A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
ฺBut who would be the ideal pick to replace Scholes though ?

Sahin ? Goetze ? Pastore ? Hamsik ? Defour ?

I think Giggs has what it takes to play in the centre... But I would love it if we go for a prospect MF like Anderson again...

To expensive. We also need a replacement for Hargo.

Very well put, such a disappointing signing, a £12M bench warmer I guess, but with very little potential to evolve beyond being merely solid.

I dont understand the negativity.

This year, without Valencia its been clear we've lacked a wide player with class at times.

In a good season United will have 50 plus games. Players will get injured and need a rest, players will also suffer a dip in form at some stage. Competition for places also gets players to raise their game.

Titles are won with strength in depth and a large squad. We should win the league this year but we've ridden our luck at times and next year the other top sides will stregthen.

For the record he's a good player. Consistent performer in the PL for a team who up until this season have been in and around the top 6, and available at a decent price. I personally think he'll be even better in a better team - as was the case with Valencia.

If he goes to Spurs or Liverpool and does well people on here will be shouting and screaming about how we missed an opportunity,

If this is true, it could be Valencia all over again. I mean, I remember when we signed Valencia everybody thought we over-paid for him, and look at it now. Some of you are amazing at times.

ฺBut who would be the ideal pick to replace Scholes though ?

Sahin ? Goetze ? Pastore ? Hamsik ? Defour ?

I think Giggs has what it takes to play in the centre... But I would love it if we go for a prospect MF like Anderson again...

Any one of the first four!

Joga_Bonito, I think people are underestimating him. He's no Cristiano Ronaldo, but he's a very good player. And I think much like Dwight Yorke, he'll further improve with the players we have.

I've no idea what Fergie's plans are. Heck, I've no idea if we're even interesting in signing Young at all, and after people were so certain last summer we were going for Joe Cole - we weren't - I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt. But I can see why we'd be interested. Winger, can play several roles, very good player, English, good age, good price. He's provide good amo for our strikers, he can score goals, he can take a free kick. Is he as special as Nani? No, neither is Valencia, but it's not just about getting the best players for every position but getting the balance right.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Even if his name is not Alexis Sanchez or Eden Hazard. He can solve several problems for us, and hopefully leave us with the cash we need for other areas.

I honestly don't believe that I am. I'm a huge fan of Valencia, and I've said that he is roughly at that level. Unless you believe that he is better than Valencia, I can't possibly be underestimating him relative to your own opinion.

Dwight Yorke is a good example of a player who had one absolutely outstanding season and then couldn't replicate it. That was obviously his own fault to a large extent, but I would argue that it was also because there was no longer that element of surprise and that he simply wasn't at the level of the best players in the world. Even if he had retained his hunger for success it is doubtful that he would have ever reached that level again in the years following 1999, in my opinion.

We've had many players like that through the years, and it's part of the reason why we haven't always had enough to win the Champions League. The very best players not only have the technical quality to make the difference in the vital moments, but are dynamic and able to hurt teams in a variety of ways. Few English players are like that, unfortunately. As with Valencia, Young is a somewhat limited footballer by comparison to the very best, and his strengths are not so outstanding that those limitations don't matter.

That he is still at Aston Villa and has only just become a semi-regular in the England team at 25 years old actually says far more about his quality than I ever could.

That he is still at Aston Villa and has only just become a semi-regular in the England team at 25 years old actually says far more about his quality than I ever could.
It really doesn't. England is a nation that takes long to appreciate its better players. That is how a player like Lennon has been getting more playing time than Young.

It really doesn't. England is a nation that takes long to appreciate its better players. That is how a player like Lennon has been getting more playing time than Young.

You'll have to give me some concrete examples because most of the best players that we have produced in recent times have become regulars fairly early on in their careers. Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Wilshere, Lampard, Ashley Cole, etc, were all fairly regular starters for England in their early twenties at most.

Perhaps if you go back to the 70's and 80's that would be the case, and it does not rule out genuine late developers, of course.

