A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

He is the outstanding candidate for sure but when one looks at the players he is working with at Spurs namely, Eriksen,Kane,Son,Trippier,Ali,Verthongen etc its pretty much got quality all over the pitch,something Utd simply havent got, scarily massive rebuild needed at Utd and he would need 100 percent backing to spend heavily,I hope he asks for those assurances if he at some point enters into talks about taking over at Utd!

I think he will get a minimum of 150 million like Jose and LvG did. Woodward usually backs the managers in the first season. Assuming he comes in, if he has an eye for bargain signings and assesses our squad properly (understanding Jones-Valencia-Young-Lingard etc are all useless), he will spend wisely and ensure we get 4-5 quality players, much like the fee Liverpool paid for Salah.

Another thought is - is Poch that great ? We are probably underestimating the Scouting/transfer business Spurs have done. Kane and Eriksen is one of the best in the world. They had the best defence in the league and an excellent GK. Yet he could win nothing .

Does he uses that squad's potential to its maximum ? Wouldn't any good manager get top 4 with that Squad ?

What has Poch done to prove he is capable of getting every bit from the squad ?

Have you watched Tottenham lately.
Not only do they play great football but they have a habit of winning matches when they don't play that well.

Its not like he didn't have a good project going on at Southampton when Spurs came calling.
This has been debunked time and time again. Southampton fired Nicola Cortese (Jan or Feb 2014), the man who had faith in a young, out-of-work, non-English speaking Poch and thus the man with whom Poch had trust and to whom Poch warned the board (in December 2013) had his loyalty. Additionally, they planned the first wave of Liverpool sell-offs of his star players which he was promised would not occur. Southampton effectively 'binned' Poch not the other way around. He warned them. They were not loyal to him so he felt no loyalty to them.

for all the mess behind the scenes, opportunities to manage United only come along every couple of seasons (groan)
Yes, yes this opportunity will come around again in 2-3 seasons such is the pattern. So why would he rush to jump ship from a club where he is adored, a team of low-ego hard workers, and a chairman (however financially constrained or tight) who respects him and lets him get on with the job to a club in turmoil where neither the fans nor the board have the humility to accept what needs to occur? The board and the fans don't recognize what truly needs to happen (a rebuild) because of 'history' and their desire for a return to the old times of glory by any means necessary.

Not taking the piss here but Klopp was magnificent for Liverpool when he first came by calling out the supporters ('you are the problem' I think were his words) for wanting immediate success because of 'history'. He said it was a project that would take 5 years and interestingly he reiterated similar sentiment this weekend in response to Jose's dig about trophies and success. What is interesting is that for the 4 seasons Klopp has been at Liverpool their fans have been ecstatic and can barely contain their elation at the football being played and the 'success'. Poke fun at no trophies all you want but Europa final, CL final, and now a title run is not shabby and I am sure that any reasonable United fan would trade the 'successful' Jose era of transfer window wins, big lies (treble the lesser or the lesser treble?), propaganda, narcissism, tantrums, and soul-selling for the foundation Klopp has built over there. He has seen out 2 of your trophy-winning managers and is just getting started.

All the while United fans have been miserable at the dross on display, a club in disarray, a 'team' of misfit parts, and a rudderless board focused on noodle sponsors and not the actual product that makes those noodle sponsors possible. United+Fergie was a great club because it had a great manager steering it in the proper direction. This United does not resemble that club though it does in all the supporters' minds - the effect of branding. This is a post from the Guardian that sums up where many see United right now:

United become everything they laughed once. Spending money like City, talking about history like Liverpool, aiming 4th place like Arsenal and changing managers like Chelsea.

That is not intended as a dig but I believe it sums up how many outside of this forum view United at present. Why would Poch move to this? And if your first inclination is to answer with something resembling trophies (history), big club (history), or money (plastic club) then you have identified yourself, to yourself and others, as part of the problem. The answer should be because United is a great football club with players that give their all for the badge playing football that gives supporters value entertainment for their hard-earned cash; supporters that support the players and manager whatever the outcome because of the trust that has been engendered; and a leadership with an ambitious sporting intent. Is that United right now? Has that been United since 2012?

Poch has this now and he recognizes it. He just made a statement about 'feeling respected at home' and why he is happy at Spurs. Why would he throw it away? Objectively, would you? I have no fear that Poch will leave Spurs for United. He may leave Spurs but if he does, which I doubt, and it is this summer, the more likely option would be RM as that position will be available - and they only get 2-3 years as well. But as long as the club is loyal to him he will be loyal to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan
He is the outstanding candidate for sure but when one looks at the players he is working with at Spurs namely, Eriksen,Kane,Son,Trippier,Ali,Verthongen etc its pretty much got quality all over the pitch,something Utd simply havent got, scarily massive rebuild needed at Utd and he would need 100 percent backing to spend heavily,I hope he asks for those assurances if he at some point enters into talks about taking over at Utd!
I mean I think Spurs do have better players but not by a large distance. Spurs regularly line up with the likes of Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Davies, Aurier, who let's face it, no United fans would be queueing up to take. Poch just has an ability to get the most out of the team and players he has, even the average one.

