A. Young | Guardian: Medical today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a good buy for us.

I have no doubt he would play a good role for us.

We need at least 1 absolute world class centre midfielder, also.

Don't like. Not good enough technically.

I think he is okay. I mean he will be an able backup to either Nani or Valencia and if he performs better than them, then he deserves to start. But his price seems to be pretty high. Anywhere around 10m and I think that should be good enough.

I'd say hes better then ok Young is also a proven PL player can play left, right and centre at a good price yeah let it walk.

That should have been your top transfer priority for the best part of five years now.

To be fair we bought anderson with the view of "growing" our own, and Hargro with the idea that hopefully he wouldn't injured all the time.

I don't mind Young as long as he is banned from using Webcams while he plays for us. Otherwise he will get stuck to his keyboard and suffer some unfortunate injury

Other then where did you hear that? None at the minute :)

I've been told by someone who works for AIG, he's got no interest in football, no reason to lie about this.

July 1, 11.8m, 92k p/w, done deal done apparently.
thoughts?

I would be delighted with that apart from his wages but I reckon he will demand that much as Villa have apparently offered him a lot as well. £11.8m for a proven winger who will win us games is great, possibly our only outfield Summer acquisition.

Yes why would former sponsors be involved or consulted or informed about transfer decisions?

I hardly think when Hernandez was signed that there was a panic in the boardroom over whether or not someone had remembered to keep Sharp informed.

I never said AIG had anything to do with it. People asked me what my source was. I answered that he works at AIG. I don't really give a stuff whether people believe it or not. Ive passed the info on in good faith. Let's see what happens...

I never said AIG had anything to do with it. People asked me what my source was. I answered that he works at AIG. I don't really give a stuff whether people believe it or not. Ive passed the info on in good faith. Let's see what happens...

But AIG aren't a source. Surely a source should be something associated with the club. Or else you might as well say that your mate who works at the Co-Op said so. Fantastic if he did but I'd hardly call him a source.

If Villa go down we could get him for peanuts. And I mean peanuts. Well, expensive peanuts. I wouldn't pay £6m for a bag of nuts but you get the idea.

AIG are a pretty huge insurance company, they may be who United insure their players with and could have been informed of the deal to sort out paperwork?

thoughts?

That's a lot for an insurance policy. ;)

Just for the sake of it, no problem here. The fee is fine, won't eat away too much of whatever budget we have (assuming we have a decent one). As for the wages, I just don't care. Whatever the club believes it can afford, assuming it keeps us under the magical 50%.

Question is should i take this to the bookies??:smirk:

Tbf he might still have connections we United people doesn't really matter whether they still sponsor us or not.

thoughts?

As I've said elsewhere, I would be slightly underwhelmed, personally, not because he isn't a very good player, but because he isn't obviously better than what we already have at the club, and I don't see him improving to the extent that he ever will be, even with the inevitable improvement that comes with playing with better players and in a better team. If there was a real need, as there was when we signed Valencia, for example, then I would be much more positive, particularly if very few alternatives were available at the time.

As an alternative to both Nani and Valencia, he is obviously a very good player indeed, but if he isn't ever going to improve to the extent that he eventually replaces either of them, as could happen if we bought a young player with that kind of potential, it leaves the impression that the club is somewhat 'standing still', rather than looking for players of the absolute highest quality for the future.

Young is of a similar quality to Valencia, in my opinion -- i.e. never likely to become one of the best players in the world in his position -- but he would at least offer certain qualities that are lacking in the games of both Nani and Valencia, and he is probably more comfortable on the left hand side than either of them, despite being similarly right footed. As a player, then, he would certainly improve our squad, which is a plus point in itself, and he may prove an intelligent signing for a relatively small transfer fee, particularly if money is to be spent elsewhere on the team.

If that were to happen, then the signing of Young would make a lot more sense, but I would still rather that we looked for players with the potential to improve on what we already have at the club, unless there is an obvious and/or urgent need.

just heard similar from a solicitor i know that deals with a lot of the players contracts. seems to have legs. when i say similar they just said 12mil, wouldnt divulge any info on salary

As an alternative to both Nani and Valencia, he is obviously a very good player indeed, but if he isn't ever going to improve to the extent that he eventually replaces either of them, as could happen if we bought a young player with that kind of potential, it leaves the impression that the club is somewhat 'standing still', rather than looking for players of the absolute highest quality for the future.

Considering how important wing play is to us, I think making sure we have another pacey option on the wing is very important. Giggs can't play every game, Park, even when on form, is more of a tactical decision rather than a pure winger. Our attack will benefit greatly if we can always offer a double outlet, which we couldn't this season. It doesn't have to be a player better than Nani or Valencia, and sometimes you can't look for a great young talent project. We took on the Obertan Operation nearly two years ago and that hasn't provided us with anything yet.

Young for 12m, getting us well covered on the wings, hopefully keeping the bigger money for bigger things. Yeah, I'm fine that with.

As I've said elsewhere, I would be slightly underwhelmed, personally, not because he isn't a very good player, but because he isn't obviously better than what we already have at the club, and I don't see him improving to the extent that he ever will be, even with the inevitable improvement that comes with playing with better players and in a better team. If there was a real need, as there was when we signed Valencia, for example, then I would be much more positive, particularly if very few alternatives were available at the time.

Young is of a similar quality to Valencia, in my opinion -- i.e. never likely to become one of the best players in the world in his position -- but he would at least offer certain qualities that are lacking in the games of both Nani and Valencia, and he is probably more comfortable on the left hand side than either of them, despite being similarly right footed. As a player, then, he would certainly improve our squad, which is a plus point in itself, and he may prove an intelligent signing for a relatively small transfer fee, particularly if money is to be spent elsewhere on the team.

If that were to happen, then the signing of Young would make a lot more sense, but I would still rather that we looked for players with the potential to improve on what we already have at the club, unless there is an obvious and/or urgent need.

When you break down our current options he is a very good signing. His similar but not similar to Valencia or Nani. He offers Valencia's directness but at the same time he has an element of creativity that we get from Giggs.

At 25 he is off the right age plus he improves our team because he shits on Park, Obertan, Bebe and at the moment Cleverley.

Wages are far too much but the price is fair and he would be a good signing.

I think he's vastly underrated by some on here. Look at his last 3 seasons totals (games/goals/assists)

39 9 17
48 9 14
49 9 16

And this is playing for an average side. Whatever you want to say about him, that's a massively consistent spell. This season he's got 29 8 8 (I believe in a new position of playing off the striker, too), so he's on course for another great campaign.

You add that into the fact he's 25, English, breaking into the England squad as an important player, and would cost <£15m... yeah, I think he'd be a fine addition.

No, I don't think he should be the ONLY addition, but this isn't a zero sum game.

Watched highlights of the Villa game yesterday and he didn't impress me that much, however i recall O'Neill describing Young as a world class player so if he says he is more than decent then i will settle for that.

If we were to sign Young, it would remind me of the Carrick signing in '06. Key position to be filled, English, experienced yet young, a bit underwhelming overall, but would be the exact sort of player for saying "In Sir Alex we trust." Of course if he were the only signing this summer like Carrick was that year, I'd be shocked due to the gk needs.

Does anyone know how quick he is? Is he quicker than Nani/Valencia?

Status
Not open for further replies.