I honestly don't believe that I am. I'm a huge fan of Valencia, and I've said that he is roughly at that level. Unless you believe that he is better than Valencia, I can't possibly be underestimating him relative to your own opinion.

Dwight Yorke is a good example of a player who had one absolutely outstanding season and then couldn't replicate it. That was obviously his own fault to a large extent, but I would argue that it was also because there was no longer that element of surprise and that he simply wasn't at the level of the best players in the world. Even if he had retained his hunger for success it is doubtful that he would have ever reached that level again in the years following 1999, in my opinionld.

Dwight Yorke was 100% an example (like Lee Sharpe, like Paul McGrath, like Norman Whiteside) to why when people say 'Fergie would have sorted this and that out' (Gazza usually), I think they are over confident in his (or anyones) abilities. Yorkie had great talent, he could have been the best striker in europe and in the treble season he was. But it got to his head and he couldn't get that hunger back. It wasn't about ability, it was about his head. Getting within one year from Villa to a treble with United was too much for him. He wasn't like Giggs, or Scholes, or Neville or many of our others players who when the summer ended, just started again.

I'm a huge fan of Valencia as well. And like you, I think they are at a pretty similar level - Just different players. Young will give us an option on the left, a free kick taker, and together that trio, having that choice between them, maintaining pace on the wings even when one is out, can make a huge difference for us.

It doesn't have to be provided with a world class player. You CAN overload things. For instance, I'm not sure playing with Ronaldo and Nani on the wings would be a good thing, not when there's only one ball on the pitch. Further depth with a quality player who has the sort of abilities Giggs now lacks (or at least can't do it every game), and Park never had, is one of the crucial elements for us. A keeper is more important, a midfielder is more important. But if we have the cash, the space in the squad and the ability to get Young for a good fee, by all means.

I wouldn't say that anyone has been obviously better than Nani over the last year, apart from both Messi and Ronaldo, of course. As you have rightly suggested, neither is an orthodox wide player, but a kind of new breed of player who, while having starting positions, influence their teams in a much more profound way than most.

Nani would probably need to be similarly influential next season to be classed as one of the best players in the world in his position, in my opinion, because there are so many examples of players who have a brilliant season or 18 months and then never quite reach those heights again. I certainly don't expect that to happen with Nani, to be honest, largely as a function of the club that he plays for and the demands that are expected of him. It's a question of semantics, I suppose, with regard to whether a player is, at this very moment, one of the best, or genuinely one of the best, which should require longevity.

As to who we should sign, unlike some I am convinced that another player in the wide attacking positions would be beneficial, but it's obviously not a priority. I have to admit that the options are somewhat limited, which is why I wouldn't be overly concerned by the signing of Young. Two players that definitely stand out as potentially among the best in the world are Hazard and Sanchez, but there can be any number of reasons why they wouldn't be available or even desired by the club.

Other options would be a player like Neymar, who, while not really a wide player, looks to have the potential to become similar to Messi and Ronaldo in his ability to influence the team from any starting position. And we also have our own players in Welbeck, Cleverly, and even Morrison, who are likely to have to play slightly out of position in their formative years because of the importance of having established players in the center of midfield and attack.

At this point, I would probably prefer that we wait and see if a player of genuine potential either emerges or becomes available in the near future, particularly as it isn't a current priority, and for the club to focus on other areas of the team. But having said that, that very focus might be the reason why we are possibly looking to sign a player like Young for a relatively good price, which would certainly be understandable if not mine own preferred choice.

Another great post.

There are a few names who could replace Scholes in his current role or at the very least, greatly improve on who we'd have left over (Anderson or Carrick as our playmaker) trying to play the Scholes role.

Ideally we'll be looking for a player to become as good as Scholes at his best, thats when there are few names of available players. But the current Scholes is so much less than he used to be, that replacing what he gives now is a bit easier.

While I agree that getting in the type of CM who can dictate play is crucial, if what was said the other day is true, then the players are keener to have a Hargreaves type.

I dont understand the negativity.

This year, without Valencia its been clear we've lacked a wide player with class at times.

