A serious look at Mauricio Pochettino

I guess the question for United fans would be if you did get Pochettino, how patient would you be prepared to be with him?

His first season with us was not a resounding success. We had a lot of the rot removed from the club, figures like Paulinho and Adebayor were frozen out in favour of players with lesser reputations but ones who were prepared to work and were humble enough to learn from him. The likes of Ryan Mason being the best example of that, technically not of the standard required but he adored playing at the club and when he played there was no question over his commitment or willingness to work. In the first Pochettino season we were a very disjointed side, we wanted to press but didn't really do it cohesively, and our defence was often left totally exposed as a result of a totally ineffective midfield.

I see a lot of players at United who simply will not fit in with how Pochettino wants to play, or even if they do it will take a season or so to adapt their game. There will be a lot of upheaval in the first season and I could see you being a very inconsistent side, and there are plenty of fans around who get very frustrated very quickly. Especially fans of a club like United who demand trophies at all costs, which I do not view as Pochettino's philosophy. He wants to build strong foundations, he is not interested in short term success at the expense of long term prosperity.

I'd be interested to see how he did with you, honestly. Obviously I'd much prefer he remain with us (and genuinely do believe he will be our manager next season) but purely from a curiosity standpoint I'd like to see how he would work with a club like United, and whether he would adapt his approach.
Fans are more than patient. Jose finished 6th in his first season . As long as we try to play attacking football fans and Board will be patient . Moreover , expectation is only top 4 for our management which is very much achievable in epl with Spurs.

This is really quite a simple set of next steps for United:

- Get a DoF in
- Hire Poch
- Give Poch money

I have zero faith in our board though and am convinced they will balls it up.

Poch prefers not to have a DOF.

Yeah, but we need to think about the long term situation for our club.

Some sort of DoF is imperative to us having a bridge between the commercial and football side of the club.

End of the day, Poch probably also doesn't like working under a skinflint owner but he's always made the best of it.

Happy day! I don't know if we can get Poch if we want him, but if Glaston comes I'll write that Poch is begging us for a job just to see him huff and puff. I'm happy today.

Yeah, but we need to think about the long term situation for our club.

Some sort of DoF is imperative to us having a bridge between the commercial and football side of the club.

End of the day, Poch probably also doesn't like working under a skinflint owner but he's always made the best of it.

:lol: Read his latest quotes on Levy. Also would Carrick be just demoted to coach? I thought there were high hopes for him as manager?

Fans are more than patient. Jose finished 6th in his first season . As long as we try to play attacking football fans and Board will be patient . Moreover , expectation is only top 4 for our management which is very much achievable in epl with Spurs.

Yeah but he won the Europa League, therefore qualifying you for the CL. As well as a league cup.

It's a very realistic possibility that in a first season with United, Pochettino could finish outside the top four with no trophies. There is serious competition for those 4 spots, and other managers would have the advantage of a full season with their team, whereas Pochettino would be starting from scratch. Even Guardiola struggled somewhat to bring success in his first season, he finished third but managed no trophies, and he took over when the competition for top four was less fierce, and with a superior side to the one Pochettino would inherit.

That would mean back to back seasons at United without Champions League football. I think it would be interesting to see how patient the United fans would be in that scenario, especially since at Spurs the football wasn't exactly sparkling in the first season under Poch. We struggled in a lot of ways and whilst there were bright sparks (Kane in particular) there were also a lot of questions hanging over Pochettino.

Yeah but he won the Europa League, therefore qualifying you for the CL. As well as a league cup.

It's a very realistic possibility that in a first season with United, Pochettino could finish outside the top four with no trophies. There is serious competition for those 4 spots, and other managers would have the advantage of a full season with their team, whereas Pochettino would be starting from scratch. Even Guardiola struggled somewhat to bring success in his first season, he finished third but managed no trophies, and he took over when the competition for top four was less fierce, and with a superior side to the one Pochettino would inherit.

That would mean back to back seasons at United without Champions League football. I think it would be interesting to see how patient the United fans would be in that scenario, especially since at Spurs the football wasn't exactly sparkling in the first season under Poch. We struggled in a lot of ways and whilst there were bright sparks (Kane in particular) there were also a lot of questions hanging over Pochettino.

Agree with a lot of this, Poch in his first season with us was pretty bland sideways football not that different to AVB, I remember many fans saying we had made a mistake. His first year was spent basically getting rid of the players he didn’t want while finding the players he wanted to keep. If and it’s a big if, it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Agree with a lot of this, Poch in his first season with us was pretty bland sideways football not that different to AVB, I remember many fans saying we had made a mistake. His first year was spent basically getting rid of the players he didn’t want while finding the players he wanted to keep. If and it’s a big if, it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

In fairness, I do think he's improved as a manager since his first season with us, so perhaps his first season at United would be a different situation.

Is this the first ever managerial appointment where the cost is making it impossible ? Is this because of some innovation in contract or because of levy causing people to think incorrectly about it or just pure coincidence ?

:lol: Read his latest quotes on Levy. Also would Carrick be just demoted to coach? I thought there were high hopes for him as manager?

What has Carrick done to warrant such a promotion?

Poch is a diplomat but he's also a mercenary. He's moving to a big club at some stage. You have a much better team than us at the moment but the resources of the respective clubs are poles apart and that must be tempting for any manager.

I think he will have an awfully hard job shipping out the players he doesn’t want at United thou.

True, IIRC he sent Adebayor to the reserves for a season though so could see a few just disappear from the picture if necessary, and it's not as if United don't have the money to support that.

But that holds good for any managers. As long as we see an improvement in our playing style, that will be considered as a progress .

Problem with Jose was not about finishing top 4. It was about his playing style and antics. If he was an attacking manager , 100 % sure he would still be with us.