Another thought is - is Poch that great ? We are probably underestimating the Scouting/transfer business Spurs have done. Kane and Eriksen is one of the best in the world. They had the best defence in the league and an excellent GK. Yet he could win nothing .

Does he uses that squad's potential to its maximum ? Wouldn't any good manager get top 4 with that Squad ?

What has Poch done to prove he is capable of getting every bit from the squad ?

Massively over rating Spurs players as individuals. Their gk isn't better than any of the keepers at the top clubs. Their wing backs aren't 'special'. Bar two exceptional centre backs, Eriksen and Kane I don't think many Spurs players as individuals walk into the top clubs.

I think he will get a minimum of 150 million like Jose and LvG did. Woodward usually backs the managers in the first season. Assuming he comes in, if he has an eye for bargain signings and assesses our squad properly (understanding Jones-Valencia-Young-Lingard etc are all useless), he will spend wisely and ensure we get 4-5 quality players, much like the fee Liverpool paid for Salah.
Well we can hopefully get Alderweireld for free next summer, that's one CB sorted. Eriksen for cheap would be good too, but doubt Levy would sell
I feel he will take at least one season to sort this mess out, so even if he comes I don't expect any miracles straight away

I mean I think Spurs do have better players but not by a large distance. Spurs regularly line up with the likes of Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Davies, Aurier, who let's face it, no United fans would be queueing up to take. Poch just has an ability to get the most out of the team and players he has, even the average one.

Massively over rating Spurs players as individuals. Their gk isn't better than any of the keepers at the top clubs. Their wing backs aren't 'special'. Bar two exceptional centre backs, Eriksen and Kane I don't think many Spurs players as individuals walk into the top clubs.

I think Son is good. Bar his finishing. Ali is very good at finishing stuff. Alright in general play but more often than not gets on the end of things.

So, would he bring any players with him do you reckon...?

I've often wondered how Pochettino would fare without Kane and how Kane would far without Pochettino.

Likewise, I've always seen Harry Kane as a future United striker.

The resident Spurs fans @GlastonSpur @InLevyITrust @balaks and whoever else I forgot won’t like this but...

Man Utd, Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca are behemoths, they are giants of the game. When they come calling it’s very difficult to turn them down.

It doesn’t matter how we’re doing in the league, if Spurs have a fancy cheese counter, it doesn’t matter that Phil Jones is still at the club...

When Man Utd call you, tell you you’ve got a huge transfer kitty and that they want you to make Utd great again, it’s going to be very, very difficult to turn down.

The only issue Man Utd will face is Real Madrid, not Spurs.

Tottenham aren’t in the same universe as United when it comes to prestige and history. Pochettino will be ours IF we want him.

Again, sorry Spurs fans - you will disagree and get your finances and new stadia arguments out but I deal in facts only.

It is only a fact when we know who your next permanent manager is, until then it's just opinion. If Poch goes to Utd then I'll hold my hands up and accept what you have said, until then I happily can say 'feck you'.

Well we can hopefully get Alderweireld for free next summer, that's one CB sorted. Eriksen for cheap would be good too, but doubt Levy would sell
I feel he will take at least one season to sort this mess out, so even if he comes I don't expect any miracles straight away

Eriksen would be a big win for us. Club lacks a player of his ilk. But I imagine Levy, being the savvy fecker he is, will negotiate a clause whereby Poch cannot poach (heh) Spurs players if he joins us.

I am sure we can get some lesser players who turn out to be gems like Gwendoozy, Torreira and Salah though, with a DoF appointment to help the manager as well. For the first time in 2 years I am actually feeling excited about our prospects.

The resident Spurs fans @GlastonSpur @InLevyITrust @balaks and whoever else I forgot won’t like this but...

Man Utd, Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca are behemoths, they are giants of the game. When they come calling it’s very difficult to turn them down.

It doesn’t matter how we’re doing in the league, if Spurs have a fancy cheese counter, it doesn’t matter that Phil Jones is still at the club...

When Man Utd call you, tell you you’ve got a huge transfer kitty and that they want you to make Utd great again, it’s going to be very, very difficult to turn down.

The only issue Man Utd will face is Real Madrid, not Spurs.

Tottenham aren’t in the same universe as United when it comes to prestige and history. Pochettino will be ours IF we want him.

Again, sorry Spurs fans - you will disagree and get your finances and new stadia arguments out but I deal in facts only.

Facts? You've mostly stated an opinion, namely that Pochettino will be yours if you want him.