In a good season United will have 50 plus games. Players will get injured and need a rest, players will also suffer a dip in form at some stage. Competition for places also gets players to raise their game.

Titles are won with strength in depth and a large squad. We should win the league this year but we've ridden our luck at times and next year the other top sides will stregthen.

For the record he's a good player. Consistent performer in the PL for a team who up until this season have been in and around the top 6, and available at a decent price. I personally think he'll be even better in a better team - as was the case with Valencia.

If he goes to Spurs or Liverpool and does well people on here will be shouting and screaming about how we missed an opportunity,

My negativity comes from where Joga is coming from, if we were buying a player with the potential to be special I could see the point in adding another wide man, but Young is not that player, he's a decent run of the mill Prem player that will be a back up only. Now for that next season we have Welbeck and Cleverley both coming back in who can occupy that back up spot along with Park who we only lost this season through the Asian cup.
It seems the main reason to buy Young is he's cheap and English.

As for the latter part about moaning if he did well somewhere else, I never bother with that, you simply don't know that a player coming off well at one club would do the same at another so I don't fret on players we missed.

Another great post.

My negativity comes from where Joga is coming from, if we were buying a player with the potential to be special I could see the point in adding another wide man, but Young is not that player, he's a decent run of the mill Prem player that will be a back up only. Now for that next season we have Welbeck and Cleverley both coming back in who can occupy that back up spot along with Park who we only lost this season through the Asian cup.

As for the latter part about moaning if he did well somewhere else, I never bother with that, you simply don't know that a player coming off well at one club would do the same at another so I don't fret on players we missed.

Young has more than enough ability to be a starter over Nani or Valencia plus Welbeck and Park are not wingers. Our main problem out wide is the fact that we have converted wingers which is why Giggs plays there so much.

Like Fergie said about Yorke.. United will we a great platform for Young to test himself amongst the worlds best and I think he will actually relish that opportunity.

Young has more than enough ability to be a starter over Nani or Valencia plus Welbeck and Park are not wingers. Our main problem out wide is the fact that we have converted wingers which is why Giggs plays there so much.

Like Fergie said about Yorke.. United will we a great platform for Young to test himself amongst the worlds best and I think he will actually relish that opportunity.

I don't agree at all, there's no way he's better than Nani or Valencia, the only advantage he has is he is more comfortable on the left than either. Welbeck and Park may not be out and out wingers but we are talking about cover which is why both count as they are versatile.

I don't agree at all, there's no way he's better than Nani or Valencia, the only advantage he has is he is more comfortable on the left than either. Welbeck and Park may not be out and out wingers but we are talking about cover which is why both count as they are versatile.

But it's a squad game and we only have two out and out wingers. Cover is not enough, your cover can be your 4th choice. Thinking Ashley Young will only come in as cover is a bit disrespectful to the lad. He's better than most on here are giving him credit for. I didn't say he was better than Nani or Valencia I am stating he can overtake them as first team starters which non of our current wingers can do.

But it's a squad game and we only have two out and out wingers. Cover is not enough, your cover can be your 4th choice. Thinking Ashley Young will only come in as cover is a bit disrespectful to the lad. He's better than most on here are giving him credit for. I didn't say he was better than Nani or Valencia I am stating he can overtake them as first team starters which non of our current wingers can do.

I only see him as good enough for cover and in truth would rather see Cleverley used on the left when Nani and Valencia are not both available. Maybe I'll be eating humble pie next season if he's bought, but right now I feel he'd be a hugely underwhelming signing.

You'll have to give me some concrete examples because most of the best players that we have produced in recent times have become regulars fairly early on in their careers. Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Wilshere, Lampard, Ashley Cole, etc, were all fairly regular starters for England in their early twenties at most. ....
Hoddle and Scholes to pick out 2. Totally under appreciated.

To be honest though Chief Scholes was the second player out of our gold crop to be a regular for England after Gary Neville.
Scholes was dumped in favour of Lampard and Gerard when he was getting to his peak years. Then when he retired from internationals they started moaning about how they miss him

There is no doubt in my mind its a shame that the likes of Lennon and Downing have got more game time for England than Young. Certain players are just never appreciated by England selectors. Think Mcmanaman in his Madrid days.