What has Carrick done to warrant such a promotion?

Poch is a diplomat but he's also a mercenary. He's moving to a big club at some stage. You have a much better team than us at the moment but the resources of the respective clubs are poles apart and that must be tempting for any manager.

I agree I’m not saying he wouldn’t be interested, I have said the opposite actually. I simply don’t think he has finished what he wants to finish with us, going by what he has said and done.

But that holds good for any managers. As long as we see an improvement in our playing style, that will be considered as a progress .

Problem with Jose was not about finishing top 4. It was about his playing style and antics. If he was an attacking manager , 100 % sure he would still be with us.

There are plenty of United fans who demand success to go along with the football, or simply view winning as more important than the style. You're a demanding club.

If your board go for him though, I'm pretty sure they will be prepared to give him a couple of seasons to assert his style. I just do wonder whether the fans would be quite as patient.

I have little faith that Pochettino will leave Spurs. It will be a spit in the face of Spurs fan for him to leave them when he has not finished building his project over there. It will be like when Adebayor did that infamous slide in front of Arsenal supporters.

I can see United hiring Zidane, Blanc or Allegri instead who are more attainable. However, I also believe Pochettino is very ambitious and if United negotiate well then it is possible.

He'll leave, he's stayed to see them out for the stadium then he'll be off. Hopefully here. What's the point in staying, they can't afford to compete with the best.

I agree I’m not saying he wouldn’t be interested, I have said the opposite actually. I simply don’t think he has finished what he wants to finish with us, going by what he has said and done.

Poch has taken this Spurs side further than anyone could have imagined, expecting him to take them any further given the limited resources at his disposal is just folly. The United project is the next logical step in his career.

You refuse to see it because you're a Spurs fan, which is perfectly understandable all things considered.

Another thought is - is Poch that great ? We are probably underestimating the Scouting/transfer business Spurs have done. Kane and Eriksen is one of the best in the world. They had the best defence in the league and an excellent GK. Yet he could win nothing .

Does he uses that squad's potential to its maximum ? Wouldn't any good manager get top 4 with that Squad ?

What has Poch done to prove he is capable of getting every bit from the squad ?

And face a revolt when United fans realise martial and pogba probably aren't the world's best pressers

Pochettino is very good at working with players though.

He wanted to sign Martial, right? So he obviously believed he could get him to work in our system. Son was a poor presser in his first season, but a year working under Pochettino and he was ready. Players can learn how to press if they have the right attitude and they feel motivated enough by their manager.

I think Pogba & Martial would both be key for Pochettino. I saw enough in the World Cup and at Juventus to see that Pogba isn't merely a lazy luxury player, in the right system with the right manager guiding him he can work well.

I have little faith that Pochettino will leave Spurs. It will be a spit in the face of Spurs fan for him to leave them when he has not finished building his project over there. It will be like when Adebayor did that infamous slide in front of Arsenal supporters.

I can see United hiring Zidane, Blanc or Allegri instead who are more attainable. However, I also believe Pochettino is very ambitious and if United negotiate well then it is possible.

He will move, I agree now is too soon, he could of gone to RM already if he was itching to leave Spurs. But he opted to stay on with his project.

I don't understand why you all are looking to Pochettino as the better manager for UTD. I have seen his side last year, playing against Juventus, and I think that he is not a very good manager. Average guys cannot do miracles.

I don't understand why you all are looking to Pochettino as the better manager for UTD. I have seen his side last year, playing against Juventus, and I think that he is not a very good manager. Average guys cannot do miracles.
Is Allegri average for blowing a 0-2 lead away at Bayern in 15/16?

Another thought is - is Poch that great ? We are probably underestimating the Scouting/transfer business Spurs have done. Kane and Eriksen is one of the best in the world. They had the best defence in the league and an excellent GK. Yet he could win nothing .

Does he uses that squad's potential to its maximum ? Wouldn't any good manager get top 4 with that Squad ?

What has Poch done to prove he is capable of getting every bit from the squad ?

Pochettino turned a lot of their average players into renowned athletes. Player management is a big reason of Spurs success and most managers doesn’t have that capabilities. When you look at how much United has spent, wouldnt you say that we should be challenging for the champions league and premier league most season?

I believe only Pochettino and only the 1% of top managers can get top four with this team. This team was built by Pochettino and they play towards his system. Seeing how Spurs still managed to compete with Son, Eriksen, Ali, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Dembele out injuried early in the season shows that he is capable of getting every bit out of his squad.

Did he have issues with mitchell??

Not publicly, in fact he's on the record stating how disappointed he was that Mitchell left. There does seem to be some suggestion from Spurs fans that I've spoken to that he elbowed Mitchell out a bit though.

Regardless if he wants to come, the speculation has the capacity to ruin Spurs' season.

He is the outstanding candidate for sure but when one looks at the players he is working with at Spurs namely, Eriksen,Kane,Son,Trippier,Ali,Verthongen etc its pretty much got quality all over the pitch,something Utd simply havent got, scarily massive rebuild needed at Utd and he would need 100 percent backing to spend heavily,I hope he asks for those assurances if he at some point enters into talks about taking over at Utd!

Not publicly, in fact he's on the record stating how disappointed he was that Mitchell left. There does seem to be some suggestion from Spurs fans that I've spoken to that he elbowed Mitchell out a bit though.

That's awkward considering that they followed each other out at spurs

Some team have bad games and good games. In addition, some teams are lucky and unlucky. If you watch his team player consistently, you would understand how good of a manager he is. Juventus couldn’t even beat one of the poorest United team in years at home and could have easily lost top spot in the group this season. If I use your logic then Mountinho is a fantastic manager that should still be at United