by the summer.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Spurs are all keen and Villa privately admit they have little choice but to sell the ace as delaying could see him go for free.

Young has told pals he is still undecided about where he will play next season but is looking to boost his pay from £65,000-a-week to nearer the £100,000 mark.

Villa are confident they can achieve their mega valuation, given Young’s recent performances for England and the fact so many big clubs are in the hunt.

25 Million for a player who is in his last year of contract :lol:

Villa will atmost get around 15Mil for Young

Is he any better than the wingers we already have?

I'd much rather we stick with Valencia, Nani and Park. Each one is a different type of player. Each one complements each other perfectly.

I'd much rather we stick with Valencia, Nani and Park. Each one is a different type of player. Each one complements each other perfectly.

Think he's different than them.

Valencia and Park are very direct wingers that like to cut in and Nani is a trickster winger. Ashely is fine getting chalk on his boots and making things happen from there, great technique, but can also play at the top of a 5 man midfield. He offers set piece abilities with his free kicks and corners. Would be our best crosser of the ball too alongside Valencia.

Don't know if we need him now. It seemed like the need was greater when Park and Valencia were out. Now they're back we seem to be coping well. And we've got reserves / young players who need to make the step up.

I'm not saying a team will use it, but if Young wants out, then Villa would be silly to put an unrealistic price tag on him.

He'll probably go to Liverpool

Not to mention that Cleverley is coming back and Fabio looks like he can potentially get games out on the wing.

As do I. Good talented british players on the cheap are a rare commodity. Even more so, ones who are ready to be slotted into the first team right away and with the impending retirement of scholes and giggs, we need to make sure that a good part of the squad remains british.

And the fact a Nani/Valencia/Young/Park wing quartet rotated throughout the season would be fantastic, think Scholes will retire in the summer and Giggs will be used a lot more centrally next year as he was in the games against rent boys.

And the fact a Nani/Valencia/Young/Park wing quartet rotated throughout the season would be fantastic, think Scholes will retire in the summer and Giggs will be used a lot more centrally next year as he was in the games against rent boys.

Yep, besides All 4 of those players that you have mentioned are versatile enough to cover other positions as well. I honestly dont see why someone would think signing Young would be a hindrance. Obviously other than the fact that it shouldnt come at a price of signing a central mid which obviously is an area that needs to be addressed more urgently.

Christ if that £25 million figure were true I'd hope we'd go for Mata instead. All the same positions, all the same qualities but a great left foot and a better player.

Yep, besides All 4 of those players that you have mentioned are versatile enough to cover other positions as well. I honestly dont see why someone would think signing Young would be a hindrance. Obviously other than the fact that it shouldnt come at a price of signing a central mid which obviously is an area that needs to be addressed more urgently.

Think Rodwell could be the midfield signing, and im not 100% convinced by him, would be happy with him along with a proper ready made top player like a Sneijder but not sure if thats possible, Rodwell alone wont really improve our midfield options as of today.

Young
De Gea
Sneijder

My perfect summer. :D

Nah, Villa would be stupid to ask for that kind of money. Obviously not more than the club who might be willing to pay it.

Yeah I cant believe the figure either. But, well, sometimes English players do go for ridiculous prices. If he's available at a knockdown price I can see why we would be interested. If he's only available for figures around £20 million then there are better options to look at

Christ if that £25 million figure were true I'd hope we'd go for Mata instead. All the same positions, all the same qualities but a great left foot and a better player.

Of course its not true, Villa are in no position to demand anything, Youngs got a year left on his contract, in 6 months he'll be able to talk to clubs of his own free will, they wont run the risk of losing him on a free when they could get up to 15 mil for him this summer.

He wont go for a penny above 15 million, id be surprised if he went for more than 12.

£25m :lol:

The Mirror is such a rag. He'll no doubt move and it'll be for a fraction of that with his contract position.

If he's as good as some seem to think then what's to say a club like Liverpool who have already shown they'll pay over the odds, wont come in and stump up a big fee to try and get him?