I only see him as good enough for cover and in truth would rather see Cleverley used on the left when Nani and Valencia are not both available. Maybe I'll be eating humble pie next season if he's bought, but right now I feel he'd be a hugely underwhelming signing.

God knows if Cleverley want to return to OT and what impact would he have on the team. I mean ok he did fairly well with Wigan but nowhere near to what Richardson did at Sunderland. The last thing we need is another Crawley game were our 'promising' and well paid wingers were humilated by pub club team.

I think that spending 12-14m on Ashley Young is a bargain that we simply can't close our eyes on. Ashley is an English international, he's good (good pace and technique), he is versatile and he's still young. If Cleverley does well then we can always move Young upfront as Rooney's cover. Don't forget that Giggs is 37 while Park (whose game is mainly all workrate) is 30.

I think that our kids should fight for a chance with the big guys just like anybody else. Giggs was able to dislodge Lee Sharpe at age 18. Why can't Cleverley or Welbeck do the same with Young if they are so promising and he's so average?

Another great post.

While I agree that getting in the type of CM who can dictate play is crucial, if what was said the other day is true, then the players are keener to have a Hargreaves type.

He's arguably been one of the best players in the PL over the last few seasons, certainly one of the best english players year on year - including (I think) winning PFA young player of the year and being the stand out player in a good side.

Its typical fantasy - people would rather we spend £30 million on some brazilian kid who's a glamour player than buy proven english talent, despite the risks that go along with Foreign talent. Look at Robinho at City - touted as a superstar and couldn't hack the physicality of the PL. Balotelli is another who looks like he'll struggle despite costing a fortune.

Being reasonably cheap and English he's at attractive proposition, but the main reason to buy him is because he's a good player. Skilfull, quick and versatile.

At a time when the bulk of any transfer funds will need to be spent in other areas an addition of a quaility player for probably not much more than an unproven talent from Portugal cost last year is good business, because right now they clearly dont have fortunes to gamble on a winger.

Seemingly some people on her don't rate Young and thats fair enough, but if Fergie deems him worthy of a place in the sqaud then he'll no doubt play plenty of games and probably do very well indeed in a better side.

Judging by the posts most of you made, take note we actually haven't sign him yet

And like I previously said, it's possible we might not be interested. The media were certain we were getting Joe Cole, but we probably weren't even looking there. It's all about what ifs, just like the entire Transfer Forum...

Our set pieces are unacceptably poor, Young would sort that out straight away.
The biggest reason to get him beyond all else.

I don't know why anyone would have qualms about getting him for under £15m. He'd be a very good addition.

Judging by the posts most of you made, take note we actually haven't sign him yet

We probably won't.
There were alot of Joe Cole done deal in the summer and shit like that as well.

People (media and fans) think "reasonably cheap (value), not a bad player, winger (we like them and could use some cover in the future), English (ferguson likes to have an english core at the club)" and 1+1=2.

He probably doesn't rate him much either, just like Joe Cole (and what a bullet we dodged there). :D

dont understand the negativity in here tbh.

Ashley Young has been one of the best wide players in the league for a few seasons now and is noticeably improving year on year. He's quick, direct, naturally left footed and creates and scores goals with a good level of regularity. he takes set peices, has a good temperament, he's english and just coming into his peak years now. true he's no Nani but he can still beat a man and true he's no valencia but he can hold his own strength wise. he played pretty much in a front 2 with agbonlahor earlier in the year and he showed great composure tucking his chances away.

personally i think he'd be an excellent signing should it happen

dont understand the negativity in here tbh.