Here are some actual facts:

1) Just over a year ago, Pochettino said: "I hope I stay 10-15 years at Tottenham"

2) Pochettino signed a new contract 6 months ago - just before the CL final - without waiting a few days to find out if the RM job would become vacant depending on the result of that final.

3) After signing his new contract he said ""I am honoured to have signed a new long-term contract as we approach one of the most significant periods in the club's history and be the manager that will lead this team into our new world-class stadium ... Daniel and I have spoken at length about our aspirations for this football club. We both share the same philosophies to achieve long-term, sustainable success".

4) When the RM rumours re-surfaced after they sacked Zidane's successor, he said: "Do I feel I need to reassure him [Daniel Levy]? No, because in football there are many things that you don’t need to [say]."

5) Today Pochettino said re. Mourinho's sacking: "It is not my business what has happened in another club now. I am so focussed on trying to deliver my best job at this football club."

Just to confirm, would United need to negotiate with Levy in order to get Poch or will it be a set compensation?

Facts? You've mostly stated an opinion, namely that Pochettino will be yours if you want him.

1) Just over a year ago, Pochettino said: "I hope I stay 10-15 years at Tottenham"

2) Pochettino signed a new contract 6 months ago - just before the CL final - without waiting a few days to find out if the RM job would become vacant depending on the result of that final.

3) After signing his new contract he said ""I am honoured to have signed a new long-term contract as we approach one of the most significant periods in the club's history and be the manager that will lead this team into our new world-class stadium ... Daniel and I have spoken at length about our aspirations for this football club. We both share the same philosophies to achieve long-term, sustainable success".

4) When the RM rumours re-surfaced after they sacked Zidane's successor, he said: "Do I feel I need to reassure him [Daniel Levy]? No, because in football there are many things that you don’t need to [say]."

5) Today Pochettino said re. Mourinho's sacking: "It is not my business what has happened in another club now. I am so focussed on trying to deliver my best job at this football club."

I cannot wait for him to join. Kane too.

Just to confirm, would United need to negotiate with Levy in order to get Poch or will it be a set compensation?

We can try to negotiate if we do not want to pay up the full amount. If we do, nothing Levy can do.

Pochettino is very good at working with players though.

He wanted to sign Martial, right? So he obviously believed he could get him to work in our system. Son was a poor presser in his first season, but a year working under Pochettino and he was ready. Players can learn how to press if they have the right attitude and they feel motivated enough by their manager.

I think Pogba & Martial would both be key for Pochettino. I saw enough in the World Cup and at Juventus to see that Pogba isn't merely a lazy luxury player, in the right system with the right manager guiding him he can work well.
fair points, it was kinda in response to spurs fan above that said typical poch move is to drop players that don't do it his way (industrial) and start playing kids / other players that will do it regardless of ability. It reminds me a bit of McTominay, Lingard and Young playing ahead of more popular players here. My main worry is if the united players will take the easy way out and give up as they have done consistently for years now. Need to back the new man with patience to change culture and get rid of players that don't fit, even if they end up being pogba and martial ... none of this 'id rather sack the manager than lose x player'

Poch is already flirting with the job mate, it’s all over the internet.

He’s ours :drool:

Contracts in football mean very little these days.

Pochettino’s response was a very generic one, he also didn’t rule us out.

We would have to negotiate a compensation fee with Levy (somewhere in the region of £40 million by all accounts) in order to get Poch.

The 6-month long charm offensive begins today. Get to work Ed!

Poch is already flirting with the job mate, it’s all over the internet.

He’s ours :drool:

:lol: ... what's all over the internet is a lot of click-bait, liberally spiced with wishful thinking and media guff. Enjoy.

I’d pay for him no problems.

We’ve witnessed that a 400m squad can play like turd if the wrong man is in charge. 35m, if that’s the price, is bugger all for the stand-out candidate

We would have to negotiate a compensation fee with Levy (somewhere in the region of £40 million by all accounts) in order to get Poch.

The 6-month long charm offensive begins today. Get to work Ed!
Woodward and Levy are money men. It shouldn’t take too long.

Not going to lie, but 99% of the reason I would want Pochettino is to see GlastonSpur's reaction.

That's what most managers say. Mourinho said lots of stuff about being at United. Besides with Levy tightening the purses, Poch knows he has done the best he can do and there is not much improvement he could build up on. It is obvious he wants bigger challenges.
You seem to be wrongly attributing his love for his contract to his love for Spurs as a club. Professional managers are always open to bigger challenges. Which is why he didn't deny anything.

It's fine. Really they are only winding themselves up with big expectations that will crash and burn when they end up with Conte or some such.
Glast, you really fecking dislike Utd and it’s fanbase don’t you?

May I ask what you get from posting in here? I’ve always wondered.

Are you actually real or a robot?

I think Poch would be mental to leave what he's doing with those cnuts. Empires rise and fall and I think he'd be much happier and more successful staying where he is.