If he's as good as some seem to think then what's to say a club like Liverpool who have already shown they'll pay over the odds, wont come in and stump up a big fee to try and get him?

When they can go in for another talented player with that kind of money and get young for free a year later ? Nah, even they cant be so desperate to pay 25m.

If it comes down to a choice between us and Liverpool.....:)

To be honest im not even convinced Liverpool are going to throw around that much money, all the hailing of Henry after january about spending all that money people forget Suarez and Carroll were funded by the Torres sale, he actually spent a net of 5 million.....hardly flashing the cash is it.

Dont think Liverpool will be the big spenders a lot of their fans think they will.

Of course its not true, Villa are in no position to demand anything, Youngs got a year left on his contract, in 6 months he'll be able to talk to clubs of his own free will, they wont run the risk of losing him on a free when they could get up to 15 mil for him this summer.

He wont go for a penny above 15 million, id be surprised if he went for more than 12.

Depends entirely on who comes in for him. There could still be a bidding war between several English clubs. He'd improve Liverpool and Chelsea more than us and both of those could be splashing the cash in the summer

When they can go in for another talented player with that kind of money and get young for free a year later ? Nah, even they cant be so desperate to pay 25m.

How do they know he wont move this summer?

We went in and activated buyout clauses on Nani and Anderson because other English sides were circling them. If Ashley Young is determined to be a player Liverpool, City or Chelsea want then there's every reason to think they'll go the extra yard and outbid the rest.

How do they know he wont move this summer?

We went in and activated buyout clauses on Nani and Anderson because other English sides were circling them. If Ashley Young is determined to be a player Liverpool, City or Chelsea want then there's every reason to think they'll go the extra yard and outbid the rest.

Outbid by a couple of million maybe. But not 25 mill for a player in the last year of his contract. Henry or for that matter nobody would be that stupid. If Young already has a destination in mind, then that brings Villa's stance down a bit, not the club in question.

As for Young's position, I'm quite sure he wants to move what with delaying contract talks and Villa languishing near the relegation zone. He's in good position to command a desired move for himself. There are only two questions here, one, where does Young want to go, two, does that club want him or not, if not, there will be a host of good clubs vying for signature, but not for 25 mill, I assure you.

If Young is that good though there will be other suitors such as Ekeke mentioned, So if Liverpool want him it's unlikely they can just wait a year. whoever wants him will make it happen this summer, but again I think it's unlikely if managers in the Prem rate him as some in here do, that there wont be a bidding war that will raise the price beyond the bargain figure some are expecting us to get him for.

If it comes down to a choice between us and Liverpool.....:)

To be honest im not even convinced Liverpool are going to throw around that much money, all the hailing of Henry after january about spending all that money people forget Suarez and Carroll were funded by the Torres sale, he actually spent a net of 5 million.....hardly flashing the cash is it.

Dont think Liverpool will be the big spenders a lot of their fans think they will.

You make a fair point about the Torres sale offsetting the January buys, but City and Chelsea are other possible contenders, probably not City as they seem to be aiming a bracket higher with Sanchez, but I could see Chelsea being interested given Malouda's age and Young is from London so that could be a factor as well.

If they're serious with that 25m price tag, it's essentially them saying it's worth more than 12m or so to them to keep him for another season - which seems a bit silly.

If Young is that good though there will be other suitors such as Ekeke mentioned, So if Liverpool want him it's unlikely they can just wait a year. whoever wants him will make it happen this summer, but again I think it's unlikely if managers in the Prem rate him as some in here do, that there wont be a bidding war that will raise the price beyond the bargain figure some are expecting us to get him for.

I agree there wont be a bidding war because IMO the whole thing is already settled behind the scenes, its just not official or announced, either of the two.
But I do not think that anybody will be paying over the odds, irrespective of Liverpool/any other club's needs or Young's quality. He's a very good player, no doubt, but no world beater yet atleast.

Exactly. There wont be any bidding war for him no matter how many sides want him. Villa wont want to risk losing him for nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.