Ashley Young has been one of the best wide players in the league for a few seasons now and is noticeably improving year on year. He's quick, direct, naturally left footed and creates and scores goals with a good level of regularity.
he takes set peices, has a good temperament, he's english and just coming into his peak years now. true he's no Nani but he can still beat a man and true he's no valencia but he can hold his own strength wise. he played pretty much in a front 2 with agbonlahor earlier in the year and he showed great composure tucking his chances away.

personally i think he'd be an excellent signing should it happen

This is whats wrong with this part of the forum

Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has actually watched the players and some misinformation gets passed on

He's naturally right footed. And I dont think he has visibly improved year on year - but he has improved this year, playing in the hole. Improved his passing that is. And his goalscoring isnt all that great

Its true, he's better than Valencia ever was at Wigan. If he was to improve as much as Valencia has at United I do think he'd be a really good player

God knows if Cleverley want to return to OT and what impact would he have on the team. I mean ok he did fairly well with Wigan but nowhere near to what Richardson did at Sunderland. The last thing we need is another Crawley game were our 'promising' and well paid wingers were humilated by pub club team.

I think that spending 12-14m on Ashley Young is a bargain that we simply can't close our eyes on. Ashley is an English international, he's good (good pace and technique), he is versatile and he's still young. If Cleverley does well then we can always move Young upfront as Rooney's cover. Don't forget that Giggs is 37 while Park (whose game is mainly all workrate) is 30.

I think that our kids should fight for a chance with the big guys just like anybody else. Giggs was able to dislodge Lee Sharpe at age 18. Why can't Cleverley or Welbeck do the same with Young if they are so promising and he's so average?

It's hardly fair to compare any of the current young crop to Giggs who is a once in a lifetime talent. Both Cleverley and Welbeck have did all they can on loan to show they merit a chance, putting someone in front of them when we already have plenty in the cue already seems unnecessary to me.

He's arguably been one of the best players in the PL over the last few seasons, certainly one of the best english players year on year - including (I think) winning PFA young player of the year and being the stand out player in a good side.

When his name came up in a less certain light a few months back the general consensus was that he had not progressed from that season where he won young player of the year, despite his goal and assist stats being pretty consistent.

Its typical fantasy - people would rather we spend £30 million on some brazilian kid who's a glamour player than buy proven english talent, despite the risks that go along with Foreign talent. Look at Robinho at City - touted as a superstar and couldn't hack the physicality of the PL. Balotelli is another who looks like he'll struggle despite costing a fortune.

You read a lot into one line, I never mentioned some Brazilian kid from youtube and I am not against English talent, I am an advocate of us getting Rodwell and the two young players I would like to see given a chance over Young are both English.

Being reasonably cheap and English he's at attractive proposition, but the main reason to buy him is because he's a good player. Skilfull, quick and versatile.

At a time when the bulk of any transfer funds will need to be spent in other areas an addition of a quaility player for probably not much more than an unproven talent from Portugal cost last year is good business, because right now they clearly dont have fortunes to gamble on a winger.

It could also be argued that if funds are very tight it would be better to keep that £12M to add to our midfield budget and get a really top class CM.

Seemingly some people on her don't rate Young and thats fair enough, but if Fergie deems him worthy of a place in the sqaud then he'll no doubt play plenty of games and probably do very well indeed in a better side.

To clarify, I think he's a decent player and for a side with no wingers like Liverpool or as an addition to City who only have one true winger once SWP goes, I'd say he's a good buy, I just feel for us he's a superfluous buy given the superb talent and solid back ups we have wide already.

How many said that about Valencia, and yet now he is one of our most important players?

I admit I was skeptical of Valencia as well, but my point isn't so much that Young can't do a job, it's that unlike Valencia who had a hole in the team to slot straight into, we are maybe going to buy a player who isn't as good as what we have and is unlikely to force either player out and only put a further block int he way of someone like Cleverley even getting a shot as a back up, unless of course someone is being sold that we aren't suspecting.

It's hardly fair to compare any of the current young crop to Giggs who is a once in a lifetime talent. Both Cleverley and Welbeck have did all they can on loan to show they merit a chance, putting someone in front of them when we already have plenty in the cue already seems unnecessary to me.

When his name came up in a less certain light a few months back the general consensus was that he had not progressed from that season where he won young player of the year, despite his goal and assist stats being pretty consistent.

You read a lot into one line, I never mentioned some Brazilian kid from youtube and I am not against English talent, I am an advocate of us getting Rodwell and the two young players I would like to see given a chance over Young are both English.

It could also be argued that if funds are very tight it would be better to keep that £12M to add to our midfield budget and get a really top class CM.

To clarify, I think he's a decent player and for a side with no wingers like Liverpool or as an addition to City who only have one true winger once SWP goes, I'd say he's a good buy, I just feel for us he's a superfluous buy given the superb talent and solid back ups we have wide already.

I would agree that a central midfield player is a priority, and I very much doubt that the pursit of a top player for that position would be sacrificed for a winger - but it seems that various areas of the squad ane under consideration.

people forget that Fergie has bought english based talent before - the likes of Henning Berg and Dwight Yorke weren't the most highly rated players but became integral parts of very succesful squads. It is, after all, about building a squad capable of challenging on all fronts with sufficient strength in depth that you have quality to replace quality.

I'm not suggesting you advocate the approach of buying unproven foreign players - it was a general point which remains valid. You only have to go into other threads on the forum to see people wetting themselves over form players in other leagues and advocating spending mega millions to get them.

For what its worth I've seen plenty of Ashley Young playing in the PL and have been fairly consistently impressed. He's no Ronaldo - but very few are. Valencia for example is a strong, quick and direct player capable of getting in a great cross - no more, no less. He plays in a certain way and that fine - doesn't stop him being good at what he does.

You may think that Welbeck and Cleverly deserve a chance and thats fair enough - perhaps they do, but it doesn't mean other players wouldn't be a good investment. My view is that if a player is good enough he'll make it, regardless of who's infront of him - and if not, and the player can't make an impression the club has clearly benefitted from the form of the lad keeping him out. Its a win win situation for United and why all managers like to have selection headaches when everyone's in form.

Welbeck is a striker not a winger. Do you think that we shouldn't have signed Hernandez just because we already had Welbeck and Macheda to contend the 3rd-4th place role? Same thing can be said about Young.

If the kids are good enough then they will eventually win their place. Giggs did it and so did Fletcher whom at one time of his career he was considered our 5th choice midfielder (Behind Scholes and new signings Hargreaves, Carrick and Anderson). These things do happen.

:drool:

Wtf is the fella in the background on? I want some!!!

That really proves nothing. It was a dire attempt at a block from the Hammers player.

More salient is the fact that we had something like 16 corners and never looked threatening. Vidic and Smalling are beasts in the air, yet neither look threatening at the moment on our attacking set pieces. It really isn't good enough.

I admit I was skeptical of Valencia as well, but my point isn't so much that Young can't do a job, it's that unlike Valencia who had a hole in the team to slot straight into, we are maybe going to buy a player who isn't as good as what we have and is unlikely to force either player out and only put a further block int he way of someone like Cleverley even getting a shot as a back up, unless of course someone is being sold that we aren't suspecting.

Agreed.

We do need to sort out set piece problem out. It's shame we can't bring a player on just to take FK's who can then go back and sit on the bench, Hargo might be of some use then.

We do need to sort out set piece problem out. It's shame we can't bring a player on just to take FK's who can then go back and sit on the bench, Hargo might be of some use then.

Hargo isn't fit enough for that.

I suspect Cleverly will not be used as a winger but as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation

Young would give us more options, is consistent, and importantly is English

I suspect Cleverly will not be used as a winger but as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation

Young would give us more options, is consistent, and importantly is English

Right, Cleverley will probably play a similar role to Park's current one. Use him on the wings if needed, but predominantly used through the middle in a three man midfield. Park's no spring chicken, so to have a ready made replacement (who's from the academy to boot) is brilliant.

Right, Cleverley will probably play a similar role to Park's current one. Use him on the wings if needed, but predominantly used through the middle in a three man midfield. Park's no spring chicken, so to have a ready made replacement (who's from the academy to boot) is brilliant.

Cleverley has an amazing football brain and I think alot of our fans will get to see that next year. If he develops as I hope he does... don't quote me on this but you could be looking at England's own version of Xavi and Ineista with him and Wilshire... I rate him that highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.